L2/09-003R

Preliminary Minutes of the UTC 118 / L2 215 Joint Meeting
Mountain View, CA -- February 2-6, 2009
Hosted by Unicode

UTC #118 Agenda
March 13, 2009


Monday, February 2, 2009

Administrative Roll Call (A.1)

PRESENT: Adobe Systems, Inc, Apple Computer, Inc. (proxy), Google, Inc., IBM Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, NetApp, Sun Microsystems Inc., Sybase Inc., UC Berkeley, Yahoo! Inc. 9 full members and 1 institutional members present, 10 total votes

NOT PRESENT: Denic e.G., India MIT, Monotype Imaging Corporation, Oracle Corporation, SAP AG, Tamil Nadu, W. Bengal SNLTR
3 full members, 3 institutional members, and 1 supporting member not present, 6.5 total votes

Voting members: 12 full, 4 institutional, 1 supporting
Voting members in regular attendance: 9 full, 3 institutional, 0 supporting
Quorum: 7

Administrative — Minutes Approval (A.5.1)

[118-C1] Consensus: Approve the minutes of joint meeting UTC 117/L2 214. [L2/08-361R]

Administrative  —  Calendar review (A.6)

  UTC 119/L2 216 - May 11-15, 2009, San Jose, host Adobe
  UTC 120/L2 217 - August 10-14, 2009, Redmond, host Microsoft
  UTC 121/L2 218 - November 2-6, 2006, Cupertion, host Apple, Annual Members Mtg
  UTC 118/L2 215 - February 1-5, 2010, Mountain View, host Unicode

Encoding Non-text Unicode Characters (B.17) 

[118-A1] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to the author of L2/09-010 that this function is what the PUA was designed for. So

Editorial Committee —  Rejected and Under Investigation (B.13.4)

[118-A2] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Draft a page of prior precedent-setting non-approvals to replace the rejected characters page. [L2/08-045]

[118-A3] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Restructure the current rejected chars page as a numbered list of explanations for non-approvals. [L2/08-045]

[118-A4] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Delete the web page on characters under investigation. [L2/08-045]

[118-A5] Action Item for Peter Constable: Notify the proposers of characters documented on the investigation page to see further action is required. [L2/08-045]

South Asian Subcommittee (E)

South Asian Subcommittee meeting in the afternoon, report: L2/09-075


Tuesday, February 3, 2009

PRESENT: Adobe Systems, Inc, Apple Computer, Inc., Google, Inc., IBM Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, NetApp, Sun Microsystems Inc., Sybase Inc., UC Berkeley 8 full members and 1 institutional members present, 9 total votes

NOT PRESENT: Denic e.G., India MIT, Monotype Imaging Corporation, Oracle Corporation, SAP AG, Tamil Nadu, W. Bengal SNLTR, Yahoo! Inc.
4 full members, 3 institutional members, and 1 supporting member not present, 6.5 total votes

Symbols Subcommittee (D)

Symbols Subcommittee meeting all day.


Wednesday, February 4, 200

PRESENT: Adobe Systems, Inc, Apple Computer, Inc., Google, Inc., IBM Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, NetApp, Sun Microsystems Inc., Sybase Inc., UC Berkeley, Yahoo! Inc. 9 full members and 1 institutional members present, 10 total votes

NOT PRESENT: Denic e.G., India MIT, Monotype Imaging Corporation, Oracle Corporation, SAP AG, Tamil Nadu, W. Bengal SNLTR
3 full members, 3 institutional members, and 1 supporting member not present, 6.5 total votes

Scripts —  Alchemical Symbols (B.15.14) 

[118-A6] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Work with the authors of the proposal for alchemical symbols to make corrections to names and other updates as discussed. [L2/09-037R]

[118-A7] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Send a font for the Newton alchemical symbols to Michel Suignard and Rick McGowan by March 1, 2009. [L2/09-037R]

Scripts —  Additional Ethiopic Characters (B.15.16) 

[118-A8] Action Item for Lorna Priest, Michael Everson: Prepare new chart for Ethiopic letters for consideration later in the meeting. [L2/09-050R]

Unicode Technical Reports —  Regex for Grapheme Clusters (B.12.3.1) 

[118-C2] Consensus: Add information about the Regex pattern for grapheme clusters to the update of Unicode Standard Annex #29: Unicode Text Segmentation as informative. [L2/09-051]

[118-A9] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Add the information from L2/09-051 about the Regex pattern for grapheme clusters to the update of Unicode Standard Annex #29: Unicode Text Segmentation as informative.

