Pre-Preliminary Minutes of the UTC 106 / L2 203 Joint Meeting
Mountain View, CA -- February 6 - 9, 2006
Hosted by Microsoft
UTC #106 Agenda
February 13, 2006
Monday, February 6, 2006
Scripts Subcommittee met all day, 10:30 am - 5:50 pm.
Tuesday, February 7, 2006
Meeting opened at 9:40.
Present: Adobe, Apple, Denic (proxy), Google, HP, IBM, JustSystem (proxy), MS, Oracle, Sun, Verisign, UCB, Basis
14.5 full members in regular attendance
1 institutional member in regular attendance
1 supporting member in regular attendance
16.5 members in regular attendance
Quorum is 8.
B.2 add SC29 to list of subcoms
Added agenda item B.2.2.3 doc L2/06-012 MPEG Streaming Text
Conference call started 9:55 am.
B.11.2 Issue 77: Review of Proposed Update Unicode Technical Report #36: Unicode Security Considerations and Proposed Draft Unicode Technical Standard #39: Unicode Security Mechanisms
B.126.96.36.199 General feedback [L2/06-031]
B.11.2.2 Working draft of PU UTR#36 for review [Davis, Suignard, L2/06-047]
B.11.2.3 Working draft of PD UTS#39 for review [Davis, Suignard L2/05-329]
B.11.2.4 Review and Recommendations for Internationalized Domain Names (IDN) [Klensin, Faltstrom, L2/06-045]
Discussion from 10:30 - 12:30 with authors taking notes for changes to the document UTR #36 (L2/06-047)
[106-C1] Consensus: Take document L2/06-055 as modified in discussion and add to next draft of UTS #39 (L2/05-329).
[106-A1] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #77 with the above resolution as in 106-C1.
[106-A2] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Incorporate L2/06-055 into the next public review of draft UTS #39.
[106-A3] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Open a new PRI for the next draft of UTS #39 when ready for posting.
Lunch at 12:30
[106-A4] Action Item for Michel Suignard: Send Mark Davis text on why the bidi algorithm should not be changed, for incorporation into Mark's response on IDN nextsteps (L2/06-045).
[106-A5] Action Item for Mark Davis, Marcos Sanz: Create a UTC response to IETF based upon the discussion of L2/06-056 and send a draft to Unicore list before sending to the IAB.
Ad hoc for work on security to be held at 5:00 pm Wednesday in Indian conference room.
[106-C2] Consensus: Advance draft PDUTR #36 to UTR #36 after incorporating comments during discussion.
B.188.8.131.52 ZWJ/ZWNJ in identifiers [L2/06-024]
[106-A6] Action Item for Mark Davis, Eric Muller, Michel Suignard, Peter Constable, V S Umamaheswaran, Rick McGowan, Tex Texin, Ienup Sung, Michael Kaplan: Have a group look at the cases where ZWJ and ZWNJ cause an issue and see if refinement of the rendering rules can reduce the problem described in document L2/06-024. Also consider their use in Persian and other scripts. Get public feedback if necessary.
A.5.1 Approval of minutes of Joint Meeting UTC 105/L2 202 [L2/05-279R]
[106-C3] Consensus: Approve the minutes of meeting #105 with corrections as noted in the meeting.
Added a meeting to the schedule:
UTC #110 L2 #207 - Feb 6-9 2007 Mountain View, host Unicode.
Note: May 9, 2006 is the closing date for new PRIs for the next meeting.
[106-A7] Action Item for Michael Kaplan: Provide examples of well-formed character proposals to V S Umamaheswaran for inclusion in the WG2 principles and procedures document.
[106-A8] Action Item for Mark Davis: Report to UTC on officers' actions raised by document L2/06-014.
Oral editorial committee report from Ken Whistler.
B.5 IETF report from Mark.
Added agenda item B.14.4 Case folding stability.
Adjourned for the day at 5:30.
Wednesday February 8, 2006
Meeting opened at 9:50 am
11.5 members present. HP, IBM, Justsystem (proxy), Microsoft, Sun, Sybase, Verisign (proxy), UCB, Basis.
B.12.2 Unicode Technical Standard #10: Unicode Collation Algorithm
[106-C4] Consensus: Authorize the start of a 5.0 UCA Beta release.
[106-A9] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Mark Davis: Generate a 5.0 UCA beta file.
[106-A10] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Produce and post a PRI for the 5.0 beta UCA, to close May 9, 2006.
[106-C5] Consensus: Issue a proposed update of UTS #10 to align with Unicode 5.0.
[106-A11] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Issue a proposed update UTS #10.
