L2/17-222

Draft Minutes of UTC Meeting 152
Redmond, WA — July 31 - August 4, 2017
Hosted by Microsoft

UTC #152 Agenda
Revision date: August 11, 2017


Monday, July 31, 2017

Meeting opened at 11:00.

6 members represented: Adobe, Apple, Google, IBM (proxy), Microsoft, UCB.

Quorum is 5.

Introductions.

L2 meeting opened.

A.5.2.1 Review of open action items [L2/SD2]

C.2.2 Script Ad Hoc report and recommendations on Mongolian [Whistler, et al, L2/17-243]

Lunch 12:30 - 1:40.

B.9.2 Unicode release schedules [Davis, L2/17-155]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

On the phone: William Overington

E.1.4 Alternative Encoding Model for Emoji Hair Variations [Buff, L2/17-193]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.1.5 Gender
E.1.5.2 Proposal for Fully Gender-Inclusive Emoji [Buff, L2/17-232]

UTC considered adding "HEIR TO THE THRONE" and "PERSON DANCING" emoji, but decided to wait for more widespread support for gender neutral forms that can already be represented using the existing mechanisms.

[152-A1] Action Item for Rick McGowan, Mark Davis, Peter Edberg: Formulate and send a response to Charlotte Buff on L2/17-232.

E.1.5.1 Add Emoji Gender Properties [ESC/Davis, L2/17-195]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.1.8 Tags for horizontal flipping

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.12.3 Working Draft UTS#29, Unicode Security Mechanisms [Davis, L2/17-258]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.12.1.1 Proposed IdnaTest.txt revisions for v11.0 [Davis, Schrer, L2/17-176]

[152-C1] Consensus: Adopt L2/17-176 with one amendment: change the name of the file to IdnaTextV2.txt for Unicode version 11.0.

[152-A2] Action Item for Mark Davis, Markus Scherer: Adopt the new format and filename for IDNA test file for Unicode version 11.0. See document L2/17-176.

[152-A3] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Update the text of UTS #46 re testing and test file format and prepare a proposed update for Unicode 11.0.

[152-A4] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post a PRI for proposed update UTS #46, to close October 13, 2017.

[152-A5] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Update the Unicode version 11.0 release BRS to reflect the new filename for IDNA tests. See above consensus 152-C1.

B.16.3 Variation selector definitions [Whistler]

[152-A5a] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Draft a new section for Chapter 3 on variation selectors and variation sequences, for Unicode 11.0.

B.11.1 Issue 352: Feedback on draft additional repertoire for ISO/IEC 10646:2017 (5th ed.) Amendment 1.3
B.11.1.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-224]

[152-A6] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add to ballot comments on PDAM 1.3, Peter Constable's feedback on PRI #352 from June 6, 2017.

[152-C2] Consensus: Change the names of U+2BFA..U+2BFD to UNITED PAWNS SYMBOL, SEPARATED PAWNS SYMBOL, DOUBLED PAWNS SYMBOL, PASSED PAWN SYMBOL.

[152-A6a] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline for name changes to U+2BFA..U+2BFD.

[152-A7] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to David Corbett regarding his feedback on PRI #352.

UTC adjourned for the day at 5:00pm.


Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Meeting opened at 9:30.

6 members represented: Adobe, Apple, Google, IBM (proxy), Microsoft, UCB, Emoji Express.

B.9 Unicode Locales Project (CLDR)
B.9.1 Liaison report [Davis, Edberg]

Oral report by Mark Davis.

B.2.1.1 Unicode Consortium Liaison Report to TC 37/SC 2 [Constable]

Oral report by Peter Constable.

B.7 UC Berkeley Department of Linguistics - Script Encoding Initiative
B.7.1 Liaison report [Anderson, L2/17-254
]

Discussion.

B.2.1.3 Liaison report from OWG Sort Editor [Whistler]

Discussion.

