L2/02-057

L2/SD-2 -- Action items from UTC and L2

February 5, 2002

 

From UTC #89 and L2 #186, November 6-9, 2001 in Mountain View (Microsoft)

UTC#

L2#

Who?

Action

 

89-1

 

Joan Aliprand

Put the subject of mirroring of portions of the Unicode web site on the agenda for the officers retreat. (see 88-A22)

Done

89-2

 

Joan Aliprand

Put the subject of better documenting the Unicode patent policy on the agenda for the officers retreat. (see 87-A5)

Done

89-3

 

Eric Muller

Prepare a draft TR and a sample file of the UCD in the format proposed in document L2/01-194. (was 87-A39)

 

89-4

 

Rick McGowan

Check the html of the Math Tech Report and update appropriately (was 87-A69).

Done

89-5

 

Julie Allen, Editorial Committee

Fix the terminology in the Tech Intro, including composite (was 84-A28). See L2/00-184.

 

89-6

 

Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: 

Redistribute the UCD into appropriately named subdirectories in the 3.2 beta.

Done

89-7

 

Mark Davis, Editorial Committee

Establish and announce a public beta for Unicode 3.2

Done

89-8

 

John Jenkins, Rick McGowan, Richard Cook

Prepare an error analysis document of the errors in the database field for the Hanya Da Zidian for the upcoming IRG meeting. [L2/01-417]

Done

89-9

 

John Jenkins, Editorial Committee

Add links on the Unicode website to proposals for Unihan additions.

Done

89-10

 

John Jenkins

Notify the IRG that the UTC will be gathering a list of ideographs to be submitted to the IRG for Extension C. [L2/01-417]

Done

89-11

 

John Jenkins

Communicate to the IRG that the UTC has a requirement for a documented U-source. [L2/01-417]

Done

89-12

 

John Jenkins

Work with Cora to determine the status of IDS decompositions and then work on any gaps and post on-line.

 

89-13

 

John Jenkins

Relay the UTC's positions given in consensus statements 89-C2..5 to the IRG, copying WG2.

Done

89-14

 

Joe Becker

Retrieve the Xerox DB of Han variants to which Unicode values can be added for submission to the IRG.

 

89-15

 

Lisa Moore

Add an agenda item for UTC 90 to discuss the results of the December, 2001 IRG meeting.

 

89-16

 

Rick McGowan

Prepare a document exemplifying the variant problem. [L2/01-417]

 

89-17

 

John Jenkins, Asmus Freytag

Convey to WG2 that the UTC will request the IRG to indicate which proposed compatibility characters are duplicates of existing or proposed compatibility characters. Due to time schedules, the UTC will ask the IRG to help with indicating the duplicates in the DPRK set. [89-C6]

 

89-18

 

John Jenkins:

Prepare a document to send to WG2 that requests that in the future 10646 should use variant tags for distinguishing new simplified Chinese variants from their traditional counterparts. [89-M2]

 

89-19

 

John Jenkins, Editorial Committee

Incorporate text on the subject of simplified Chinese from L2/01-417, and add to Section 10.1 of Unicode 4.0.

 

89-20

 

Deborah Goldsmith

Create a work group to evaluate the characters from GB 18030 that are mapped to the PUA, and generate a proposal for handling these for UTC consideration. [L2/01-416]

 

89-21

 

John Jenkins, Editorial Committee

Update the language on the use of ZWJ for ligature control in Unicode 3.2  (it is not required for general ligature control and should only be used for linguistically important exceptions, see 89-C7). [L2/01-415]

Done

89-22

 

Mark Davis

Respond to the proposer of adding Arabic script honorifics, that the proposal was well received.  However, since it does not have to be decided until the next meeting, the UTC will delay consideration to allow more time to consult with experts in the field and have further discussion with the committee. [Kew, L2/01-425, 426]

Done

89-23

 

Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: 

Note in Unicode 3.2 and perhaps in a FAQ that subheaders in the names list are not normative.

Closed; on EC AI list

89-24

 

Ken Whistler

Update the pipeline page to include the three Arabic characters for Parkari (89-M3, L2/01-427).

