UTC 129 & INCITS Subgroup L2 226 Joint Meeting
Cupertino, CA — October 31 to November 4, 2011
Hosted by Apple

Meeting Logistical Information
Last updated: November 4, 2011

UTC Plenary meeting times:

    Monday, October 31        10:30 am to 5:30 pm  
    Tuesday, November 1       9:30 am to 5:30 pm
    Wednesday, November 2  10:30 am to 5:30 pm
    Thursday, November 3      9:30 am to 5:30 pm
    Friday, November 4          9:30 am to 3:00 pm

L2 Plenary meeting time:
    Friday, November 4          3:00 pm to 5:00 pm

Unicode Full Members meeting time:
    Wednesday, November 2  9:30 am to 10:30 am

Call-in Information:
    Toll-Free (US & Canada): 866-500-6738
    Toll: 203-480-8000
    Participant Pass code: 741167

Scheduled activities:

Agenda Item


Day and Time (PDT)

Call-in Information
B.11.2 PRI#185 UBA
Mark Davis, Aharon Lanin
Monday, 1 pm
see above
D.2 Assamese
Anderson, et.al.
Tuesday, 9:30 am
see above
Patrick Jones
Tuesday, 10:30 am
see above
B.12.1 UTS #37, B.15.1 IVD
Ken Lunde
Wednesay, 10:30 am
see above
B.18 Emoji variation sequences
Peter Edberg
Wednesday, 1 pm
see above
B.11.2 PRI#185 UBA
Mark Davis, Martin Dürst Wednesday, 3 pm
see above
B.11.2 PRI#185 UBA
Mark Davis
Thursday, 9:30 am
see above
B.11.20 PRI#207 Vertical Text Layout
Eric Muller
Thursday, 11 am
see above
C.14, 15 Mende, Albanian Caucasian
Michael Everson
Thursday, 2 pm
see above
B.15.1 IVD Ken Lunde Thursday, 3 pm see above
D.3, 4, 5, 9
Anshuman Pandey
Friday, 9:30 am
see above

Ad  Hoc Meetings:

Ad Hoc Subject Person Day and Time (PST) Location Call-in Information
B. 11.14 Block Short Names
Thursday, lunch

B.11.20 PRI 207
Friday, lunch

Related meetings:



Day and Time (PST)

Wednesday, 8 am
Meeting room

TC Procedures posted at: http://www.unicode.org/consortium/tc-procedures.html

A. Administrative Issues

A.1 UTC membership roll call
  A.1.1 Call for proxies
  A.1.2 Roll call

A.2 Declaration of joint meeting

A.3 Registration of new documents

A.4 Approval of joint meeting agenda [L2/11-352]
  Latest version of this document

A.5 Minutes and action items
  A.5.1 Review of minutes
    A.5.1.1 Joint Meeting UTC 128/L2/225 [L2/11-261R]
  A.5.2  Action Items
    A.5.2.1 Review of open action items [L2/SD2]
    A.5.2.2 Recently closed action items [L2/11-380]

  Minutes publicly posted at http://www.unicode.org/unicode/consortium/utc-minutes.html

A.6 Calendar review
  UTC 130/L2 227 February 6-10, 2012, Sunnyvale, host Yahoo! (to be confirmed)
  UTC 131/L2 228 May 7-11, 2012, San Jose, host Adobe
  UTC 132/L2 229 July 30 - August 3, 2012, host Microsoft
  UTC 133/L2 230 November 5-9, 2012, Cupertino, host Apple (to be confirmed), Annual Members Mtg

  Calendar posted at http://www.unicode.org/unicode/timesens/calendar.html

A.7 Letter ballot review
  A.7.1 UTC Letter Ballot on Approval of 10646 PDAM 1 Ballot Comments [Moore, L2/11-345]

A.8 Schedule ad hoc meetings

A.9 Membership update
  A.9.1 Covered in Members Meeting

B. Liaison Reports and Technical Topics

B.1  JTC1/SC2/WG2
  B.1.1 Meeting reports
    B.1.1.1 Convenor's report [Ksar]
    B.1.1.2 Liaison reports
      B. Unicode liaison report to WG2
      B. Unicode liaison report from WG2 [Constable]
      B. SC2 liaison report