B.5.1 IETF Liaison report [McGowan]

Discussion.

Short break.

B.16.1 Unicode Continuity Characters: Character Plane Sets and Traversal Characters [Wiebe, L2/17-225]

[152-A8] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to the author of L2/17-225 that the UTC reviewed the proposal and sees it as destabilizing and unnecessary; it would break stability guarantees and cause massive compatibility problems.

B.14.6 Define and Stabilize Value Format of Unicode Version [Esfahbod, L2/17-234]

[152-C3] Consensus: Update the Unicode Standard to say that the version number is limited to 3 integer fields with values from 0 to 255.

[152-A9] Action Item for Mark Davis: Work with Behnam Esfahbod to develop a general proposal for version identification of specifications and libraries. See L2/17-234.

[152-A10] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Update the core spec discussion of Unicode Standard versions to provide details on numerical limits of version numbers for Unicode 11.0.

[152-A11] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Update Age Property discussion in UAX #44 to reflect the numerical limits of version numbers for Unicode 11.0.

B.14.7 Recommendations to UTC #152, July 31-August 4 2017 on Text segmentation in Indian languages [Lata, L2/17-200]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.14.1 New categories for Indic characters [Pandey, L2/17-148]
B.14.3 Indic characters without syllabic category assignments [Pandey, L2/17-121
]
B.14.2 Feedback on New Indic category for 0BFA Tamil Number Sign [Sharma, L2/17-178
]

[152-A12] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Provide feedback to Anshuman Pandey L2/17-148 and L2/17-121 that this property should be restricted to characters that participate in syllable formation.

B.14.4 Reconsidering ScriptExtensions added for supporting Tamil fractions [Sharma, L2/17-158]

[152-C4] Consensus: Remove entries for U+0BAA and U+0BB5 from ScriptExtensions.txt, for Unicode 11.0.

[152-A13] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Remove entries for U+0BAA and U+0BB5 from ScriptExtensions.txt, for Unicode 11.0.

Break for lunch and ad-hoc meetings 11:30 - 1:15.

B.14.8 Proposed property changes for U+111C9 SHARADA SANDHI MARK [Whistler, Iancu, L2/17-247]

[152-C5] Consensus: Change the properties for U+111C9 SHARADA SANDHI MARK as documented in L2/17-247, for Unicode 11.0.

[152-A14] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update UnicodeData.txt for U+111C9 for Unicode 11.0.

[152-A15] Action Item for Laurențiu Iancu: Update LineBreak.txt for U+111C9 for Unicode 11.0.

[152-A16] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Update the Indic property files for U+111C9 Unicode 11.0.

B.11.3 General feedback [L2/17-224]

[152-A17] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to feedback from Eduardo Marin on Paleo-Hispanic in L2/17-224.

[152-A18] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Change IndicPositionalCategory.txt based on input from Richard Wordingham on January 28, 2017 in L2/17-224, for Unicode 11.0.

[152-A19] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to feedback from Behnam Esfahbod in L2/17-224 that we are planning to change the test file, see L2/17-176 for details.

[152-A20] Action Item for Mark Davis: Look at feedback from Anna van Kesteren and Domenic Denicola on UTS #46 in L2/17-224 for Unicode 11.0.

[152-A21] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Anne van Kesteren and Domenic Denicola regarding their feedback on UTS #46 in L2/17-224.

[152-A22] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Update UTS #10 Appendix B based on feedback in L2/17-224 for Unicode 11.0.

[152-A23] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Andrew West's feedback on CollationTest_SHIFTED.txt.

E.1.2.0 Recommendations from ESC for UTC [ESC, L2/17-284]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Short break.

D.5 Proposal to encode JIHVAMULIYA and UPADHMANIYA for Soyombo [Pandey, L2/17-235]

[152-C6] Consensus: Accept U+11A84 SOYOMBO SIGN JIHVAMULIYA and U+11A85 SOYOMBO SIGN UPADHMANIYA for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[152-A24] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+11A84 SOYOMBO SIGN JIHVAMULIYA and U+11A85 SOYOMBO SIGN UPADHMANIYA.

