L2/17-362

Draft Minutes of UTC Meeting 153
Sunnyvale, CA — October 23 - 27, 2017
Hosted by Apple

UTC #153 Agenda
Revision date: November 10, 2017


Monday, October 23, 2017

Meeting opened at 10:30 a.m.

Introductions.

7 members represented: Adobe, Apple, Google, IBM, MS, Netflix, UCB

Quorum is 5.5

A.5.2.1 Review of open action items [L2/SD2]

A.6 Calendar review

C.4 Mongolian

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Lunch 11:45 - 12:45.

B.1.1.4 Consent docket [Whistler, Anderson, L2/17-353]

[153-C1] Consensus: Accept two code point changes for new Armenian characters - 058B to 0560 for ARMENIAN SMALL LETTER TURNED AYB, and 058C to 0588 for ARMENIAN SMALL LETTER YI WITH STROKE.

[153-C2] Consensus: Accept three name changes for new chess characters U+2BBA..U+2BBC, "INTERLOCKED" goes to "OVERLAPPING".

[153-C3] Consensus: Change the names of new symbols U+2BFA, U+2BFB, U+2BFC, and U+2BFD to remove "PAWNS" ("PAWN" for U+2BFD) from the names.

[153-C4] Consensus: Accept 10 new code positions for Dogra:

	Insert 11832 DOGRA VOWEL SIGN VOCALIC RR and change -
	11832 to 11833 DOGRA VOWEL SIGN E
	11833 to 11834 DOGRA VOWEL SIGN AI
	11834 to 11835 DOGRA VOWEL SIGN O
	11835 to 11836 DOGRA VOWEL SIGN AU
	11836 to 11837 DOGRA SIGN ANUSVARA
	11837 to 11838 DOGRA SIGN VISARGA
	11838 to 11839 DOGRA SIGN VIRAMA
	11839 to 1183A DOGRA SIGN NUKTA
	1183A to 1183B DOGRA ABBREVIATION SIGN

[153-C5] Consensus: Accept fourteen name changes for Chinese chess characters:

	1FA60 RED XIANGQI GENERAL to XIANGQI RED GENERAL
	1FA61 RED XIANGQI MANDARIN to XIANGQI RED MANDARIN
	1FA62 RED XIANGQI ELEPHANT to XIANGQI RED ELEPHANT
	1FA63 RED XIANGQI HORSE to XIANGQI RED HORSE
	1FA64 RED XIANGQI CHARIOT to XIANGQI RED CHARIOT
	1FA65 RED XIANGQI CANNON to XIANGQI RED CANNON
	1FA66 RED XIANGQI SOLDIER to XIANGQI RED SOLDIER
	1FA67 BLACK XIANGQI GENERAL to XIANGQI BLACK GENERAL
	1FA68 BLACK XIANGQI MANDARIN to XIANGQI BLACK MANDARIN
	1FA69 BLACK XIANGQI ELEPHANT to XIANGQI BLACK ELEPHANT
	1FA6A BLACK XIANGQI HORSE to XIANGQI BLACK HORSE
	1FA6B BLACK XIANGQI CHARIOT to XIANGQI BLACK CHARIOT
	1FA6C BLACK XIANGQI CANNON to XIANGQI BLACK CANNON
	1FA6D BLACK XIANGQI SOLDIER to XIANGQI BLACK SOLDIER

[153-C6] Consensus: Accept three early Pinyin characters based on L2/17-013 for encoding in a future version of the standard:

	U+A7C4 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER C WITH PALATAL HOOK
	U+A7C5 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH HOOK
	U+A7C6 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z WITH PALATAL HOOK

[153-C7] Consensus: Accept two Sinological Latin letters based on L2/17-299 for encoding in a future version of the standard:

	U+AB66 LATIN SMALL LETTER DZ DIGRAPH WITH RETROFLEX HOOK
	U+AB67 LATIN SMALL LETTER TS DIGRAPH WITH RETROFLEX HOOK

[153-C8] Consensus: Accept five urgently needed CJK Unified Ideographs U+9FEB..U+9FEF based on L2/17-156, L2/17-396, and L2/17-397 for encoding in Unicode version 11.0.

[153-C9] Consensus: Change the block name "Egyptian Hieroglyphs Format Controls" to "Egyptian Hieroglyph Format Controls".

B.11.5 Issue 359: Proposed Draft UTR #53, Unicode Arabic Mark Ordering Algorithm

On Phone: Lorna Evans, Tom Moore, Bob Hallissy, Roozbeh Pournader

[153-A1] Action Item for Bob Hallissy, Lorna Evans: Incorporate feedback from Asmus Freytag (PRI #359) into the next revision of Proposed Draft UTR #53.

[153-A2] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Reply to Asmus Freytag re his feedback on PRI #359.

[153-A3] Action Item for Bob Hallissy, Lorna Evans: Review the first feedback from Richard Ishida on PRI #359 when making the next revision of Proposed Draft UTR #53.

[153-A4] Action Item for Bob Hallissy, Lorna Evans: Change the name of Proposed Draft UTR #53 based on feedback in discussion.

[153-A5] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Extend the closing date of PRI #359 to January 15, 2018.

Short break 2:00 - 2:10.

Emojipedia now present.

E.1.1 Emoji Subcommittee report Q3 2017 [ESC/Davis, et al, L2/17-380]

On Phone: Matthieu Credou (BZH), Judy Safran-Aasen

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

[153-A6] (This action item number is unused.)

