Open Action Items

2 June 2003

From UTC #94 and L2 #191, March 4 - 7, 2003, Mountain View, CA (Microsoft)

UTC# L2# Who? Action Status
94-A2   Asmus Freytag Work with the Mongolian experts to have a description of Mongolian shaping by end of 2003.  
94-A3   Deborah Goldsmith (91-A82) will see if someone from Apple can take over 91-A82.  
94-A4   Asmus Freytag Work with Martin Duerst to update UTR #20 for 4.0 characters. In progress
94-A5   Lisa Moore Update the minutes accordingly for UTC #93.  
94-A6   Asmus Freytag Raise the issues in L2/03-029 to the convenor of WG2.  
94-A7   Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee Make relevant changes in sections 3.11, 7.7, and 15.2. Done
94-A8   Mark Davis Look at the point where grapheme cluster is defined in UAX #29 and see whether this has any effect on properties.  
94-A9   Mark Davis Make update in Proplist.txt and PropertyAliases.txt.  
94-A10   Julie Allen, Ed Committee Update version 4.0 text with this change. Done
94-A11   Mark Davis Update the derived numeric values and derived numeric type for 4.0.  
94-A12   John Jenkins Remove the kPrimaryNumeric property for U+5793 and U+43AC from the Unihan database and adjust accordingly.  
94-A13   Mark Davis Include in the standard information about the implications of canonical equivalence and Turkish case foldings. Update the text of the standard, SpecialCasing.txt and the Case Mappings technical report UAX #21.  
94-A14   Mark Davis Modify the description in UCD.html for the hyphen property to be accurate and point to UAX #14.  
94-A15   Cathy Wissink, Sandra O'Donnell Create a proposal on the linebreaking behavior of currency symbols in a locale independent manner.  
94-A16   Ken Whistler Make updates to Linebreak.txt and EastAsianWidth.txt. Done
94-A17   Mark Davis Make updates to PropertyValueAliases.txt for change required in L2/03-071 sections 2 and 5 with "Next Line".  
94-A18   Asmus Freytag Send Mark Davis the long names for the new linebreak classifications from L2/03-071. DONE.  
94-A19   Asmus Freytag Update text of UAX #14 with the changes required from document L2/03-071. Done
94-A20   Ken Whistler Write a response to L2/03-074 and forward to Debbie Anderson and Maria Pantelia for answers and eventual incorporation into another proposal. Done
94-A21   Rick McGowan, Ken Whistler, Debbie Anderson Organize a meeting on the Greek Numeric and Acrophonic characters. Communicate with Maria Pantelia regarding the proposal. Done
94-A23   Mark Davis Arrange for a group to visit India to engage in further dialog. In progress
94-A24   Mark Davis Update the property name, property value alias to reflect the new class WJ and relaxation of GL rule as in the above motion.  
94-A25   Asmus Freytag Update the text of the UAX #14 to reflect the new class WJ and relaxation of GL rule as in the above motion.  
94-A26   Ken Whistler Update the data file to reflect the new class WJ and relaxation of GL rule as in the above motion. Done
94-A27   Mark Davis Regenerate the linebreak table 2 "example pair table" in UAX #14. Done
94-A28   Asmus Freytag Update the UAX #14 text regarding LB6 split into two pieces. Done
94-A29   Mark Davis Fix Proplist.txt to reflect removing of FF9E and FF9F from other grapheme extend. Check the text of UAX #29 as well.  
94-A30   Ken Whistler Update the data file to change the linebreak category for U+180E to GL. Done
94-A31   Asmus Freytag, Ed Committee Add text quote "Older implementations of Mongolian variation sequences may interpret a sequence with an intervening ZWJ or ZWNJ" to the discussion on variation selectors in section 15.6 of TUS 4.0. Inspect the current language on Mongolian in the description of Mongolian in TUS 4.0. Done
94-A32   Mark Davis, Ed Committee Clarify, if possible, the behavior of join controls (ZWJ / ZWNJ / Variation Selectors) and combining marks with regard to base character, in section 15.2 and elsewhere, as discussed in proposal 2 of L2/03-065.  
94-A33   Asmus Freytag, Ed Committee Update the description of Narrow NBSP with Mongolian based on the language in L2/03-065. Done
94-A34   Michel Suignard Include U+0603 in the list in Annex F5. This was an oversight. Do the same in the merged document.  
94-A35   Asmus Freytag Update the glyph for U+0603 to match the property.  
94-A36   Rick McGowan Get properties for Saurashtra before next meeting, and see that they are inserted into a revised proposal for June UTC.  
94-A37   Rick McGowan Get properties, joining groups, and shaping behavior information for Manichaean. Send message to bidi committee also to inform them of the proposal.  
94-A38   Rick McGowan Get Michael Everson to send font for Glagolitic to Asmus. In progress
94-A39   Ken Whistler Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of Gurani and Austral signs. Done
94-A40   Rick McGowan Inform Everson that UTC approved L2/03-095, two currency signs. Done
94-A41   Michael Kaplan Relay to INFITT feedback based on comments received at the meeting.  