Editorial Committee —  UAX Updates for Unicode 5.2 (B.13.5)

[118-C3] Consensus: Open Public Review Issues for proposed updates for all of the Unicode Standard Annexes for Unicode 5.2.

[118-A10] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post draft Unicode Standard Annex update pages and open Public Review Issues for proposed updates for all Unicode Standard Annexes for Unicode 5.2, to close on May 4, 2009. 

Symbols —  Emoticons from Major Vendors 

[118-A11] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Thank the author of the document of the comparison of emoticons and relay that the UTC reviewed the document and will make use of the background information provided. [L2/09-007]

Symbols —  ARIB Characters (D.3) 

[118-C4] Consensus: Change the names of 10 ARIB symbols and move SQUARE DJ from U+1F14F to U+1F190: [L2/09-064]
U+1F157 WHITE ON BLACK CIRCLED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER H => NEGATIVE CIRCLED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER H
U+1F15F WHITE ON BLACK CIRCLED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER P => NEGATIVE CIRCLED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER P
U+1F179 WHITE ON BLACK SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER J => NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER J
U+1F17B WHITE ON BLACK SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER L => NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER L
U+1F17C WHITE ON BLACK SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER M => NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER M
U+1F17F WHITE ON BLACK SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER P => NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER P
U+1F18A CROSSED WHITE ON BLACK SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER P => CROSSED NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER P
U+1F18B WHITE ON BLACK SQUARED IC => NEGATIVE SQUARED IC
U+1F18C WHITE ON BLACK SQUARED PA => NEGATIVE SQUARED PA
U+1F18D WHITE ON BLACK SQUARED SA => NEGATIVE SQUARED SA


[118-A12] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add to ballot comments for Amendment 6 the request to change the names of 10 ARIB symbols and move SQUARE DJ  from U+1F14F to U+1F190.) See 118-C4. [L2/09-064]

[118-A13] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline for the name changes of 10 ARIB symbols and the move of SQUARE DJ from U+1F14F to U+1F190. See 118-C4.

Symbols —  Proposal to encode a German trademark symbol in the UCS (D.5

[118-C5] Consensus: Accept U+1F12E CIRCLED WZ for encoding in a future version of the standard. [L2/09-034]

[118-A14] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+1F12E CIRCLED WZ. [L2/09-034]

[118-A15] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add to ballot comments for Amendment 6 the request to add U+1F12E CIRCLED WZ. See 118-C5. [L2/09-034]

Symbols —  Proposal to encode two heavy low quotes for German (D.7) 

[118-C6] Consensus: Accept U+275F HEAVY LOW SINGLE COMMA QUOTATION MARK ORNAMENT and U+2760 HEAVY LOW DOUBLE COMMA QUOTATION MARK ORNAMENT for encoding in a future version of the standard. [L2/09-021]

[118-A16] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+275F HEAVY LOW SINGLE COMMA QUOTATION MARK ORNAMENT and U+2760 HEAVY LOW DOUBLE COMMA QUOTATION MARK ORNAMENT. [L2/09-021]

Scripts —  Proposal to encode a modifier letter "C" for Canadian legal use (B.15.13) 

[118-A17] Action Item for Rick McGowan, Deborah Anderson: Reply to author proposing to encode a modifier letter "C" that the UTC would consider adding two compatibility symbols for MC / MD. [L2/09-035]

IETF —  IDNAbis Security Issues (B.5.2.4)

[118-A18] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Make improvements in L2/09-041 in accordance with discussion in committee (including local mapping options discussed, as documented in L2/09-077) and hold off on incorporating into Proposed Draft Unicode Technical Standard #46 Unicode IDNA Compatible Preprocesssing until the situation with IDNAbis clarifies. Communicate this to Marcos. [L2/09-041]


Thursday, February 5, 2009

PRESENT: Adobe Systems, Inc, Apple Computer, Inc., Google, Inc., IBM Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, NetApp, Sun Microsystems Inc., Sybase Inc., UC Berkeley, Yahoo! Inc. 9 full members and 1 institutional members present, 10 total votes