E.1.5 Gender Emoji Strategy [ESC/Davis, Burge, L2/17-374]

[153-A7] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg: Add a note to the list in Section 2.1, Gender of UTS #51 to indicate that the gender-specific status of some characters could change.

L2/17-374 was presented but the UTC declined to take action until sufficient evidence that gender appearance would be supported by vendors in RGI status.

Short break 3:45 - 4:00 pm.

B.1.1.2.2 Unicode liaison report from SC2 [Constable, L2/17-351]

Discussion and oral report by Peter Constable.

B.1.1.3 IR's meeting report [Anderson]

Discussion and oral report by Deborah Anderson.

B.1.1.4 Consent docket [Whistler, Anderson, L2/17-353]

Taking up again from Section I.2.

[153-C10] Consensus: Accept 6 Egyptian Hieroglyph name changes as documented in L2/17-353.

	U+13432 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH INSERT TOP START to EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH START AT TOP
	U+13433 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH INSERT BOTTOM START to EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH START AT BOTTOM
	U+13434 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH INSERT TOP END to EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH END AT TOP
	U+13435 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH INSERT BOTTOM END to EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH END AT BOTTOM
	U+13437 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH INSERT SEGMENT START to EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH BEGIN SEGMENT
	U+13438 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH INSERT SEGMENT END to EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH END SEGMENT

[153-C11] Consensus: Accept U+16FE2 OLD CHINESE HOOK MARK and U+16FE3 OLD CHINESE ITERATION MARK for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[153-C12] Consensus: Accept 6 Tangut ideograph additions from U+187F2..U+187F7 for encoding in a future version of the standard based on L2/17-360.

[153-C13] Consensus: Move the following 7 small kana characters from block "Kana Extended A" to "Small Kana Extension":

	U+1B128 to U+1B150 HIRAGANA LETTER SMALL WI
	U+1B129 to U+1B151 HIRAGANA LETTER SMALL WE
	U+1B12A to U+1B152 HIRAGANA LETTER SMALL WO
	U+1B12C to U+1B164 KATAKANA LETTER SMALL WI
	U+1B12D to U+1B165 KATAKANA LETTER SMALL WE
	U+1B12E to U+1B166 KATAKANA LETTER SMALL WO
	U+1B12F to U+1B167 KATAKANA LETTER SMALL N

[153-C14] Consensus: Accept U+1F9A1 BADGER and U+1F9A2 SWAN for encoding in Unicode 11.0.

[153-A8] Action Item for Mark Davis, Emoji Subcommittee: Add U+1F9A1 BADGER and U+1F9A2 SWAN to the draft candidates list.

[153-A9] Action Item for Jeremy Burge, Mark Davis, Peter Edberg: Compose text clarifying the different kinds of pictographic characters and the needed justification for encoding as new characters.

[153-A10] Action Item for Jeremy Burge: Respond to Andrew West and Michael Everson saying we would like them to supply four proposals for encoding MAMMOTH, DODO, SQUIRREL, and TROLL as emoji.

[153-A11] Action Item for Peter Constable: Add the position clarifying the different kinds of pictographic characters and the needed justification for encoding as new characters to the UTC liaison report.

[153-C15] Consensus: Correct the name of U+1FA08 NEUTRAL CHESS KNIGHT ROTATED FORTYFIVE DEGREES to add the missing hyphen in "FORTY-FIVE".

[153-A12] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Reflect all of the above changes for the WG2 consent docket in the Pipeline.

Meeting adjourned for the day at 5:30 p.m.


Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Meeting opened at 9:35 a.m.

7 members represented: Netflix, UCB, Adobe, Apple, MS, IBM, Google

On Phone: John Jenkins

B.3.2 IRG Working Set 2015 Version 4.0, UTC Comments [Lunde, L2/17-305]
B.3.3 US/Unicode Activity Report for IRG #49 [Lunde, L2/17-325]
B.3.4 UTC Response for IRG Working Set 2015 v4.0 Consolidated Comments [UTC/Lunde, L2/17-346]
B.3.5 IRG Working Set 2017 from UTC [Lunde, L2/17-308]
B.3.6 IRG Meeting #49 Recommendations and Action Items [Lunde, L2/17-390]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.3.1 Liaison report [Lunde, L2/17-379]

[153-C16] Consensus: Change the source reference from UTC- to UK- for UTC-01313 through UTC-02968 as per IRG M49.9 for Unicode 11.0.

[153-A13] Action Item for John Jenkins: Update UAX #45 and UAX #38 to change the source reference from UTC- to UK- for UTC-01313 through UTC-02968 as per IRG M49.9, for Unicode version 11.0.

[153-C17] Consensus: Start a proposed update of UTC #37.

[153-A14] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Work with John Jenkins to update UTS #37 to incorporate the text from "Revised Unification Rules & IVD" as in the IRG liaison report L2/17-379, for Unicode version 11.0.

[153-A15] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post PRI for proposed update to UTS #37 to close January 15, 2018.

B.4.8 Submission of 3 IDCs [Yang, et al, L2/17-386]

[153-A16] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Follow up with proposers of L2/17-386 and Andrew West to resolve the issues raised, and come up with a new proposal, including the fourth character.

Short break.