[152-A25] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+11A84 SOYOMBO SIGN JIHVAMULIYA and U+11A85 SOYOMBO SIGN UPADHMANIYA to document requesting future additions.

[152-A26] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Work with Anshuman Pandey to add proposal summary form to L2/17-235.

D.10 Proposal to encode the Elymaean script in Unicode [Pandey, L2/17-226]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.23 Proposal to encode the Khwarezmian script in Unicode [Pandey, L2/17-054R]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.7.1 Proposal to Encode Arabic Hamza Above Isolated Form [Esfabod, L2/17-149]

[152-A27] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Behnam Esfahbod's document L2/17-149 with UTC position.

D.6.1 Proposal to encode the NEWA LETTER VEDIC ANUSVARA [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-093]

[152-C7] Consensus: Accept U+1145F NEWA LETTER VEDIC ANUSVARA with properties as documented in L2/17-093 for encoding in a future vesion of the standard.

[152-A28] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+1145F NEWA LETTER VEDIC ANUSVARA. See L2/17-093.

[152-A29] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+1145F NEWA LETTER VEDIC ANUSVARA to document requesting future additions. See L2/17-093.

D.6.2 Request to change the glyphs of Vedic signs Jihvamuliya and Upadhmaniya [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-095]

[152-C8] Consensus: Change the glyphs of U+1CF5 VEDIC SIGN JIHVAMULIYA and U+1CF6 VEDIC SIGN UPADHMANIYA based on documents L2/17-095 and L2/17-255, for Unicode 11.0.

[152-A30] Action Item for Deborah Anderson, Rick McGowan: Post a glyph erratum for U+1CF5 VEDIC SIGN JIHVAMULIYA and U+1CF6 VEDIC SIGN UPADHMANIYA. See L2/17-095 and L2/17-255.

[152-A31] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Send updated font for U+1CF5 VEDIC SIGN JIHVAMULIYA and U+1CF6 VEDIC SIGN UPADHMANIYA to Michel Suignard for printing the standard.

[152-C9] Consensus: Remove Kannada entry from ScriptExtensions.txt U+1CF5 VEDIC SIGN JIHVAMULIYA. See L2/17-095 and L2/17-255.

[152-A32] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Remove Kannada entry from ScriptExtensions.txt U+1CF5 VEDIC SIGN JIHVAMULIYA. See L2/17-095 and L2/17-255.

[152-A33] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Update section 12.1 of the core spec based section 15 of L2/17-255.

[152-A34] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Relay script ad-hoc feedback to Srinidhi A.

C.20 Follow-up to L2/17-125 “Preliminary Proposal for Encoding New Hangul” [S. and S. Oh, L2/17-241]
C.20.1 Comments on L2/17-241 [Chung, L2/17-248
]

Discussion. UTC declines to take any action on this.

E.2 Proposal to add southern Song forms of counting rods as separate characters [Silva, L2/17-187]

[152-A35] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Relay script ad-hoc feedback and follow up with the author of L2/17-187.

E.4 Proposal to encode NEPTUNE FORM TWO [Silva, L2/17-191]

[152-C10] Consensus: Accept U+2BC9 NEPTUNE FORM TWO with properties as given in L2/17-191 for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[152-A36] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+2BC9 NEPTUNE FORM TWO. See L2/17-191.

[152-A37] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+2BC9 NEPTUNE FORM TWO to document requesting future additions. See L2/17-191.

[152-A38] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Follow up with author of L2/17-191 fill out a proposal summary form and update the document.

Meeting adjourned at 5:30pm.


Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Meeting opened at 9:45.

6.5 members represented: Adobe, Apple, Google, IBM (proxy), Microsoft, UCB, EmojiXpress.

