L2/17-016

Draft Minutes of UTC Meeting 150
Sunnyvale, CA -- January 23-26, 2017
Hosted by Apple

UTC #150 Agenda
Revision date: February 08, 2017


Monday January 23, 2017

Meeting opened at 10:40 a.m.

6.5 members represented: Adobe, Apple, IBM, UCB, EmojiXpress, Google, Microsoft

A.5.2.1 Review of open action items [L2/SD2]

Scheduling UTC #155: Jan 22-25, 2018; host Google or VMWare. With backup date: Feb 5-8.

B.14.5 Indic positional category for Javanese cakra [Lindenberg, L2/17-038]

[150-C1] Consensus: Change the Indic Positional Category of U+A9BF JAVANESE CONSONANT SIGN CAKRA from "Right" to "Bottom", for Unicode 10.0.

[150-A1] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Change the Indic Positional Category of U+A9BF JAVANESE CONSONANT SIGN CAKRA from "Right" to "Bottom", for Unicode 10.0.

B.11.1 Issue 329: Proposed Update UAX #44, Unicode Character Database
B.11.1.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-018
]
B.11.1.2 Document for review [Whistler, Iancu, L2/17-026
]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.3 Issue 333: Proposed Update UAX #31, Unicode Identifier and Pattern Syntax
B.11.3.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-018
]
B.11.3.2 Document for review [Davis, L2/16-349
]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Added new agenda item: D.7 Indic Model, Liang Hai's spreadsheet

B.11.4 Issue 334: Proposed Update UTS #39, Unicode Security Mechanisms
B.11.41.1 General feedback [L2/17-018
]
B.11.4.2 Document for review [Davis, L2/16-350
]

[150-A2] Action Item for Mark Davis: Make the change requested by David Corbett for U+025F LATIN SMALL LETTER DOTLESS J WITH STROKE, in feedback dated November 27, 2016. See PRI #334 feedback.

[150-A3] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to David Corbett on his feedback for PRI #334, November 22, 2016. that the change requested in feedback on U+025F LATIN SMALL LETTER DOTLESS J WITH STROKE, will be done. See PRI #334 feedback.

C.9.1 Notes on the HENTAIGANA「江」and the ARCHAIC HIRAGANA YE [Japan NB, Orita, L2/17-014]

[150-C2] Consensus: Create a formal name alias for U+1B001 HENTAIGANA LETTER E-1 for 10.0.

[150-A4] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Laurențiu Iancu: Add the formal name alias HENTAIGANA LETTER E-1 for U+1B001 HIRAGANA LETTER ARCHAIC YE to NameAliases.txt for Unicode 10.0.

E.4 Feedback on Extra Aspect Symbols for Astrology [Suignard, L2/17-020R]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.13 Issue 343: Proposed Update UTR #51, Unicode Emoji (Version 5)
B.11.13.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-018
]
B.11.13.2 Document for review [Davis, Edberg, L2/17-031
]

[150-A5] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Dec 2016 and Jan 2017 feedback on PRI #343 from Doug Ewell and David Corbett.

[150-A6] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Christoph Päper's feedback of Jan 4, 2017 on PRI #343.

On Phone: Mike LaJoie (Microsoft), Jeremy Burge (Emoji One), Judy Safran-Aasen (Microsoft), Roozbeh Pournader (Google).

E.1.5.6 Red packet emoji [Lee, et al, L2/17-023]

[150-C3] Consensus: Add Red Envelope, Moon Cake, and Firecracker to the emoji candidates list, to consider for a future version.

[150-A7] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Request minor updates of proposals, and to fix typos.

[150-A8] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Update the emoji status sheet to make three new emoji candidates (Red Envelope, Moon Cake, and Firecracker), and respond to submitters.

[150-A9] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg: Update the emoji candidate chart to include Red Envelope, Moon Cake, and Firecracker.

E.1.4 Summary of options for redhead emoji [ESC/Burge, L2/17-011]

[150-A10] Action Item for Jeremy Burge, Emoji Subcommittee: Revise L2/17-011 focusing on options 1 and 4, and looking at other possible hair colors including white and bald.

B.11.7 Issue 337: Proposed Update UTS #37, Unicode Ideographic Variation Database
B.11.7.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-018
]
B.11.7.2 Document for review [Lunde, L2/17-028]

[150-C4] Consensus: Approve UTS #37 Version 4 for publication, based on L2/17-028.

[150-A11] Action Item for Ken Lunde, Editorial Committee: Prepare UTS #37 for publication.

[150-A12] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post/publish the final UTS #37.