Done

89-25

 

Michel Suignard

Include in ballot comments on PDAM 2, the three Arabic characters for Parkari (89-M3, L2/01-427).

 

89-26

 

Mark Davis

Ask the proposer of the three Arabic characters for Parkari, Jonathan Kew, for fonts. [L2/01-427]

Done

89-27

 

Officers:

Appropriately document the font policy approved in motion 89-M4.

 

89-28

 

Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee

Revise the text in L2/01-371 on Fast C or D (FCD) and incorporate into UAX #15 Unicode Normalization Forms as an informative annex as a part of Unicode 3.2.

Closed; on EC AI list

89-29

 

Mark Davis, Ken Whistler:

Prepare the list of characters with the soft dotted property and give to Ken Whistler for including in the 3.2 beta. (See 89-C10, L2/01-441, 445)

Done

89-30

 

Mark Davis

Produce a revised version of SpecialCasings.txt (which incorporates the fixes for Turkish and ensures NFC mappings) for the 3.2 beta. Check if any revisions are necessary for case foldings. (See 89-C11, 12). [L2/01-445]

Done

89-31

 

Mark Davis, Editorial Committee

Prepare a proposed update to UAX #21 Case Mappings based on L2/01-441. (See 89-M6).

Done

89-32

 

Mark Davis

Regenerate case mapping tables for 3.2, and for the use of the IDN group. Communicate any differences to the IDN group. [L2/01-441]

Done

89-33

 

Mark Davis, Ken Whistler

Post updated case mapping tables in the 3.2 beta directory. [L2/01-441]

Done

89-34

 

Mark Davis, Editorial Committee

Add a pointer from the versions page to DerivedAge.txt. [L2/01-451]

 

89-35

 

Mark Davis

Make updates to DerivedAge.txt as discussed and generate a datafile for the 3.2 beta. [L2/01-451]

Done

89-35a

 

All

Celebrate and congratulate the new UTC Vice Chair, Cathy Wissink!!

Done

89-36

 

Asmus Freytag, Ken Whistler

The officers need to extend, on behalf of the UTC, an offer to establish a liaison relationship with Cambodian representatives

 

89-37

 

Mark Davis, Editorial Committee

After review, post the approved update to Unicode Technical Report #22 Character Mapping Markup Language. [L2/01-315]

 

89-38

 

Rick McGowan

Post the names of the Unicode mailing lists on the website so that Apple can join the character mapping discussions. [L2/01-434]

 

89-39

 

Mark Davis, Editorial Committee

Update Unicode Technical Report #24 Script Names for Unicode 3.2, as described in 89-C14 and post

Closed; on EC AI list

89-40

 

Mark Davis, Editorial Committee

Create a  Proposed Update to Unicode Technical Report #18 Unicode Regular Expression Guidelines as described in 89-C15 and post. [L2/01-444]

 

89-41

 

Cathy Wissink

Suggest places in Unicode Technical Standard #10 Unicode Collation Algorithm that need expanded explanation by the end of November. [L2/01-446]

Done

89-42

 

Mark Davis, Editorial Committee

Create a  Proposed Update to Unicode Technical Standard #10 Unicode Collation Algorithm as described in 89-C16 and post. [L2/01-446]

 

89-43

 

Mark Davis

Update Proplist.txt for the new LogicalOrderException property and the associated ten Thai characters (0E40..0E44, 0EC0..0EC4). Include in the 3.2 beta. [Section 3.2.1, L2/01-446]

Done

89-44

 

Ken Whistler

Get Joe Becker's input on Han Folding

Done

89-45

 

Mark Davis

Send Asmus input on jamo foldings and other items. [L2/01-447]

Done

89-46

 

Asmus Freytag

Provide and updated document to the Editorial Committee as a base for a Proposed Draft Unicode Technical Report on Character Foldings. [L2/01-447]

 

89-47

 

Toby Phipps

Update the CESU-8 document as amended in discussion and forward to the Editorial Committee by November 21, for posting as a  Draft Unicode Technical Report. [L2/01-410]

Done

89-48

 

Editorial Committee

Review the updated CESU-8 document and posted as Draft Unicode Technical Report #26  Compatibility Encoding Scheme for UTF-16: 8-Bit (CESU-8). [L2/01-410]

Done

89-49

 

Ken Whistler

Update the pipeline with the twelve new Indic characters given in L2/01-431R.

