L2/18-183R

Minutes of UTC Meeting 156
Redmond, WA — July 23-27, 2018
Hosted by Microsoft

UTC #156 Agenda
Revision date: September 18, 2018


Monday, July 23, 2018

Meeting opened at 10:49 am.

8.5 members in regular attendance (Supporting 2; 1 in regular attendance. Institutional 4; 1 regular attendance. Full 12; 7 in regular attendance.)

Quorum is 4.5.

7 members represented: Apple, Adobe, Microsoft, Facebook, UCB, IBM(proxy), Google(proxy),

A.5.2.1 Action item review.

[156-C1] Consensus: Approve the minutes of UTC #154 as documented in L2/18-115.

Schedule: UTC #162, 4 days, Jan 13-16 2020, hosted by VMWare, Palo Alto.

Short break 11:30.

D.3 Encoding model to represent conjuncts in Syloti Nagri [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-418]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.2 Proposal to encode: SYMBOL FOR TYPE A ELECTRONICS (replaces L2/18-058) [Silva, L2/18-184]

[156-C2] Consensus: Accept U+2B97 SYMBOL FOR TYPE A ELECTRONICS for a future version of the standard.

[156-A1] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+2B97 SYMBOL FOR TYPE A ELECTRONICS.

[156-A2] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+2B97 SYMBOL FOR TYPE A ELECTRONICS to document requesting new additions.

[156-A3] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Provide font for U+2B97 SYMBOL FOR TYPE A ELECTRONICS to Michel Suignard.

[156-A4] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Ask Eduardo Marín Silva to update proposal L2/18-184 to include codepoint U+2B97 SYMBOL FOR TYPE A ELECTRONICS.

C.3.2 Revised proposal to include Luri alphabets [Mogoei and Shaikh, L2/18-061R]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Roll-call adjustment: Google arrived in person. (Still 7 members represented.)

Lunch 12:30 - 1:45.

E.1.1 ESC Recommendations for 2018Q3 UTC [ESC, L2/18-222]

Discussion, including items below.

E.1.4.2.2 Proposal for Inter-Skintone Couple Emoji Sequences [Lee, et al, L2/18-228]

[156-C3] Consensus: Add 55 RGI ZWJ sequences for people holding hands, for Unicode 12.0.

[156-A5] Action Item for Mark Davis: Update the Unicode 12.0 emoji data files to include 55 RGI sequences for people holding hands.

[156-A6] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg: Update emoji 12.0 data files to add modifier sequences and ZWJ sequences from the emoji draft candidates list to the data files.

E.1.4.5 Proposal for new RGI ZWJ sequences for Deaf Woman/Man [Apple Inc., L2/18-229]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.1 Issue 378: Draft UTR #53, Unicode Arabic Mark Rendering

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.1.4.5 Proposal for new RGI ZWJ sequences for Deaf Woman/Man [Apple Inc., L2/18-229]

[156-C4] Consensus: Accept the emoji character U+1F9CF DEAF PERSON for Unicode 12.0 with the emoji status of "draft candidate".

[156-A7] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+1F9CF DEAF PERSON for Unicode 12.0 with the emoji status of "draft candidate".

[156-A8] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+1F9CF DEAF PERSON for Unicode 12.0 to document requesting new additions.

[156-A9] Action Item for Mark Davis: Update the draft candidate data files for emoji and regenerate the 12.0 charts, and gender and skin tone variants.

[156-A10] Action Item for Peter Edberg: Provide font to Michel Suignard for U+1F9CF DEAF PERSON.

[156-A11] Action Item for Peter Edberg: Update proposal L2/18-229 to include U+1F9CF DEAF PERSON.

B.13.3.1 Unicode 12.1 planning considerations [Whistler, L2/18-220]

[156-A12] Action Item for Mark Davis: Tell CLDR and ICU committees that the UTC is planning for a Unicode 12.1 release to include the new Japanese era name as soon after version 12 as possible.

B.1.4.3 Report of Ad hoc Meeting on Copyright of Code Chart of ISO/IEC 10646 [SC2, L2/18-224]

[156-A13] Action Item for Mark Davis: Explore ramifications of dual copyrights for code charts.