[150-A13] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #337. The document will be updated and published.

B.11.10 Issue 340: Proposed Update UAX #9, Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm
B.11.10.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-018
]
B.11.10.2 Document for review [Davis, et al, L2/17-029
]

[150-A14] Action Item for Laurențiu Iancu: Investigate inconsistencies in properties reported by David Corbett in feedback on UAX #9, PRI #340, and prepare a recommendation.

C.10.1 Response to UTC on Mtavruli [Razmadze, L2/17-045]

[150-A15] Action Item for Laurențiu Iancu: Follow up with Microsoft on the letter from Georgia L2/17-045.

[150-A16] Action Item for Kamal Mansour: Review letter from Georgia L2/17-045.

C.4 Proposal to encode the Hniakeng Puachue Hmong script (revised; WG2 N4780R) [SEI/Everson, L2/17-002]

Discussion.

[150-A17] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Put a L2/17-002R2 (revision) onto the agenda for May 2017 UTC.

E.2 Proposal to encode symbols for chess notation (WG2 N4783) [Everson, L2/17-033]

Meeting adjourned for the day at 5:37pm.


Tuesday January 24, 2017

6.5 members represented: Apple, Adobe, Google, IBM, MS, UCB, EmojiXpress

C.12 Proposal to add HEBREW YOD TRIANGLE [Shoulson, L2/16-305]

[150-C5] Consensus: Accept U+05EF HEBREW YOD TRIANGLE for encoding in a future version of the standard, without a compatibility decomposition.

[150-A18] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+05EF HEBREW YOD TRIANGLE.

[150-A19] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+05EF HEBREW YOD TRIANGLE to document requesting future additions.

[150-A20] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Work with Mark Shoulsen to update the proposal L2/16-305 and provide a font.

B.11.11 Issue 341: Proposed Update UAX #29, Unicode Text Segmentation
B.11.11.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-018
]
B.11.11.2 Document for review [Davis, Iancu, L2/16-360]

[150-A21] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to David Corbett's feedback on PRI #341.

[150-A22] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to feedback on PRI #341 from Manish Goregaokar.

[150-A23] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Karl Williamson's feedback on PRI 341.

[150-C6] Consensus: Add to the UCD for Unicode 10.0, a normative binary property "Regional Indicator", short name "RI", containing characters U+1F1E6..U+1F1FF.

[150-A24] Action Item for Mark Davis, Laurențiu Iancu: Add Regional Indicator property to PropList.txt.

[150-A25] Action Item for Mark Davis, Laurențiu Iancu: Add Regional Indicator property to PropertyAliases.txt

[150-A26] Action Item for Laurențiu Iancu, Editorial Committee: Update UAX #29 text to restate the regional indicator to use the new property.

[150-A27] Action Item for Mark Davis: Update GraphemeClusterBreak.txt and WordBreak.txt to check that their derivations are correct. (See above consensus 150-C6 for Regional Indicator property.)

[150-A28] Action Item for Andy Heninger, Editorial Committee: Update UAX #14 text to use the new Regional Indicator property. See above consensus 150-C6.

[150-A29] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg: Remove "Emoji RI" from the data for UTR #51 and adjust the text to instead use the new Regional Indicator property. See above consensus 150-C6.

[150-A30] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Laurențiu Iancu, Editorial Committee: Update UAX #44 with the new Regional Indicator property. See above consensus 150-C6.

[150-A31] Action Item for Eric Muller: Update UAX #42 with the new Regional Indicator property. See above consensus 150-C6.

[150-A32] Action Item for Andy Heninger, Editorial Committee: Update UAX #18 to account for the new Regional Indicator property. See above consensus 150-C6.

C.13 Armenian Phonetic Characters in Unicode [Baronian, L2/17-032]

[150-C7] Consensus: Accept U+058B ARMENIAN SMALL LETTER TURNED AYB and U+058C ARMENIAN SMALL LETTER YI WITH STROKE for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[150-A33] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+058B ARMENIAN SMALL LETTER TURNED AYB and U+058C ARMENIAN SMALL LETTER YI WITH STROKE.

[150-A34] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+058B ARMENIAN SMALL LETTER TURNED AYB and U+058C ARMENIAN SMALL LETTER YI WITH STROKE to document requesting future additions.

[150-A35] Action Item for Michael Everson: Provide a font to Michel Suignard for U+058B ARMENIAN SMALL LETTER TURNED AYB and U+058C ARMENIAN SMALL LETTER YI WITH STROKE.

