Pre-Preliminary Motions of the UTC 111 / L2 208 Joint
Mountain View, CA -- May 14 - 18, 2006
Hosted by Google
UTC #111 Agenda
May 24, 2007
[111-C1] Consensus: Commendation and thanks to Asmus Freytag, from Mark Davis: Dr. Asmus Freytag has recently retired from active participation in Unicode. Asmus has played a key role in the development of Unicode from the very beginning. He made important contributions to the general structure, architecture, and properties of the Unicode Standard. Asmus also drove the effort to define the Unicode character property model, was the author of two Unicode Standard Annexes, and co-author of one other. For years, Asmus has also organized and produced the charts for the standard, together with the program used to generate them. We regret that Asmus will no longer be involved formally in Unicode -- but welcome future feedback on Unicode issues from him insofar as he is able. I'm sure you also join with us in wishing him well in his future enterprises.
[111-C2] Consensus: Approve the minutes of meeting UTC #108.
[111-C3] Consensus: Approve the minutes of meeting UTC #110.
[111-C4] Consensus: Create a subcommittee to examine encoding issues in Tamil and other Indic scripts. Chaired by Eric Muller.
[111-C5] Consensus: Incorporate the revised text of PRI #96 into Proposed Update UAX #31 as an appendix, and update the draft for the proposed update, and post for review.
[111-C6] Consensus: In the new appendix of UAX #31 proposed update, replace 180B .. 180D with 180E Mongolian Vowel Separator and request that Andrew West contact the relevant (Chinese) authorities to get feedback on this issue.
[111-C7] Consensus: Do not release a version 5.0.1, but re-target all of the slated changes to a 5.1.0 release.
[111-C8] Consensus: UTC supports the development of a common branding scheme for Unicode specifications.
[111-C9] Consensus: Form a subcommittee with Markus Scherer as chair to make recommendations for the encoding of symbols, such as wingdings, train schedule symbols, mobile phone symbols, etc.
[111-C10] Consensus: Change the linebreak property of U+02DF from AL to BB in Unicode 5.1.0.
[111-C11] Consensus: In UAX #29: For Grapheme Cluster, Word, and Sentence data files, point to the tables in the spec that show how the property values are derived. Add CR, LF, and Extend to Wordbreak and Sentence break as explicit property values and list them in tables 3 and 4. Make the formulation of the derivation of property values build on the previous tables where appropriate.
[111-C12] Consensus: The UTC would like the Ideographic Descripton Sequencdes for the encoded CJK ideographs to be part of the 10646 data files.
[111-C13] Consensus: Advance proposed draft UTR #38 to draft UAX #38 for inclusion into Unicode 5.1.0, with changes as discussed.
[111-C14] Consensus: Add True/False as alternates for Yes/No to the binary and trinary QuickCheck properties, and Undetermined as an alternate for Maybe for the trinary ones, in PropertyValueAliases.txt, and document the principle in UCD.html.
[111-C15] Consensus: Approve minutes of meeting #110, document L2/07-
[111-C16] Consensus: Ask the officers to consider sending a liaison letter to SC2 expressing our concern about the future of ISO/IEC TR 14652.
[111-C17] Consensus: Accept the following 13 points as recommended by the Scripts Subcommittee from the WG2 consent docket L2/07-150.
1. Accept one character name change:
2C78 LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH NOTCH
2. Accept two more characters in the Vai block, based on WG2 N3243 and extend the Vai block from A500..A62F to A500..A63F:
A62A VAI SYLLABLE NDOLE MA A62B VAI SYLLABLE NDOLE DO
3. Accept 6 new math arrows:
2B47 REVERSE TILDE OPERATOR ABOVE RIGHTWARDS ARROW 2B48 RIGHTWARDS ARROW ABOVE REVERSE ALMOST EQUAL TO 2B49 TILDE OPERATOR ABOVE LEFTWARDS ARROW 2B4A LEFTWARDS ARROW ABOVE ALMOST EQUAL TO 2B4B LEFTWARDS ARROW ABOVE REVERSE TILDE OPERATOR 2B4C RIGHTWARDS ARROW ABOVE REVERSE TILDE OPERATOR
4. Approve the encoding of Lanna, as documented in WG2 N3254 (Charts for FPDAM 4, = L2/07-131), with block name "LANNA" and block range 1A20..1AAF.