On Phone: Lorna Evans, Sharon Correll, John Jenkins

C.17 Proposal for additions to the Miao script [Cheuk, L2/17-345]

[153-C18] Consensus: Accept 16 Miao characters between U+16F45..U+16F87 for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[153-A17] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the Pipeline to include 16 Miao characters between U+16F45..U+16F87.

[153-A18] Action Item for Lorna Evans: Relay outcome of L2/17-345 to Adrian Cheuk.

B.3.1 Liaison report [Lunde, L2/17-379]

[153-A19] Action Item for John Jenkins, Editorial Committee: Update UAX #45 by adding to item 3 in the list of classes of CJK ideograph in the UTC-source database (in section 1 of UAX #45), with language similar to the following: "If further changes to IRG source information supply these ideographs another formal source, these ideographs retain their UCI source prefix in the UTC source documented here, but lose their UTC-source reference in the Unihan database and ISO/IEC 10646."

[153-A20] Action Item for John Jenkins, Michel Suignard: Remove the UCI source reference for U+24FB9 once it gets a source reference, for Unicode 11.0.

[153-A21] Action Item for John Jenkins, Michel Suignard: Add a horizontal extension for 23 H-source characters for Unicode version 11.0, as referenced in the "Other Reports" section of L2/17-379.

[153-A22] Action Item for Michel Suignard: Update the H-source charts for Unicode version 11.0.

[153-A23] Action Item for John Jenkins, Editorial Committee: Update UAX #45 and assign a new UCI-03159 for U+2F9B2 based on last paragraph of "Other Reports" section of L2/17-379 for Unicode version 11.0.

[153-A24] Action Item for Michel Suignard, John Jenkins: Update source references for U+2F9B2 and U+270F0, for Unicode 11.0.

B.4.1 New Proposal to add standardized variation sequence for U+FF10 FULL WIDtH DIGIT ZERO [Lunde, L2/17-294]

[153-C19] Consensus: Add the Standardized Variation Sequence U+FF10 U+FE00; short diagonal stroke form; # FULLWIDTH DIGIT ZERO to a future version of the standard.

[153-A25] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add Standardized Variation Sequence U+FF10 U+FE00 to Pipeline. See above consensus 153-C19.

[153-A26] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Submit the document L2/17-294 to WG2 for posting.

B.4.2 Enclosed CJK Letters and Months [Alcazar, L2/17-306]

[153-A27] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Respond to the proposer of L2/17-306, relay feedback, and ask him to fill out the proposal summary forms.

B.4.6 Proposal to Encode Two Vietnamese Alternate Reading Marks [Collins, et al, L2/17-373]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Lunch break.

B.4.6 Proposal to Encode Two Vietnamese Alternate Reading Marks [Collins, et al, L2/17-373]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.1. Emoji

On Phone: Ned Holbrook, Roozbeh Pournader, Judy Safran-Aasen, Jennifer 8. Lee, William Overington.

E.1.7 Remaining Tag Sequences [Davis, L2/17-375]

[153-A28] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg, Editorial Committee: Add a short section to UTS #51 on the use of ZWJ sequences to control directional presentation of emoji characters.

The UTC sees no need for a private use tag mechanism as described in L2/17-375.

E.1.9 Emoji request page

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.4.9 Vietnamese horizontal extension and glyph changes [Collins]

Discussion. No action taken at this time.

B.4.6 Proposal to Encode Two Vietnamese Alternate Reading Marks [Collins, et al, L2/17-373]

[153-C20] Consensus: Accept U+16FF0 VIETNAMESE ALTERNATE READING MARK CA and U+16FF1 VIETNAMESE ALTERNATE READING MARK NHAY with combining class 6 and Bidi property L for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[153-A29] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the Pipeline to include U+16FF0 VIETNAMESE ALTERNATE READING MARK CA and U+16FF1 VIETNAMESE ALTERNATE READING MARK NHAY.

[153-A30] Action Item for Lee Collins: Update the proposal L2/17-373 and send revision to Rick McGowan and Michel Suignard for posting.

[153-A31] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add the two characters U+16FF0 VIETNAMESE ALTERNATE READING MARK CA and U+16FF1 VIETNAMESE ALTERNATE READING MARK NHAY to document requesting new additions.

C.12 Proposal to add LATIN LETTER THORN WITH DIAGONAL STROKE [West, L2/17-236R]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.13.1 Proposal to add one combining character for Medieval Cornish [Everson, L2/17-358]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.13.2 Proposal to add one punctuation character for Medieval Cornish to the UCS [Everson, L2/17-357]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.14.2 Proposal: Data File for ISO 15924 Script IDs Supported in Unicode [Constable, L2/17-392]

[153-C21] Consensus: The UTC requests the Unicode Consortium officers ask the 15924 Registrar to add age and component information to the registry charts.

[153-A32] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Ask the officers to request the 15924 Registrar add age and component information to the registry charts.

Meeting adjourned for the day at 5:10 p.m.


Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Meeting opened at 10:30 a.m.

7 members represented: Netflix, Adobe, Apple, MS, IBM, Google, UCB

D.7 Indic consonant letters
D.7.1 Visual ambiguity involving Indic consonant letters [Constable, L2/17-365]

[153-C22] Consensus: Incorporate text based on document L2/17-365 into the core specification for Unicode 11.0.

[153-A33] Action Item for Peter Constable and the Editorial Committee: Incorporate text based on doc L2/17-365 into the core specification for Unicode 11.0.