Short break.

Adjourned for the day at 5:10 pm.


Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Meeting opened at 9:45 am.

7 members represented: Apple, Adobe, Microsoft, UCB, IBM(proxy), Google, Facebook,

B.14.1 New character property: NumberofPeople [Silva, L2/18-120]

[156-A14] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to author of L2/18-120.

B.14.2 Script_Extension values for some combining marks [Davis, L2/17-430R]

[156-A15] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Review L2/17-430R and propose results at the next UTC meeting, including file format updates and sync with stakeholders.

B.7 UC Berkeley Department of Linguistics - Script Encoding Initiative
B.7.1 Liaison report [Anderson, L2/18-239
]

Oral report by Deborah Anderson

Short break.

B.8.1 ICU Liaison report [Umaoka, Scherer]

Oral report by Markus Scherer.

B.16.1 Feedback related to taking security considerations into account in informative statement [Sivonen, L2/18-185]

[156-A16] Action Item for Markus Scherer: Review L2/18-185 and make any recommendations back to the UTC.

[156-A17] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to author of L2/18-185 that UTC is reviewing the document.

B.16.2 Feedback related to memory alignment and Unicode encoding schemes [Sivonen, L2/18-186]

[156-A18] Action Item for Rick McGowan, Lisa Moore: Respond to author of L2/18-186.

B.16.3 Feedback on the characterization of the UTF-32 encoding form [Sivonen, L2/18-187]

[156-A19] Action Item for Markus Scherer: Review L2/18-187 and make any recommendations for updates to chapters 2 and 3 back to the UTC.

B.16.4 Feedback related to the relationship of Unicode encoding schemes and UTF encodings in the Web Platform [Sivonen, L2/18-188]

[156-A20] Action Item for Rick McGowan, Lisa Moore: Respond to author of L2-18/188 that it is not appropriate for the Unicode Standard to document what other standards do. But we will review for the possibility of adding a pointer other standards.

[156-A21] Action Item for Mark Davis: Review L2/18-188 and propose any text changes to the UTC.

C.9.3 Brief Report from London meeting of Egyptologists, June 2018 [Anderson, L2/18-237]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.9.2 A note on the syntax of Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic control characters [Nederhof, L2/18-236]

[156-A22] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Thank the author of L2/18-236.

C.16 1120 more superscripts, subscripts and small capitals [Grochowski, L2/18-206]

[156-A23] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Forward comments from the script ad hoc report L2/18-241 to the author of L2/18-206.

Short break.

B.11.2.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-231]

[156-A24] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Thank Doug Ewell for feedback in L2/18-231 on L2/18-185 - L2/18-188. Feedback has been reviewed.

[156-A25] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Eduardo Marín Silva's feedback in L2/18-231 regarding blocks, that UTC declines to create two new blocks.

[156-A26] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to feedback from Tencent's Xuanwu Lab in L2/18-231.

[156-A27] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg: Review feedback from Wang Yifan in L2/18-231 (July 3).

Break for lunch and Emoji/Mongolian ad-hocs at 12:20. Plenary session resumed at 2:00.

E.1.6.4 Comments on accumulated feedback on Unicode 12.0 draft candidates

[156-C5] Consensus: Change names of three characters:

	U+1F90F "PINCH" to "PINCHING HAND"
	U+1FA80 "YO-YO TOY" to "YO-YO"
	U+1FA78 "BLOOD DROP" to "DROP OF BLOOD"

[156-A28] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to change 3 draft candidate names as per above consensus 156-C5.

[156-A29] Action Item for Michel Suignard: Send the finalized names list for Unicode 12.0 emoji to Mark Davis. See above consensus 156-C5.

[156-A30] Action Item for Mark Davis: Update the draft emoji 12.0 candidates data file. See above consensus 156-C5.

E.1.1 ESC Recommendations for 2018Q3 UTC [ESC, L2/18-222]

B.12.1 UTS #51: Add skin-tone/gender info for groups [Davis/ESC, L2/18-223]

[156-C6] Consensus: Authorize a proposed update of UTS #51 for version 12.0.

[156-A31] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg, Editorial Committee: Create a 12.0 proposed update of UTS #51.

