L2/18-115

Draft Minutes of UTC Meeting 155
San José, CA — April 30 - May 4, 2018
Hosted by Adobe

UTC #155 Agenda
Revision date: May 8, 2018


Monday, April 30, 2018

Meeting opened at 10:30.

7 members represented: Adobe, IBM, MS, Apple, FB, UCB, Google

9.5 members in regular attendance. Quorum is 5.

A.5.2.1 Review of open action items [L2/SD2]

A.5.1 Approval of minutes
A.5.1.1Approve UTC Meeting 154 [L2/18-007]

[155-C1] Consensus: Approve minutes of UTS #154 as documented in L2/18-007.

[155-C2] Consensus: Approve all the unapproved UTC minutes from meeting #120 - #152.

[155-A1] Action Item for Lisa Moore, Ken Whistler: Update the website and links as appropriate for UTC minutes from meeting #120 - #152.

UTC #160 July 22-26, 2019. Tentatively hosted by Microsoft.
UTC #161 Oct 7 -11, 2019. Hosted by Apple.
IUC Oct 16-18, 2019.

Short break 11:25 - 11:35.

Emojipedia now present. 7.5 members represented.

B.11.1 Issue 355: Proposed Update UAX #29 Unicode Text Segmentation
B.11.1.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]
B.11.1.2 Document for review [Davis, L2/18-147]

[155-C3] Consensus: Change the Word_Break property for U+055B, U+055C, and U+055E to ALetter for Unicode 11.0.

[155-A2] Action Item for Mark Davis: Update WordBreak property for U+055B, U+055C, and U+055E to ALetter for Unicode 11.0.

[155-A3] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Update UAX #29 Table 3 with the changes to ALetter property for U+055B, U+055C, and U+055E.

[155-A4] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Prepare a PUA UAX #29 for Unicode 12.0 including Armenian Punctuation U+055A, U+055F, U+058A; and characters from the blocks Modifier Tone Letters and Modifier Spacing Letters.

[155-A5] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to David Corbett re disposition of feedback on PRI #355, as above.

[155-A6] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Add a review note to PU UAX #29 for Unicode 12.0 asking whether the fullwidth presentation forms of comma and semicolon should be in MidNum (NFKC variants of comma and semicolon and ASCII semicolon).

[155-A7] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg, Ken Whistler: Draft a document that outlines considerations for making the emoji properties part of the UCD in Unicode 12.0.

Lunch 12:30 - 13:30.

[155-A8] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to feedback in PRI #355 from Daniel Bünzli, Karl Williamson, Asmus Freytag.

On Phone: Judy Safran-Aasen

E.1.1 ESC Recommendations for 2018Q2 UTC [ESC, L2/18-143]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Short break.

E.1.2 Emoji Colors [ESC, L2/18-141]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.1 Issue 355: Proposed Update UAX #29 Unicode Text Segmentation

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.3 Issue 357: Proposed Update UAX #44, Unicode Character Database
B.11.3.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]

[155-A9] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Extend description of the "Extender" property in UAX #44 based on feedback from David Corbett in PRI #357, for Unicode 11.0.

B.11.6 Issue 360: Proposed Update UAX #11, East Asian Width
B.11.6.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]
B.11.6.2 Document for review [Lunde, et al, L2/18-152]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.9 Issue 368: Proposed Update UAX #9, Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm
B.11.9.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]
B.11.9.2 Document for review [Davis, et al, L2/18-155]

[155-A10] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to David Corbett's feedback in PRI #368.

B.11.10 Issue 369: Proposed Update UAX #50, Unicode Vertical Text Layout
B.11.10.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]
B.11.10.2 Document for review [Ishii, Lunde, L2/18-156]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.11 Issue 370: Proposed Update UAX #15, Unicode Normalization Forms B.11.11.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117] B.11.11.2 Document for review [Davis, Whistler, L2/18-157]

[155-A11] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to David Corbett's feedback on PRI #370.

B.11.12 Issue 371: Proposed Update UAX #41, Common references for Unicode Standard Annexes
B.11.12.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]
B.11.12.2 Document for review [Iancu, McGowan, L2/18-158]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.14 Issue 373: Proposed Update UAX #31, Unicode Identifier and Pattern Syntax
B.11.14.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]
B.11.14.2 Document for review [Davis, L2/18-159]

[155-C4] Consensus: Move Mongolian from Table 7, Limited Use Scripts, to Table 4, Candidate Characters for Exclusion from Identifiers, in UAX #31 for Unicode 11.0, pending resolution of architectural issues. See documents L2/18-107, L2/18-101.

[155-A12] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Move Mongolian from Table 7, Limited Use Scripts, to Table 4, Table 4, Candidate Characters for Exclusion from Identifiers, in UAX #31, for Unicode 11.0.

[155-A13] Action Item for Michel Suignard: Relay the recategorization of Mongolian in UAX #31 (Table 4) for Unicode 11.0 to ICANN.

[155-A14] Action Item for Liang Hai: Communicate the above decision to Liang Jin Bao.