[106-A12] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post a PRI for PU UTS #10 to close May 9, 2006.
B.12.2.2 Internet Application Protocol Collation Registry [Newman, L2/06-052]
[106-C6] Consensus: There are significant internationalization issues with draft 6 of IAP Collation Registry (L2/06-052).
[106-A13] Action Item for Mark Davis, Ken Whistler, Michael Kaplan, Vladimir Weinstein, Ienup Sung: Respond to the authors of L2/06-052 with UTC comments and recommendations.
[106-M1] Motion: Add the chart of 6 Bengali consonant-vowel combinations from L2/06-053 as examples stating that ZW(N)J can be used to encourage or discourage ligation.
Moved by Murray Sargent, Seconded by V S Umamaheswaran
9.5 for (Sun, Basis Apple IBM HP UCB Sybase Verisign Google MS)
1 against (Adobe)
1 abstain (JustSystem)
[106-A14] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Document the above motion 106-M1 on Bengali ligation in Unicode 5.0.
[106-A15] Action Item for Peter Constable: Provide appropriate glyphs or images to Rick McGowan for reproducing the table in L2/06-053 in the Unicode 5.0 book.
B.1.1 Convenor's report [Ksar]
CLDR demo from Mark Davis
Added agenda item B.18 Mirroring and archaic scripts.
Script issues taken up after 2:00 pm.
C.1 Proposal to encode Lycian and Lydian scripts [Everson, L2/06-050]
[106-C7] Consensus: Accept the 29 Lycian characters for encoding at 10280-1029C (Lycian) in a future version of the standard, with block name Lycian 10280 - 1029F.
[106-C8] Consensus: Accept the 27 Lydian characters for encoding at 10920-1093F (Lydian) in a future version of the standard, with block name Lydian 10920-1093F. Request to change the name of "Lydian quotation mark" to "Lydian triangular Mark", and make it general category to "So". Request to change the glyph to look more like it actually looks in the inscription (more like a right triangle).
[106-A16] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of Lycian and Lydian scripts as in consensi 106-C7 and 106-C8.
C.2 Proposal to encode Carian script [Everson, L2/05-386]
[106-C9] Consensus: Accept the 49 Carian characters at 102A0 - 102D0 with block name Carian from 102A0 - 102DF for encoding in a future version of the standard.
[106-A17] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect the acceptance of the Carian script for encoding as in consensus 106-C9.
C.3 Proposal to encode the Sundanese script [Everson, L2/06-002]
[106-A18] Action Item for Debbie Anderson, Rick McGowan, Ken Whistler: Respond to Michael Everson about the Sundanese proposal L2/06-002. (Debbie to send e-mail to Michael with UTC's areas of concern. The proposal needs a letter of support from Indonesia government, as for Balinese. Debbie, Rick, and Ken will correspond with Michael on various encoding questions that arose.)
C.18 Proposal to add Nuqta Characters [Durrani, L2/06-039]
[106-A19] Action Item for Mark Davis: Follow up with Dr Durrani of the Pakistan NLA explaining the policy on Arabic letters and asking for more information for those marks that we may want to encode generatively. L2/06-039.
C.6.2 Proposal to add old Cyrillic titlo-letters [Kryukov, Dorosh, L2/06-040]
[106-C10] Consensus: Accept the 22 Cyrillic characters in document L2/06-040 with codepoints U+2DE0 to U+2DF5, with block name "Combining Marks for Cyrillic" U+2D30..U+2DFF. The following name conventions should be applied: remove the word "old"; change the pattern "buki-titlo" to "buki with titlo above".
[106-A20] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of 22 Cyrillic characters from document L2/06-040 as in above consensus 106-C10.
[106-A21] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Follow up with the author of L2/06-040 after codepoints have been assigned to update the proposal and submit to WG2.
C.6.3 Proposal for additional Cyrillic characters [Cleminson, L2/06-042]
[106-A22] Action Item for Rick McGowan, Deborah Anderson: Follow up with Ralph Cleminson with UTC questions about the proposal in L2/06-042.
C.8.2 Gurmukhi annotations [Sidhu, L2/05-371]
[106-A23] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add Gurmukhi annotations to Unicode 5.0 from document L2/05-371.
C.8.4 Proposal to encode Gurmukhi sigh yakash [Sidhu, L2/06-037]
[106-C11] Consensus: Accept the Gurmukhi sign Yakash for encoding at U+0A75.
[106-A24] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include Gurmukhi Sign Yakash U+0A75 (L2/06-037).
[106-A25] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Work with author of L2/06-037 to create a proposal summary form and forward to WG2.