D.4 Proposal to Encode Lao Characters for Pali [Rajan, L2/17-106]

[152-C11] Consensus: Accept 15 Lao letters at 0E86..0EBA with properties as documented in L2/17-106R for encoding in a future version of the standard:

	U+0E86 LAO LETTER PALI GHA
	U+0E89 LAO LETTER PALI CHA
	U+0E8C LAO LETTER PALI JHA
	U+0E8E LAO LETTER PALI NYA
	U+0E8F LAO LETTER PALI TTA
	U+0E90 LAO LETTER PALI TTHA
	U+0E91 LAO LETTER PALI DDA
	U+0E92 LAO LETTER PALI DDHA
	U+0E93 LAO LETTER PALI NNA
	U+0E98 LAO LETTER PALI DHA
	U+0EA0 LAO LETTER PALI BHA
	U+0EA8 LAO LETTER SANSKRIT SHA
	U+0EA9 LAO LETTER SANSKRIT SSA
	U+0EAC LAO LETTER PALI LLA
	U+0EBA LAO SIGN PALI VIRAMA

[152-A39] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add 15 Lao letters at U+0E86..U+0EBA to pipeline. See L2/17-106R.

[152-A40] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add 15 Lao letters at U+0E86..U+0EBA to document requesting new additions. See L2/17-106R.

[152-A41] Action Item for Vinodh Rajan: Send font for 15 Lao letters to Michel Suignard.

E.1.3.1 Comments in response to L2-17/147 [ESC/Edberg, Davis, L2/17-192]

Discussion. UTC took no action this time.

C.15 Proposal to create a new block for missing Block Element characters [Silva, L2/17-194]

[152-A42] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Relay script ad-hoc feedback to the author of L2/17-194.

E.7 Hell pause character [Spix, L2/17-151]

[152-C12] Consensus: Accept U+2BFF HELLSCHREIBER PAUSE SYMBOL with properties as noted in L2/17-151 and L2/17-255, for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[152-A43] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+2BFF HELLSCHREIBER PAUSE SYMBOL.

[152-A44] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+2BFF HELLSCHREIBER PAUSE SYMBOL to document requesting new additions. See L2/17-151 and L2/17-255.

[152-A45] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Request the author of L2/17-151 to provide updated document with codepoint and character name change. See above consensus 152-C12.

B.12.3 Working Draft UAX#29, Unicode Text Segmentation [Davis, L2/17-258]

[152-C13] Consensus: Approve proposed update UAX #29 L2/17-258 as amended in discussion.

[152-A46] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Prepare proposed update UAX #29 for posting.

[152-A47] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post a PRI on proposed update UAX #29 to close October 13, 2017.

E.2 Proposal to add southern Song forms of counting rods as separate characters [Silva, L2/17-187R]

[152-C14] Consensus: Accept 5 Southern Song counting rod characters 1D379..1D37D with properties as given in L2/17-187R for encoding in a future version of the standard:

	U+1D379 SOUTHERN SONG COUNTING ROD UNIT DIGIT FOUR
	U+1D37A SOUTHERN SONG COUNTING ROD UNIT DIGIT FIVE
	U+1D37B SOUTHERN SONG COUNTING ROD UNIT DIGIT NINE
	U+1D37C SOUTHERN SONG COUNTING ROD TENS DIGIT FIVE
	U+1D37D SOUTHERN SONG COUNTING ROD TENS DIGIT NINE

[152-A48] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include 5 Southern Song counting rod characters 1D379..1D37D. See L2/17-187R.

[152-A49] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add 5 Southern Song counting rod characters 1D379..1D37D to document requesting new additions. See L2/17-187R.

E.3 Proposal to change the name of the accepted tally marks and add named character sequences for them [Silva, L2/17-188]

[152-A50] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Provide feedback to the author of L2/17-188.