[153-A34] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Document in Proposed Update UTS #39 that virama followed by ZWJ followed by IndicSyllabicCategory=Vowel Dependent, and describe how to check for that sequence, for Unicode 11.0.

[153-A35] Action Item for Mark Davis: Communicate the prior action 153-A34 regarding UTS #39 to the ICU team.

C.16 Support of glyph change for both Mtavruli and Mkhedruli AIN [Razmadze, et al, L2/17-391]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.4 Mongolian C.4.1 Considerations on Mongolian Code Chart [Suignard, L2/17-368]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.14 Properties B.14.1 About Script names in the code charts [Silva, L2/17-293]

[153-A36] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Review input in L2/17-293.

C.17 Proposal for additions to the Miao script [Cheuk, L2/17-345] C.17.1 Nukta for Miao

[153-C23] Consensus: Change the name of U+16F4F from MIAO SIGN NUKTA to MIAO SIGN CONSONANT MODIFIER BAR.

[153-A37] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the Pipeline to include name change for U+16F4F MIAO SIGN CONSONANT MODIFIER BAR.

Lunch break.

E.1.5 Gender emoji strategy [ESC/Davis, Burge, L2/17-374]

On Phone: Judy Safran-Aasen, Ned Holbrook, Matthieu Credou.

[153-C24] Consensus: The UTC supports the general prioritization among gender neutral emoji additions in document L2/17-374. The UTC would like to see the level of usage of CHILD, ADULT, and OLDER ADULT before adding additional gender neutral sequences.

B.15.1.1. Ad hoc recommendations for emoji characters in Unicode 11+ [Emoji Ad Hoc, L2/17-400]

[153-C25] Consensus: Make all recommended name and code point changes for draft candidate emoji repertoire covered by document L2/17-400.

[153-A38] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the Pipeline to include code point changes for draft candidate emoji repertoire covered by document L2/17-400.

[153-A39] Action Item for Peter Edberg and Jeremy Burge: Respond to Michael Everson regarding glyph changes as summarized in L2/17-400.

[153-A40] Action Item for Jeremy Burge and Lisa Moore: Draft a response on WG2 feedback in L2/17-393 and forward a short message to WG2 list (see L2/17-400).

[153-C26] Consensus: Add HINDU TEMPLE and DIVING MASK AND SNORKEL to the provisional candidates list (see L2/17-380R, page 2).

[153-A41] Action Item for Mark Davis and Jeremy Burge: Add HINDU TEMPLE and DIVING MASK AND SNORKEL to the emoji provisional candidates list.

B.15.1.2. L2/17-401 Emoji Ad Hoc Recommendations for 6.0

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.16 Other
B.16.1 Clarify handling of ill-formed UTF-8 [Scherer, L2/17-344]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11 Public Review Issues
B.11.1 Issue 355: Proposed Update UAX #29 Unicode Text Segmentation
B.11.1.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-364]

[153-A42] Action Item for Mark Davis: Review UAX #29 based on feedback from Tsuyoshi Ito in L2/17-364.

[153-A43] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Tsuyoshi Ito to thank him for his feedback on PRI #355.

[153-A44] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to David Corbett to thank him for his feedback on PRI #355.

[153-A45] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader and Mark Davis: Review data on Indic scripts (including Sinhala) described in the feedback for UAX #29 in L2/17-364 and come up with a proposal to narrow the scope of the rules (GB9c and property values) for the January UTC.

[153-A46] Action Item for Mark Davis: Flesh out discussion of "ignore degenerates" in UAX #29, specifically whether it is permissible to break on script boundaries, for Unicode 11.0.

B.16.1 Clarify handling of ill-formed UTF-8 [Scherer, L2/17-344]

[153-A47] Action Item for Markus Scherer, Editorial Committee: Update the core specification based on L2/17-344R2 for Unicode version 11.0.

D.3 Devanagari
D.3.1 Special rendering of Rya in Devanagari [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-309]

[153-A48] Action Item for Liang Hai and Editorial Committee: Incorporate info from L2/17-309 into the core specification for Unicode version 11.0.

[153-A49] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Respond to the proposal authors of L2/17-309.

D.10 Reconsidering the glyph change of Vedic signs Jihvamuliya and Upadhmaniya [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-319]

[153-A50] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the action for the glyph erratum (152-A30) for U+1CF6 VEDIC SIGN UPADHMANIYA and U+1CF5 VEDIC SIGN JIHVAMULIYA, based on the script ad hoc report L2/17-384.

[153-C27] Consensus: Add Bengali to the set of scripts in the ScriptExtensions property for U+1CF5 and U+1CF6 for Unicode version 11.0.

[153-A51] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Update the ScriptExtensions property for U+1CF5 and U+1CF6 for Unicode version 11.0

[153-C28] Consensus: Assign the Indic_Syllabic_Category for U+1CF5 and U+1CF6 to be Consonant_With_Stacker for Unicode version 11.0.

[153-A52] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Assign the Indic_Syllabic_Category for U+1CF5 and U+1CF6 to be Consonant_With_Stacker for Unicode version 11.0.

[153-A53] Action Item for Deborah Anderson, Editorial Committee: Make updates to the Bengali section of the core specification, documenting the behavior described in L2/17-384 for Unicode version 11.0.

[153-A54] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Follow up with authors of L2/17-319 regarding questions on page 7 of the script ad hoc recommendations (L2/17-384).