B.12.1 UTS #46, Unicode IDNA Compatibility Processing
B.12.1.1 UTS#46 Issues [Davis, L2/17-019]

[150-A36] Action Item for Mark Davis: Verify that Marc Lehmann's issues raised in L2/17-0019 were addressed, and fix problems in IDNA_Test.txt, for Unicode 10.0. Also fix the header of IDNA_Test.txt to make it clearer how the test is to be processed. See document L2/17-019.

[150-A37] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Update the text of UTS #46 to add three additional parameters as per section A and section D of document L2/17-019.

[150-A38] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Add a review note to Proposed Update UTS #46 as to whether "CheckJoiners" should be not just binary but allow 3 states, to allow for emoji sequences in URLs.

[150-A39] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Prepare a proposed update of UTS #46 for Unicode 10.0.

[150-A40] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post the PRI on proposed update UTS #46 to close May 1, 2017.

B.12.2 UAX #50, Unicode Vertical Text Layout
B.12.2.1 Working Draft of Proposed Update UAX #50, Unicode Vertical Text Layout [Iancu, L2/16-359
]

Brief discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

D.3.2 L2/16-322 Proposal to encode the SANDHI MARK for Bengali

[150-C8] Consensus: Accept U+09FE COMBINING BENGALI SIGN AVAGRAHA with properties GC=Mn and CCC=230 for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[150-A41] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+09FE COMBINING BENGALI SIGN AVAGRAHA.

[150-A42] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+09FE COMBINING BENGALI SIGN AVAGRAHA, to document requesting future additions.

[150-A43] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Make sure there is a font available for printing U+09FE COMBINING BENGALI SIGN AVAGRAHA in the standard.

[150-A44] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Work with authors of L2/16-322 to update the proposal, and re-submit to document register.

D.3.1 Proposal to encode the SANDHI MARK for Newa [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/16-383]

[150-C9] Consensus: Accept U+1145E COMBINING NEWA SIGN AVAGRAHA with properties GC=Mn and CCC=230 for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[150-A45] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+1145E COMBINING NEWA SIGN AVAGRAHA.

[150-A46] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+1145E COMBINING NEWA SIGN AVAGRAHA to document requesting future additions.

[150-A47] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Make sure there is a font available for printing U+1145E COMBINING NEWA SIGN AVAGRAHA in the standard.

[150-A48] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Work with authors of L2/16-383 to update the proposal, and re-submit to document register.

C.2.1 Script Ad Hoc recommendations [Anderson, et al, L2/17-037]

[150-C10] Consensus: Accept the three characters:

	U+10A34 KHAROSHTHI LETTER TTTA
	U+10A35 KHAROSHTHI LETTER VHA
	U+10A48 KHAROSHTHI FRACTION ONE HALF

with properties as given in L2/17-012 for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[150-A49] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include three new Kharoshthi letters. See above consensus 150-C10.

[150-A50] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add three new Kharoshthi letters to document requesting future additions. See above consensus 150-C10.

[150-A51] Action Item for Andrew Glass: Supply an updated Kharoshthi font. See above consensus 150-C10.

[150-A52] Action Item for Andrew Glass, Editorial Committee: Supply text on the medial "ya" for the Kharoshthi block, for Unicode 10.0.

D.9.1 Request to change the glyph of 11008 BRAHMI LETTER II (revised) [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/16-321]

[150-C11] Consensus: Change the glyph of U+11008 BRAHMI LETTER II for Unicode 10.0 as documented in L2/16-321.

[150-A53] Action Item for Andrew Glass: Provide font for new glyph for U+11008 BRAHMI LETTER II. See above consensus 150-C11.

D.9.2 Request to change the glyphs of Brahmi vowel signs Vocalic R and Vocalic RR [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/16-343]

Discussion. UTC will come back to this later.

[150-A54] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Respond to proposers of L2/16-343, with information from script ad-hoc report.

B.7 UC Berkeley Department of Linguistics - Script Encoding Initiative B.7.1 Liaison report [Anderson, L2/17-039]

Brief discussion.

B.11.13 Issue 343: Proposed Update UTR #51, Unicode Emoji (Version 5)
B.11.13.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-018
]
B.11.13.2 Document for review [Davis, Edberg, L2/17-031
]

[150-A55] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg, Editorial Committee: Update UTR #51 based on discussion in the emoji ad-hoc meeting.

[150-A56] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #343.

E.1.2 Emoji Subcommittee Terminology and Process [ESC/Edberg, L2/16-337]

[150-A57] Action Item for Peter Edberg, Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Create an emoji process page based on the L2/16-337R, info from "selection.html", and feedback during the discussion.