      B. SEI liaison report to WG2 [Anderson]
    B.1.1.3 IR's meeting report [Anderson]
    B.1.1.4 Consent docket
  B.1.3 WG2 minutes, resolutions, reports
    B.1.3.1 Resolutions of WG 2 meeting 58 (WG2 N4104) [WG2, L2/11-239]
  B.1.4 Amendments/Ballots
    B.1.4.1 ISO/IEC 10646/PDAM 1.2
      B. ISO/IEC 10646/PDAM 1.2, Information Technology -- Universal Coded Character Set (UCS) -- Amendment 1: Linear A, Palmyrene, Manichean, Khojki, Khudawadi, Bassa Vah, Duployan, and other characters [SC2/Suignard, L2/11-316]
      B. Ballot comments [Anderson, L2/11-328]
    B.1.4.2 10646 third edition, Amendment 2
      B. Draft repertoire for PDAM2 of ISO/IEC 10646:2012 3rd ed [Suignard, L2/11-347]
  B.1.5 Review pipeline characters to ensure all new characters are in ballot comments or a separate document [Whistler]
  B.1.6 Review of document requesting new additions [Anderson, L2/11-330]
  B.1.7 WG2 Principles and Procedures and Proposal Summary [Umamaheswaran]

B.2 SC2/SC22/SC34/SC35/SC36/TC37/SC29/TC12
  B.2.1 Liaison report
  B.2.2 JTC/SC documents
    B.2.2.1 9995-7
    B.2.2.2 TC37
    B.2.2.3 SC35
      B. Results of voting on NP Specification methods for cultural conventions (SC35-N1661) [SC35, L2/11-331]
      B. Response to the NP ballot on Specification methods for cultural conventions  (SC35-N1685) [SC35/Simonsen, L2/11-332]
      B. WD 30112.3 Specification methods for cultural conventions (SC35-N1686) [SC35, L2/11-333]
        B. Ballot comments [Muller, L2/11-437]
      B. Report of voting on FDIS 15897 (SC35-N1701) [SC35, L2/11-335]
      B. Resolutions adopted during the 2011 Warsaw meeting  (SC35-N1720) [SC35, L2/11-336]
      B. PDTR 20007 Information technology - Cultural and Linguistic Interoperability - Definition and relationship between symbols, icons, animated icons, pictograms, characters and glyphs [WG5, L2/11-424]
        B. Ballot comments [Muller, L2/11-436]
    B.2.2.4 SC2
      B. SC2 plenary
      B. 14651
        B. Ballot comments [Anderson, L2/11-329]
      B. 10646

  B.3.1 Liaison report [Jenkins]
  B.3.2 US/Unicode Activity Report for IRG 37 [Lunde, et.al., L2/11-349]

  B.4.1 Liaison report [Ksar]

  B.5.1 Liaison report [McGowan]
  B.5.2 IDNA

B.6 W3C
  B.6.1 Liaison report [Davis]
  B.6.2 MathML liaison report [Sargent]  

B.7 UC Berkeley Department of Linguistics - Script Encoding Initiative
  B.7.1 Liaison report [Anderson, L2/11-411]

  B.8.1 Liaison report

B.9 Unicode Locales Project (CLDR)
  B.9.1 Liaison report [Davis, Edberg]