C.8.3 Proposed changes to Gurmukhi [Sidhu, L2/06-030]
[106-A26] Action Item for Eric Muller, Editorial Committee: Add text to Unicode 5.0 Gurmukhi block descripton with the examples in section B of L2/06-030.
[106-A27] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to author of L2/06-030 that nasal sign placement in Gurmukhi should not be handled with variation selectors.
[106-A28] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Take section E of L2/06-030 (Udaat) into account when creating collation table for future version of the UCA.
C.17 Proposal to encode characters for Ordbok över Finlands svenska folkmål [Kolehmainen, L2/06-036]
[106-C12] Consensus: Accept 3 Finnish characters from document L2/06-036 for encoding at U+2C78..2C7A in a future version of the standard. The 3 characters are:
U+2C78 LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH TAIL
U+2C79 LATIN SMALL LETTER TURNED R WITH TAIL
U+2C7A LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH RING INSIDE DOWN
[106-A29] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of 3 Finnish characters as in L2/06-036 and consensus 106-C12 above.
[106-A30] Action Item for Michel Suignard: Add 3 Finnish characters in L2/06-36 and consensus 106-C12 above to ballot comments on amendment 3, referencing the WG2 document number WG2 N3031.
C.21 Proposal for the addition of math characters [L2/06-054]
[106-C13] Consensus: Accept 2 math characters at U+27EC and U+27ED, for encoding in a future version of the standard. The two characters are:
U+27EC MATHEMATICAL LEFT WHITE TORTOISE SHELL BRACKET
U+27ED MATHEMATICAL RIGHT WHITE TORTOISE SHELL BRACKET
[106-A31] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of U+27EC MATHEMATICAL LEFT WHITE TORTOISE SHELL BRACKET and U+27ED MATHEMATICAL RIGHT WHITE TORTOISE SHELL BRACKET.
[106-A32] Action Item for Michel Suignard: Add two math characters from L2/06-054 to ballot comments. U+27EC MATHEMATICAL LEFT WHITE TORTOISE SHELL BRACKET and U+27ED MATHEMATICAL RIGHT WHITE TORTOISE SHELL BRACKET.
[106-A33] Action Item for Asmus Freytag: Submit the math character proposal L2/06-054 to WG2 prior to their next meeting.
C.14 Proposal to add medievalist characters [Everson, L2/06-027]
[106-A34] Action Item for Deborah Anderson, Rick McGowan: Write up a paper from US national body and UTC on the issues/problems with L2/06-027. Forward to WG2 as a joint UTC/L2 contribution. (Note: This paper is L2/06-074.)
C.13.2 Proposal to encode two archaic Tibetan punctuation marks (WG2 N3033) - see also L2/05-346. [West, L2/06-044]
[106-C14] Consensus: Accept two archaic Tibetan punctuation marks from document L2/06-044 at U+0FD3 and U+0FD4 for encoding in a future version of the standard.
[106-A35] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of two archaic Tibetan punctuation marks at U+0FD3 and U+0FD4 from document L2/06-044.
C.12 Proposal to encode one Manchu ali gali letter "lha" [West, L2/06-013]
[106-C15] Consensus: Accept one Mongolian Letter Manchu Ali Gali Lha from document L2/06-013 for encoding at U+18AA in a future version of the standard.
[106-A36] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of one Mongolian Letter Manchu Ali Gali Lha from document L2/06-013 for encoding at U+18AA.
[106-A37] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Work with Andrew West to submit L2/06-013 to WG2.
C.15 Proposal to add Mayanist Latin letters [Everson, L2/06-028]
[106-C16] Consensus: Accept LATIN CAPITAL LETTER TZ and LATIN SMALL LETTER TZ from document L2/06-028 at U+2C7B and U+2C7C respectively, with U+2C7B to also be the "uppercase" and "titlecase" form.
[106-A38] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of LATIN CAPITAL LETTER TZ and LATIN SMALL LETTER TZ from document L2/06-028 at U+2C7B and U+2C7C respectively.
[106-A39] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Give UTC feedback to author of Mayanist proposal L2/06-028.
B.14.1 Script value for unassigned code points [Davis, L2/05-376]
[106-C17] Consensus: Give unassigned codepoints the script property value "Zzzz".
[106-A40] Action Item for Mark Davis: Update Scripts.txt and PropertyValueAliases.txt for Unicode 5.0 to reflect assignment of script property value "Zzzz" to unassigned codepoints.
B.16 Documenting missing values in data files [Davis, L2/06-026]
[106-C18] Consensus: Adopt the proposal of L2/06-026 to add comment lines for missing values in the UCD for applicable data files. Note: In Unicode 5.0 Unihan.txt is not an applicable data file.