Meeting adjourned for the day at 17:40.


Tuesday, May 01, 2018

Happy Beltane.

Meeting opened at 9:40.

7 members represented: Adobe, IBM, MS, FB, UCB, Google, Apple

D.7.2 Proposal to encode the END OF TEXT MARK for Malayalam [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/18-015]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.15 Medefaidrin corrections for 11.0 [Ekpenyon, et al, L2/18-142]

[155-C5] Consensus: Add four formal name aliases of type "correction" to Medefaidrin characters, for Unicode 11.0:

U+16E56 MEDEFAIDRIN CAPITAL LETTER H
U+16E76 MEDEFAIDRIN SMALL LETTER H
U+16E57 MEDEFAIDRIN CAPITAL LETTER NG
U+16E77 MEDEFAIDRIN SMALL LETTER NG

[155-A15] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update NameAliases.txt for Unicode 11.0 to add four Medefaidrin characters. See above consensus 155-C5.

[155-A16] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add an annotation to U+16E99 MEDEFAIDRIN SYMBOL AIVA.

B.11.15 Issue 374: Proposed Update UTS #39, Unicode Security Mechanisms
B.11.15.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]
B.11.15.2 Document for review [Davis, Suignard, L2/18-160]

Short break, 10:30 - 10:40.

[155-A17] Action Item for Mark Davis: Regenerate UTS #39 data to pick up the changes from UAX #31 for Mongolian, for Unicode 11.0.

[155-C6] Consensus: Approve UTS #39 for publication, with updates based on feedback received during the meeting.

[155-A18] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Prepare UTS #39 for publication.

[155-A19] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #374.

B.11.16 Issue 375: Proposed Update UTS #46, Unicode IDNA Compatibility Processing
B.11.16.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]
B.11.16.2 Document for review [Davis, Suignard, L2/18-161]

[155-A20] Action Item for Michel Suignard: Draft a document outlining proposed changes to UTS #46.

[155-A21] Action Item for Mark Davis: Make sure the test file format documentation is in one place in the header of the data file for UTS #46 for Unicode 11.0.

[155-A22] Action Item for Mark Davis: Point out usage of U+FFFD and see if any additional empty sets need to be removed from the test file for UTS #46.

[155-A23] Action Item for Mark Davis: Regenerate the UTS #46 test data file for Unicode 11.0.

B.11.4 Issue 358: Proposed Update UTS #10, Unicode Collation Algorithm
B.11.4.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]
B.11.4.2 Document for review [Davis, et al, L2/18-150]

[155-C7] Consensus: Approve UTS #10 for publication.

[155-A24] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Prepare UTS #10 for pulication.

[155-A25] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #358.

Short break.

B.11.17 Issue 376: Proposed Update UAX #14, Unicode Line Breaking Algorithm
B.11.17.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]
B.11.17.2 Document for review [Heninger, L2/18-162]

[155-A26] Action Item for Andy Heninger: Look at feedback from Charlotte Buff and fix the character names as described in the PRI #376 feedback. Remove the first instance of NBHY and change the others to "NON-BREAKING HYPHEN", for Unicode 11.0.

[155-A27] Action Item for Andy Heninger: Change the description of rule LB8a in UAX #14 to match the rule, for Unicode 11.0.

Lunch 12:30 - 13:30, and emoji ad-hoc meeting.

Presentation on maté emoji by Daniela Guini and Maria Florencia Coelho.

E.1.2 Emoji Colors [ESC, L2/18-141]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.1.1 ESC Recommendations for 2018Q2 UTC [ESC, L2/18-143]

Long discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Short break.

D.9 Proposal to encode the Chorasmian script [Pandey, L2/18-164] D.9.1 Roadmap for Chorasmian and Elymaic [Pandey]

[155-C8] Consensus: Move Elymaic Block from U+10EC0..U+10EDF to U+10FE0..U+10FFF, for Unicode 12.0.

[155-A28] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to implement move of Elymaic Block from U+10EC0..U+10EDF to U+10FE0..U+10FFF, for Unicode 12.0.

[155-A29] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add ballot comment about moving Elymaic Block from U+10EC0..U+10EDF to U+10FE0..U+10FFF, for Unicode 12.0.

C.13 Preliminary proposal to encode Old Uyghur in Unicode [Pandey, L2/18-126]

Brief discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.2.1 Script Ad Hoc recommendations to the UTC [Anderson, et al, L2/18-168]
C.11.1 Summary of suggestions and proposals for improvements to the Mongolian phonetic model [Pournader, L2/18-107]
C.11.2 Mongolian Working Group Meeting 2 Report [Moore, L2/18-108]

[155-A30] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader, Liang Hai, Ken Whistler: Update chapter 13.5 and 6.2 of the core specification for Unicode 12.0.

[155-A31] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader, Liang Hai, Ken Whistler: Propose updated linebreak behavior for the glue section of UAX #14, for Unicode 12.0, including use of NNBSP when preceded by non-Mongolian text.