C.4 On the exchange of clock face information in plain text and implications for encoding [Silva, L2/17-179]

[152-A51] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Provide feedback to the author of L2/17-179.

Short break. Yay! New mouse.

D.11.1 On the Origin of Malayalam Candrakkala [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-207]
D.11.2 Feedback on L2/17-207 on Malayalam Chandrakala [Sharma, L2/17-230]

[152-A52] Action Item for Deborah Anderson, Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Update the Malayalam block intro based on document L2/17-207 and L2/17-230.

D.12.3 Proposal to encode 116B8 TAKRI LETTER ARCHAIC KHA [Sharma, L2/17-279]

[152-C15] Consensus: Approve U+116B8 TAKRI LETTER ARCHAIC KHA with properties as given in L2/17-279.

[152-A53] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add annotation to U+1168B (old character) as documented in L2/17-279.

[152-A54] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+116B8 TAKRI LETTER ARCHAIC KHA.

[152-A55] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+116B8 TAKRI LETTER ARCHAIC KHA to document requesting new additions.

[152-A56] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Contact Shriramana Sharma to obtain font for U+116B8 TAKRI LETTER ARCHAIC KHA.

B.12.2 Arabic mark ordering algorithm
B.12.2.1.Proposed Draft: Unicode Technical Report UNICODE ARABIC MARK ORDERING ALGORITHM [Pournader, et al, L2/17-253]

On the phone: Lorna Evans, Bob Hallissey, Roozbeh Pournader.

[152-C16] Consensus: Create a proposed draft UTR #53 Unicode Arabic Mark Ordering Algorithm, based on document L2/17-253.

[152-A57] Action Item for Lorna Evans, Roozbeh Pournader, Bob Hallissey, Editorial Committee: Prepare text for proposed draft UTR #53 Unicode Arabic Mark Ordering Algorithm.

[152-A58] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post PRI for Proposed Draft UTR Unicode Arabic Mark Ordering Algorithm to close October 13.

Lunch and ad-hoc meetings.

E.1.2.0 Recommendations from ESC for UTC [ESC, L2/17-284R]

On the phone: Agustin Fonts, Roozbeh Pournader, Ned Holbrook.

Oral emoji presentation and discussion. UTC took no action a this time.

C.19 Towards the ordering of the Shuishu script [Everson, L2/17-239]

On the phone: Michael Everson.

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.6 Cumulative chart of the Loma script [SEI/Everson, L2/17-233]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.22 Proposal to encode Proto-Cuneiform [SEI, Everson, Hawkins, L2/17-157]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.3 Proposal to encode the Wancho script [SEI/Everson, L2/17-067R]

[152-C17] Consensus: Accept 55 Wancho characters at U+1E2C0..U+1E2FF in block "Wancho", at U+1E2C0..U+1E2FF, according to document L2/17-067R, minus the four tone marks at U+1E1EC..U+1E2EF,with properties as given in L2/17-067R, for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[152-A59] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include 55 Wancho characters. See L2/17-067R.

[152-A60] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add 55 Wancho characters to document requesting new additions. See L2/17-067R.

[152-A61] Action Item for Michael Everson: Provide the font for Wancho to Michel Suignard.

Julie Allen has entered the building.

C.17 Proposal to add LATIN LETTER THORN WITH DIAGONAL STROKE [West, Everson, L2/17-236]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.18 Proposal to add LATIN LETTER ANGLICANA W to the UCS [Everson, L2/17-238]

[152-C18] Consensus: Accept U+A7C2 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER ANGLICANA W and U+A7C3 LATIN SMALL LETTER ANGLICANA W with properties as given in L2/17-238 for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[152-A62] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+A7C2 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER ANGLICANA W and U+A7C3 LATIN SMALL LETTER ANGLICANA W. See L2/17-238.

[152-A63] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+A7C2 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER ANGLICANA W and U+A7C3 LATIN SMALL LETTER ANGLICANA W to document requesting new additions. See L2/17-238.