NOT PRESENT: Denic e.G., India MIT, Monotype Imaging Corporation, Oracle Corporation, SAP AG, Tamil Nadu, W. Bengal SNLTR
3 full members, 3 institutional members, and 1 supporting member not present, 6.5 total votes

Public Review Issue 127 Unicode Character Database (B.11.1)

[118-A19] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Make the default values clearer in Proposed Update Unicode Standard Annex #44: Unicode Character Database. [L2/09-023]

Public Review Issue 128 Unicode Ideographic Variation Database (B.11.2 )

[118-A20] Action Item for Eric Muller, Editorial Committee: Include comments on PRI #128 in the next revision of Proposed Update Unicode Technical Standard #37: Unicode Ideographic Variation Database. [L2/09-023, L2/09-036, L2/08-394]

[118-A21] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Add to the agenda for the May 2009 UTC -- B.11.2.1.1 General feedback [L2/09-023] and B.11.2.1.2 [L2/09-036] regarding Public Review Issue #128, the review of Proposed Update Unicode Technical Standard #37: Unicode Ideographic Variation Database. 

Public Review Issue 130 Zero Width Space (B.11.3)

[118-C7] Consensus: Adopt the proposal in Public Review Issue 130 to change the word break property for U+200B ZERO WIDTH SPACE to "Other" for Unicode 5.2. [L2/09-053]

[118-A22] Action Item for Mark Davis: Change the word break property of U+200B ZERO WIDTH SPACE to "Other" in Unicode 5.2. [L2/09-053]

[118-A23] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close Public Review Issue 130 with the status. See consensus 118-C7.

[118-A24] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Extend Public Review Issues 127 and 128 to May 4, 2009.

Public Review Issue 132 — Code Point Name/Label Options (B.11.4)

[118-A25] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Send the Public Review Issue 131 feedback in document L2/09-023 to the CLDR technical committee.

[118-C8] Consensus: Adopt option D of Public Review Issue 132 on code point names or labels. Make changes in the text as documented in "Changes if we do option C" of the PRI document, except for the fourth bullet of section 4.8. That bullet becomes an informative note about API and chart conventions. The Editorial Committee to make adjustments as necessary. [L2/09-055]

[118-A26] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Update the text of Unicode 5.2 to reflect the outcome of Public Review Issue 132 on code point names or labels.

[118-C9] Consensus: Request the officers to update the stability policy on character names to align with the proposed wording in L2/09-055.

[118-A27] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Request the officers to update the stability policy on character names as per consensus 118-C9. [L2/09-055]

[118-A28] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close Public Review Issue 132 with the outcome per consensus 118-C8. [L2/09-055]

Unicode Technical Reports — Bidi Issues (B.12.1.1)

[118-C10] Consensus: Documenation error. See action 118-A29.

[118-A29] Action Item for Mark Davis: Ask the Bidi Committee to come up with revised text for HL6 and possibly L4 of UAX #9 to address problems with bidi mirroring. [L2/08-418]

[118-C11] Consensus: Issue a Public Review Issue connected with 1) X9 in the Unicode Bidi Algorithm and 2) the "Bug 1" reported on N1 of the bidi algorithm, both as described in L2/09-073 and amended in discussion. The Public Review Issue will provide test cases that can be used to assess  existing implementations. 

[118-A30] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Draft text for a Public Review Issue connected with X9 and N1 of the bidi algorithm as discussed in Consensus 118-C11. [L2/09-073]

[118-A31] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post the Public Review Issue connected with X9 and N1 of the bidi algorithm, to close May 4, 2009. See 118-C11 above. [L2/09-073]

[118-C12] Consensus: Remove the problematic statement described in "Bug 2" of document L2/09-073 in the proposed update of Unicode Standard Annex #9: Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm.

[118-A32] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Include in the changes made for the proposed update of Unicode Standard Annex #9: Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm removing the problematic statement described in "Bug 2" of document L2/09-073.

[118-C13] Consensus: Ask the Bidi Committee to come up with proposed conformance test data and a background document for the Public Review Issue connected with 1) X9 in the Unicode Bidi Algorithm and 2) the "Bug 1" reported on N1. See 118-A32 and 118-C12.