E.1.3 System for Documenting Emoji ZWJ Sequences [ESC/Burge, L2/17-005]

[150-A58] Action Item for Peter Edberg, Mark Davis, Emoji Subcommittee, Editorial Committee: Reflect the proposal L2/17-005 into the process.html and selection.html pages, as amended in discussion.

E.1.8 Proposal to include Emoji Flags for England, Scotland and Wales (revised) [Burge, Williams, L2/16-180R]

[150-A59] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg: Add the three sequences for flags documented in L2/16-180R to emoji-sequences.txt for emoji 5.0.

E.1.6 Coded hashes of arbitrary images
E.1.6.1 Coded hashes of arbitrary images [Loomis, L2/16-105
]
E.1.6.2 Feedback on Coded Hashes of Arbitrary Images [Scherer, L2/16-379
]

[150-A60] Action Item for Steven Loomis: Consider feedback in L2/16-379 and the request for complete life-cycle and security implications.

E.4 Feedback on Extra Aspect Symbols for Astrology [Suignard, L2/17-020R2]

[150-C12] Consensus: Change the order, codepoints, and names for six astrological symbols based on L2/17-020R2:

	2BF3 RUSSIAN ASTROLOGICAL SYMBOL VIGINTILE
	2BF4 RUSSIAN ASTROLOGICAL SYMBOL NOVILE
	2BF5 RUSSIAN ASTROLOGICAL SYMBOL QUINTILE
	2BF6 RUSSIAN ASTROLOGICAL SYMBOL BINOVILE
	2BF7 RUSSIAN ASTROLOGICAL SYMBOL SENTAGON
	2BF8 RUSSIAN ASTROLOGICAL SYMBOL TREDECILE

for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[150-A61] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to change the 6 astrological symbols, based on L2/17-020R2.

E.3 Revised proposal to encode heterodox chess symbols (WG2 N4784) [Wallace, Everson, L2/17-034]

[150-A62] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Add L2/17-034 (chess) to the agenda for the May 2017 UTC meeting.

C.3.1 Layman's comments on the encoding proposal Khitan small script [Listener, L2/16-376]

[150-A63] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Provide feedback from the script ad-hoc to the author of L2/16-376.

D.9.2 Request to change the glyphs of Brahmi vowel signs Vocalic R and Vocalic RR [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/16-343]

[150-A64] Action Item for Michel Suignard: Change the glyphs of U+1103E BRAHMI VOWEL SIGN VOCALIC R and U+1103F BRAHMI VOWEL SIGN VOCALIC RR, to those given in section 3.3 of L2/16-343, for Unicode 10.0.

[150-A65] (Note: this action was an unintended duplicate.)

[150-A66] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Create a glyph erratum for the three Brahmi glyph changes agreed in this meeting.

C.8.1 Suggestions on some Al-Dani Quranic Marks proposition [Lazrek, L2/16-268]
C.8.1.1 Explanations about Al-dani Quranic Marks [Abudena, L2/17-004
]

[150-A67] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Work with Abudena to create a proposal for encoding additional Arabic characters, based on comments on L2/17-037. See also L2/17-004. Also create a separate document that responds to comments and questions.

C.11 Preliminary proposal to encode the Wancho script (WG2 N4785) [SEI/Everson, L2/17-042]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.3.2 Proposal to modify the "IRG Working Set" charts metadata [Lunde, L2/17-021]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.3.3 IRG N2179 IRG Working Set 2015 Version 3.0 UTC Comments [UTC/Lunde, L2/17-006]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.4.1 New Japanese Era

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.9.1.2 Proposal to add an ideograph to UAX #45 (revised) [Chan, L2/16-385R]

[150-A68] Action Item for John Jenkins: Add the character described in L2/16-385R, page 5 to the data for UAX #45 version 10.0.

B.11.14 Issue 344: New Unicode Character Property EquivalentUnifiedIdeograph
B.11.14.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-018
]
B.11.14.2 Document for review (see PRI 344)

[150-A69] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Modify the draft data for EquivalentUnifiedIdeograph and send to Rick McGowan for posting.

[150-A70] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post the new draft data files into the PRI #344, and update the PRI page as needed.

B.11.9 Issue 339: Proposed Update UAX #45, U-Source Ideographs
B.11.9.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-018
]
B.11.9.1.2 Proposal to add an ideograph to UAX #45 (revised) [Chan, L2/16-385R
]
B.11.9.2 Document for review [Jenkins, L2/17-044]

[150-A71] Action Item for John Jenkins: Update UAX #45 based on Ken Lunde's feedback on PRI #339.