B.10 Unicode Localization Interoperability (ULI)
  B.10.1 Liaison report

B.11 Public Review Issues
  B.11.1 Issue 182: Proposed Update UTS #18, Unicode Regular Expressions
    B.11.1.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback
      B.11.1.2 Document for review [Davis, L2/11-161]
  B.11.2 Issue 185: Revision of UBA for improved display of URL/IRIs
    B.11.2.1 Feedback
      B. Moderated feedback [Davis]
      B. Feedback on PRI 185: Extension of UBA for improved display of URL/IRIs [Rosenne, L2/11-299]
      B. BIDI handling of Structured Text [Mahlin, Allouche, L2/11-312R]
      B. PRI #185 Revision of UBA for improved display of URL/IRIs [Duerst, L2/11-311]
      B. Accumulated Feedback on PRI #185 (separate files) [Davis, L2/11-425]
    B.11.2.2 Document for review [Davis, L2/11-382]
  B.11.3 Issue 188: Proposed Update UAX #9, Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm
    B.11.3.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback
      B. On the Stability and proposed Extensions for the Unicode Bidi Algorithm [Freytag, L2/11-418]
    B.11.3.2 Document for review [Davis, L2/11-291]
  B.11.4 Issue 189: Proposed Update UAX #11, East Asian Width
    B.11.4.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback
    B.11.4.2 Document for review [L2/11-384]
  B.11.5 Issue 190: Proposed Update UAX #14, Unicode Line Breaking Algorithm
    B.11.5.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/11-381]
    B.11.5.2 Document for review [Henninger, L2/11-385]
  B.11.6 Issue 191: Proposed Update UAX #15, Unicode Normalization Forms
    B.11.6.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/11-381]
    B.11.6.2 Document for review [Davis, Whistler, L2/11-386]
  B.11.7 Issue 192: Proposed Update UAX #24, Unicode Script Property
    B.11.7.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback
    B.11.7.2 Document for review [Davis, Whistler, L2/11-387]
  B.11.8 Issue 193: Proposed Update UAX #29, Unicode Text Segmentation
    B.11.8.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/11-381]    
      B. Reaction to proposed change for Grapheme_Cluster_Break for version 6.1.0 [Karlsson, L2/11-339]
    B.11.8.2 Document for review [Davis, L2/11-388]
  B.11.9 Issue 194: Proposed Update UAX #31, Unicode Identifier and Pattern Syntax
    B.11.9.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/11-381]
    B.11.9.2 Document for review [Davis, L2/11-389]
  B.11.10 Issue 195: Proposed Update UAX #34, Unicode Named Character Sequences
    B.11.10.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/11-381]
    B.11.10.2 Document for review [Whistler, L2/11-405]
  B.11.11 Issue 196: Proposed Update UAX #38, Unicode Han Database (Unihan)
    B.11.11.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/11-381]
    B.11.11.2 Document for review [Jenkins, Cook, L2/11-390]
  B.11.12 Issue 197: Proposed Update UAX #41, Common References for Unicode Standard Annexes
    B.11.12.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback
    B.11.12.2 Document for review [Danish, , L2/11-391]
  B.11.13 Issue 198: Proposed Update UAX #42, Unicode Character Database in XML
    B.11.13.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback
    B.11.13.2 Document for review [Muller, L2/11-392]
  B.11.14 Issue 199: Proposed Update UAX #44, Unicode Character Database
    B.11.14.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/11-381]
      B. Short block names [Davis, L2/11-433]
    B.11.14.2 Document for review [Davis, Whistler, L2/11-393]
  B.11.15 Issue 202: Extensions to NameAliases.txt for Unicode 6.1.0
    B.11.15.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/11-381]
      B. Perl names aliases still missing [Pournader, L2/11-428R]
    B.11.15.2 Document for review [L2/11-394]
  B.11.16 Issue 203: Proposed Update UTS #10, Unicode Collation Algorithm
    B.11.16.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/11-381]
    B.11.16.2 Document for review [Davis, Whistler, L2/11-395]
  B.11.17 Issue 204: Proposed Update UTS #46, Unicode IDNA Compatibility Processing
    B.11.17.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback
      B. Action Item 123-A83a
      B. ICANN TLD case studies
    B.11.17.2 Document for review [Davis, Suignard, L2/11-396]
  B.11.18 Issue 205: Proposed addition of AL MARK and LEVEL DIRECTION MARK
    B.11.18.1 Feedback
      B. Moderated feedback [Edberg, L2/11-398]
      B. Preliminary proposal for UBA V.2 [Karlsson, L2/11-377]
    B.11.18.2 Document for review [Edberg, L2/11-397]
  B.11.19 Issue 206: Unicode 6.1 Beta Review
    B.11.19.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/11-381]
      B. Unicode 6.1 Beta feedback [Vallois, L2/11-383]
      B. Feedback on Unicode Version 6.1 Beta [Scherer, L2/11-427]
    B.11.19.2 Document for review [Editorial Committee, L2/11-399]
  B.11.20 Issue 207: Proposed Draft UTR #50, Unicode Properties for Vertical Text Layout
    B.11.20.1 Feedback
      B. Moderated feedback [Muller, L2/11-423]
      B. Revising the Proposed Draft UTR #50 Unicode Properties for Vertical Text Layout [Iancu, Robinson, L2/11-431]
    B.11.20.2 Document for review [Muller, L2/11-400]
  B.11.21 Other feedback
    B.11.21.1 General feedback [L2/11-381]