C.7.2 Proposal to encode some Hamza Quranic marks [Begmatov, L2/17-215]
C.7.2.1 Recommendations on additional Wasla proposition (L2/17-215) – Azzeddine Lazrek

[153-A55] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Begmatov that UTC reviewed his document L2/17-215 and took no action. Refer him to the script ad hoc recommendations L2/17-255.

[153-A56] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Respond to Azzeddine Lazrek regarding Wasla. See document L2/17-215. See script ad hoc recommendations (L2/17-384)

Meeting adjourned for the day at 5:30 p.m.


Thursday, October 25, 2017

Meeting opened at 9:43 a.m.

6 Members represented: Adobe, UCB, MS (proxy), Apple, IBM, Google

C.14 Results of the ad-hoc meeting on Shuishu in Hohhot, 2017-09-21 [Everson, et al, L2/17-336]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.3 Proposal to encode the Elymaic script in Unicode [Pandey, L2/17-226]

[153-C29] Consensus: Accept 23 Elymaic characters from U+10EC0..U+10ED6 in block Elymaic U+10EC0..U+10EDF, with properties as given in L2/17-226R2 for a future version of the standard.

[153-A57] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the Pipeline to include 23 Elymaic characters from U+10EC0..U+10ED6 in block Elymaic U+10EC0..U+10EDF.

[153-A58] Action Item for Anshuman Pandey: Provide a font to Michel Suignard for Elymaic.

[153-A59] Action Item for Anshuman Pandey: Update the proposal L2/17-226 with a proposal summary form and send it to Rick McGowan and Michel Suignard for posting.

[153-A60] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add Elymaic to the document requesting new additions.

C.8 Proposal to encode Ottoman Siyaq Numbers in Unicode [Pandey, L2/17-348]

[153-C30] Consensus: Accept 61 Ottoman Siyaq Numbers from U+1ED01..U+1ED3D in block Ottoman Siyaq Numbers U+1ED00..U+1ED4F with properties as given in L2/17-348 for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[153-A61] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the Pipeline to include 61 Ottoman Siyaq Numbers from U+1ED01..U+1ED3D in block Ottoman Siyaq Numbers U+1ED00..U+1ED4F.

[153-A62] Action Item for Anshuman Pandey: Provide a font to Michel Suignard for Ottoman Siyaq Numbers.

[153-A63] Action Item for Anshuman Pandey: Update the proposal L2/17-348 with a proposal summary form and send it to Rick McGowan and Michel Suignard for posting.

[153-A64] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add 61 Ottoman Siyaq Numbers to the document requesting new additions. See L2/17-348.

C.18. Wancho
C.18.2 Corrections to two Wancho character names [Everson, L2/17-388R]

[153-C31] Consensus: Change the names of two Wancho letters from U+1E2E8 WANCHO LETTER AN and U+1E2EA WANCHO LETTER UN to: U+1E2E8 WANCHO LETTER AAN and U+1E2EA WANCHO LETTER UEN.

[153-A65] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the Pipeline to include name changes for two Wancho letters. See above consensus 153-C31.

B.1.3.1.1.1. Names of A7BA to A7BF

[153-C32] Consensus: Change the following names:

	U+A7BA LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH SPIRITUS LENIS to LATIN CAPITAL LETTER GLOTTAL A
	U+A7BB LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH SPIRITUS LENIS to LATIN SMALL LETTER GLOTTAL A
	U+A7BC LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH SPIRITUS LENIS to LATIN CAPITAL LETTER EGYPTOLOGICAL YOD
	U+A7BD LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH SPIRITUS LENIS to LATIN SMALL LETTER EGYPTOLOGICAL YOD
	U+A7BE LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH SPIRITUS LENIS to LATIN CAPITAL LETTER GLOTTAL U
	U+A7BF LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH SPIRITUS LENIS to LATIN SMALL LETTER GLOTTAL U

[153-A66] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the Pipeline to include name changes for 6 Latin letters for Ugaritic and Egyptian transliteration. See above consensus 153-C32.

C.15.1 Proposal to add six Latin Tironian letters to the UCS [Everson, West, L2/17-359]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.19. Preliminary proposal for encoding the Vithkuqi script (WG2 N4854)

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.5. Evidence of diaeresis in Armenian [Yury Golev, Deborah Anderson, L2/17-315]

[153-A67] Action Item for Deborah Anderson, Editorial Committee: Update the Armenian section of the core spec for Unicode version 11.0, based on information in L2/17-315.

C.20. Two distinct code points: DECIMAL SEPARATOR and FULL STOP [Dario Schiavon L2/17-324]

[153-C33] Consensus: The UTC does not support encoding a separate decimal separator character distinct from U+002E full stop.

[153-A68] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Steven Loomis, Editorial Committee: Create a non-approval notice for the above consensus 153-C33.

C.2.1. L2/17-297 Follow up to L2/17-188 (On the name and display of tally marks) – Eduardo Marín Silva

[153-A69] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Provide feedback to the author, ccing Ken Lunde.

[153-A70] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add an annotation to the names list for U+1D377 TALLY MARK ONE and U+1D378 TALLY MARK FIVE

B.11.4 Issue 358: Proposed Update UTS #10, Unicode Collation Algorithm
B.11.4.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-364]
B.11.4.2 Document for review PRI 358

No feedback was received.

[153-A71] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Extend PRI #358 to close January 15, 2018.

B.11.3 Issue 357: Proposed Update UAX #44, Unicode Character Database
B.11.3.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-364]

No feedback was received.