Done

89-50

 

Rick McGowan

Update L2/01-430, 431R, draft a letter reflecting the characters accepted for encoding in 89-C19 and other actions to the Government of India for Mark Davis' signature. Send to Dr. Ohm Vikas.

Done

89-51

 

Rick McGowan

Draft a proposal summary form for the twelve newly accepted Indic characters and forward to WG2. [L2/01-431R]

 

89-52

 

Michel Suignard

Include the twelve accepted Indic characters in PDAM2 comments and include a request for appropriate glyph updates to U+0B66 and U+0A33. [L2/01-430, 431R]

 

89-53

 

Rick McGowan, Editorial Committee

Incorporate Indic documentation updates suggested in L2/01-431R, section 2, into the Unicode Standard.

 

89-54

 

Asmus Freytag

Correct the glyphs for U+0B66 and U+0A33. [L2/01-431R]

Partially Done

89-55

 

Asmus Freytag, Ken Whistler

Develop a consensus proposal on how to respond to the miscellaneous symbol additions from the DPRK standard. [L2/01-420]

 

89-56

 

V.S. Umamaheswaran

Ask the Korean Working Group for mapping verifications within a month. [L2/01-392]

Done

89-57

 

V.S. Umamaheswaran

Produce a document requesting that 10646 parts 1 and 2 be merged into one. [L2/01-392]

Done

89-58

 

Ken Whistler

Add to the pipeline all characters accepted or with code point changes agreed to in consensus statements 89-C20..24. [L2/01-420]

Done

89-59

 

Ken Whistler, Rick McGowan, Asmus Freytag

Produce a technical document that discusses implementing Khmer using the Unicode model.

 

89-60

 

Asmus Freytag

Arrange an ad hoc meeting on Khmer in Dublin, May 2002.

 

89-61

 

Officers

Consider a request to fund a representative from Cambodia to attend the next UTC.

 

89-62

 

Rick McGowan

Create a mapping table between the Khmer virama and subscript models.

 

89-63

 

Lisa Moore

Add Khmer to the agenda for UTC 90.

 

89-64

 

Asmus Freytag

Post a proposed update to Unicode Technical Standard #6  A Standard Compression Scheme for Unicode.

Done

89-65

 

Mark Davis, Editorial Committee

Create a proposal for Technical Notes that can be used for some of the information currently in the Proposed Draft Unicode Technical Report #25 Unicode Support in Mathematics.

 

89-66

 

Matthias Mittlestein

Work with Mike Ksar and write up a report on the status of UTF-16 support in C/C++ for UTC distribution.

 

89-67

 

Mark Davis

Update the proposal for a policy on characters allowed in XML identifiers with comments received during discussion and forward to the W3C. [L2/01-454].

Done

89-68

 

Mark Davis, Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee

More thoroughly document the policy on use of characters in identifiers from section B of  L2/01-454, and forward to WG2.

 

89-69

 

Mark Davis, Editorial Committee

Amend the Unicode policies statement to address keeping code point ranges stable regarding non-characters and default ignorable characters. (See 89-M10). [L2/01-454]

 

89-70

 

Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee

Add language to the standard on identifiers that describes the use of stable identifiers for meta-languages, and the tradeoffs involved in using them. [L2/01-454]

 

89-71

 

Mark Davis

Regenerate the two files for property aliases and add to the 3.2 beta. [L2/01-396R2]

Done

89-72

 

Rick McGowan

Update the JIS X 0213 FAQ and after review by Julie Allen, post on the website. [L2/01-442]

 

89-73

 

Ken Whistler

Update Blocks.txt to incorporate changes to names and ranges approved in consensus statements 89-C26..C29, add the updated files to the 3.2 beta, and write a document for WG2 that forwards UTC comments. [L2/01-422]

Done

89-74

 