94-A42   Ken Whistler, Ed Committee Take suggested name changes and annotations from Govt of India docs and extract useful annotations for TUS 4.0. Take these as beta feedback.  
94-A43   Deborah Goldsmith Get John Jenkins to write an erratum entry for the Unicode "updates and errata page" on U+3D0A. Provide a font with the correct glyph and instructions for U+3D0A.  
94-A44   Deborah Goldsmith Request John Jenkins report to the IRG that the Unicode Standard has corrected an error at that codepoint 3D0A.  
94-A45   Ken Whistler Update UnicodeData.txt superscripts and subscripts, for TUS 4.0.  
94-A46   Mark Davis, Ed Committee Update text on U+2044 for TUS 4.0.  
94-A47   Mark Davis, Ed Committee Update UCD.html making decimal digit an invariant of decimal number type.  
94-A49   Mark Davis Update the Unicode data file and PropList.txt and UCD.html to modify the derivation of default ignorable codepoints.  
94-A52   Mark Davis, Ken Whistler Inform Marc Kuester of the change in collation weight for sharp s.  
94-A54   Ken Whistler Update the UCA table as required by the above concensus on collation weight for sharp s.  
94-A55   Mark Davis, Ken Whistler Ensure that versions.html reflects the above consensus and docment that the numeric value type excludes the two characters U+5793 and U+4EAC in document L2/03-094.  
94-A56   John Jenkins Make the updated Unihan.txt file available with all fixes as soon as possible.  
94-A58   Mark Davis, Ed Committee Update UAX #9 for Unicode 4.0 to reflect option C of L2/03-064.  
94-A59   Mark Davis, Ken Whistler Update the text in version 4.0 and the ArabicShaping.txt file, and in the derived files the formula for deriving "T" class. [Ref L2/03-064] Done
94-A60   Ken Whistler, Ed Committee Update the Myanmar block intro with information from the executive summary and table of L2/02-283R. Done
94-A61   Asmus Freytag, Ed Committee Split the conformance section of UAX #14 into two parts. Part 1 addressing the normative nature of some of the character properties; part 2 describing the informative nature of the algorithm.  
94-A62   Mark Davis, Ed Committee Make the editorial updates to UAX #15 without final review of the UTC as the updates are only informative.  
94-A63   Mark Davis, Ed Committee Make updates and post the TR Template [L2/02-393R] online in the reports folder.  
94-A64   Mark Davis Create a new document on UTR Sample Conformance clause review, based on L2/02-393R for discussion at the next UTC in June.  
94-A65   Asmus Freytag, Ed Committee Make changes as discussed in the meeting and post UTR #23 proposed draft as a draft TR. Done
94-A66   Mark Davis, Ed Committee Take the four points of feedback from the ad-hoc Indic group into account, as feasible, for 4.0: 1. Use italicized word "halant" in the standard where feasible in running text instead of the formal name "virama"; 2. Add annotations of the 2 part vowels in the names list for those scripts that have them; 3. Have descriptions in the script blocks of how to represent characters that aren't obvious; 4. State more clearly how one would represent the function of the ISCII "INV" character.  
94-A67   Mark Davis, Ed Committee Make updates to UAX #9 with target date of April 3, 2003 for final text.  
94-A68   Mark Davis Update the document format of L2/03-081, adding a status section, have Ken Whistler review it, and forward the document to WG20.  
94-A69   Mark Davis, Ed Committee Update UTS #10 with further informative notes on tailoring Hangul.  
94-A70   Mark Davis, Ken Whistler Release a 4.0 UCA beta table.  
94-A71   Mark Davis Update UAX #29 for publication with Unicode 4.0.  
94-A72   Mark Davis, Ed Committee Make the updates to UTR #18 as in the above consensus and document L2/03-107, and post as a proposed draft UTS.  
94-A73   Rick McGowan Make sure the programming language committee reps are on the notification list. Done
94-A74   Rick McGowan Send out a notification of the proposed draft UTS #18 when it is available. Done
94-A75   Mark Davis, Ed Committee Update UAX #24 and the two data files (Scripts.txt, PropertyValues.txt) to reflect the addition of Braille as a script name. Post for Unicode 4.0. [Note: There should be an annotation in UAX #24 that in addition to "common" and "inherited" types, there may be "pseudo scripts" also named that are notational systems.]  
94-A76   Eric Muller, Ken Whistler Review FDAMs and follow up with the 10646 editor Michel Suignard about discovered editorial defects in the FDAMs.  
94-A77   Ken Whistler, Ed Committee Update the 4.0 text and the FAQ to reflect the above consensus on ya-phalaa.  
94-A78   Ken Whistler Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of L2/02-394. Done
94-A79   Peter Constable Change the status of L2/02-394 to submit as an L2/UTC contribution and forward to WG2.  
94-A80   Ken Whistler Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of L2/02-254. (Document is already N2560 in WG2.) Done
94-A81   Lisa Moore Respond to the letter from David Tarkhan-Mouravi. [DONE]  