[118-A33] Action Item for Mark Davis: Work with the Bidi Committee on Public Review Issue text and a background document  for consensus 118-C13 (on X9 and N1) by the end of February 2009.

[118-A34] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Review the Bidi Committee's background document (on X9 and N1) as per consensus 118-C13 and include in the Public Review Issue.

[118-A35] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post the bidi Public Review Issue to close May 4, 2009.

Scripts —  Additional Ethiopic Characters (B.15.16) 

[118-C14] Consensus: Accept 32 Ethiopic characters in block "Ethiopic Extended-A" at U+AB00..U+AB2F and two other Ethiopic characters for encoding in a future version of the standard: [L2/09-050R]
U+135D ETHIOPIC COMBINING GEMINATION AND VOWEL LENGTH MARK
U+135E ETHIOPIC COMBINING VOWEL LENGTH MARK
U+AB01 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE TTHU
U+AB02 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE TTHI
U+AB03 THIOPIC SYLLABLE TTHAA
U+AB04 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE TTHEE
U+AB05 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE TTHE
U+AB06 THIOPIC SYLLABLE TTHO
U+AB09 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE DDHU
U+AB0A ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE DDHI
U+AB0B ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE DDHAA
U+AB0C ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE DDHEE
U+AB0D ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE DDHE
U+AB0E ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE DDHO
U+AB11 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE DZU
U+AB12 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE DZI
U+AB13 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE DZAA
U+AB14 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE DZEE
U+AB15 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE DZE
U+AB16 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE DZO
U+AB20 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE CCHHA
U+AB21 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE CCHHU
U+AB22 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE CCHHI
U+AB23 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE CCHHAA
U+AB24 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE CCHHEE
U+AB25 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE CCHHE
U+AB26 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE CCHHO
U+AB28 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE BBA
U+AB29 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE BBU
U+AB2A ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE BBI
U+AB2B ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE BBAA
U+AB2C ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE BBEE
U+AB2D ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE BBE
U+AB2E ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE BBO

[118-A36] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of 32 Ethiopic characters at U+AB01..U+AB2E in block "Ethiopic Extended-A", and two Ethiopic characters: U+135D ETHIOPIC COMBINING GEMINATION AND VOWEL LENGTH MARK and
U+135E ETHIOPIC COMBINING VOWEL LENGTH MARK.[L2/09-050R]

[118-A37] Action Item for Lorna Priest: Forward document L2/09-050R to WG2. 

[118-A38] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add the 34 approved Ethiopic characters to the document requesting new content additions to 10646, for the April WG2 meeting. [L2/09-050R]

Scripts —  Imperial Aramaic Section Sign (B.15.2) 

[118-C15] Consensus: Accept U+10857 IMPERIAL ARAMAIC SECTION SIGN for encoding in a future version of the standard. [L2/09-066]

[118-A39] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of U+10857 IIMPERIAL ARAMAIC SECTION SIGN. [L2/09-066

 Scripts Old Bamum (B.15.3) 

[118-A40] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Follow up with authors of  the proposal to encode Old Bamum with comments raised in UTC discussion. [L2/09-019]

Scripts —  Additional Cyrillic Characters (B.15.4) 

[118-C16] Consensus: Accept U+A660 CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER REVERSED TSE and U+A661 CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER REVERSED TSE for encoding in a future version of the standard with properties as documented in L2/09-020

[118-A41] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of U+A660 CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER REVERSED TSE and U+A661 CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER REVERSED TSE. [L2/09-020]

[118-A42] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+A660 CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER REVERSED TSE and U+A661 CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER REVERSED TSE to the document requesting new content additions to 10646, for the April WG2 meeting. [L2/09-020]

 Scripts Unified Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics Extended Block (B.15.6)  

[118-C17] Consensus: Re-order the Amendment 6 and 7 Unified Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics characters and change the block name to "Unified Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics Extended" at U+18B0..U+18FF. [L2/09-018]

[118-A43] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect the re-ordering of Amendment 6 and 7 Unified Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics characters and change the block name to "Unified Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics Extended" at U+18B0..U+18FF. [L2/09-018]

[118-A44] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add to ballot comments acceptance of re-ordering the Amendment 6 and 7 Unified Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics characters and changing the block name to "Unified Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics Extended" at U+18B0..U+18FF. [L2/09-018]

Scripts Batak (B.15.19) 

[118-M1] Motion: In ballot comments on Amendment 7, ask for removal of Batak because some characters should be unified, and BATAK SYMBOL BINDU GODANG and BATAK SYMBOL BINDU PINARJOLMA. [L2/08-011, L2/09-063]

Moved by Eric Muller, seconded by Peter Constable

8 for (Adobe, Apple, Google, IBM, Microsoft, Sun, Sybase, Yahoo)
1 against (UCB)
1 abstain (NetApp)

Motion carried.