[155-A32] Action Item for Liang Hai: Work with experts from Inner Mongolia to produce a proposal for additional variations sequences for Mongolian and also explain why a fourth FVS is needed.

[155-A33] Action Item for Liang Hai: Communicate with Inner Mongolia on how to encode Mongolian words and how to break ligatures.

[155-A34] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add an annotation to Nameslist to note that TODO SOFT HYPHEN is also used for Hudum, for Unicode 11.0.

[155-A35] Action Item for Lisa Moore, Editorial Committee: Add a note on the TODO SOFT HYPHEN to the Mongolian block description for Unicode 11.0.

[155-A36] Action Item for Liang Hai, Roozbeh Pournader: Look into Script and Script_Extension properties for NNBSP, and potentially create a proposal for changes to the properties.

Meeting adjourned for the day at 17:35.


Wednesday, May 02, 2018

Meeting opened at 9:32.

7 members represented: Adobe, Apple, IBM, FB, Google, Microsoft, UCB, ...

On phone: Peter Constable, Kristi Lee, John Jenkins, Tom Moore.

B.11.19.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]

Discussion of Japanese Era name.

[155-A37] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Communicate with Japan NB about new era character.

B.11.7 Issue 361: Proposed Update UAX #38, Unicode Han Database (Unihan)
B.11.7.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]

[155-A38] Action Item for Michel Suignard: Remove the Hong Kong Cross reference for U+5344.

[155-A39] Action Item for John Jenkins: Remove HG, Big 5 and CNS Properties for U+5344.

[155-A40] Action Item for Peter Edberg: Convey to the CLDR-TC the feedback in March 13 error report in L2/18-117, and convey results back to UTC.

[155-A41] Action Item for John Jenkins, Richard Cook: Send 3/22/18 error report in L2/18-117 to Taiwan for their review.

[155-A42] Action Item for John Jenkins: Update Unihan based on March 30 and April 14 feedback in L2/18-117.

[155-A43] Action Item for John Jenkins: Add sources and update or remove links in UAX #38 for Unicode 11.0.

B.11.7.1.2 Proposed kIRG_GSource Changes & Corrections [Lunde, L2/18-065]
B.11.7.1.3 Proposed kMainlandTelegraph changes [Chung, L2/18-096]

[155-A44] Action Item for John Jenkins: Consider changes proposed in L2/18-096 for Unicode 12.0.

B.11.7.1.4 Redefining kDefaultSortKey in UAX #38 [Jenkins, L2/18-118]

[155-A45] Action Item for John Jenkins: Create a Proposed Update UAX #38 for Unicode 12.0 that includes the 64-bit version of the algorithm and with key anonymous that is discussed in document L2/18-118.

[155-A46] Action Item for John Jenkins: Create a sample set of radical/stroke charts of IICore based on the new algorithm.

B.11.8 Issue 362: Proposed Update UAX #45, U-source Ideographs
B.11.8.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]

[155-A47] Action Item for John Jenkins: Reference the 2015 IRG working set in section 1, item 4, for Unicode 11.0 and re-word the text about orphaned ideographs.

B.11.8.1.2 Proposal to add 2 new UAX#45 characters [Chan, L2/18-064]

[155-A48] Action Item for John Jenkins: Add two CJK characters to UAX #45, based on document L2/18-064, for Unicode 12.0 with status N.

B.11.8.1.3 Request to add nine U-source ideographs [Chung, L2/18-097]

[155-A49] Action Item for John Jenkins: Add nine CJK characters to UAX #45, based on document L2/18-097, for Unicode 12.0 with status N.

B.11.8.1.4 Proposed data changes for Fenn-sourced UAX #45 ideographs [Nelson, L2/18-134]

[155-A50] Action Item for John Jenkins: Confirm and update the status and codepoints in USourceData.txt for the five characters in the second table of document L2/18-134, for Unicode 11.0.

[155-A51] Action Item for John Jenkins: Submit the five characters in the second table of document L2/18-134 to the IRG for a horizontal extension.

[155-A52] Action Item for John Jenkins, Richard Cook: Discuss the four characters in table 1 of document L2/18-134 and follow up appropriately.

B.3.1.2 Proposal to remove the UCS2003 representative glyphs from the Extension B code charts [Lunde, Chan, L2/18-063]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.3.1.3 Proposed kIICore Changes & Additions [Lunde, L2/18-066]

[155-A53] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Encapsulate the rationale in an update of document L2/18-066.

B.3.1.3.1 Comment on IRG N2298 & L2/18-066 (Proposed kIICore Changes & Additions) [Chung, L2/18-071]

[155-A54] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Suggest use of tag "X" for IICore items that have no region at that priority and exclude in L2/18-066 for kIICore changes and additions.

B.4.2 Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for various punctuation [Lunde, L2/18-073]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.4.3 Extend the EquivalentUnifiedIdeograph property to three Suzhou numerals and give formal aliases to all Suzhou numerals and 12 unified ideographs [Silva, L2/18-082]

[155-A55] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to author of L2/18-082 that the UTC declined to take any action on this proposal.