From UTC #93 and L2 #190, November 5-8, 2002 in Nashua, NH (HP)

UTC# L2# Who? Action Status
93-A2   Eric Muller, Mark Davis Update the committee draft of the UCD in XML format. [L2/02-179, 91-A12]  
93-A4   Mark Davis, Editorial Committee Review the technical reports for consistency and propose updates for the next UTC.  In progress
93-A12   Mark Davis, Editorial Committee Prepare a proposed update of Unicode Standard Annex #24 Script Names and post for public review.  In progress
93-A13   Mark Davis, Editorial Committee Prepare a proposed update of Unicode Technical Standard #22 Character Mapping Markup Language (CharMapML) and post for public review.  
93-A14   Mark Davis Look at Unicode Technical Report #18 Unicode Regular Expression Guidelines and propose changes that will make it more referenceable, possibly as a UTS.  In progress
93-A18   Mark Davis, Editorial Committee Update the default ignorable characters in Proplist.txt for version 4, remove Arabic End of Ayah and Syriac Abbreviation Mark and guarantee that similar characters (U+0600 ARABIC NUMBER SIGN, U+0601 ARABIC SIGN SANAH, U+0602 ARABIC FOOTNOTE MARKER ) are treated the same way. [L2/02-368]  Open
93-A27   Asmus Freytag Ensure that Unicode Standard Annex #11 East Asian Width is in sync with the 93-C12 decision to make data file and documentation changes as discussed in section 3 of  [L2/02-360].  
93-A28   Ken Whistler Update the East Asian width  and line break data files to reflect the changes to fallback properties for section 3, items C and D of  [L2/02-360].  
93-A30   Mark Davis Update Unicode Standard Annex #9 The Bidirectional Algorithm to correct the ranges for the Bidi classes. [L2/02-360]  
93-A31   Mark Davis Add the text from section 6 of L2/02-360 to the proposed
update of Unicode Standard Annex #15 Unicode Normalization Forms, for review at the next UTC.
93-A44   Maria Pantelia Update the chart to indicate suggested code positions and property values and names "metrical symbol" instead of just "metrical". [L2/02-315R]  
93-A51   Deborah Goldsmith Have Cora Chang verify the correctness of Unihan database errata in document L2/02-359R and verify all compatibility mappings of Han characters in the latest Unicode Character Database.  
93-A54   John Jenkins Add the JIS 0213 mappings to the Unihan database, after they have been verified by Cora Chang. Correct the HKSCS mappings to the values given in L2/02-359R after they have been verified by Cora Chang against the mappings issued by the Hong Kong Government.  
93-A57   Eric Muller, Ken Lunde Check and see if the 10646 mappings are the same as our Unihan "V" source mappings.  
93-A58   Eric Muller Draft a document to WG2 requesting that they require three mappings to identify each compatibility character: (1) the "real" Unified ideograph in 10646; (2) the source character in the standard they come from; (3) the mapping for the "base" character in the original standard for which it is a compatibility duplicate. These have not been provided for all compatibility characters up to now.  
93-A59   Eric Muller, Ken Lunde, Michel Suignard See where the underlying issue is with the "V" source in document L2/02-390.  
93-A63   Mark Davis Send feedback to the IETF on internationalized string matching rules through Patrik Faltstrom. [L2/02-358]  
93-A66   Mark Davis Relay UTC comments on L2/02-355 (XQuery 1.0 and XPath 2.0 Functions and Operators) back to W3C.  