[156-A32] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post PRI for proposed update of UTS #51, to close September 10, 2018.

[156-A33] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg, Editorial Committee: Add U+1F9D4 BEARDED PERSON to the table of explicit genders.

Short break.

B.3.1 IRG Liaison report [Lunde, Jenkins]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.3.4 IRG Meeting #50 Recommendations and Action Items [IRG, L2/18-189]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.3.3 Proposed kIICore Changes & Additions [Lunde, L2/18-066R2]

[156-A34] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Update L2/18-066R2 for the September 2018 UTC meeting.

B.1.2 SC2/WG2 minutes, recommendations, resolutions, report
B.1.2.3 Recommendations [WG2, L2/18-209]

[156-A35] Action Item for Michel Suignard: Create a UTN about 10646 collections.

[156-A36] Action Item for John Jenkins: Start a proposed update of UAX #38 for Unicode 12.0 with the addition of "K6" and "TA" sources. See recommendation M67-12 in L2/18-209.

[156-A36a] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post the PRI for UAX #38 for Unicode 12.0.

B.4.1 Updated proposal on Gongche characters for Kunqu Opera [Chan, L2/18-245]

[156-C7] Consensus: Accept 7 Gongche ideographs at U+9FF0..U+9FF6 as CJK Unified Ideographs for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[156-A37] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include 7 Gongche ideographs at U+9FF0..U+9FF6.

[156-A38] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Respond to author of L2/18-245.

C.18 Proposal to add LATIN LETTER THORN WITH DIAGONAL STROKE to the UCS [West and Everson, L2/17-236R]

[156-A39] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add an annotation to U+A765 about the glyph variety for Nordic and Old English. See document L2/18-242.

C.19 Proposal to add one combining character for medieval Cornish to the UCS [Everson, L2/17-358]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.20 Revised proposal to encode the Cypro-Minoan script in the SMP of the UCS [SEI/Everson, L2/16-179]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Meeting adjourned for the day at 5:30 pm.


Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Meeting opened at 9:45 am.

7 members represented: Apple, Adobe, Microsoft, UCB, IBM(proxy), Google, Facebook,

B.9 Unicode Locales Project (CLDR)
B.9.1 Liaison report [Davis, Edberg]

Oral report by Mark Davis, Peter Edberg.

B.15 Ad hoc reports
B.15.1 Mongolian [Moore, L2/18-254]

Oral report by Lisa Moore, Liang Hai.

C.11.1 China's comments on Mongolian code charts in UCS5DAM1 [China NB, L2/18-243]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.11.2 Updates from China [Hai]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Short break.

B.1.1.4 Consent docket [Anderson, et al, L2/18-217]

[156-C8] Consensus: Accept U+2E4F MEDIEVAL CORNISH VERSE DIVIDER for encoding in Unicode version 12.0.

[156-C9] Consensus: Change four names from PDAM 2.3:

	U+13432 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH INSERT AT TOP START
	U+13433 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH INSERT AT BOTTOM START 
	U+13434 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH INSERT AT TOP END 
	U+13435 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH INSERT AT BOTTOM END

[156-C10] Consensus: Accept the move of Nandinagari from U+11B90..U+11BEF to U+119A0..U+119FF, for Unicode version 12.0.

[156-C11] Consensus: Accept four Wancho tone marks:

	U+1E2EC WANCHO TONE TUP
	U+1E2ED WANCHO TONE TUP MANG
	U+1E2EE WANCHO TONE OKOI
	U+1E2EF WANCHO TONE OKOI MANG

for Unicode version 12.0. See also document L2/17-067R2.

[156-C12] Consensus: Accept name change of U+A7BC to LATIN CAPITAL LETTER GLOTTAL I and U+A7BD to LATIN SMALL LETTER GLOTTAL I.

[156-A40] Action Item for Ken Whister: Update the pipeline to reflect the changes for above consensus items 156-C9, 156-C10, 156-C12. See also document L2/18-217 .