Lunch 12:30 - 13:30.

C.12 Cluster Formation Model for Khitan Small Script [West, L2/18-121]

[155-A56] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to author of L2/18-121.

C.14 Proposal to encode two additional Zanabazar Square letters (WG2 N4945) [West, L2/18-132]

[155-A57] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to author of L2/18-132.

B.11.2 Issue 356: Proposed Update UTS #51, Unicode Emoji
B.11.2.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]
B.11.2.2 Document for review [Davis, Edberg, L2/18-148]

On Phone: Jennifer 8. Lee

[155-A58] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to feedback from Asif Ansari (Sun Jan 28 03:38:12 CST 2018).

[155-A59] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Forward Charlotte Buff's feedback on PRI #356 (Sat Feb 17 08:07:35 CST 2018) to emoji subcommittee and respond to sender.

[155-A60] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg: Make it clear in UTS #51 for Emoji 12.0 that the term 'FACE' in an emoji animal name does not impose requirements on the glyph design.

[155-A61] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg, Emoji Subcommittee: Create a FAQ regarding the term "face" in an emoji character name.

[155-A62] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to feedback from Christoph Päper on PRI #356 (Wed Feb 28 04:22:57 CST 2018). Actions are being added, see above, regarding the term face.

[155-A63] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Forward feedback from Marius Spix on PRI #356 (Tue Apr 10 00:50:37 CDT 2018) to emoji subcommittee.

[155-A64] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to thank Marius Spix for feedback on PRI #356 (Tue Apr 10 00:50:37 CDT 2018).

[155-A65] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg, Editorial Committee: Make the list in section 2.1 of UTS #51 be a table with the addition of formal Unicode character names, for UTS version 12.0, and adjust inline references as necessary to have both names.

[155-A66] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Charlotte Buff feedback on PRI #356 (Wed Apr 11 09:02:06 CDT 2018).

[155-A67] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to feedback from Nobuoka Yuya on PRI #356 (Sun Apr 29 09:08:09 CDT 2018).

[155-A68] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Forward feedback from Christoph Päper on PRI #356 (Tue Apr 17 08:59:49 CDT 2018) to the emoji subcommittee.

B.11.5 Issue 359: Proposed Draft UTR #53, Unicode Arabic Mark Ordering Algorithm
B.11.5.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]
B.11.5.1.2 PRI 359 Disposition of feedback [Hallissy, Evans, L2/18-109]

[155-C9] Consensus: Publish a draft of UTS #53 after making updates based on feedback received during discussion.

[155-A69] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader, Lorna Evans, Bob Hallissy: Review U+08D3 ARABIC SMALL LOW WAW for possible inclusion in the MCM list in UTR #53.

[155-A70] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #359.

[155-A71] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader, Lorna Evans, Bob Hallissy: Create a working draft revision 3 of UTR #53.

C.3.3 Proposal to encode additional Arabic script characters for Hausa to the UCS [Evans, Warren-Rothlin, L2/18-094]

[155-C10] Consensus: Add U+08C3 ARABIC LETTER GHAIN WITH THREE DOTS ABOVE and U+08C4 ARABIC LETTER AFRICAN QAF WITH THREE DOTS ABOVE with properties as given in document L2/18-094, for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[155-A72] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+08C3 ARABIC LETTER GHAIN WITH THREE DOTS ABOVE and U+08C4 ARABIC LETTER AFRICAN QAF WITH THREE DOTS ABOVE.

[155-A73] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: U+08C3 ARABIC LETTER GHAIN WITH THREE DOTS ABOVE and U+08C4 ARABIC LETTER AFRICAN QAF WITH THREE DOTS ABOVE.

[155-A74] Action Item for Lorna Evans: Send a font to Michel Suignard for U+08C3 ARABIC LETTER GHAIN WITH THREE DOTS ABOVE and U+08C4 ARABIC LETTER AFRICAN QAF WITH THREE DOTS ABOVE.

C.3.1 Proposal to include Hindko alphabets [Shaikh, L2/18-032]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.3.2 Proposal to include Luri alphabets [Mogoei, Shaikh, L2/18-061]

[155-A75] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Forward feedback from the script ad-hoc to the authors of L2/18-061.

Short break.

B.11.13 Issue 372: Unicode 11.0.0 Beta
B.11.13.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time. (The beta 11 feedback will be taken up on Thursday.)

B.11.1 Issue 355: Proposed Update UAX #29, Unicode Text Segmentation
B.11.1.2 Document for review [Davis, L2/18-147]

[155-A76] Action Item for Mark Davis: In UAX #29, delete Virama and LinkingConsonant from Table 2, for Unicode 11.0.

[155-A77] Action Item for Mark Davis: In UAX #29, remove the cluster break property values in the UCD from all generated grapheme cluster data files and PropertyValueAliases.txt for Unicode 11.0.