93-A67   Mark Davis Send comment on security issue in XML 1.1 to unicore list before sending to W3C.  
93-A68   Mark Davis Write up comment on lack of support for null (or zero) in XML, and send to unicore before sending to W3C.  
93-A69   Mark Davis Prepare a liaison statement to W3C that there is a security issue with transcoding from legacy encodings.  
93-A71   Mark Davis Add a note about canonical equivalence to Unicode Standard Annex #9 The Bidirectional Algorithm for Unicode 4.[L2/02-194]  
93-A72   Mark Davis , Editorial Committee Update Unicode policies regarding invariance of the Bidi algorithm under canonical equivalence (see 93-C26).  
93-A73   Mark Davis , Editorial Committee Update the text of Unicode Standard Annex #9 The Bidirectional Algorithm to reflect consensus 93-C27.  
93-A74   Mark Davis , Bidi Committee Ask Bidi committee to review and make a determination about  section 5 of L2/02-194.  
93-A76   Michel Suignard Raise bidi character property issues with respect to URIs to the bidi committee.  
93-A77   Mark Davis , Editorial Committee Update the boilerplate on the technical report web page based on 93-C28. [L2/02-393R]  In progress
93-A78   Mark Davis Update L2/02-393R to reflect the changes discussed in the meeting and post to the document register.  
93-A79   Julie Allen , Editorial Committee Ensure that the new boilerplate is rolled into all of the technical reports. [L2/02-393R]  In progress
93-A80   Magda Danish , Ed Committee Update the Unicode Technical Reports and Unicode Technical Standards as required by motion 93-M4 (above), for Unicode 4.0.  In progress
93-A81   Lisa Moore Designate the actual list of Unicode Technical Reports and Unicode Technical Standards to be updated by Magda for 93-M4.  In progress
93-A82   Lisa Moore Put a review of the conformance clause from L2/02-393R on the agenda for UTC #94.  
93-A85   Joan Aliprand Contact Richard Youatt to determine what he knows about the implementation of Armenian hyphen. [L2/02-375]  
93-A87   Mark Davis, Editorial Committee Add text discussing normative aspects of  Draft Unicode Technical Report #29 Text Boundaries. [L2/02-362; L2/02-392]  In progress
93-A88   Mark Davis Incorporate feedback from this meeting into another draft of Draft Unicode Technical Report #29 Text Boundaries. If possible, post for public review before the next UTC meeting. [L2/02-362; L2/02-392]  
93-A89   Mark Davis , Editorial Committee Incorporate updates to the Assessing Unicode Support document, L2/02-400, as discussed in the meeting, and post as an L2 document.  
93-A90   Mark Davis , Editorial Committee Incorporate the three weeks of feedback received on the Assessing Unicode Support document, L2/02-400R, and post as Proposed Draft Unicode Technical Report #31 Assessing Unicode Support.  
93-A97   Eric Muller, Deborah Goldsmith Have the same work group (as in AI89-A20) that is investigating GB18030 also evaluate the HKSCS characters that are mapped to the PUA. Generate a proposal for handling them for UTC consideration. [L2/02-395]  
93-A100   Rick McGowan Forward the Kharoshthi font to Asmus Freytag.  Done
93-A106   Rick McGowan Prepare a single proposal for the next UTC meeting for the three double combining marks (double stroke, double breve below, and double macron). Proposal to include names, glyphs, properties, and the WG2 form. Also in the proposal address the Greek hyphen proposed by  TLG. Include more supporting rationale if possible. [L2/02-361, 367]  Done