[156-C13] Consensus: Add "LARGE" to the names of U+1F7E0..U+1F7EB for Unicode version 12.0:

	1F7E0 LARGE ORANGE CIRCLE 
	1F7E1 LARGE YELLOW CIRCLE 
	1F7E2 LARGE GREEN CIRCLE 
	1F7E3 LARGE PURPLE CIRCLE 
	1F7E4 LARGE BROWN CIRCLE 
	1F7E5 LARGE RED SQUARE 
	1F7E6 LARGE BLUE SQUARE 
	1F7E7 LARGE ORANGE SQUARE 
	1F7E8 LARGE YELLOW SQUARE 
	1F7E9 LARGE GREEN SQUARE 
	1F7EA LARGE PURPLE SQUARE 
	1F7EB LARGE BROWN SQUARE

[156-A41] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline for name changes of LARGE circles and squares, as in above consensus 156-C13.

[156-A42] Action Item for Mark Davis: Update draft candidates with name changes as in above consensus 156-C13. See also L2/18-217 section "N".

B.1.1.3 IR's meeting report [Anderson, L2/18-240]

Discussion. Oral report by Deborah Anderson.

Break for lunch at 12:25 - 13:45.

E.1 Emoji (various following topics)

B.12.1 UTS #51: Add skin-tone/gender info for groups [Davis/ESC, L2/18-223R]
E.1.2 Fixes to emoji data files for V12.0 [ESC, L2/18-202R3
]

[156-A43] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg, Emoji Subcommittee: Make changes to the proposed update of UTS #51 and the data files based on L2/18-202R3, for Version 12.0.

E.1.1 ESC Recommendations for 2018Q3 UTC [ESC, L2/18-222R]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.1.9 Cross-platform unspecified-gender images [Daniel and Grubb, L2/18-225]

[156-A44] Action Item for Peter Edberg:, Editorial Committee Add text to UTS #51 describing when keyboards should generate the marked gender forms of emoji.

E.1.1 ESC Recommendations for 2018Q3 UTC [ESC, L2/18-222R3]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.1.4.2.1 Emoji skin-tone combinatorics [Davis, L2/18-226]
E.1.10 Unspecified-Gender census [Davis, L2/18-227]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.1.1 ESC Recommendations for 2018Q3 UTC [ESC, L2/18-222R3]

[156-C14] Consensus: Add the six emoji characters in section 3 of L2/18-222R3 as provisional candidates for Emoji 13.0.

C.7 Proposal to encode seven additional Tangut components [West, L2/18-194]

[156-C15] Consensus: Accept 7 Tangut Components at U+18AF3..U+18AF9, as documented in L2/18-194, for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[156-A45] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include 7 Tangut Components U+18AF3..U+18AF9. See document L2/18-194.

C.21 Proposal to Fix Glyphs in Bopomofo Extended Block and Encode One Bopomofo Letter [TCA, L2/18-255]

[156-C16] Consensus: Accept U+31BB BOPOMOFO FINAL LETTER G for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[156-A46] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+31BB BOPOMOFO FINAL LETTER G. See document L2/18-255.

C.14 Proposal to encode two additional Zanabazar Square letters (WG2 N4945) [West, L2/18-132R]

[156-A47] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Follow up with Andrew West on script ad-hoc feedback re Zanabazar Square character additions.

Short break.

C.12 Cluster Formation Model for Khitan Small Script [West, L2/18-121R]

[156-C17] Consensus: The UTC rescinds its prior approvals of Khitan Small Script characters. Instead, accept 470 Khitan Small Script characters at U+18B00..U+18CD5 and U+16FE4 KHITAN SMALL SCRIPT FILLER with general category "Lo" for encoding in a future version of the standard, with names and glyphs as documented in L2/18-221.

[156-A48] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline for Khitan Small Script items. See L2/18-221.

[156-A49] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Follow up with professor Wu about Khitan Small Script. See L2/18-221.

Meeting adjourned for the day at 5:10 pm.


Thursday, July 26, 2018

Meeting opened at 9:45 am.

7 members represented: Apple, Adobe, Microsoft, UCB, IBM(proxy), Google, Facebook,

B.14.3 Georgian uppercasing

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.2.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-231]

[156-A50] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Document in UAX #44 that the first field in PropertyAliases.txt may not be shorter than the second field, for Unicode version 12.0.