Mark Davis

Communicate the results of the discussion of Arabic enclosing marks to the bidi committee (89-C27..28). Also, ask the bidi committee to investigate implementations of ARABIC END OF AYAH. [L2/01-428]

Done

89-75

 

Mark Davis, Editorial Committee

Update the standard to say that combining marks apply to grapheme clusters (89-C27..28). [L2/01-428]

Done

89-76

 

Asmus Freytag, Editorial Committee

Draft appropriate text which removes the restriction that the characters in the Zapf dingbat block only have the Zapf dingbat shape (89-C29). [L2/01-450]

Done

89-77

 

Mark Davis, Editorial Committee

Update the text of the standard and Unicode Technical Report #18 Unicode Regular Expression Guidelines regarding Korean syllabification and default rendering for version 3.2 (89-C29).

In progress,
done for 3.2

89-78

 

Joan Aliprand, Ed Hart

Send comments to the editor of DIS 2375 (registration of escape sequences and character sets) that relay our appreciation of the quality of disposition of comments. [L2/01-437R, 455]

 

89-79

 

Sandra Martin O'Donnell, Ken Whistler

Add additional US comments to the issues list in Annex D of 14652. [L2/01-367]

Done

89-80

 

Lisa Moore

Ask the convener of WG20 to ensure that national bodies are contacted to add their issues to the list in Annex D of 14652. [L2/01-367]

Done

89-81

 

Mark Davis

Examine the current collation order of Korean in the UCA.

 

 

186-1

Cathy Wissink

Notify Sun, Oracle, and Share that they are in jeopardy.

Closed

 

186-2

V.S. Umamaheswaran

Update WG2 Dublin meeting in SC2 resolutions.

Done

 

186-3

V.S. Umamaheswaran

Give Magda the dates for future WG2 and SC2 meetings.

Done

 

186-3

Ken Whistler

Draft comments for the 10176 Annex A ballot. [L2/01-362]

Closed

 

186-4

Lisa Moore

Contact Hideki Hiura and see if he will be attending the IRG December meeting.

Moot

 

186-5

Lisa Moore

Ask Sandra O'Donnell to organize and lead a meeting in February or March with selected people from the US TAGs to programming language committess for a frank discussion on the use of Unicode in programming language standards. Invite participation on unicore.

Closed

 

186-5

Joan Aliprand

Send a notice to unicode/unicore about the availability of ANSI/NISO standards.

 

 

 

From UTC #88 and L2 #185, August 14-17, 2001 in Redmond (Microsoft)

UTC #

L2 #

Who ?

Action

Status

88-1

 

Asmus Freytag, Editorial Committee

Update bidi and normalization source, post in the beta directory (was 87-A12).

Done

88-2

 

Lisa Moore

Update the UTC Procedures with the change in allowing e-mail proxy designations.

Done

88-7

 

Cathy Wissink

Update the draft GB18030 FAQ and distribute to Unicore, to be later posted on the Unicode web site on October 1, 2001. [L2/01-314]

Pending decisions from China

88-8

 

Arnold Winkler, Ken Whistler

Write a position paper on TR 10176 - there should be no more revisions of  TR 10176 as new characters are encoded, rather 10176 should be modified to point to the Unicode Character Database for determining identifiers.

 

88-9

 

Mark Davis

Explain more clearly in the Unicode Collation Algorithm why the default tables are ordered as they are and also list the scripts that have a preliminary ordering and are likely to change.

In Progress

88-13

 

Mark Davis, Ken Whistler

Update UTS#10 Unicode Collation Algorithm with items agreed to in 88-C3.

In Progress

88-21

 

Editorial Committee

Post any necessary errata to Unicode 3.1.1 plus an updated Unihan data file in the beta directory.

Done

88-22

 

Officers

Make mirroring of portions of the Unicode web site available to members on their intranets. Consider allowing member companies to have copies of the Unicode Standard PDF publications.