[153-A72] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Extend PRI #357 to close January 15, 2018.

A.6 Calendar review

UTC Meeting 2019 is scheduled for April 29 - May 3, 2019.

B.1.1.2.3 Script Encoding Initiative Liaison report (to WG2) [Anderson]

Oral report by Deborah Anderson.

B.9 Unicode Locales Project (CLDR)
B.9.1 Liaison report [Davis, Edberg]

Oral report by Mark Davis.

B.10 Unicode Localization Interoperability (ULI)
B.10.1 Liaison report [Loomis] L2/17-402

Oral report by Steven Loomis.

B.8 ICU
B.8.1 Liaison report [Umaoke, Scherer]

Oral report by Markus Scherer.

B.9.2 Unicode release schedules

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.7.1 Proposal to Encode Additional Wasla Characters for the Holy Quran [Lazrek, L2/17-252]

[153-A73] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Put L2/17-252 on agenda for next meeting.

C.7.3 Proposal for the encoding of three Arabic tanween characters [Muller, L2/17-377]

[153-A74] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Put L2/17-377 on the agenda for next meeting.

C.9 Proposal to add standardized variation sequences [Lunde, L2/17-056]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.15 Ad hoc reports
B.15.1 Emoji
B.15.1.2 [L2/17-401] Ad hoc recommendations for emoji 6.0

Emoji discussion.

On Phone: Megan O'Neill, Peter Constable, Judy Safran-Aasen, Roozbeh Pournader, Agustin Fonts

[153-A75] Action Item for Peter Edberg, Mark Davis: Make it clear in UTS #51 version 6 that the repertoire of emoji is synched with Unicode 11.0.

[153-C34] Consensus: Accept Emoji Ad Hoc recommendations for emoji 6.0 in document L2/17-401.

[153-A76] Action Item for Mark Davis: Incorporate the ad hoc recommendations in L2/17-401 into the draft emoji property files and the draft candidates list for 6.0.

B.11.2 Issue #356: Proposed Update UTS #51, Unicode Emoji
B.11.2.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-364]

[153-A77] Action Item for Jeremy Burge, Emoji Subcommittee: Review the feedback on UTS #51 from David Corbett in L2/17-364, and make a recommendation for the January UTC.

[153-A78] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to David Corbett that his feedback in L2/17-364 is being reviewed.

B.11.6 Other feedback
B.11.6.1.1 Prior general feedback [L2/17-224]

[153-C35] Consensus: Change U+29A1 SPHERICAL ANGLE OPENING UP to Bidi_Mirrored = No for Unicode version 11.0.

[153-A79] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update U+29A1 in UnicodeData.txt for Unicode 11.0.

[153-A80] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Remove the comment for U+29A1 in BidiMirroring.txt.

[153-C36] Consensus: Make U+2220 and U+29A3, U+2221 and U+299B be BidiMirroring pairs for Unicode version 11.0.

[153-A81] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update U+2220 and U+29A3, U+2221 and U+299B in BidiMirroring.txt for Unicode version 11.0.

[153-A82] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader, Murray Sargent: Check BidiMirroring.txt for other possible pair mappings (multi-map).

[153-A83] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Marcel Schneider and thank him for his feedback (in L2/17-224).

[153-A84] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Andrew M feedback of July 24, 2017, that his comment in L2/17-224 on Emoji_Component was done.

[153-A85] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Respond to Adam Borowski regarding his comment in in L2/17-224.

[153-C37] Consensus: Create a proposed update for UAX #11 that acknowledges the problem raised by Adam Borowski in L2/17-224 for Unicode version 11.0.

[153-A86] Action Item for Ken Lunde and Editorial Committee: Prepare a proposed update for UAX #11 for Unicode version 11.0.

[153-A87] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post the proposed update for UAX #11 to close January 15, 2018.

[153-A88] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Add comments about U+102F and U+1030 in IndicPositionalCategory.txt, based on L2/17-224.

[153-A89] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Ask Richard Wordingham to please give better evidence for U+1A69 TAI THAM VOWEL SIGN U and U+1A6A TAI THAM VOWEL SIGN UU, with better examples of their variable placement (see his feedback in L2/17-224).

[153-A90] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add an annotation "cryptocurrency" to BITCOIN for Unicode version 11.0.

[153-A91] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Eduardo Marín Silva that we accepted his comment dated June 14, 2017 in L2/17-224 regarding addition of a Bitcoin informative note.

[153-A92] Action Item for Rick McGowan, Editorial Committee: Create a glyph erratum for Brahmi U+11003 and U+11004 based on feedback by Shriramana Sharma dated May 8, 2017 in L2/17-224.

[153-A93] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Respond to Shriramana Sharma that we accommodated his comment from May 8, 2017 in L2/17-224.

[153-A94] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Update section 12.8 of the core specification regarding the Kannada glyphs, based on feedback from Shriramana Sharma dated May 8, 2017 in L2/17-224.

[153-A95] Action Item for Ken Lunde, Editorial Committee: Add additional text to section 24.2 of the core specification based on item 2 of Henry Chan's feedback on June 29, 2017 in L2/17-224.

[153-A96] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Reply to Henry Chan's feedback in L2/17-224.

[153-A97] Action Item for Markus Scherer: Respond to Johannes Athmer that what he recommends regarding the mapping for SHARP S in his comment dated July 4, 2017 in L2/17-224 is not something we can do and it is not clear it is the right approach.