[156-C18] Consensus: Start a proposed update of UAX #44 for Unicode 12.0.

[156-A51] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Start Proposed Update UAX #44 for Unicode 12.0.

[156-A52] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post the PRI for PU UAX #44 for Unicode 12.0, to close September 10, 2018.

[156-A53] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Respond to feedback from Emmanuel Froissart in L2/18-231.

[156-A54] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to feedback from David Corbett (Sat Jun 23 11:18:05) in L2/18-231.

[156-A55] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Draft text to make the matching scheme for Unicode names bullet-proof by guaranteeing that names cannot be created that will break it. For Unicode 13.0.

[156-A56] Action Item for Liang Hai, Editorial Committee: Update the IPA symbol for the jihvamuliya in Brahmi and Sharada in the core spec for Unicode version 12.0. See feedback from David Corbet (Jun 25 08:58:44) in L2/18-231.

[156-C19] Consensus: Ensure that all of the Georgian Mkhedruli and Mtavruli letters all have sentence break property O_Letter.

[156-A57] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Update the text of UAX #29, re Georgian, for Unicode version 12.0. See above consensus 156-C19.

[156-A58] Action Item for Mark Davis: Change the derivation of O_Letter for sentence break for Georgian Mkhedruli and Mtavruli letters. For Unicode version 12.0. See above consensus 156-C19.

[156-A59] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Prepare a proposed update for UAX #29, for Unicode 12.0.

[156-A60] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post the PRI for proposed update UAX #29 for Unicode 12.0, to close September 10, 2018.

Short break.

E.1.3.8 Safety Vest Emoji [ESC, L2/18-256]

[156-C20] Consensus: Change the name and image of U+1F9BA to "SAFETY VEST".

[156-A61] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include name change for U+1F9BA to "SAFETY VEST", for Unicode 12.0.

[156-A62] Action Item for Mark Davis: Add "DOG + ZWJ + SAFETY VEST" to the RGI list of emoji sequences, for Unicode 12.0.

E.1.1 ESC Recommendations for 2018Q3 UTC [ESC, L2/18-222R3]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.1.4.3 Proposal for new valid emoji sequence (lighthouse) [Wallace, L2/18-204]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.12.1 UTS #51: Add skin-tone/gender info for groups [Davis/ESC, L2/18-223R]

[156-A63] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg, Editorial Committee: Make the changes proposed in document L2/18-223R to the text of UTS #51, for version 12.0.

[156-A64] Action Item for Mark Davis: Add the nine characters in the table "Multi-Person Groupings" of L2/18-223R to Emoji_Modifier_Base, for version 12.0.

E.1.3.6 Inhaler emoji proposal [Adams and Wilson, L2/18-215]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Break for lunch at 12:20. Meeting resumed at 2:00 pm.

B.15.4 Ad-Hoc report Japanese Era Name

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.15.3 Chorasmian Ad-Hoc Report

Oral report. UTC took no action at this time.

E.1.8 Coded hashes of arbitrary images (L2/16-105) [Davis, L2/18-203]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.1.8.1 Coded hashes of arbitrary images [Loomis, L2/18-251]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.3 Proposal to properly support American style Dozenal notation [Silva, L2/18-190]

[156-A65] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Forward script ad-hoc feedback to Eduardo Marín Silva, regarding L2/18-190.

E.5 Proposal to encode a full set of pieces for the game of shogi [Silva, Sasea, L2/18-170]

[156-A66] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Forward script ad-hoc feedback to Eduardo Marín Silva, regarding L2/18-170.

E.6 On the encoding of tachograph symbols [Spix, L2/18-090]

[156-A67] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Reply to author of L2/18-090 that the UTC invites a proposal for the two characters in document L2/18-090 ("2B96 VERTICAL BAR WITH BLACK RIGHT-POINTING TRIANGLE" and "2B97 BLACK RIGHT-POINTING TRIANGLE WITH VERTICAL BAR). Also, forward the script ad-hoc feedback to the author.