[152-A64] Action Item for Michael Everson: Send font for Anglicana W characters to Michel Suignard. See L2/17-238.

Meeting adjourned for the day at 5:00 pm.


Thursday, August 3, 2017

Meeting opened at 9:30.

6.5 members represented: Adobe, Apple (proxy) Google, IBM (proxy), Microsoft, UCB, EmojiXpress (proxy).

B.1.3.3 Ad Hoc Recommendations on PRI 352 and PRI 353 [Anderson, L2/17-288]

Discussion. Document L2/17-288 will be posted and referenced as part of the PRI #352 and PRI #353 closure process.

[152-A65] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #352 and refer to L2/17-288 in the notice. (Note: this action item added in review after the meeting.)

[152-A66] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #353 and refer to L2/17-288 in the notice. (Note: this action item added in review after the meeting.)

[152-A67] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Respond to Tamil Nadu on combining bindu below.

Short break / ad-hocs 10:45 - 11:15.

D.13 Proposal to encode the TELUGU SIGN SIDDHAM [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-218]

[152-C19] Consensus: Accept U+0C77 TELUGU SIGN SIDDHAM with properties as given in L2/17-218 for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[152-A68] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+0C77 TELUGU SIGN SIDDHAM.

[152-A69] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+0C77 TELUGU SIGN SIDDHAM to document requesting new additions.

[152-A70] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Get an updated proposal L2/17-218.

D.14 Proposal to encode the DOGRA VOWEL SIGN VOCALIC RR [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-201]

[152-C20] Consensus: Accept U+1183B DOGRA VOWEL SIGN VOCALIC RR with properties as given in L2/17-201 for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[152-A71] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+1183B DOGRA VOWEL SIGN VOCALIC RR.

[152-A72] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+1183B DOGRA VOWEL SIGN VOCALIC RR to document requesting new additions.

[152-A73] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Work with author of L2/17-201 to get a font and forward to Michel Suignard.

B.17.1 Report on IDN developments at ICANN and IETF [Freytag, L2/17-289]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Lunch and ad-hocs 12:30 - 1:45.

B.4.2 Proposal to add 78 ideographs to UAX #45 [Fan, L2/17-204]

[152-A74] Action Item for John Jenkins: Include the 78 ideographs in document L2/17-204 in the proposed update to UAX #45 for Unicode 11.0.

B.4.1 New & Updated Unihan Database Properties for China, Japan & Korea [Lunde, L2/17-173]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.16.2 Request to Retract Consensus 151-C19 and Action Item 151-A134 (see L2/17-168) [Sivonen, L2/17-197]

[152-C21] Consensus: Retract Consensus 151-C19.

[152-A75] Action Item for Lisa Moore, Rick McGowan: Amend the meeting minutes for UTC #151 to note that 151-C19 was later retracted during meeting #152.

Short break.

E.1.2.0 Recommendations from ESC for UTC [ESC, L2/17-284]

[152-A76] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Constable: Prepare a document with guidance on the ordering of ZWJ sequences and top-of-head emoji, for the October 2017 meeting.

[152-C22] Consensus: Advance the 67 emoji characters listed in L2/17-284 to draft candidate status.

[152-A77] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add 67 emoji characters in L2/17-284 to pipeline with "draft candidate" status.

[152-A78] Action Item for Mark Davis, Emoji Subcommittee: Add the 67 emoji characters in L2/17-284 to the emoji candidates list.

[152-A79] Action Item for Paul Hunt: Provide a black/white glyphs in a font for the 67 emoji characters in L2/17-284 to Michel Suignard and Mark Davis, by September 1, 2017.

[152-A80] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add 67 emoji characters to the document requesting new additions.

[152-A81] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Create a proposal summary form for 67 emoji characters in L2/17-284 and forward to Michel Suignard, by September 1, 2017.

[152-A82] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg: Add black/white images to an "R" version of L2/17-284 once a font is available.