[118-A45] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add the position not to encode Batak (see motion 118-M1)  to ballot comments on Amendment 7.

Scripts Historic Kana (B.15.18)

[118-C18] Consensus: Accept U+1B000 KATAKANA LETTER ARCHAIC E in a new block "Historic Kana" U+1B000..U+1B0FF for encoding in a future version of the standard. L2/07-421.

[118-A46] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of U+1B000 KATAKANA LETTER ARCHAIC E in a new block "Historic Kana" U+1B000..U+1B0FF.

[118-A47] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add the acceptance of U+1B000 KATAKANA LETTER ARCHAIC E in a new block "Historic Kana" U+1B000..U+1B0FF to ballot comments on Amendment 7.

 Scripts Tibetan (B.15.11

[118-A48] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Check if the glyphs were swapped for U+1883 MONGOLIAN LETTER ALI GALI UBADAMA and U+1884 MONGOLIAN LETTER ALI GALI INVERTED UBADAMA and report back.  [L2/09-032]

[118-C19] Consensus: Accept 4 Tibetan letters for encoding in a future version of the standard with properties as documented in L2/09-032:
U+0F8C TIBETAN SIGN INVERTED MCHU CAN
U+0F8D TIBETAN SUBJOINED SIGN LCE TSA CAN
U+0F8E TIBETAN SUBJOINED SIGN MCHU CAN
U+0F8F TIBETAN SUBJOINED SIGN INVERTED MCHU CAN

[118-A49] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of 4 Tibetan letters (U+0F8C..U+0F8F). [L2/09-032]

[118-A50] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add 4 Tibetan letters (U+0F8C..U+0F8F) to the document requesting new content additions to 10646, for the April WG2 meeting.

[118-C20] Consensus: Accept 2 Tibetan annotation marks U+0FD9 TIBETAN MARK LEADING MCHAN RTAGS and U+0FDA TIBETAN MARK TRAILING MCHAN RTAGS for encoding in a future version of the standard with properties as documented in L2/09-033

[118-A51] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of U+0FD9 TIBETAN MARK LEADING MCHAN RTAGS and U+0FDA TIBETAN MARK TRAILING MCHAN RTAGS [L2/09-033]

[118-A52] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add 2 Tibetan annotation marks (U+0FD9..U+0FDA) to the document requesting new content additions to 10646, for the April WG2 meeting. [L2/09-033]

[118-A53] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Obtain fonts for the 6 Tibetan characters (U+0F8C..U+0F8F, U+0FD9..U+0FDA) and forward to Michel Suignard. [L2/09-033]

Scripts   Phags-pa Transliteration Middle Dot  (B.15.10

[118-A54] Action Item for Peter Edberg, Mark Davis: Look for middle dots with suitable properties that would work for Phags-Pa transliteration. [L2/09-031]

Scripts   Bopomofo  (B.15.15)

[118-C21] Consensus: Accept three Bopomofo letters for encoding in a future version of the standard with properties as given in L2/09-049:
U+31B8 BOPOMOFO LETTER GH
U+31B9 BOPOMOFO LETTER LH
U+31BA BOPOMOFO LETTER ZY

[118-A55] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of 3 Bopomofo letters (U+31B8..U+31BA). [L2/09-049]

[118-A56] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add 3 Bopomofo letters (U+31B8..U+31BA) to the document requesting new content additions to 10646, for the April WG2 meeting. [L2/09-049]


Friday, February 6, 2009

PRESENT: Adobe Systems, Inc, Apple Computer, Inc., Google, Inc., IBM Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, Sun Microsystems Inc., Sybase Inc., UC Berkeley, Yahoo! Inc. 8 full members and 1 institutional members present, 9 total votes