B.1.4.1 Results of the ad-hoc meeting on Assamese in London, 2018-06-19 [Everson, L2/18-205]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.1.1.5 Comments on WG2 #67 documents (June 2018) [Anderson, et al, L2/18-210]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.1.7 Request to explain why certain sets of accepted characters have not advanced their ISO stage [Silva, L2/18-195]
B.1.7.1 Response to L2/18-195 [Whistler, L2/18-196
]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

D.9 Proposal to encode the Chorasmian script [Pandey, L2/18-164R2]

[156-C21] Consensus: Accept 28 Chorasmian characters at U+10FB0..U+10FCB, with block Chorasmian at U+10FB0..U+10FDF, with properties as given in L2/18-164R2, for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[156-A68] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include 28 Chorasmian characters at U+10FB0..U+10FCB.

[156-A69] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add 28 Chorasmian characters at U+10FB0..U+10FCB to document requesting new additions.

[156-A70] Action Item for Ken Lunde, Editorial Committee: Update UAX #50 to accommodate vertical orientation of right-to-left scripts, for Unicode 13.0.

[156-A71] Action Item for Ken Lunde, Editorial Committee: Create a proposed update UAX #50 for Unicode version 13.0.

[156-A72] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post the PRI for proposed update UAX #50, for Unicode 13.0. Closing date TBD.

B.1.3.1.1.1 Additional repertoire for ISO/IEC 10646:2017 (5th ed.) beyond Amendment 2 [Suignard, L2/18-211]
B.1.3.1.1.1.1 Feedback on: Additional repertoire for ISO/IEC 10646:2017 (5th ed.) beyond Amendment 2 [Silva, L2/18-214
]

[156-A73] Action Item for Michel Suignard: Update the glyph of U+0D04 MALAYALAM VEDIC ANUSVARA, and add an annotation to U+0D81 SINHALA SIGN CANDRABINDU that it is used in Sanskrit.

[156-A74] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update NamesList.txt for U+229C CIRCLED EQUALS, per document L2/18-241.

C.5 Feedback on the name and disunification of Creative Commons characters [Silva, L2/18-180]

[156-C22] Consensus: Change the name of U+1F10E to CIRCLED ANTICLOCKWISE ARROW.

[156-A75] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to rename U+1F10E to CIRCLED ANTICLOCKWISE ARROW.

[156-A76] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Eduardo Marín Silva's document L2/18-180.

C.10 Proposal to encode the two remaining tally mark systems proposed in L2/15-328 [Silva, L2/18-088]

[156-A77] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Forward the script ad-hoc feedback on L2/18-088 to Eduardo Marín Silva.

C.4 Deprecation of 3 Tibetan Characters [Roux, L2/18-078]

[156-A78] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Send the script ad-hoc feedback to the author of L2/18-078.

Short break.

E.1.3.9 Mammoth Emoji Submission [West, L2/17-420]

[156-C23] Consensus: Add MAMMOTH to the list of provisional emoji candidates for Unicode version 13.0.

E.1.3.10 Dodo Emoji Submission [West, L2/17-441]

[156-C24] Consensus: Add DODO to the list of provisional emoji candidates for Unicode version 13.0.

[156-A79] Action Item for Mark Davis: Update the provisional candidate emoji data and charts with MAMMOTH and DODO.

Meeting adjourned for the day at 5:25.


Friday, July 27, 2018

Meeting opened at 9:35 am.

7 members represented: Apple, Adobe, Microsoft, UCB, IBM(proxy), Google(proxy), Facebook,

D.6.1 Canonical ordering of marks in Thai script [Constable, L2/18-216]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Roll-call adjustment: Google now present in person.

[156-A80] Action Item for Peter Constable, Editorial Committee: Prepare revisions to the Thai block introduction, to take into consideration issues discussed in L2/18-216 and feedback from the script ad-hoc in L2/18-241. For Unicode version 13.0. See also L2/18-248.

D.5 Feedback on pushpika [Anderson, L2/18-232]

[156-A82] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Ask Srinidhi and Sridatta to to collect examples of pushpikas in various scripts and make a proposal for their encoding.

Short break.

B.13.4 FAQ Maintenance [Whistler]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

D.4.2 Tamil homograph sequences for addition to chapter 12 [Freytag, L2/18-207]

[156-A83] Action Item for Mark Davis: Refer to document L2/18-207 and section 12 of the script ad-hoc report L2/18-241 (pages 11-12). Look at codepoints U+0BD7 and U+0BB3 to determine whether any of these should be included in the lookalike confusable files. For Unicode version 12.0.