E.1.2.0.1 Recommendations from ESC for UTC, part 2 [ESC, L2/17-287]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.4.1 New & Updated Unihan Database Properties for China, Japan & Korea [Lunde, L2/17-173]

[152-C23] Consensus: Create 5 new provisional Unihan properties as documented in L2/17-173.

[152-A83] Action Item for John Jenkins: Add 5 new provisional Unihan properties as documented in L2/17-173. Note data is included in the L2/17-173.

[152-A84] Action Item for John Jenkins, Editorial Committee: Create a proposed update of UAX #38, documenting the 5 new Unihan provisional properties, for Unicode 11.0.

[152-A85] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post PRI on UAX #38, to close October 13, 2017.

[152-C24] Consensus: Change the provisional property kHangul based on the data file contain in L2/17-173.

[152-A86] Action Item for John Jenkins: Change the provisional property kHangul based on the data file contained in L2/17-173.

B.4.3 Preliminary IRG Working Set 2017 Submission [Lunde, L2/17-286]

[152-C25] Consensus: Prepare a submission to IRG based on documents L2/17-286 and L2/17-204 with possible refinements.

[152-A87] Action Item for John Jenkins, Ken Lunde: Prepare a submission to IRG based on documents L2/17-286 and L2/17-204. Submit no later than September 15, 2017.

B.3.1 IRG Liaison report [Lunde, L2/17-196]

Oral report from Ken Lunde. UTC took no action at this time.

B.14.9 Indic positional category for Grantha nukta [Whistler]

[152-C26] Consensus: Add the Indic Positional category "below" to U+1133C GRANTHA NUKTA in Unicode 11.0.

[152-A88] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Update the IndicPositionalCategory.txt for U+1133C GRANTHA NUKTA to "below".

E.8 Baha’i 9-Pointed Star Emoji Proposal Submission [Behjat, L2/17-237]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Meeting adjourned for the day at 5:35pm.


Friday, August 4, 2017

Meeting opened at 9:30.

6.5 members represented: Adobe, Apple (proxy) Google, IBM (proxy), Microsoft, UCB, EmojiXpress (proxy).

B.15.2 Mongolian Ad Hoc Report

Oral report by Ken Whistler.

A.6 Calendar review

New dates for UTC meetings:

UTC 156 — July 23-27, 2018, host Microsoft
UTC 157 — September 17-21, 2018, host TBD
UTC 158 — January 14-18, 2019, host VMware

B.12.4 Working Draft UTS#51, Unicode Emoj [Davis, Edberg, L2/17-256]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.1.5.1 Add emoji gender properties [ESC/Davis, L2/17-195]

[152-A89] Action Item for Mark Davis: Prepare a new document based on L2/17-195 limited to Emoji_Explicit_Gender with an explicit list of the characters and rationale for why it is needed as a property for regexes, property APIs, etc.

Short break.

B.15.3 Review of PRI 352 and 353 feedback [Anderson, L2/17-288]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.6 Proposal to add CC license symbols to UCS [Creative Commons, Park, L2/17-242]

[152-A90] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Provide feedback to authors of L2/17-242 to say that UTC would like to progress on the proposal and requests a set of descriptive names for the characters.

C.24 Egyptian Format Control [Glass, L2/17-112R]

[152-C27] Consensus: Accept U+13436 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH OVERLAY MIDDLE with properties as given in L2/17-112R for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[152-A91] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+13436 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH OVERLAY MIDDLE.

[152-A92] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add a request to add U+13436 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH OVERLAY MIDDLE to ballot comments on amendment 2.

B.1.3.2 Review ballot comments [Anderson, L2/17-291, L2/17-292, L2/17-293]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.21 Shuowen Seal Encoding Design Issues [Cook, L2/17-250]

The UTC has reviewed this document. Our sense is that Seal Script should be separately encoded even though we recognize there is a clear historical relationship between Seal Script and Han. See Aramaic, Brahmi.