From UTC #92 and L2 #189, August 20-23, 2002 in Redmond, WA (Microsoft)

UTC# L2# Who? Action Status
92-A16a   Mark Davis, Editorial Committee Add a reference to an appendix of Unicode Annex: #15: Unicode Normalization that points to UTN #5, in the version 4.0 time frame.  
92-A19   Michael Kaplan, Cathy Wissink Write a FAQ entry within Indic FAQ covering the Unicode position with regard to the TDIL Newsletter document, and send to the editorial committee. [L2/02-268]  In Progress
92-A27   Mark Davis, Ken Whistler

Update Unicode Technical Standard #10 Unicode Collation Algorithm. Reflect the consensus items [92-C11] and [92-C12] synchronizing Unicode 4.0 and UCA, and post as a proposed update.

92-A28   Mark Davis, Cathy Wissink , Editorial Committee Move section 5.17 of the Unicode Standard into Unicode Technical Standard #10 Unicode Collation Algorithm and possibly update with material from Cathy & Michael 's tutorial, time permitting. In Progress; moved to EC list?
92-A29   Mark Davis, Editorial Committee Add language to Unicode Technical Standard #10 Unicode Collation Algorithm that describes the current use of soft hyphen to prevent contraction in collation.  
92-A30   Mark Davis, Editorial Committee Add an informative section to UTS#10 on stability of collation (issues involved and possible ways to handle).  
92-A35   Peter Edberg Investigate the 1.1 to 2.0 Hangul mapping inconsistencies and discuss the results with Michel Suignard , to be included in US comments on the WD 3rd Edition of 10646. [L2/02-282]  Done?
92-A36   Mark Davis Add a section to Unicode Technical Standard #10 Unicode Collation Algorithm on stability of weights for scripts.  
92-A42   Mark Davis Update the UCD files relating to the correcting inconsistencies in some grapheme properties (see 92-C21) for the 4.0 time frame. [L2/02-304, 311]  In Progress
92-A44   Julie Allen Post the erratum relating to inconsistencies in some grapheme properties (see 92-C21). [L2/02-304, 311]  
92-A46   Markus Scherer , Mark Davis, Editorial Committee Post a proposed update to Unicode Technical Standard #6 A Standard Compression Scheme for Unicode, adding the update on "XML Suitable". [L2/02-262]  In Progress 
92-A48   Mark Davis, Ken Whistler For Unicode 3.2.1, fix the properties of U+00AD soft hyphen and clarify the Pd nature of U+058A and U+1806 as specified in section 1.B of document L2/02-267R3, and produce an erratum for posting. Done (except hyphen property)
92-A51   Ken Whistler, Mark Davis Update the general categories of the soft hyphen in the data files for Unicode 4.0. [L2/02-267R3] Done (except hyphen property)
92-A55   Mark Davis, Officers Update the UTC policies to reflect consensus 92-C29 on backwards compatibility of identifiers for Unicode 4.0. [L2/02-267R3]  
92-A65   Mark Davis, John Jenkins For version 4.0, add the Numerical, Radical/Stroke, & Source Reference PropertyAliases.txt and PropertyValueAliases.txt as normative properties, and create a "provisional" property and state that all other Unihan tags are provisional. [L2/02-267R3] Done (except source references)
92-A66   John Jenkins Determine if other Unihan tag properties could be improved to the point at which they could become informative rather than provisional in the 4.0 timeframe, and communicate this to UTC.  In progress
92-A68   Mark Davis Separate document L2/02-305, on assessing Unicode support, into two parts; the definitional part should be moved into Unicode 4.0. Update the remaining portions of L2/02-305 and post for comments. Done?  Moved to EC list?
92-A70   Mark Davis Write a paper for W3C regarding canonical equivalence, early and late normalization. In progress 