[156-A84] Action Item for Liang Hai, Editorial Committee: Clarify the confusable characters in Tamil chapter of the core specification, based on L2/18-207 and L2/18-241. For Unicode version 12.0.

Lunch and ad-hoc meetings 11:50am - 1:00 pm.

D.4.1 Tamil SHRII conjunct – comment [Ganesan, L2/18-172]

[156-A85] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Respond to Ganesan re document L2/18-172.

D.11 Proposal to encode the TAKRI VOWEL SIGN VOCALIC R [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/18-084]

[156-A86] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add the encoding of Takri vocalic r to the script ad-hoc agenda for further review.

D.12 Positioning of Tai Tham vowels below [Wordingham, L2/18-171]

[156-A87] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Add a comment in IndicPositionalCategory.txt that U+1A69 and U+1A6A have variable placement in Tai Tham. See document L2/18-171.

D.13 Encoding model issues with the Vedic gomukha characters [Sharma, L2/18-035]

[156-A88] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Pass ad-hoc feedback to the authors of L2/17-098 and interested parties.

C.17 Preliminary proposal for encoding the Yezidi script in the SMP of the UCS [Karaca, et al, L2/18-238]

Oral report. UTC took no action at this time.

D.8 Preliminary proposal to encode Tigalari script in Unicode [Murthy, Rajan, L2/17-378]

Oral report. UTC took no action at this time.

Thanks to the host, Microsoft.

Meeting adjourned for the week at 1:30 pm.

L2 continued.


UTC Attendance

Person Representing
Deborah Anderson U.C. Berkeley
Peter Constable Microsoft
Craig Cummings VMware.
Mark Davis Google
Peter Edberg Apple
Kara Fong Facebook
Andrew Glass Microsoft
Liang Hai Unicode
Dwight Knell Emojination
Mike LaJoie Microsoft
Kristi Lee Microsoft
Jennifer 8. Lee Emojination
Ken Lunde Adobe
Sergey Malkin Microsoft
Rick McGowan Unicode
Lisa Moore Unicode
Roozbeh Pournader Facebook
Murray Sargent Microsoft
Judy Safran-Aasen Microsoft
Jiali Sheng Microsoft
Shawn Steele Microsoft
Michel Suignard Unicode
Ken Whistler Unicode
Ben Yang Panlex
   
By Phone
Ned Holbrook Apple
John Jenkins Apple
Steven Loomis IBM
   

Members Represented

Full Member 7/23/18 7/24/18 7/25/18 7/26/18 7/27/18
1. Adobe Systems yes yes yes yes yes
2. Apple Inc. yes yes yes yes yes
3. Facebook yes yes yes yes yes
4. Google, Inc.  yes yes yes yes yes
5. Huawei          
6. IBM Corporation yes (proxy) yes (proxy) yes (proxy) yes (proxy) yes (proxy)
7. Microsoft Corporation yes yes yes yes yes
8. Netflix          
9. Oracle America, Inc.          
10. SAP AG          
11. Shopify          
12. Sultanate of Oman, MARA          
           
Institutional Member          
1. Bangladesh, MSICT          
2. India, MICT          
3. Tamil Nadu, TVA          
4. UCB yes yes yes yes yes
           
Supporting Member          
11. Emojipedia          
2. Monotype Imaging Corp          
           
Associate Member          
1. Emojination yes yes yes yes   
2. Emoji One          
3. SIL yyes        
           
Individual Member          
1. Craig Cummings yes yes yes yes yes
2. Jennifer Lee yes yes yes yes  
3. Liang Hai yes yes yes yes yes
4. Ben Yang yes yes yes yes yes
           
Liaison Member          
1. Panlex yes yes yes yes yes
           


Members not in regular attendance: Bangladesh, Huawei, Tamil Nadu, Oracle, SAP, Shopify, Sultanate of Oman

Total full members in regular attendance: 7

Total institutional members in regular attendance: 1

Total supporting members in regular attendance: 1

Quorum: 4.5