[153-A98] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Respond to Marcel Schneider about the two pieces of Marcel's feedback dated July 21, 2017 in L2/17-224.

B.11.6.1.2 General feedback [L2/17-364]

[153-A99] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to David Corbett to thank him for his feedback dated August 9, 2017 in L2/17-364 on Anglicana w.

[153-A100] Action Item for Peter Edberg, Emoji Subcommittee: Review Christoph Päper's feedback from August 17, 2017 in L2/17-364 on the Categories of Emoji Draft Candidates and thank him for submitting his comments.

[153-A101] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Relay feedback in L2/17-364 on Naxi Dongba proposal (L2/17-339) to Mr. Chen and CC Michael Everson.

[153-A102] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Thank David Corbett for his feedback in L2/17-364.

[153-A103] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Respond to Eduardo Marín Silva about his feedback on Lao glyphs and names in L2/17-364, saying UTC is working on the glyphs but do not think we should change the names.

[153-A104] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Respond to Eduardo Marín Silva about his feedback in L2/17-364 that the confusability with Kannada jihvamuliya is not a problem as we have updated the glyph for VEDIC SIGN JIHVAMULIYA. Ask him to clarify what he is asking for in his second point, and provide more information.

[153-A105] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Respond to Eduardo Marín Silva about his October 7, 2017 feedback in L2/17-364 that we have removed PAWNS from the names based on the WG2 discussion, and will put information in the annotations.

[153-A106] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Check cross-references and aliases mentioned in Eduardo Marín Silva's feedback in L2/17-364.

[153-A107] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Respond to Eduardo Marín Silva regarding his feedback in L2/17-364 dated October 7, 2017, that we have not approved DOUBLE OBLIQUE HYPHEN WITH FALLING DOTS, and have asked for more clarification from the author.

[153-A108] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Respond to Eduardo Marín Silva regarding his feedback in L2/17-364 on the Newa anusvara glyph that his feedback is noted. If someone provides a better design we will use it, but there is nothing to do now.

[153-C38] Consensus: Change the name of U+1F96F SLICED BAGEL to BAGEL.

[153-A109] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Eduardo Marín Silva to thank him for his feedback on "Feedback on New emoji" dated October 8, 2017 in L2/17-364.

[153-A110] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the Pipeline to include name change for U+1F96F BAGEL.

[153-A111] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to David Corbett that we are reviewing his input contained in L2/17-364 on the Indic_Syllabic_Category of Newa jihvamuliya and upadhmaniya in L2/17-369.

[153-A112] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Respond to Eduardo Marín Silva regarding his October 12, 2017 feedback in L2/17-364 on the Khitan Small Script block size, noting that the encoding model for Khitan Small Script is not settled and is not near publication. The location for the Miao nukta is not worth moving, but thank him for his input.

[153-A113] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader, Editorial Committee: Provide text for core specification on Kashmiri based on his feedback dated October 18, 2017 in L2/17-364.

[153-A114] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: File a ticket on CLDR to make sure the Kashmiri numbering system and exemplars are correct.

[153-A115] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to David Corbett to thank him on his October 19, 2017 feedback in L2/17-364. If a decision is eventually made to add Basque flag to RGI, then the correct encoding will be used.

[153-C39] Consensus: Change the properties of U+267E Permanent Paper Sign to Emoji equals Yes, and add the appropriate two lines to emoji-variation-sequences.txt in Emoji 6.0.

[153-A116] Action Item for Mark Davis: Update the emoji datafiles and charts according to L2/17-400 for Emoji 6.0.

Meeting adjourned at 5:30 p.m.


Friday, October 27, 2017

6 members represented: Adobe, Apple, MS, UCB, IBM, Google

B.11.6.1.2 General feedback [L2/17-364]

[153-A117] Action Item for Peter Edberg: Review feedback from Christoph Paeper of Oct 20, 2017, on hair color and style, and feedback on ISO character requests.

[153-A118] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Point Christoph Paeper at document L2/17-401 regarding his feedback of October 20, 2017. The emoji subcommittee will also review a number of his comments.

[153-A119] Action Item for Mark Davis: Take into account feedback from Timothy Gu when updating the UTS #46 conformance test file.

[153-A120] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to feedback from Timothy Gu and point to the above action 153-A119 and L2/17-176 (UTC #152) for information. See L2/17-364.

[153-A121] Action Item for John Jenkins: Implement the suggestions in Ken Lunde's feedback of August 10, 2017, in the additions prior to version 6.3.0:952, for Unicode 11.0. See L2/17-364.

[153-A122] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Respond to Pedro Navarro's feedback on UTR #50 property of September 28,2017. See L2/17-364.

[153-A123] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Forward the last paragaph of Marcel Schneider's July 30, 2017 feedback on 11BD2 NANDINAGARI SIGN SIDDHAM to Michel Suignard. See L2/17-364.

[153-A124] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Kent Karlsson's feedback of August 2, 2017 (on inappropriate remark). UTC declines to take any action. See L2/17-364.

[153-A125] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader, Liang Hai: Review David Corbett's feedback of August 21, 2017. Codepoints: U+0A51 and U+0980. See L2/17-364.

[153-A126] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Work with Martin Hosken and Andrew Glass to specify the order of the Ahom vowel signs. See September 27, 2017 feedback from David Corbett. See L2/17-364.