B.12 Unicode Technical Reports, Standards, and Standard Annexes
  B.12.1 UTS #37, Unicode Ideographic Variation Database
    B.12.1.1 Minor proposed change [Lunde, L2/11-404]
  B.12.2 UTS #39, Unicode Security Mechanisms
  B.12.3 Status of UTR #47
  B.12.4 Proposed Update UTR #25, Unicode Support for Mathematics [Sargent, L2/11-434]

B.13 Editorial Committee

  B.13.1 Errata
  B.13.2 Editorial Committee report [Whistler]
  B.13.3 Approve Unicode 6.1 for release

B.14 Properties
  B.14.1 Parsing the UCD [Davis, L2/11-358]
  B.14.2 Uniform Long Property (Value) Names [Davis, L2/11-378]
  B.14.3 Proposal to assign the Extender property to U+180A MONGOLIAN NIRUGU [Iancu, L2/11-401]
  B.14.4 Proposal to change the General_Category of Hangul tone marks U+302E and U+302F [Iancu, L2/11-402]
  B.14.5 UCD in XML Property Issues [Davis, L2/11-435]
  B.14.6 Script Extensions as a Unicode Property [Davis, L2/11-406]

B.15 CJK
  B.15.1 Stabilizing CJK Compatibility Ideographs through the use of the IVD [Lunde, L2/11-361R]

  B.16.1 Internationalized Domain Names Variant Issues Project Arabic Case Study Team Issues Report [ICANN, L2/11-367]
  B.16.2 Report on Chinese Variants in Internationalized Top-Level Domains [ICANN, L2/11-368]
  B.16.3 IDN Variant TLDs - Cyrillic Script Issues [ICANN, L2/11-369]
  B.16.4 Devanāgarī Vip Team: Variant Issues Report [ICANN, L2/11-370]
  B.16.5 Study of the Issues Present in the Registration of IDN TLDs in Greek Characters [ICANN, L2/11-371]
  B.16.6 Considerations in the use of the Latin script in variant internationalized top-level domains [ICANN, L2/11-372]
  B.16.7 ICANN IDN TLD Variant Issues [Sullivan, L2/11-426]