[106-A41] Action Item for Mark Davis, Ken Whistler: Add comment lines for missing values in applicable data files for 5.0. Ref L2/06-026.
B.14.2 Proposal to change the script property for three Mongolian punctuation marks [Muller, L2/05-378]
[106-C19] Consensus: Change the script properties of U+1802, U+1803, U+1805 to "Common" in Unicode 5.0.
[106-A42] Action Item for Mark Davis: Update the data file Scripts.txt to reflect change of script properties of U+1802, U+1803, U+1805 to "Common" in Unicode 5.0.
B.14.3 Proposal to add Jamo_Short_Name property [Muller, L2/05-379]
[106-A43] Action Item for Eric Muller: Provide corrected document L2/05-379 to fix missing "not" in reference to "formally defined"; change to "not formally documented".
[106-C20] Consensus: Document the Jamo_Short_Name property as a "contributory" property for Unicode 5.0 in UCD.html, PropertyAliases.txt and PropertyValueAliases.txt. Ref L2/05-379R.
[106-A44] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Document the Jamo_Short_Name property, as specified in document L2/05-379R, in UCD.html and elsewhere as required in Unicode 5.0.
Thursday, February 9, 2006
Meeting opened at 9:50 am.
11 members represented.
Security ad hoc report from Mark.
[106-A45] Action Item for Mark Davis, Ken Whistler: Split the confusables data into 3 categories and add to draft UTS #39, as per discussion in ad hoc meeting.
B.11.4 Issue 81: Review of Proposed Update Unicode Standard Annex #34: Unicode Named Character Sequences
B.184.108.40.206 General feedback [L2/06-031]
B.11.4.2 Working draft for review [Whistler, L2/06-019]
[106-C21] Consensus: Remove the Gurmukhi entries from provisional named sequences as suggested in L2/06-031.
B.13.4 Unicode Version 5.0 Beta
[106-C22] Consensus: Authorize a "beta 2" for Unicode 5.0 to close May 9, 2006.
[106-A46] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Make the Unicode 5.0 "beta 2" happen.
[106-A47] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Issue a PRI for Unicode 5.0 "beta 2" to close May 9, 2006.
[106-C23] Consensus: UTC will stop taking input to Unicode 5.0 on certain properties beginning March 1, 2006. Properties affected are all those defined in UnicodeData.txt plus: Whitespace, Hex Digit, Diacritic, Ideographic, Numeric Value, Numeric Type, Script, and East Asian Width. Publish the frozen values by March 7, 2006.
[106-A48] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Include the above consensus 106-C23 info in the announcement and PRI on Unicode 5.0 "beta 2".
[106-A49] Action Item for Rick McGowan, Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Follow up with TDIL on named sequences for Gurmukhi. (I.e., removing the provisional sequences based on public feedback re inconsistencies in the names and lack of utility for them.)
[106-A50] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Fix data for NamedSequences.txt to remove entries for Gurmukhi in the Unicode 5.0 beta 2.
[106-C24] Consensus: Extend all currently open PRIs on UAXes to May 9, 2006 unless there is good reason to close one early.
[106-A51] Action Item for Rick McGowan, Editorial Committee: Extend relevant open PRIs on UAXes for 5.0 to May 9, 2006, and post a notification of extension.
B.220.127.116.11.1 Draft ballot comments
[106-C25] Consensus: The content of document L2/06-069 should constitute a "yes" vote on amendment 3 to 10646 and include only the text in T.7 of the (unnumbered) working draft. The content of L2/06-070 should include everything in the working draft except T.7 and T.8, with the addition of the characters accepted [from documents L2/06-036, and L2/06-054, fill in the chars later].
[106-A52] Action Item for Michael Kaplan: Relay the information in the above consensus 106-C25 to Michel Suignard for inclusion in L2/06-069 and L2/06-070 (ballot and comment documents for amendment 3).
[106-A53] Action Item for Michel Suignard: Create ballot comments L2/06-069 and another document L2/06-070 requesting new additions to amendment 3 of 10646.
Lunch 11:25 - 12:15.
[106-A54] Action Item for Eric Muller, Mark Davis, Ken Whistler: Create a proposal for documenting the "special casing" conditions in the UCD. Ref L2/06-067.
B.14.4 Suggested text for addition to the Stability Policies [Davis L2/06-062]
[106-M2] Motion: Ask the Unicode officers to incorporate the case-folding stability clause as documented in L2/06-062 into the web site after editorial review.
Moved by Mark Davis, Seconded by Rick McGowan
8 for (Adobe, MS, Sun, Apple, IBM, UCB, Sybase, Google)
2.5 abstain (Justsystem, Basis, Verisign)
[106-A55] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Review case-folding stability in L2/06-062 and ask the officers for permission to post.