From UTC #91 and L2 #188, April 30-May 3, 2002 in Pleasanton (Peoplesoft)

UTC# L2# Who? Action Status
91-A5   Lisa Moore Follow up on action 88-A35. (Respond to the proposer of the Arabic Kaf character that the UTC thinks the character is already encoded at U+0681. The character may need an annotation and/or an explanation.[L2/01-316]  In progress
91-A6   Rick McGowan, Officers Make mirroring PDF files available to members on their web sites. Reference: AI 88-A22. Write text explaining how to do the mirroring and which pages may be mirrored. (Target Date: Unicode 4.0) Done
91-A7   Rick McGowan, Editorial Committee Review the text for mirroring PDF files for legal disclaimers and post Done
91-A82   Asmus Freytag Draft text that documents existing information on known discrepancies in E. Asian mapping tables.  
91-A85   Joan Aliprand Contact Michael Everson after the June WG2 meeting to discuss Glagolitic and to progress his proposal.  
91-A90   Ken Whistler Develop further documentation on the Unicode conformance model. [L2/02-165]  

From UTC #90 and L2 #187, February 11-14, 2002 in Mountain View (Microsoft)

UTC# L2# Who? Action Status
90-A75   Mark Davis, Editorial Committee Review the technical reports for consistency with Unicode 3.2 and post changes as proposed updates to be reviewed at UTC 91. In Progress (all updated except #17)
90-A84   John Jenkins Contact other organizations (Basis, Adobe, Microsoft, Apple, Xerox) with traditional and simplified mappings, asking them to make those mappings available for inclusion in Unihan.txt. Do this after Unicode 3.2 has been published. In progress

From UTC #89 and L2 #186, November 6-9, 2001 in Mountain View (Microsoft)

UTC# L2# Who? Action Status
89-A12   John Jenkins Report the status of IDS decompositions and then work on any gaps and post on-line In progress
89-A18   John Jenkins: Prepare a document to send to WG2 that requests that in the future 10646 should use variant tags for distinguishing new simplified Chinese variants from their traditional counterparts. [89-M2] Deborah Goldsmith will follow up
89-A27   Asmus Freytag, Editorial Committee Appropriately document the font policy approved in motion 89-M4. Julie to move to EC list
89-A72   Rick McGowan Update the JIS X 0213 FAQ and after review by Julie Allen, post on the website. [L2/01-442] Done

From UTC #87 and L2 #184, May 21-24, 2001 in Pleasanton (Peoplesoft)

UTC# L2# Who? Action Status
87-A40   Rick McGowan, John Jenkins Set up a database for UTC members to use to contain information about variants. Done
87-A56   Mark Davis, Editorial Committee Update UTR#17: Character Encoding Model with the new locale-independent grapheme property. [L2/01-086]; should be done after TR29 is final In Progress; post 4.0 (Not added to 4.0)