[150-A72] Action Item for John Jenkins: Update the text of UAX #45 based on feedback received in discussion during the meeting.

B.11.8 Issue 338: Proposed Update UAX #38, Unicode Han Database
B.11.8.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-018
]
B.11.8.2 Document for review [Jenkins, et al, L2/17-043]

[150-A73] Action Item for John Jenkins, Editorial Committee: Update kIRG_HSource regex based on feedback from Ken Lunde, for Unicode 10.0.

B.3.1 IRG Liaison report [Lunde]

The UTC discussed IRG-related matters.

D.5 Changes to Gurmukhi 10 [Singh, L2/16-294]
D.5.1 Feedback on L2/16-294 on Gurmukhi [Sharma, L2/16-302
]
D.5.2 Feedback on L2/16-294 (Gurmukhi Sign Yakash) [Singh, L2/16-380
]
D.5.3 Feedback on L2/16-380 (Gurmukhi Sign Yakash) [Singh, L2/16-384
]

[150-C13] Consensus: Retain the current glyph in the code charts for Yakash, U+0A75, rescinding the decision documented under D.4.1 in the UTC #149 minutes.

[150-A74] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add a nameslist annotation to to U+0A75 for Unicode 10.0.

[150-A75] Action Item for Deborah Anderson, Editorial Committee: Prepare text for updating Gurmukhi block introduction. See document L2/17-037.

Meeting adjourned for the day at 5:25 p.m.


Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Meeting opened at 9:30.

5.5 members represented: Apple, Adobe, IBM, MS, UCB, EmojiXpress

D.10 Revised proposal to encode Hanifi Rohingya [Pandey, L2/16-311R]

[150-C14] Consensus: Accept 50 Hanifi Rohingya characters at U+10D00..U+10D39 in block "Hanifi Rohingya" U+10D00..U+10D3F for encoding in a future version of the standard, with properties as given in L2/16-311R.

[150-A76] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include Hanifi Rohingya. See document L2/16-311R.

[150-A77] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add Hanifi Rohingya to document requesting future additions. See document L2/16-311R.

[150-A78] Action Item for Anshuman Pandey: Send Hanifi Rohingya font to Michel Suignard.

[150-A79] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Review Hanifi Rohingya script for Arabic Shaping. See document L2/16-311R. D.11 Proposal to encode the Old Sogdian script in Unicode [Pandey, L2/16-312R]

[150-C15] Consensus: Accept 40 Old Sogdian characters at U+10F00..U+10F27 in block "Old Sogdian" at U+10F00..U+10F2F for encoding in a future version of the standard, with properties as given in L2/16-312R.

[150-A80] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include Old Sogdian. See document L2/16-312R.

[150-A81] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add Old Sogdian to document requesting future additions. See document L2/16-312R.

[150-A82] Action Item for Anshuman Pandey: Send Old Sogdian font to Michel Suignard.

Rollcall adjustment: Google arrived.

6.5 members represented: Apple, Adobe, IBM, MS, UCB, EmojiXpress

D.12 Revised proposal to encode the Sogdian script in Unicode [Pandey, L2/16-371R]

[150-C16] Consensus: Accept 42 Sogdian characters at U+10F30..U+10F59 in block "Sogdian" at U+10F30..U+10F6F for encoding in a future version of the standard, with properties as given in L2/16-371R2

[150-A83] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include Sogdian. See document L2/16-371R2.

[150-A84] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add Sogdian to document requesting future additions. See document L2/16-371R2.

[150-A85] Action Item for Anshuman Pandey: Send Sogdian font to Michel Suignard.

[150-A86] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Review Sogdian script for Arabic Shaping. See document L2/16-371R2.

B.11.5 Issue 335: Proposed Update UAX #14, Unicode Line Breaking Algorithm
B.11.5.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-018
]
B.11.5.2 Document for review [Henninger, L2/16-351
]

[150-A87] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Extend the PRI closing dates on Unicode 10.0 UAXes to May 1, 2017.

B.1.3.1.1 Additional repertoire for ISO/IEC 10646:2017 (5th ed.) Amendment 1.2 (WG2 N4778) [Suignard, L2/16-381]

[150-C17] Consensus: Change the codepoints of ERIS FORM 1, ERIS FORM 2, and SEDNA as follows: U+2BBA..U+2BBC to U+2BF0..U+2FF2

[150-A88] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to change ERIS FORM 1, ERIS FORM 2, and SEDNA. See above consensus 150-C17.