B.11.12 Unicode 5.0 Beta feedback [L2/06-031]
[106-C26] Consensus: Align the properties of U+10341 with U+1034A. (Change the general category of U+10341 from Lo to Nl.)
[106-A56] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update UnicodeData.txt with the change of properties to U+10341 for the 5.0 beta, as in the above consensus 106-C26.
B.11.9 Issue 86: Review of Proposed Update Unicode Standard Annex #15: Unicode Normalization Forms
B.18.104.22.168 General feedback [L2/06-031]
B.22.214.171.124 UAX #15 Clarifications and FAQ [Davis, Whistler, L2/06-038]
B.11.9.2 Working draft for review [Davis, Duerst, L2/06-021]
[106-A57] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Extract the text of the comment from Ilya Konstantinov in L2/06-031 regarding properties of U+05BE Hebrew Punctuation Maqaf into a new L2 document for future UTC consideration.
[106-A58] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Put the above-mentioned document for U+05BE Hebrew Punctuation Maqaf onto the agenda for next UTC meeting.
[106-A59] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Update the proposed update UAX #15 as per comments in the meeting and in doocument L2/06-038, and post for public review.
[106-A60] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post a PRI for the proposed update UAX #15 when ready.
B.126.96.36.199 Editorial suggestions for UAX #9: 5.0.0 [Freytag, L2/06-010]
[106-A61] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Look at the suggested changes to UAX #9 in document L2/06-010 and make appropriate changes in the UAX. Prepare a PRI for public review.
[106-A62] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post a PRI for the updates and changes to UAX #9 when ready.
B.11.3.4 Bidi mirroring in ancient scripts [Freytag, L2/06-071]
[106-A63] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Add clarifying text connected with rule L4 of UAX #9 to better describe mirroring in archaic scripts, including relevant security issues. See L2/06-071.
[106-M3] Motion: Drop U+FD3E and U+FD3F from the list of characters with Bidi Mirrored property proposed in PRI #80.
Moved by Ken Whistler, Seconded by Eric Muller
7.5 for (Adobe, Basis, MS, Sun, HP, IBM, UCB, Sybase)
4 abstain (Justsystem, Apple, Google, Verisign)
[106-A64] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Document in Unicode 5.0 and UAX #9 the exceptional behavior of U+FD3E and U+FD3F with regard to bidi mirroring. Ref L2/06-071.
[106-A65] Action Item for Rick McGowan, Ken Whistler: Communicate with Roozbeh Pournader on the outcome of his PRI #80 comments. (I.e., why we are only doing part of what he requested.)
[106-A66] Action Item for Mark Davis: Remove extraneous references to HL6 from UAX #9.
[106-C27] Consensus: (1) Change rule L4 of the bidi algorithm in UAX #9 to exclude the mirroring of characters whose bidi mirrored property is "false", in the absence of a higher level protocol. (2) Add a new HL6 clause which allows a higher level protocol to mirror characters with the bidi mirroring property "false", for historic scripts and associated punctuation, private use characters, and characters in mathematical expressions. (3) From the new HL6 clause, point to the new commentary in section 6.
[106-A67] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Update proposed update UAX #9 to include items from the above consensus 106-C27.
[106-A68] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the bidi mirrored field of UnicodeData.txt based on outcome of PRI #80. See document L2/06-072.
B.11.5 PRI #82
[106-C28] Consensus: Close PRI #82 with the resolution that UTC decided to use the first sequence, top then bottom, for Gurmukhi double vowels.
[106-A69] Action Item for Eric Muller, Editorial Committee: Document the preferred order "top-then-bottom" for Gurmukhi double vowels in Unicode 5.0, as in the above consensus 106-C28.
[106-A70] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #82, with the resolution as per the above consensus 106-C28.
B.11.11 Issue 88: Review of Proposed Update Unicode Standard Annex #14: Line Breaking Properties
B.188.8.131.52 General feedback [L2/06-031]
B.11.11.2 Working draft for review [Freytag, L2/06-023]
B.11.12 5.0 Beta feedback [L2/06-031]
[106-A71] Action Item for Asmus Freytag, Editorial Committee: Fix typos documented in the feedback to PRI #88. Ref L2/06-031.
[106-A72] Action Item for Michel Suignard, Michael Kaplan: Document the rationale for accelerating 4 Sindhi characters into Unicode 5.0, and forward to WG2 ASAP by February 15, 2006 (well before the April meeting).
UTC adjourned at 2:50 pm.
L2 plenary resumed at 3:05.