C. Scripts and Symbols

C.1 WG2-related
  C.1.1 Review of script documents requested by WG2
Old Hungarian
  C.2.1 Letter regarding Old Hungarian [Hosszú, L2/11-337]
  C.2.2 Feedback on current Old Hungarian script in Unicode/10646 [Umamahesaran, L2/11-342]
C.3 Latin
  C.3.1 Proposal to encode four historic Latin letters for Sakha (Yakut) [Yevlampiev, et.al., L2/11-340]
  C.3.2 Proposal to encode Latin letters used in the Former Soviet Union [Pentzlin, et.al., L2/11-360]
  C.3.3 Comments on L2/11-360 and L2/11- 340 [Salminen, Anderson, L2/11-422]
  C.3.4 Request to add the characters proposed in WG2 N4068 to PDAM 1.3 [German NB, L2/11-416]
C.4 Wingdings and Webdings
Updated proposal to add wingdings and webdings symbols [Suignard, L2/11-344]
Proposal for encoding the Woleai script in the SMP (WG2 N4146) [SEI/Everson, L2/11-362]
C.6 Revised code chart for Anatolian Hieroglyphs (WG2 N4147) [SEI/Everson, L2/11-363]
C.7 Proposal to encode a Low One Dot Leader in the UCS [Pentzlin, Schrage, L2/11-364]
C.8 Manat symbol
  C.8.1 Additional evidence for the Azerbaijan Manat symbol [Pentzlin, L2/11-366]
  C.8.2 Revised Proposal to encode Azerbaijani manat sign [Yevstifeyev, L2/11-231R]
  C.8.3 Letter from Central Bank of Azerbaijan Regarding Manat Sign [Pentzlin, L2/11-420]
C.9 Proposal to encode Linguistic Doubt Marks [Schrage, Pentzlin, L2/11-373]
  C.9.1 Feedback [Cowan, L2/11-381]
C.10 Proposal to encode two Greek modifier letters for Critical Apparatuses [Schrage, Pentzlin, L2/11-374]
C.11 Proposal to encode combining decimal digits above [Pentzlin, L2/11-375]
C.12 Proposal to Encode Medieval East-Slavic Musical Notation in Unicode [Shardt, et. al., L2/11-376]
C.13 Revised Preliminary Proposal to Encode the Mongolian Square Script [Pandey, L2/11-379]
C.14 Revised proposal for encoding the Mende script (WG2 N4133R) [SEI/Everson, L2/11-301R]
C.15  Proposal for encoding the Caucasian Albanian script [SEI/Everson, L2/11-296R]
C.16 Proposal to encode an additional sans-serif heavy double quote symbol [German NB, L2/11-417]
C.17 Proposal to encode historic currency signs of Russia (revised) [Kalashnov, et. al., L2/11-273R]
C.18 Emoji
  C.18.1 Emoji variation sequences [Edberg, et. al., L2/11-414]
  C.18.2 Unified emoji reference [Edberg, L2/11-415]
  C.18.3 Further emoji distinctions and issues [Edberg, et. al., L2/11-419]
  C.18.4 Preliminary proposal to disunify Emoji symbols for the western zodiac [Pentzlin, L2/11-421]
  C.18.5 Emoji variation sequences list [Edberg, L2/11-429]
C.19 Proposal for the addition of six Latin characters (WG2 N4030R)  [Everson, L2/11-134]

D. South Asian 

D.1 South Asian subcommittee report [Anderson, et.al., L2/11-403]
D.2 Assamese
Letters regarding Assamese [Haque, Phukan, L2/11-338]
  D.2.2 Assamese Writing System in the Unicode [Friends of Assam, L2/11-350]
  D.2.3 Article in Assamese [Barua, L2/11-407]
D.3 Proposal to encode the Modi script (WG2 N4034) [Pandey, L2/11-212R2]
Introducing 'Khatt-i Baburi' or the 'Script of Babur' [Pandey, L2/11-341]
Introducing a script for writing Dhimal [Pandey, L2/11-348]
D.6 Om characters
Proposal to encode 0B50 ORIYA OM [Sharma, L2/11-258]
    D.6.1.1 Feedback on Oriya OM [Mishra, L2/11-343]
D.7 Grantha
E-mail regarding Grantha sub-base vocalic L/LL and Vedic Tone Asterisk Above [Constable, L2/11-351]
D.8 Proposal to encode U+1107F BRAHMI NUMBER JOINER [Glass, Sharma, L2/11-357]
  D.8.1 Feedback [Cowan, L2/11-381]
D.9 Bengali
  D.9.1 Proposal to Encode the Sign Anji for Bengali [Pandey, L2/11-359]
  D.9.2 Request to Add Annotations for Bengali ISSHAR to the Names List [Pandey, L2/11-365]
  D.9.3 Revisions and Additional Annotations to the Names List for Bengali [Pandey, L2/11-413]
D.10 Telugu
  D.10.1 Proposal on Handling Reph in Gurmukhi and Telugu Scripts [Venna, L2/06-334]
  D.10.2 On the Telugu nakaara-pollu [Sharma, L2/11-409]
D.11 Feedback from India, MIT [Lata, L2/11-408]
D.12 Proposal to Encode the Soyombo Script [Pandey, L2/11-412]

E. Miscellaneous


F. Close of Joint Meeting

F.1 Review of UTC motions (recommendations to L2)

F.2 UTC position on current ballots [Muller]

F.3 Closing of joint meeting