[150-C18] Consensus: Make four codepoint changes in kana small letters (currently under ballot for the 5th edition) for a future version of the standard, 1B128 moves to 1B12B, 1B129 moves to 1B128, 1B12A moves to 1B129, 1B12B moves to 1B12A.

[150-C19] Consensus: Change the name of U+1F92A (under ballot) to GRINNING FACE WITH ONE LARGE AND ONE SMALL EYE.

[150-A89] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to change U+1F92A to GRINNING FACE WITH ONE LARGE AND ONE SMALL EYE.

[150-C20] Consensus: Accept 484 Khitan Small Script characters at U+18B00..U+18CFF with block "Khitan Small Script" U+18B00..U+18CFF, with names and gyphs as documented in L2/16-381. With properties as in L2/16-271, and the addition of two format controls at U+18CFE and U+18CFF.

[150-A90] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the the pipeline for Khitan Small Script.

Short break.

B.10.1 17-051 Liaison report from U:LI-TC.

Discussion...

Lunch 12:30 - 1:30

[150-A91] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to feedback from John Cowan re L2/17-011 on Jan 17, 2017.

[150-A92] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Review public feedback from Severin Barmeier in L2/17-018, for Unicode 11.0.

[150-A93] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to feedback from Severin Barmeier in L2/17-018.

[150-A94] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Review feedback from Eric Muller "Text for Devanagari RA + vocalic liquids" to see if any updates need to be made in the Devanagari section of the core spec.

[150-A95] Action Item for Markus Scherer: Review the feedback from Karl Williamson in L2/17-018 on best practices for UTF-8 overlongs, and make a recommendation to UTC.

[150-A96] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Karl Williamson re his feedback in L2/17-018 on best practices for UTF-8 overlongs.

D.6 Request to change glyphs of Kannada letters Vocalic L and Vocalic LL and their vowel signs [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-041]

Discussion. This will be taken up again later in the meeting.

B.15.1 Ad-Hoc Reports

Discussion of Emoji ad-hoc report and related agenda items.

E.1.9 Discuss conformance to segmentation using alternate versions of emoji
B.14.3 Handling interaction between UCD and emoji properties [Davis, L2/16-315R
]

[150-A97] Action Item for Mark Davis, Laurențiu Iancu, Editorial Committee: Modify the conformance clause of UAX #29 to replace the current note about customizing with CLDR by an expansion that deals with the issues of customizing with newer versions of CLDR and emoji.

[150-A98] Action Item for Andy Henninger, Mark Davis, Laurențiu Iancu, Editorial Committee: Modify the conformance clause of UAX #14 to replace the current note about customizing with CLDR by an expansion that deals with the issues of customizing with newer versions of CLDR and emoji.

[150-A99] Action Item for Peter Edberg, Mark Davis: Add U+1F931 BREASTFEEDING and U+1F9D5 PERSON WITH HEAD SCARF to section 2.1 of UTR #51 as having explicit gender appearance; and add guidance about the display of skin for the baby in U+1F931 BREASTFEEDING.

[150-A100] Action Item for Peter Edberg, Mark Davis: Add U+2642 MALE SIGN and U+2640 FEMALE SIGN to emoji data files, and remove U+263F MERCURY from the emoji data files.

[150-C21] Consensus: Freeze the Emoji 5.0 data files after incorporating the updates discussed during this meeting.

[150-C22] Consensus: Issue a PRI for Version 5.0 of Proposed Update UTS #51.

[150-A101] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg, Editorial Committee: Draft a PRI for the proposed update of UTS #51 that clarifies the stability of the data.

[150-A102] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post the PRI for UTS #51 version 5.0 to close May 1, 2017.

E.5 Proposal to encode ISO/IEC 9995 symbols used on German keyboards [Pentzlin, L2/17-047]

Delay consideration of document L2/17-047 to allow keyboard vendors a chance to review it.

Short break.

D.6 Request to change glyphs of Kannada letters Vocalic L and Vocalic LL and their vowel signs [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-041]

[150-A103] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Add L2/17-041 (Kannada) to the agenda for the May 2017 UTC meeting.

D.8 Background information for Indic Segmentation [Lata, L2/16-365]

[150-A104] Action Item for : Review document L2/16-365 for possible proposal to update UAX #29, for Unicode version 11.0.

Peter Constable arrived.