[155-A78] Action Item for Mark Davis: In UAX #29, remove rule GB9c and adjust the text to deal with those removals, for Unicode 11.0.

[155-A79] Action Item for Mark Davis: In UAX #29, add recommendation to use rules in "the latest version of" CLDR for Indic script languages, for Unicode 11.0.

B.11.16 Issue 375: Proposed Update UTS #46, Unicode IDNA Compatibility Processing

[155-C11] Consensus: Approve UTS #46 for publication with unicode 11.0.

[155-A80] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #375.

[155-A81] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Prepare UTS #46 for publication with Unicode 11.0.

B.11.18 Issue 377: Proposed Update UAX #42, Unicode Character Database in XML

[155-A82] Action Item for Eric Muller: Remove property LinkC and Virama from the attribute GCB for Unicode 11.0.

[155-A83] Action Item for Eric Muller: Review final Unihan regexes for any possible changes. See L2/18-119.

Meeting adjourned for the day at 17:32.


Thursday, May 03, 2018

Meeting opened at 9:43.

7 members represented: Apple, Adobe, FB, IBM (proxy), Google, Microsoft, UCB

B.11.13 Issue 372: Unicode 11.0.0 Beta

[155-A84] Action Item for Andy Heninger, Mark Davis, Deborah Anderson: Investigate PRI #372 feedback from fantasai on "Apparent Sentence_Break miscategorizations" (Thu Mar 8 02:36:01 CST 2018) and make suggestions for Unicode 12.0, for UTC #157, September 17-21, 2018.

[155-A85] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to PRI #372 feedback from Tim Young on "CJK Unified Ideographs additions" (Wed Mar 14 16:51:28 CDT 2018).

[155-A86] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader, Liang Hai: Investigate the "Indic_Syllabic_Category of GURMUKHI SIGN UDAAT" in PRI #372 feedback from David Corbett on (Mon Mar 26 21:25:58 CDT 2018), for Unicode 12.0.

[155-A87] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to PRI #372 feedback from David Corbett on "Indic_Syllabic_Category of GURMUKHI SIGN UDAAT" (Mon Mar 26 21:25:58 CDT 2018).

[155-A88] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Ask Hong Kong to send an updated font to Michel Suignard and Rick McGowan that has a corrected glyph for U+8494 蒔 in the "H" column.

[155-A89] Action Item for Mark Davis: Document extra classes of testing characters in the segmentation text HTML files for 11.0.

[155-A90] Action Item for Mark Davis: Provide customized versions of the headers for the segmentation test files, for Unicode 12.0.

[155-A91] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to PRI #372 feedback from Behnam Esfahbod (Fri Apr 6 20:19:21 CDT 2018).

[155-A92] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Make annotations for SHARP S based on feedback from Marc Lodewijck (Sat Apr 14 15:26:56 CDT 2018) as modified in UTC discussion, for Unicode 11.0.

[155-A93] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Respond to PRI #372 feedback on SHARP S from Marc Lodewijck (Sat Apr 14 15:26:56 CDT 2018).

[155-C12] Consensus: Make U+2BFE REVERSED RIGHT ANGLE have BidiMirroring=YES and a bidi-mirroring pair with U+221F.

[155-A94] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update U+2BFE for BidiMirroring=YES, in UnicodeData.txt and add mirroring pair 221F/2BFE in BidiMirroring.txt.

[155-A95] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Respond to feedback from Marcel Schneider (Tue Apr 24 02:12:15 CDT 2018) on PRI #372 NamedSequencesProv.txt. If he wants to add named sequences, he needs to make a full proposal to UTC with justifications.

[155-A96] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the numeric value of U+1ECA1 INDIC SIYAQ NUMBER KAROR to 10,000,000 (ten million) in the UCD for Unicode 11.0, per feedback from Charlotte Buff (Sun Apr 29 19:37:14 CDT 2018).

[155-A97] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to feedback from Charlotte Buff in PRI #372 on U+1ECA1 INDIC SIYAQ NUMBER KAROR.

[155-A98] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Respond to Marcel Schneider on his feedback for PRI #372.

B.11.19.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]

[155-C13] Consensus: Change U+2B74 CIRCLED COUNTERCLOCKWISE ARROW to U+1F10E and change U+2B75 CIRCLED DOLLAR SIGN WITH OVERLAID BACKSLASH to U+1F10F.

[155-A99] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to Change U+2B74 CIRCLED COUNTERCLOCKWISE ARROW to U+1F10E and change U+2B75 CIRCLED DOLLAR SIGN WITH OVERLAID BACKSLASH to U+1F10F.

[155-A100] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add a note in the request for future additions about changing U+2B74 CIRCLED COUNTERCLOCKWISE ARROW to U+1F10E and U+2B75 CIRCLED DOLLAR SIGN WITH OVERLAID BACKSLASH to U+1F10F.

[155-A101] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Respond to Eduardo Marín Silva and Charlotte Buff about Creative Commons symbols. See general feedback document L2/18-117.