NOT PRESENT: Denic e.G., India MIT, Monotype Imaging Corporation, NetApp, Oracle Corporation, SAP AG, Tamil Nadu, W. Bengal SNLTR
4 full members, 3 institutional members, and 1 supporting member not present, 7.5 total votes

Administrative  Agenda (A.4)

[118-A57] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Add agenda item E.1.1 Bengali issues to the agenda for the next meeting. [L2/09-008, L2/09-075]

[118-A58] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Add agenda item E.2.1 Kashmiri to the agenda for the next meeting. [L2/09-012, L2/09-075]

South Asian Script Subcommittee Kashmiri (E.2)

[118-A59] Action Item for Eric Muller: Ask Swaran Lata to forward document L2/09-012 regarding proposed additions for Kashmiri to WG2. [L2/09-075]

UTC Membership Roll Call Adjustment
PRESENT: NetApp now represented.
10 members present

South Asian Script Subcommittee Malayalam (E.3) 

[118-A60] Action Item for Cibu Johny: Create a proposal for encoding a Malayalam dot reph character for the next UTC meeting. [L2/08-411]

[118-C22] Consensus: Adopt the recommendation in section 3.2 of document L2/09-075 regarding the representation of Malayalam Chandrakkala.

[118-A61] Action Item for Eric Muller, Editorial Committee: Update the text of Malayalam in the standard based on the recommendation in section 3.2 of document L2/09-075 regarding the representation of Malayalam Chandrakkala for Unicode 5.2.

[118-A62] Action Item for Cibu Johny, Ken Whistler: Create a proposal for updating the UCA for Malayalam weights in DUCET, based on L2/09-069.

South Asian Script Subcommittee Vedic (E.4) 

[118-C23] Consensus: Change the name of U+1CD4 from VEDIC SIGN YAJURVEDIC KASHMIRI SVARITA to VEDIC SIGN MID-CHARACTER SVARITA. [L2/09-060]

[118-A63] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect change of name of U+1CD4 to VEDIC SIGN MID-CHARACTER SVARITA. [L2/09-060]

[118-A64] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add requests to 1) change the name of U+1CD4 from VEDIC SIGN YAJURVEDIC KASHMIRI SVARITA to VEDIC SIGN MID-CHARACTER SVARITA and 2) to add the annotation “used for insertion of characters” to U+A8FA DEVANAGARI CARET to ballot comments on Amendment 6.

South Asian Script Subcommittee Kaithi (E.6)

[118-C24] Consensus: Accept U+110BE KAITHI SECTION MARK and U+110BF KAITHI DOUBLE SECTION MARK for encoding in a future version of the standard. [L2/07-199, L2/09-070, L2/09-071]

[118-A65] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of U+110BE KAITHI SECTION MARK and U+110BF KAITHI DOUBLE SECTION MARK for encoding in a future version of the standard. [L2/07-199, L2/09-070, L2/09-071]

[118-A66] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add the request to encode U+110BE KAITHI SECTION MARK and U+110BF KAITHI DOUBLE SECTION MARK to ballot comments on Amendment 6. [L2/07-199, L2/09-070, L2/09-071]

[118-A67] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Obtain a font for the two Kaithi section mark additions. [L2/07-199, L2/09-070, L2/09-071]

[118-A68] Action Item for Deborah Anderson, Anshuman Pandey: Submit a revised version of the supporting documentation for the addition of U+110BE KAITHI SECTION MARK and U+110BF KAITHI DOUBLE SECTION MARK to WG2. [L2/09-071

Scripts Alchemical Symbols (B.15.14) 

[118-C25] Consensus: Accept the repertoire of 116 alchemical symbols at U+1F700..U+1F773 with block name "Alchemical Symbols" at U+1F700..U+1F77F for encoding in a future version of the standard. [L2/09-037R]

[118-A69] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of 116 alchemical symbols at U+1F700..U+1F773 with block name "Alchemical Symbols" at U+1F700..U+1F77F. [L2/09-037R]

[118-A70] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add 116 alchemical symbols (U+1F700..U+1F773) to the document requesting new content additions to 10646, for the April WG2 meeting. [L2/09-037R]  

[118-A71] Action Item for Deborah Anderson, William Newman: Create a proposal summary form for the 116 alchemical symbols accepted at U+1F700..U+1F773 and submit to WG2. [L2/09-037R]