C.6 Proposal to encode three uppercase Latin letters used in early Pinyin (WG2 N4782) [West, et al, L2/17-013]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.14 A system of control characters for Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic text [Nederhof, et al,, L2/16-210R]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.5.4 Modify Standardizedvariants.txt file in the Mongolian Block U+1800 – U+18AA [Eck, L2/17-035]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.5.1 Proposal to encode one historical Mongolian letter for Buryat Mongolian (WG2 N4781) [West, et al, L2/17-007]

[150-C23] Consensus: Accept U+1878 MONGOLIAN LETTER CHA WITH TWO DOTS for encoding in a future version of the standard, with properties as given in L2/17-007.

[150-A105] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add U+1878 MONGOLIAN LETTER CHA WITH TWO DOTS to the pipeline.

[150-A106] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+1878 MONGOLIAN LETTER CHA WITH TWO DOTS to the document requesting future additions.

C.5.5 Encode Mongolian Suffix Connector (U+180F) To Replace Narrow Non-Breaking Space (U+202F) [Eck, L2/17-036]

Brief discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.2.2.3.2 Ballot results for TC37/SC2 New Work Item Proposal: Identification and description of language varieties [TC37/SC2, L2/16-242]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.14.2 Script property of Arabic Letter Mark and interaction with digit substitution mechanisms [Constable, L2/16-306]

[150-C24] Consensus: Change the Script property of U+061C from Common to Arabic, and change Script_Extensions from Default to Arabic, Syriac, and Thaana, for Unicode 10.0.

[150-A107] Action Item for Mark Davis, Laurențiu Iancu, Roozbeh Pournader: Update the value of U+061C in Scripts.txt and ScriptExtensions.txt for Unicode 10.0. See above Consensus 150-C24 and document L2/16-306.

Adjourned for the day at 5:33 pm.


Thursday January 26, 2017

Meeting opened at 9:45.

6 members represented: Apple, Adobe, Google, IBM, Microsoft, UCB

B.11.2 Issue 332: Proposed Update UTS #10, Unicode Collation
B.11.2.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-018
]
B.11.2.2 Document for review [Scherer, L2/17-053
]

Long discussion.

[150-A108] Action Item for Ken Whistler: When the current working draft of UTS #10 is ready for public review, prepare an announcement and update the text of PRI #332.

[150-A108a] Action Item for Markus Scherer, Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Discuss in UTS #10 the handling of line terminators in string comparison.

D.7 Indic model (Liang Hai's spreadsheet)
D.7.1 Preliminary analysis of ZWNJ and ZWJ's usage in Indic scripts [Hai, L2/17-046
]

[150-A109] Action Item for Liang Hai: Update spreadsheet and prepare a web page version, then invite wider review, and send link to document registrar for snapshot.

[150-A110] Action Item for Andrew Glass, Editorial Committee: Update the Sinhala block introduction, for Unicode 10.0.

B.4.2 Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for nine characters [Lunde, L2/14-006]

[150-A111] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Investigate the Korean issue and come up with a new comprehensive proposal. See L2/14-006.

B.11.13 Issue 343: Proposed Update UTR #51, Unicode Emoji (Version 5)

[150-A112] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Reply to feedback from Christoph Päper Jan 26, 2017.

B.11 Public Review Issues

[150-A113] Action Item for Craig Cummings, Emoji Subcommittee: Review feedback from Christoph Päper of January 26, 2017 regarding L2/16-337R and discuss the issues in the Emoji Subcommittee.

[150-A114] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to feedback from Christoph Päper of January 26, 2017 regarding L2/16-337R.

C.5.4 Modify Standardizedvariants.txt file in the Mongolian Block U+1800 – U+18AA [Eck, L2/17-035]

[150-C25] Consensus: Update Standardizedvariants.txt for Mongolian per document L2/17-035R, for Unicode 10.0.

[150-A115] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update StandardizedVariants.txt as per document L2/17-035R, for Unicode 10.0.

Short break.

D.4.1 Preliminary proposal to encode Devanagari letter numerals [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-010]

[150-A116] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to author of L2/17-010.

E.2 Proposal to encode symbols for chess notation (WG2 N4783) [Everson, L2/17-033R]

Michel reviewed the proposed codepoints.

[150-C26] Consensus: Accept 9 symbols used in chess notation, with properties as documented in L2/17-033R:

	U+2BBA INTERLOCKED WHITE SQUARES
	U+2BBB INTERLOCKED WHITE AND BLACK SQUARES
	U+2BBC INTERLOCKED BLACK SQUARES
	U+2BF9 EQUALS SIGN WITH INFINITY BELOW
	U+2BFA UNION SYMBOL
	U+2BFB SEPARATION SYMBOL
	U+2BFC DOUBLE MEDIUM WHITE CIRCLE
	U+2BFD MEDIUM WHITE CIRCLE WITH UP ARROW
	U+2BFE REVERSED RIGHT ANGLE

for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[150-A117] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include 9 chess symbols. See above consensus 150-C26.