 

88-35

 

Lisa Moore

Respond to the proposer of the Arabic Kaf character that the UTC thinks the character is already encoded at U+0681. The character may need an annotation and/or an explanation. [L2/01-316]

In progress

88-37

 

Mark Davis, Arabic Ad-hoc

Make a recommendation on the Arabic characters proposed in Feedback on UNICODE Standard 3.0, and to make a recommendation on an annotation for U+0690. [L2/01-304, 305]

In progress

88-38

 

Editorial Committee
Lisa Moore

Create an erratum that notes the change in general category from Mc to Lo for U+0B83 TAMIL SIGN VISARGA, including a glyph correction. [L2/01-304, 305]

Done

88-44

 

Michael Kaplan

Communicate the change in general category of  U+0B83 TAMIL SIGN VISARGA from Mc to Lo to INFITT. [L2/01-304, 305]

Done

88-46

 

Murray Sargent

Inform the MathML working group of the six new math bracket characters encoded in 88-M10 and their intended use instead of the brackets already in the CJK symbols area. [L2/01-317R]

Done

88-51

 

Michel Suignard

Give comments to Mark Davis and Cathy Wissink on IDN name prep for them to forward to the appropriate people. [L2/01-318]

Done

88-54

 

Lisa Moore

Forward the UTC response on preserving normalization form when casing to Kent Karlsson. [L2/01-321, 327]

 

88-65

 

Editorial Committee

Post a draft list of math variant characters in StandardizedVariants in the Beta directory. [L2/01-324]

Closed; on EC AI list

88-66

 

Michel Suignard

Include in the US comments on FPDAM 1 a request to add 15 new variation selectors at FE01..FE0F and include in annex B1. This should be done in response to the IRG's request.

Done

88-69

 

Editorial Committee
Mark Davis

Complete the final review of the two new sections in UTR#22 Character Mapping Markup Language, 2.3.1 Simple SI/SO-Stateful Encodings and 2.5 ISO 2022, and post. [L2/01-315, 320]

In Progress

88-70

 

Toby Phipps

Update the document on CESU-8 with the feedback received during the meeting and forward to the Editorial Committee for their review and posting. [L2/01-328R2]

Done

88-73

 

Editorial Committee

Draft text for the next version of the standard (Unicode 3.2) that eliminates irregular sequences from UTF-8. [L2/01-276]

Done

 

 

From UTC #87 and L2 #184, May 21-24, 2001 in Pleasanton (Peoplesoft)

UTC #

L2 #

Who ?

Action

Status

87-5

 

Officers, Rick McGowan

Better document the Unicode patent policy.

In progress

87-8

 

Lisa Moore

Include in the minutes the link to the publicly accessible location .

 

87-10

 

Dave Birdsall

Initiate discussion of SQL character set issues and provide background information from L2/01-188 and the UTC discussion.

 

87-23

 

Rick McGowan

Get a Limbu font. [L2/01-137, 138, 139]

Moot

87-27

 

Arnold Winkler

Communicate with the US SC22 delegate that 15435 should be withdrawn.

Done

87-28

 

Markus Scherer, Cathy Wissink

Work with the Editorial Committee to update the GB 18030 FAQ and post. [L2/01-216]

Closed, see 88-7

87-29

 

Rick McGowan

Post GB 18030 mapping table with explanatory text.

Waiting for 88-7

87-30

 

Cathy Wissink

Verify the mappings for GB 18030 with the Chinese committee.

In progress

87-33

 

Uma

Develop an FAQ on JIS X 0213.

Done

87-34

 

Nobu Mori

Write up a document requesting that the C/C++ committees add a UTF-16 datatype and string literal support. Send to the UTC/L2 lists for review as a joint UTC/L2 proposal. [L2/01-195, 220]

 

87-36

 

Hideki Hiura

Inform Steve Clamagh (Chair of C++ committee) about the UTC proposal on supporting UTF-16 and ask to have it be considered. [L2/01-195, 220]

 

87-39

 

Eric Muller, Mark Davis

Produce a draft technical report for the next UTC and a sample file showing the Unicode Character Database in that format. [L2/01-194]

Superceded by 89-3

87-40

 

Rick McGowan, John Jenkins

Set up a database for UTC members to use to contain information about variants.