UTC recognizes that major sources may have duplicate entries. So a strict source-separation rule should not be imposed on the encoding.

UTC has no position on question 3 of the document, lacking the particular expertise.

[152-A92a] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Relay UTC feedback on Shuowen Seal script design encoding issues to Richard Cook, so that he has UTC feedback prior to the August Shuowen Seal encoding meeting.

B.11.3.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-224]

[152-A93] Action Item for John Jenkins: Change the status of the 96 characters with status "F" to "W" in UAX #45 data, for Unicode 11.0. See feedback from Leroy Vargas-Oritz on July 18, 2017, in L2/17-224.

[152-A94] Action Item for Mark Davis: Review feedback from David Corbett regarding typo in UTS #51, July 18, 2017, in L2/17-224.

[152-A95] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Add L2/17-224 to the agenda for next UTC.

[152-A96] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Add agenda items from this meeting to the agenda for next UTC: D.2, C.7.2, C.7.3, C.9, C.16, D.15, E.5.

D.3 Preliminary proposal to encode the Pungchen script [Pandey, L2/17-181]
D.8 Preliminary proposal to encode the Brusha script in Unicode [Pandey, L2/17-183
]
D.9 Introducing the Amaragannada scripts [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-186
]

Three prelimiary proposals above, noted by UTC.

Thanks to the host.

UTC adjourned for the week at 2:05 pm.


UTC Attendance

Person Representing
Julie Allen Unicode
Deborah Anderson U.C. Berkeley
Jeremy Burge Emojipedia
Jeff Chertack Gates Fnd
Peter Constable Microsoft
Craig Cummings VMware, Inc.
Mark Davis Google
Greg Eck self
Peter Edberg Apple
Asmus Freytag Asmus Inc.
Andrew Glass Microsoft
Liang Hai self
Tayfun Karadeniz EmojiXpress
Swaran Lata Gov't of India
Jennifer 8. Lee Emojination
Kristi Lee Microsoft
Ken Lunde Adobe
Sergey Malkin Microsoft
Rick McGowan Unicode
Lisa Moore Unicode
Judy Safran-Aasen Microsoft
Murray Sargent Microsoft
Shawn Steele Microsoft
Michel Suignard Unicode
Ken Whistler Unicode
   
By Phone
Lorna Evans SIL
Michael Everson Evertype
Agustin Fonts Google
Bob Hallissey SIL
Ned Holbrook Apple
William Overington self
Roozbeh Pournader Google
   

Members Represented

Full Member 07/31 8/01 8/02 8/03 8/04
1. Adobe Systems, Inc. yes yes yes yes yes
2. Apple, Inc. yes yes yes yes (proxy) yes (proxy)
3. Facebook          
4. Google, Inc. yes yes yes yes yes
5. Huawei          
6. IBM Corporation yes (proxy) yes (proxy) yes (proxy) yes (proxy) yes (proxy)
7. Microsoft Corporation yes yes yes yes yes
8. Netflix          
9. Oracle America, Inc.          
10. SAP AG          
11. Sultanate of Oman, MARA          
           
Institutional Member          
1. Bangladesh, MSICT          
2. Tamil Nadu, TVA          
3. UCB yes yes yes yes yes
           
Supporting Member          
1. EmojiXpress yes yes yes yes (proxy) yes (proxy)
2. Monotype Imaging Corp          
           
Associate Member          
1. Emojination yes yes yes    
           
Individual Member          
1. Craig Cummings yes yes yes yes yes
2. Jeremy Burge yes yes yes    
3. Jennifer Lee yyes yes yes    
           

 

Members not in regular attendance: Bangladesh, Huawei, Tamil Nadu, Oracle, SAP

Total full members in regular attendance: 8

Total institutional members in regular attendance: 1

Total supporting members in regular attendance: 2

Quorum: 5