South Asia Subcommittee Report
Monday August 11, 2008
- encode U+094E DEVANAGARI VOWEL SIGN PRISHTHAMATRA E with the representative glyph in L2/08-273R
- make changes to the annotations as discussed
- Amd 6 ballot comment: request the encoding of this character
- record an action item to add text to the Devanagari block description to explain the behavior of this character
1.2 GAP FILLER and HEADSTROKE
- encode U+A8F9 DEVANAGARI GAP FILLER (see L2/08-273R)
- encode U+A8FB DEVANAGARI HEADSTROKE (see L2/08-273R)
- Amd 6 ballot comment: request the encoding of these characters
- record an action item to include examples of A8F9 in context
- record an action item for the Govt. of India to comment as necessary on those two characters by the February UTC meeting
- record an action item that the properties of these two characters be carefully determined, in particular the general category
1.3 Pushpika and caret
- move U+0973 DEVANAGARI SIGN PUSHPIKA to U+A8F8
- move U+0974 DEVANAGARI CARET to U+A8FA
- Amd 6 ballot comment: request the move of these characters
- Amd 6 ballot comment: request the move of U+1CF1 VEDIC SIGN ARDHAVISARGA to U+1CF2
1.5 KASHMIRI SVARITA
- Amd 6 ballot comment: request the encoding of U+1CD4 VEDIC SIGN YAJURVEDIC KASHMIRI SVARITA (see L2/08-273R)
1.6 ANUSVARA UBHAYATO MUKHA
- Amd 6 ballot comment: request the encoding of U+1CF1 VEDIC SIGN ANUSVARA
UBHAYATO MUKHA (see L2/08-273R)
- Amd 6 ballot comment: request the encoding of 1CE9..1CEC (see L2/08-273R)
- Change the names of U+0FD5..0FD8:
- 0FD5 RIGHT-FACING SVASTI SIGN
- 0FD6 LEFT-FACING SVASTI SIGN
- 0FD7 RIGHT-FACING SVASTI SIGN WITH DOTS
- 0FD8 LEFT-FACING SVASTI SIGN WITH DOTS
- Amd 6 ballot comment: request the change of names
1.9 Action items
Manoj Jain reported the result of action items 115-A15, A16, A17, A20, which can marked as done.
2 Kashmiri additions
Recommendation: Wait for further comments from Govt. of India; give an action item to that effect to the Govt. of India.
3. Meetei Mayek
The overall intent is to arrange for the Amendment 6 repertoire to match the 56 characters acceptable to the Govt. of Manipur.
- approve the encoding of U+ABE2 MEETEI MAYEK I LONSUM
- move the 55 characters listed in L2/08-232 (not including MEETEI MAYEK I LONSUM) so that the first character is at U+ABC0, and the others are in the same relative positions as in L2/08-232
- move the remaining 23 characters already accepted at code positions starting with U+AAE0..AAF5, in a new block "Meetei Mayek Extended"
- Amd 6 ballot comments: include only the 56 characters in L2/08-232, and move to start at ABC0; remove the 22 other characters currently under ballot for further study and possible future ballot.
Recommendation: the overall intent is to support the end result presented in L2/08-276. Given the previous approvals. this translates in moving 14 characters already approved, changing the name for two of them, changing the general category for one, and adding 13 characters.
|Old code point
||New code point
||change name to MYANMAR LETTER KHAMTI CA
||change name to MYANMAR MODIFIER LETTER
change general category to Lm
New characters, AA60, AA62-AA64, AA66-AA6A, AA6E, AA74-76, as documented in L2/08-276.
Recommendation: Respond to the documents L2/08-240 and L2/08-241 with three comments:
- ask whether the sequences including the aytham (pages 24 and 25) should become named sequences in Unicode
- with regards to item k on page 30, it seems that the specification would make the entry of the sequence <KA, SIGN E, LLA> difficult
- recommend that the standards be made available to SC2/WG2