In Progress

87-43

 

Bidi Committee
Mark Davis

Analyze the bidi issues raised in the Atkin/Stansifer documents and make recommendations on what actions to take. [L2/01-218, 219]

In Progress

87-44

 

Mark Davis, Editorial Committee

Take the recommendations from the bidi committee on the issues raised in the Atkin/Stansifer documents and see if documentation changes are required and how such changes should be managed. [L2/01-218, 219]

 

87-46

 

Steve Atkin

Contact Mark Leisher and let him know about the bidi problems detected in his freeware.

Done

87-48

 

Bidi Committee
Mark Davis

Analyze the bidi issues raised in items 2, 3, 4, and 5 of document L2/01-214 and make recommendations to the UTC on what actions to take.

In progress

87-56

 

Mark Davis

Update UTR#17: Character Encoding Model with the new locale-independent grapheme property. [L2/01-086]

In progress

87-57

 

Mark Davis, Editorial Committee

Create appropriate erratum for the new locale-independent grapheme property. [L2/01-086]

Done

87-62

 

Unicode L2 Liaison

Ensure that the name changes to 29D1, 29D2, 29D4, 29D5 given in motion 87-M15 are part of the US comments on the FPDAM. [L2/01-227]

Done

87-64

 

Ken Whistler, Mark Davis

Develop a stability proposal for the UCA collation weight table.

In progress

87-66

 

Mark Davis, Ken Whistler

Post a draft update of UTS#10: Unicode Collation Algorithm and solicit feedback.

Done

87-69

 

Murray Sargent, Asmus Freytag

Update Proposed Draft UTR#25: Unicode Support for Mathematics, have it reviewed by the Editorial Committee and then post. [L2/01-226]

Done

87-72

 

Ken Whistler

Make updates to the East Asian width tables to reflect the changes agreed to in 87-M20. [L2/01-189]

Done

87-74

 

Ken Whistler

Write up the problem with the mapping of FA45 by JIS X 0213 and distribute to Japan SC2, IRG, and WG2 (Sato-san, Kobayashi-san, John Jenkins, and Mike Ksar) L2/01-164, p.82.

Moot

87-75

 

John Jenkins

Present the problem with the mapping of FA45 by JIS X 0213 at the June IRG meeting.

Closed

From UTC #86 and L2 #183, Jan. 29 Feb. 1, 2001 in Mountain View (MS)

UTC#

L2#

Who?

Action

Status

86-32

 

Rick McGowan

Initiate an internet draft describing the registration
process for namespace authorities. [L2/01-056]

Closed; controversial issue

86-57

 

Lisa Moore

Reply to the Patriarch of Georgia on behalf of the UTC.

 

86-78

 

Asmus Freytag, Editorial Committee

Review document L2/01-081, update as
appropriate, and post as Proposed Draft Technical Report#23: Survey and Guidelines for Unicode Character Properties.

 

 

183-85

Joan Aliprand,
Rick McGowan

Publish mapping tables for ISO TC46 standards

 

 

From UTC #85 and L2 #184, November 7-10, 2000 in San Diego, (NCR)

UTC#

L2#

Who?

Action

Status

85-38

 

Om Vikas

Provide text for Indic script block introductions, particularly including information on syllable formation.

Closed

 

From UTC #84 and L2 #183, August 8-11, 2000 in Boston (Progress)

UTC#

L2#

Who?

Action

Status

84-04

 

Asmus Freytag

Complete the table given in the Character Foldings proposal, L2/00-261, and make suggested updates including the rationale section.

Done

84-29

 

Toby Phipps

Include the issues raised in L2/00-184 in the TR on using Unicode in databases.

Withdrawn

84-44

 

Rick McGowan,
Ed. Committee

Pull out appropriate text from L2/00-262 on handling
surrogates and create a FAQ.

 

84-28

 

Editorial Committee

Correct the terminology used on the Unicode web site
(particularly in the Technical Introduction) based on the confusion in terms noted in Appendix B of L2/00-184. 

Superceded by AI 89-5

From UTC #83 and L2 #182 April 25-28, 2000 San Jose (Microsoft)

 

UTC#

L2#

Who?

Action

Status

83-30

 

Patrick Ion
Ken Whistler

Analyze math symbols to propose annotations to clarify character usage.

Waiting for input from Patric

 

L2 home page