[150-A118] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add 9 chess symbols to document requesting future additions. See above consensus 150-C26.

[150-A119] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Work with Michael Everson to update the proposal L2/17-033R and re-submit to document register.

Lunch 12:30 - 13:30.

Georgian discussion.

[150-A120] Action Item for Kamal Mansour: Find and invite representatives from Georgia to a session at the next UTC meeting.

[150-A121] Action Item for Kamal Mansour, Lisa Moore: Schedule a sesssion with representatives of Georgia (public sector) at the next UTC meeting, on May 9th or 11th, 2017. Let SAP and Oracle representatives know the schedule.

Added two new agenda items, B.13.3.1 Definition of Block, L2/14-155, B.13.3.2 Authorize the Unicode 10.0 beta.

E.3 Revised proposal to encode heterodox chess symbols (WG2 N4784) [Wallace, Everson, L2/17-034]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.13.3.1 Definition of Block [Whistler, L2/14-155]

[150-A122] Action Item for Ken Whistler. Editorial Committee: Take material from L2/14-155 as amended in discussion and update the core specification for Unicode 10.0.

[150-C27] Consensus: Authorize the Unicode 10.0 beta review, including the data and specifications for UTS #10, UTS #39, and UTS #46.

[150-A123] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Release the Unicode version 10.0 beta.

[150-A124] Action Item for Mark Davis: Prepare and post the beta data files for UTS #39.

[150-A125] Action Item for Mark Davis: Prepare and post the beta data files for UTS #46.

B.11 Public Review Issues

[150-A126] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Extend the closing date for PRI #334 to May 1, 2017.

B.1.6 Review of document requesting new additions [Anderson]

Discussion.

Thanked the host.

UTC adjourned for the week at 2:48 pm.


UTC Attendance

Person Representing
Deborah Anderson U.C. Berkeley
Fesseha Atlaw self
Luc Baronian Stanford
Kulpreet Chilana Apple
Peter Constable Microsoft
Craig Cummings VMware, Inc.
Vivian Dao self
Mark Davis Google
Alex DelPriore Panlex
Peter Edberg Apple
Behnam Esfahbod self
Tayfun Karadeniz EmojiXpress
Jeff Kellem self
Laurențiu Iancu Microsoft
Steven Loomis IBM
Ken Lunde Adobe
Kamal Mansour Monotype
Rick McGowan Unicode
Karan Misra Apple
Lisa Moore Unicode
Megan O'Neill Paypal
Roozbeh Pournader Google
Murray Sargent Microsoft
Markus Scherer Google
Alolita Sharma Unicode
Michel Suignard Unicode
Jugu Sundar IBM
Ken Whistler Unicode
Ben Yang Panlex
   
By Phone
Jeremy Burge Emojipedia
Michael Everson Evertype
Andrew Glass Microsoft
John Jenkins Apple
Mike LaJoie Microsoft
Jennifer 8. Lee Emojination
Liang Hai self
Judy Safran-Aasen Microsoft
   

Members Represented

Full Member 1/23 1/24 1/25 1/26
1. Adobe Systems, Inc. yes yes yes yes
2. Apple, Inc. yes yes yes yes
3. Facebook        
4. Google, Inc. yes yes yes yes
5. Huawei        
6. IBM Corporation yes yes yes yes
7. Microsoft Corporation yes yes yes yes
8. Oracle America, Inc.        
9. SAP AG        
10. Sultanate of Oman, MARA        
11. Symantec        
         
Institutional Member        
1. Bangladesh, MSICT        
2. India, MIT        
3. Rajya Marathi Vikas Sanstha        
4. Tamil Nadu, TVA        
5. UCB yes yes yes yes
         
Supporting Member        
1. EmojiXpress yes yes yes  
2. Monotype Imaging Corp       yes 
         
Associate Member        
1. Emojination yes yes    
2. EmojiOne        
3. Panlex yes yes yes  
         
Individual Member        
2. Craig Cummings yes yes yes yes
3. Jennifer Lee yes yes    
3. Vivian Dao   yes yes  
         

 

Members not in regular attendance: Bangladesh, India, Tamil Nadu, Monotype, Oracle, SAP

Total full members in regular attendance: 6

TTotal institutional members in regular attendance: 1

Total supporting members in regular attendance: 1

Quorum: 4