5. Approve the disunification of U+4039 and put the new character at U+9FC3, and update the source mapping and revised property data for both U+4039 and newly encoded U+9FC3.
6. Approve the three Coptic macron characters, encoded in the Combining Half Marks block:
FE24 COMBINING MACRON LEFT HALF FE25 COMBINING MACRON RIGHT HALF FE26 COMBINING CONJOINING MACRON
7. Approve four Oriya and Malayalam dependent vowels which are needed to complete the set of Vedic Sanskrit vowels, as written in those scripts:
0B44 ORIYA VOWEL SIGN VOCALIC RR 0B62 ORIYA VOWEL SIGN VOCALIC L 0B63 ORIYA VOWEL SIGN VOCALIC LL 0D63 MALAYALAM VOWEL SIGN VOCALIC LL
8. Approve modifications to the Cyrillic Extended B block boundary and the Bamum block boundary, remove Cyrillic Extended C as a block, and accept revised codepoints for the Cyrillic characters from the former Cyrillic Extended C block and revised codepoints for Bamum, as given in the WG2 consent docket L2/07-150.
9. Accept 7 new characters for Coptic:
2CEB COPTIC CAPITAL LETTER CRYPTOGRAMMIC SHEI 2CEC COPTIC SMALL LETTER CRYPTOGRAMMIC SHEI 2CED COPTIC CAPITAL LETTER CRYPTOGRAMMIC GANGIA 2CEE COPTIC SMALL LETTER CRYPTOGRAMMIC GANGIA 2CEF COPTIC COMBINING NI ABOVE 2CF0 COPTIC COMBINING SPIRITUS ASPER 2CF1 COPTIC COMBINING SPIRITUS LENIS
10. Approve 1063 basic Egyptian hieroglyphs, based on WG2 N3237 (= L2/07-097, superseding earlier L2 documents on the topic): 13000..13426 Egyptian Hieroglyphs (block boundaries: 13000..1342F).
11. Approve the additional 107 Old Hangul jamo characters and the two new block definitions as specified in L2/07-132 (WG2 N3265).
12. Approve the revised Tai Viet script and block name, with revised code points and names, as shown in L2/07-099.
13. Disapprove U+10B38 AVESTAN SEPARATION POINT. (Note: this was also disapproved at UTC #110.)
[111-M1] Motion: Accept the LATIN CAPITAL SHARP S for encoding at U+1E9E with the following properties:
- Add properties: Uppercase Sharp S goes to lowercase sharp s
- And add to case folding table.
- No consensus to add casing from lower to upper.
- No change to existing lowercase sharp s.
Moved by Rick McGowan, seconded by Eric Muller
9 for (Google, IBM, MS, Tamil Nadu, Govt India, Sun, Apple, UCB, Adobe)
1 against (Yahoo)
1 abstain (Sybase)
Motion 111-M1 carries.
[111-C18] Consensus: Accept the proposal for North Indian accounting signs L2/07-139, except for the 3 "independent fractions" with dots, which can be made by the dependent ones with middle dots on either side: These are:
North Indian Independent Fraction One Quarter North Indian Independent Fraction One Half North Indian Independent Fraction Three Quarters
The 10 North Indian accounting signs to be accepted are:
2150 NORTH INDIAN FRACTION ONE QUARTER 2151 NORTH INDIAN FRACTION ONE HALF 2152 NORTH INDIAN FRACTION THREE QUARTERS 2189 NORTH INDIAN FRACTION ONE SIXTEENTH 218A NORTH INDIAN FRACTION ONE EIGHTH 218B NORTH INDIAN FRACTION THREE SIXTEENTHS 218C NORTH INDIAN QUARTER MARK 218D NORTH INDIAN PLACEHOLDER MARK 218E NORTH INDIAN RUPEE MARK 218F NORTH INDIAN WEIGHT MARK
[111-C19] Consensus: Approve four religious characters in L2/07-148 for encoding in the Tibetan block:
0FD5 Tibetan Symbol Gyung Drung Nang -Khor 0FD6 Tibetan Symbol Gyung Drung Phyi -Khor 0FD7 Tibetan Symbol Gyung Drung Nang -Khor Bzhi Mig Can 0FD8 Tibetan Symbol Gyung Drung Phyi -Khor Bzhi Mig Can
[111-C20] Consensus: UTC would like to see an updated Anatolian Hieroglyphs proposal for the next UTC meeting, in order to target approval for a future version of the Unicode standard.