[118-A72] Action Item for Deborah Anderson, Rick McGowan: Obtain the font for the alchemical symbols and forward to Michel Suignard. [L2/09-037R]  

WG2 Compatibility Ideographs (B.1.7) 

[118-C26] Consensus: Adopt the position on compatibility ideographs outlined in document L2/09-080 and as amended in discussion. [L2/08-371]

[118-A73] Action Item for Eric Muller: Update L2/09-080 on compatibility ideographs as amended in discussion, and forward to WG2 for the April meeting, and to the UTC document registry as L2/09-080R. [L2/08-371]

Symbols Subcommittee Emoji (D.2)

[118-M2] Motion: Accept 674 emoji characters for encoding in a future version of the standar with names and codepoints as documented in L2/09-026R.

Moved by Mark Davis, seconded by Peter Edberg

9 for (Adobe, Apple, Google, IBM, Microsoft, Sun, Sybase, UCB, Yahoo)
1 against (NetApp)
0 abstain

Motion carried.

[118-C27] Consensus: Create two new blocks to accommodate the 674 emoji characters. "Miscellaneous Pictographic Symbols" at U+1F300..U+1F5FF and "Emoji Compatibility Symbols" at U+1F600..U+1F64F. [L2/09-026R]

[118-A74] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to reflect acceptance of 674 emoji characters as documented in L2/09-026R.

[118-A75] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add 674 emoji characters as documented in L2/09-026R to the document requesting anew content additions to 10646, for the April WG2 meeting.

[118-A76] Action Item for Markus Scherer: Revise L2/09-025R to include a rationale section and information on the emoji compatibility characters, and forward to WG2 along with  L2/09-026R

[118-C28] Consensus: As part of the overall emoji proposal, request that WG2 to add the emoji sources documented in L2/09-078 as a normative part of 10646.

[118-A77] Action Item for Markus Scherer: Add the context and explanation of the emoji sources into the revision of L2/09-025R and also forward L2/09-078 to WG2.

[118-C29] Consensus: Include the emoji source data in the UCD for a future version of the standard. [L2/09-078]

[118-A78] Action Item for Mark Davis: Add the emoji source data files to the UCD for a future version of the standard. [L2/09-078]

[118-A79] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Update Proposed Update Unicode Standard Annex #44: Unicode Character Database with documentation on the new emoji source data file, for a future version of the standard. [L2/09-078]

Close of Joint Meeting —  Current Ballots (G.2)

[118-C30] Consensus: Approve the ballot comments on Amendments 6 and 7 and the requested new additions, as documented in L2/09-082, L2/09-083, and L2/09-084.

Administrative   Agenda (A.4)

[118-A80] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Add B.3 IRG Liaison report to the agenda for the next UTC meeting. [L2/09-079]

Unicode Technical Reports Korean Processing Transformations (B.12.4)

[118-A81] Action Item for Mark Davis, Ienup Sung, Jungshik Shin: Upate the Working Draft Proposed Draft Unicode Technical Report #47, Korean Processing Transformations based on feedback in the meeting and prepare another working draft for the next UTC meeting. [L2/09-052]

Unicode Technical Reports Unicode Script Property (B.12.2)

[118-C31] Consensus: For the next meeting, produce a working draft of a new proposed section for UAX #24 that discusses the use of characters with multiple scripts, based upon feedback on document L2/09-029R2. [L2/09-029R2]

[118-A82] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: For the May 2009 UTC meeting, produce a working draft of a new proposed section for UAX #24 that discusses the use of characters with multiple scripts, based upon feedback on document L2/09-029R2.

Administrative Agenda (A.4)

[118-A83] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Put B.3.2 IRG use of IVD collections on the agenda for the next UTC meeting. [L2/08-425]

Properties General Category Change (B.14.5) 

[118-C32] Consensus: Change the general category of  U+2071 SUPERSCRIPT LATIN SMALL LETTER I and U+207F SUPERSCRIPT LATIN SMALL LETTER N  from "Ll" to "Lm" for Unicode 5.2. [L2/08-431]

[118-A84] Action Item for Ken Whistler: In the UCD, change the general category of  U+2071 SUPERSCRIPT LATIN SMALL LETTER I and U+207F SUPERSCRIPT LATIN SMALL LETTER N  from "Ll" to "Lm" for Unicode 5.2. [L2/08-431]