[155-A102] Action Item for Mark Davis, Emoji Subcommittee: Review Charlotte Buff's feedback in L2/18-117 on L2/18-091 ZWJ sequences for couples holding hands.

[155-A103] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Sultan M Saeed's report on OSA in L2/18-117 (Wed Jan 24 07:48:18 CST 2018).

B.11.19.1.2 Comments on Public Review Issues (October 13, 2017 - January 24, 2018) [L2/18-009]

[155-A104] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Review David Corbett's feedback "Indic categories of U+20F0 COMBINING ASTERISK ABOVE" in L2/18-009, and sections 2B, 2E, and 2F of L2/18-168, for Unicode 12.0.

[155-A105] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Contact Andrew West and David Corbett pointing to section 2C of L2/18-168, regarding Soyombo and Zanabazar Square, to let them know that Anshuman Pandey is working on some of the text.

[155-A106] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Add Tirhuta to ScriptExtension property of U+1CF2, for Unicode 12.0.

[155-A107] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Follow up on section 2G of doc L2/18-168, regarding feedback on Meetei Mayek.

[155-A108] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Review the Indic Syllabic category of U+A8B4 SAURASHTRA CONSONANT SIGN HAARU, for Unicode 11.0. (Update InSC=Consonant_Final → Consonant_Medial).

[155-A109] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Review feedback in section 2I of document L2/18-168 on Syloti Nagri.

B.14.3 Changes to ScriptExtensions.txt for Indic characters for Unicode 11.0 [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-424]

[155-A110] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Ask Sriramana Sharma to review the situation with use of Pushpika across Indic scripts. See document L2/17-424.

[155-A111] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Add B.14.2 document L2/17-430R to the agenda for the next UTC meeting.

B.13.4 General feedback for the Editorial Committee [Silva, L2/18-025]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.17.2 Document for review [Heninger, L2/18-162]

[155-C14] Consensus: Change rule LB8a of UAX #14 to be "ZWJ x", that is, deleting the right side, for Unicode version 11.0.

[155-A112] Action Item for Andy Heninger, Editorial Committee: Remove the right side of the rule for LB8a in UAX #14, and make other necessary changes including the description of ZWJ.

[155-A113] Action Item for Peter Edberg, Emoji Subcommittee: Propose a ZWJ sequence to indicate gesture for deafness.

Lunch and other meeting, 12:30 - 14:00.

B.11.2 Issue 356: Proposed Update UTS #51, Unicode Emoji
B.11.2.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]
B.11.2.2 Document for review [Davis, Edberg, L2/18-148]

[155-C15] Consensus: Approve UTS #51 Version 11 for publication.

[155-A114] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #356.

[155-A115] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg, Editorial Committee: Prepare UTS #51 version 11 for publication.

E.1.1 ESC Recommendations for 2018Q2 UTC [ESC, L2/18-143R2]

[155-C16] Consensus: Authorize the publication of 60 draft candidate emoji characters for emoji 12, as documented in L2/18-143R2.

[155-A116] Action Item for Mark Davis: Empty the provisional emoji candidate chart and populate the approved draft emoji candidate chart.

Short break.

C.3.1 Proposal to include Hindko alphabets [Shaikh, L2/18-032]

[155-C17] Consensus: Accept five Arabic letters for Hindko, as documented in L2/18-032, with glyphs, names, and codepoints as documented in L2/18-174, for encoding in a future version of the standard:

U+08BE ARABIC LETTER PEH WITH SMALL V
U+08BF ARABIC LETTER TEH WITH SMALL V
U+08C0 ARABIC LETTER TTEH WITH SMALL V
U+08C1 ARABIC LETTER TCHEH WITH SMALL V
U+08C2 ARABIC LETTER KEHEH WITH SMALL V

[155-A117] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include five Arabic letters for Hindko. See above consensus 155-C17.

[155-A118] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add five Arabic letters for Hindko to document requesting new additions. See above consensus 155-C17.

[155-A119] Action Item for Lorna Evans: Create a font for five Arabic Hindko letters and send to Michel Suignard. See above consensus 155-C17.

C.9 Revised draft for the encoding of an extended Egyptian Hieroglyphs repertoire (Hieroglyphica based) (WG2 N4944) [Suignard, L2/18-165]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.1.1 ESC Recommendations for 2018Q2 UTC [ESC, L2/18-143R2]

[155-C18] Consensus: Accept 60 emoji characters with codepoints and character names as given in L2/18-143R2, for encoding in Unicode 12.0. Sixteen go into a new block "Symbols and Pictographs Extended-A" U+1FA70..U+1FAFF.

[155-A120] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Create a proposal summary form for the newly added emoji characters.

[155-A121] Action Item for Mark Davis, Emoji Subcommittee: Provide a font to Michel Suignard for the 60 newly encoded emoji characters.

[155-A122] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Get the roadmap committee to update for the new block "Symbols and Pictographs Extended-A" (U+1FA70..U+1FAFF).

[155-A123] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Add agenda items E.1.4, E.1.5, and E.1.6 to the agenda for the next UTC meeting.