[153-A126a] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Remove the anotation for U+1093 MYANMAR SIGN VIRAMA for Unicode 11.0.

[153-A127] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to feedback from Brienna Carter in L2/17-364.

A.5.2.1.1 Action Item Review

Discussion of action item 152-A9.

[153-A128] Action Item for Behnam Esfahbod, Mark Davis: Produce a draft policy page for version numbering.

[153-A129] Action Item for Behnam Esfahbod, Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Draft an annex to the TC procedures on versioning of specifications, libraries, and other products.

B.4.8.1 IDS syntax discrepancy between ISO and Unicode [Lunde]

[153-A130] Action Item for Ken Lunde, Editorial Committee: Create a figure for section 18.2 of the core specification detailing the syntactic order of operands for IDS, for Unicode version 11.0.

A.5.1.1 Approve minutes of UTC Meeting 152 [L2/17-222]

[153-C40] Consensus: Approve the minutes of UTS #152.

C.10.1 Design Options for Sutton SignWriting with examples and fonts [Slevenski, L2/17-282]

[153-A131] Action Item for Steven Loomis: Respond to Steve Slevinsky.

B.15.2 Mongolian ad-hoc report

Oral report by Ken Whistler.

B.13.3 Unicode Version 11

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.16.2.1 Emoji Timeline [Davis, L2/17-405]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.1.6 Review of document requesting new additions [Anderson, L2/17-293]

[153-A132] Action Item for Michel Suignard: Review L2/17-400 for possible updates.

B.16.2.1 Emoji Timeline [Davis, L2/17-405]

[153-A133] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg, Editorial Committee: Update UTS #51 to document the version change from 6.0 to 11.0.

[153-A134] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg, Rick McGowan: Change the emoji data files to note the change of version numbers from 6.0 to 11.0.

[153-A135] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg: Update the emoji charts for 6.0 to version 11.0.

[153-A136] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Review the Unicode 11.0 content in development to look for emoji version changes.

[153-A137] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Carry over agenda items to the next UTC: D.2, D.4, D.5, D.6, D.8, D.12, B.16.3, and L2/17-292.

Lunch 12:00 - 1:00

B.1.3.1.2 Additional repertoire for ISO/IEC 10646:2017 (5th ed.) Amendment 1 (DAM1) [WG2/Suignard, L2/17-372]

[153-C41] Consensus: Change the name of U+10F27 OLD SOGDIAN HETEROGRAM AYIN-DALETH to U+10F27 OLD SOGDIAN LIGATURE AYIN-DALETH.

[153-A138] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add name change for U+10F27 to the Pipeline.

B.16.3 L2/17-406

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Thanks to the host.

Meeting adjourned for the week at 1:35.


UTC Attendance

Person Representing
Deborah Anderson U.C. Berkeley
Jeremy Burge Emojipedia
Lee Collins Netflix
Peter Constable Microsoft
Craig Cummings VMware, Inc.
Cecilia Dantas Apple
Mark Davis Google
Behnam Esfahbod self
Peter Edberg Apple
Kara Fong Facebook
Liang Hai self
Ziad Khalidi Microsoft
Jan Kučera self
Dongyuan Liu Apple
Steven Loomis IBM
Ken Lunde Adobe
Kamal Mansour Monotype
Rick McGowan Unicode
Karan Misra Apple
Lisa Moore Unicode
Andrew Post self
Roozbeh Pournader Google
Murray Sargent Microsoft
Markus Scherer Google
Alolita Sharma self
Jugu Sundar IBM
Michel Suignard Unicode
Tex Texin Xencraft
Greg Welch self
Ken Whistler Unicode
Ben Yang Long Now
   
By Phone
Matthiew Credou BZH
Sharon Correll SIL
Lorna Evans SIL
Agustin Fonts Google
Bob Hallissy SIL
Ned Holbrook Apple
John Jenkins Apple
Kristi Lee Microsoft
Jennifer 8. Lee Emojination
Tom Moore Microsoft
Megan O'Neill Paypal
William Overington self
Judy Safran-Aasen Microsoft
   

Members Represented

Full Member 10/23 10/24 10/25 10/26 10/27
1. Adobe Systems, Inc. yes yes yes yes yes
2. Apple, Inc. yes yes yes yes yes
3. Facebook          
4. Google, Inc. yes yes yes yes yes
5. Huawei          
6. IBM Corporation yes yes yes yes yes
7. Microsoft Corporation yes yes yes yes (proxy) yes (proxy)
8. Netflix yes yes yes yes  
9. Oracle America, Inc.          
10. SAP AG          
11. Sultanate of Oman, MARA          
           
Institutional Member          
1. Bangladesh, MSICT          
2. Tamil Nadu, TVA          
3. UCB yes yes yes yes yes
           
Supporting Member          
1. Emojipedia yes yes yes yes  
2. Monotype Imaging Corp     yes    
           
Associate Member          
1. Emojination   yes yes yes  
2. Emoji One          
           
Individual Member          
1. Craig Cummings yes yes yes yes yes
2. Jeremy Burge yes yes yes    
3. Jan Kučera yes   yes    
4. Jennifer Lee   yes yes yes  
           

 

Members not in regular attendance: Bangladesh, Huawei, Tamil Nadu, Oracle, SAP

Total full members in regular attendance: 8

Total institutional members in regular attendance: 2

Total supporting members in regular attendance: 1

Quorum: 5.5