Properties kRSURadBreak Data (B.14.1) 

[118-C33] Consensus: Add data relating radical numbers to the appropriate unified ideographs and CJK radicals and have the Editorial Committee determine the appropriate place for the data. [L2/09-017]

[118-A85] Action Item for Eric Muller, Richard Cook: Create the data relating radical numbers to unified ideographs and CJK radicals. See consensus 118-C33. [L2/09-017]

[118-A86] Action Item for Eric Muller, Editorial Committee: Determine the appropriate place for the data file relating radical numbers to the appropriate ideographs and CJK radicals. [L2/09-017]

[118-A87] Action Item for Eric Muller: Determine if there is a problem with the kRSUnicode index. [L2/09-017]

Properties Script Value for Georgian (B.14.3 ) 

[118-A88] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Clarify in Unicode Standard Annex #24: Unicode Script Property and Unicode Standard Annex #44: Unicode Character Database the point about underscores raised in L2/08-426 section 4.

[118-A89] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Reply to Kent Karlsson to thank him for his feedback on script values. Mention that we never drop property value aliases, and also that the UTC will not make any changes to Georgian. [L2/08-426]

Administrative Agenda (A.4)

[118-A90] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Add to the agenda for the next UTC meeting, the following agenda items;
    B.14.2 Subheads [Davis, L2/09-009]
    B.14.4 Proposal to correct Unihan property categories [Cook, L2/08-430]
    B.15.7.2 Additional Arabic letters needed for Arwi Script [Buhari, L2/08-429]
    B.15.9.1 Proposal to publish kHanyuPinyin data in Unihan [Cook, L2/09-030]
    B.15.20 Manichaean [Everson, Durkin-Meisterernst, L2/08-271R2]
    B.15.21 Sharada [Pandey, L2/09-074]

WG2 Compatibility Ideographs (B.1.7)

[118-A91] Action Item for Eric Muller: Produce a draft registration proposal for an IVD collection for existing compatibility CJK characters.



UTC Attendance

Person Representing E-mail Address
Deborah Anderson UC Berkeley dwanders@sonic.net
Peter Constable Microsoft petercon@microsoft.com
Craig Cummings Yahoo! crc@yahoo-inc.com
Mark Davis Google mark.davis@google.com
Peter Edberg Apple pedberg@apple.com
Mike Ksar WG2 mikeksar@10646.com
Chris Little LSA chrislit@berkeley.edu
Rick McGowan Unicode rick@unicode.org
Kat Momoi Google katmomoi@gmail.com
Lisa Moore IBM lisam@us.ibm.com
Eric Muller Adobe emuller@adobe.com
Roozbeh Pournader Gnome roozbeh@htpassport.com
Lorna Priest SIL lorna_priest@sil.org
Murray Sargent Microsoft murrays@microsoft.com
Markus Scherer Google markus.icu@gmail.com
Michel Suignard Unicode michel@suignard.com
Ienup Sung Sun ienup.sung@sun.com
Tex Texin NetApp textexin@xencraft.com
Ken Whistler Sybase kenw@sybase.com
     
By Phone
Michael Everson Evertype everson@evertype.com
Wallace Hooper Indiana Univ  
Stacy Kowalczyk Indiana Univ  
William Newman Indiana Univ  
John Walsh Indiana Univ  

Members Represented

Member February 2 February 3 February 4 February 5 February 6
Full
1. Adobe Systems, Inc. yes yes yes yes yes
2. Apple, Inc. yes (proxy)
yes yes yes yes
3. Denic e. G. no no no no no
4. Google, Inc. yes yes yes yes yes
5. IBM Corporation yes yes yes yes yes
6. Microsoft Corporation yes yes yes yes yes
7. NetApp yes yes yes yes (proxy)
yes
8. Oracle Corporation no no no no no
9. SAP AG no no no no no
10. Sun Microsystems, Inc. yes yes yes yes yes
11. Sybase, Inc. yes yes yes yes yes
12. Yahoo! yes  no yes yes yes
Institutional
1. India, MIT no no no no no
2. W. Bengal SNLTR no no no no no
3. Tamil Nadu, Gov't no no no no no
4. UC Berkeley yes yes yes yes yes
Supporting
1. Monotype Imaging Corp. no no no no no