D.11 Proposed Property Changes for Ardhavisargas [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/18-075]

[155-C19] Consensus: Change two properties for U+1CF2 VEDIC SIGN ARDHAVISARGA and U+1CF3 VEDIC SIGN ROTATED ARDHAVISARGA, General Category from Mc to Lo, and LineBreak from Cm to AL, for Unicode 12.0.

[155-A124] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader, Liang Hai: Look into the Indic properties for U+1CF2 VEDIC SIGN ARDHAVISARGA and U+1CF3 VEDIC SIGN ROTATED ARDHAVISARGA, for Unicode 12.0. See document L2/18-075.

[155-A125] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update UnicodeData.txt and LineBreak.txt for U+1CF2 VEDIC SIGN ARDHAVISARGA and U+1CF3 VEDIC SIGN ROTATED ARDHAVISARGA, for unicode 12.0. See document L2/18-075.

Short break.

B.11.18 Issue 377: Proposed Update UAX #42, Unicode Character Database in XML
B.11.18.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]
B.11.18.2 Document for review [Muller, L2/18-163]

[155-A126] Action Item for Eric Muller: Use the long form for Equivalent_Unified_Ideograph in the introductory sentence of section 4.4.1 of UAX #42, for Unicode 11.0. Also update typo in the second bullet of Revision 3 in the Modifications section ("one elements" s/b "one element"). Double-check all of the Unihan properties.

[155-C20] Consensus: Approve all of the UAXes for publication in Unicode version 11.0.

[155-A127] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close all of the current PRIs for UAXes for Unicode 11.0.

[155-A128] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Do final preparation of all of the UAXes for publication, for Unicode 11.0.

B.1.3.1.1.1 Comments on Shuishu in PDAM2.3 text (WG2 N4942) [Suzuki, L2/18-131]

[155-C21] Consensus: The UTC supports the reasoning given by Suzuki in L2/18-131 and L2/18-133. The UTC is of the opinion that the Shuishu proposal is not yet mature, and hence encoding at this time is not advisable.

[155-A129] Action Item for Peter Constable: Include the UTC position on Shuishu in the liaison report to SC2/WG2. See above consensus 155-C21.

C.2.1 Script Ad Hoc recommendations to the UTC [Anderson, et al, L2/18-168]

Oral report by Deborah Anderson . D.1.1 Review of Indic-related documents and recommendations to the UTC [Anderson, et al, L2/18-168]

Oral report by Deborah Anderson.

E.3 Proposal to encode Ancient Chinese Mathematical Symbols [Jiang, L2/17-219]

Oral report by Deborah Anderson.

C.8 Report on the Bété script 2017 [Riley, L2/17-323]

Oral report by Deborah Anderson.

C.6 Proposal for encoding the Garay script in the SMP of the UCS [SEI/Everson, L2/16-069]
C.7 Report on the Garay script 2017 [Riley, L2/17-322]

Oral report by Deborah Anderson.

D.10 Introducing the Amaragannada scripts [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-186R]

Oral report by Deborah Anderson.

C.5 Feedback on proposed Unifon letters [Silva, L2/17-437]

Oral report by Deborah Anderson.

[155-A130] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Forward script ad-hoc feedback on Unifon to Eduardo Marín Silva. See document L2/18-168, page 30.

D.2 Proposal to encode two characters in Khojki [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-307]

Oral report by Deborah Anderson.

E.2 Proposal to encode the POSTAL MARK ENCLOSED IN DOWN POINTING TRIANGLE [Silva, L2/18-058]

[155-A131] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Relay the UTC feedback on L2/18-058 to Eduardo Marín Silva, requesting that he please provide an updated proposal that includes the proposed codepoint U+1F1B0 with the name "SYMBOL FOR TYPE A ELECTRONICS".

Meeting adjourned for the day at 17:20.


Friday, May 04, 2018

Meeting opened at 9:42.

7 members represented: Apple, Adobe, FB, IBM, UCB, Google, Microsoft

B.3.1.3 Proposed kIICore Changes & Additions [Lunde, L2/18-066R]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.7 Issue 361: Proposed Update UAX #38, Unicode Han Database (Unihan)
B.11.7.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-117]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

D.8.1 Feedback on ISO/TC 46/WG3 N2631 ISO/CD 20674-1 “Information and documentation – Transliteration of scripts in use in Thailand – Part 1: Transliteration of Akson-Thai-Noi” [Unicode Script Ad Hoc, L2/18-070]
D.8.3 Towards a comprehensive proposal for Thai Noi / Lao Buhan script [Mitchell, et al, L2/18-072]

[155-A132] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Draft a response to TC37 regarding the Thai transliteration standard. See document L2/18-070.

D.4.1 Proposal to encode the CANDRABINDU for Sinhala [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/18-060]

[155-C22] Consensus: Accept U+0D81 SINHALA SIGN CANDRABINDU with properties as given in document L2/18-060, for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[155-A133] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+0D81 SINHALA SIGN CANDRABINDU.

[155-A134] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+0D81 SINHALA SIGN CANDRABINDU to document requesting new additions.

D.7.1 Proposal to encode MALAYALAM LETTER VEDIC ANUSVARA [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-276R]

[155-C23] Consensus: Accept U+0D04 MALAYALAM LETTER VEDIC ANUSVARA with properties as given in L2/17-276R for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[155-A135] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+0D04 MALAYALAM LETTER VEDIC ANUSVARA. See document L2/17-276R.

[155-A136] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+0D04 MALAYALAM LETTER VEDIC ANUSVARA to document requesting new additions. See document L2/17-276R.

[155-A137] Action Item for Srinidhi A, Rick McGowan: Provide a font for printing U+0D04 MALAYALAM LETTER VEDIC ANUSVARA. See document L2/17-276R.

Short break.

E.4 Revised proposal for dealing with the moon symbols problem [Karlsson, L2/18-062R]

The UTC declines to take action on new annotations and creating a second emoji style, as discussed in L2/18-062R.

[155-A138] Action Item for Rick McGowan, Lisa Moore: Respond to author of L2/18-062R.

E.6 Proposal to add characters from legacy computers and teletext to the UCS [Ewell, et al, L2/17-435R]

[155-A139] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Respond to Doug Ewell about L2/17-435R.

B.1.1.2.1 Unicode liaison report to SC2

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Lunch 11:30 - 12:30.

E.5 On the encoding of tachograph symbols [Spix, L2/18-090]
E.5.1 Feedback on proposal to encode tachograph symbols [Silva, L2/18-095]

[155-A140] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to author of L2/18-090.

B.13.3.1 Authorize V11.0 Release

[155-C24] Consensus: Authorize the Unicode version 11.0 release.

[155-A141] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Release Unicode 11.0.

[155-A142] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Carry forward agenda items B.14.1, C.4, C.10, D.5, D.7.2, D.14, D.16, D.17 to the agenda for the next UTC meeting.

B.1.3.2 Review ballot comments [Anderson]

Oral discussion.

UTC adjourned for the week at 12:54. L2 continued.


UTC Attendance

Person Representing
Deborah Anderson U.C. Berkeley
Fesseha Atlaw self
Jeremy Burge Emojipedia
Chris Chapman Adobe
Ian Cheney self
Maria Florencia Coelho self
Richard Cook Unicode
Craig Cummings VMware.
Mark Davis Google
Behnam Esfahbod self
Peter Edberg Apple
Lorna Evans SIL
Manish Goregaokar Mozilla
Daniela Guini self
Liang Hai Unicode
Ned Holbrook Apple
Seth Kirby Facebook
Dwight Knell Emojination
Jennifer 8. Lee Emojination
Steven Loomis IBM
Ken Lunde Adobe
Karan Misra Apple
Rick McGowan Unicode
Lisa Moore Unicode
William Nelson self
Megan O’Neill self
Roozbeh Pournader Facebook
Murray Sargent Microsoft
Markus Scherer Google
Jiali Sheng Microsoft
Michel Suignard Unicode
Jugu Sundar IBM
Tex Texin self
Ken Whistler Unicode
Ben Yang Panlex
   
By Phone
Peter Constable Microsoft
John Jenkins Apple
Kristi Lee Microsoft
Tom Moore Microsoft
Judy Safran-Aasen Microsoft
   

Members Represented

Full Member 4/30/18 5/01/18 5/02/18 5/03/18 5/04/18
1. Adobe Systems yes yes yes yes yes
2. Apple Computer yes yes yes yes yes
3. Facebook yes yes yes yes yes
4. Google, Inc.  yes yes yes yes yes
5. Huawei          
6. IBM Corporation yes yes yes yes yes
7. Microsoft Corporation yes yes yes yes yes
8. Netflix          
9. Oracle America, Inc.          
10. SAP AG          
11. Shopify          
12. Sultanate of Oman, MARA          
           
Institutional Member          
1. Bangladesh, MSICT          
2. India, MICT          
3. Tamil Nadu, TVA          
4. UCB yes yes yes yes yes
           
Supporting Member          
1. Emojipedia yes yes      
2. Monotype Imaging Corp          
           
Associate Member          
1. Emojination yes yes yes    
2. Emoji One          
3. SIL yes yes yes yes yes
           
Individual Member          
1. Fesseha Atlaw   yes      
2. Craig Cummings yes yes yes yes yes
3. Jennifer Lee yes yes yes    
4. Liang Hai yes yes yes yes yes
5. William Nelson   yes yes yes  
6. Tex Texin       yes yes
7. Ben Yang yes yes   yes yes yes
           
Liaison Member          
1. Mozilla yes        
2. Panlex yes yes yes yes yes
           
           

Members not in regular attendance: Bangladesh, Huawei, Tamil Nadu, Oracle, SAP, Shopify, Sultanate of Oman

Total full members in regular attendance: 7

Total institutional members in regular attendance: 2

Total supporting members in regular attendance: 1

Quorum: 5