L2/18-272

Draft Minutes of UTC Meeting 157
Sunnyvale, CA — September 18-20, 2018
Hosted by Apple

UTC #157 Agenda
Revision date: September 27, 2018


Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Meeting opened at 10:30 am.

8.5 members in regular attendance. Quorum is 4.5.

7 members represented: Adobe, Apple, IBM, Microsoft, Facebook, UCB, Google (proxy).

Introductions, logistics, and reminders.

A.5.2.1 Review of open action items [L2/SD2]

Google now represented in person.

[157-C1] Consensus: Approve the minutes of UTC #156 as documented in L2/18-183.

Meeting schedule adjustments, reducing some meetings to 4 days:

B.15.3 Tai Tham ad hoc report

Oral report by Liang Hai.

B.14.2 Freeze Bidi maximum explicit level at 125 [Scherer, L2/18-296]

[157-C2] Consensus: Document in UBA (UAX #9) BD2 that the max_depth of 125 will not change.

[157-A1] Action Item for Markus Scherer, Editorial Committee: Update the UBA (UAX #9) to note that max_depth of 125 will not change.

[157-A2] Action Item for Markus Scherer, Editorial Committee: Create a proposed update of UAX #9 for Unicode 12.0. See consensus 157-C2.

[157-A3] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post a PRI for UAX #9 to close January 7, 2019.

[157-M1] Motion: Request that the officers create a stability policy that the max_depth BD2 in UAX #9 will not change.

Moved by Mark Davis, seconded by Peter Edberg.

3 for (Apple, Google, IBM)
0 opposed
4.5 abstain (Facebook, Adobe, Microsoft, UCB, Emojipedia)

Motion fails.

B.14.1 Proposed fix for character name restrictions on use of hyphen-minus [Whistler, L2/18-267R]

Discussion of L2/18-267R.

Lunch break and emoji ad-hoc 12:30 - 13:50.

Continued discussion of L2/18-267R.

[157-C3] Consensus: Rewrite R3 of Chapter 3 in the core specification as specified in L2/181-267R to clarify the restriction on character names for Unicode version 12.0.

[157-A4] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Rewrite R3 of Chapter 3 in the core specification as specified in L2/18-267R, for Unicode version 12.0.

[157-A5] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Michel Suignard: Investigate corresponding naming rules in 10646.

B.11.2 Issue 379: Proposed Update UAX #44, Unicode Character Database

[157-A6] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Extend PRI #379 to close January 7, 2019.

C.8 Proposal to encode the Palaeohispanic script [Ferrer, et al, L2/18-283]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

D.4 Error in three Wancho character names [Anderson, L2/18-264]

[157-C4] Consensus: Correct 3 Wancho character names to: U+1E2ED WANCHO TONE TUPNI, U+1E2EE WANCHO TONE KOI, and U+1E2EF WANCHO TONE KOINI.

[157-A7] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to correct 3 Wancho character names to: U+1E2ED WANCHO TONE TUPNI, U+1E2EE WANCHO TONE KOI, and U+1E2EF WANCHO TONE KOINI.

C.9 Preliminary proposal for encoding the Yezidi script in the SMP of the UCS (revision 1) [Karaca, et al, L2/18-284]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.11 Feedback on N4836 (L2/17-236) Proposal to add LATIN LETTER THORN WITH DIAGONAL to the UCS STROKE [Stokes, et al, L2/18-286]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.10 Further information on Khitan Small Script clusters [Anderson, L2/18-285]

[157-C5] Consensus: Change the glyph for U+16FE4 KHITAN SMALL SCRIPT FILLER from "KITSF" to "KSSF" as documented in section 9 of L2/18-300.

E.1.1 ESC Recommendations for 2018Q3 UTC [ESC, L2/18-307]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Short break.

C.6 Comments on proposed Vietnamese Reading Marks [West, et al, L2/18-281]

[157-A8] Action Item for Lee Collins: Provide a response to L2/18-281.

On phone: John Jenkins.

B.3.2 US/Unicode Activity Report for IRG #51 [Lunde, L2/18-295]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.3.3 IRG Working Set 2015 Version 6.0 (IRG N2308) & Draft Extension G (WG2 N5006) [IRG, L2/18-268]

[157-A9] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Update L2/18-268 by replacing the extension G with the latest extension G.

B.3.4 IRG Working Set 2017 Version 2.0 (IRG N2309) [IRG, L2/18-269]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.3.5 IRG N2309 IRG Working Set 2017 Version 2.0 UTC Comments [UTC/Lunde, L2/18-270]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.4.1 Additional document for kMainlandTelegraph changes [Chung, L2/18-263]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.4.2 Request to add 15 U-source ideographs [Chung, L2/18-288]

[157-C6] Consensus: Add the fifteen characters documented in L2/18-288 to UAX #45, with status "N", for Unicode version 12.0.

[157-A10] Action Item for John Jenkins: Add the fifteen characters documented in L2/18-288 to UAX #45, with status "N", for Unicode version 12.0.

B.4.3 Proposed kTaiwanTelegraph changes [Chung, L2/18-289]

[157-A11] Action Item for John Jenkins: Update provisional properties based on L2/18-263 and L2/18-289, for Unicode version 12.0.

B.4.4 Proposal to add 9 Taiwanese and 2 Hakka ideographs to UAX #45 [Burkimsher, L2/18-290]

[157-C7] Consensus: Add the eleven characters documented in L2/18-290 to UAX #45, with status "N", for Unicode version 12.0.

[157-A12] Action Item for John Jenkins: Add the eleven characters documented in L2/18-290 to UAX #45, with status "N", for Unicode version 12.0.

[157-A13] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Respond to authors of L2/18-288 and L2/18-290, with the outcome.

B.4.5 Draft Revised IICore Radical-stroke Charts [Jenkins, L2/18-291]

[157-A14] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Replace the current IICore radical stroke chart with an update based on L2/18-291.

B.4.6 UAX #45 Radical-stroke Charts [Jenkins, L2/18-292]

[157-A15] Action Item for John Jenkins: Fix the radical stroke information in UAX #45 for the entries UTC02931 through UTC02934, for Unicode version 12.0. See document L2/18-292.

[157-A16] Action Item for John Jenkins: Provide more correct USource identifiers when printing the radical stroke information. See document L2/18-292.

B.4.7 Proposal to define new Unihan Database property: kIICore2020 [Lunde, L2/18-279]

[157-A17] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Revise L2/18-279 based on feedback received in the meeting and submit to IRG.

B.12.1 Working Draft Proposed Update Unicode® Standard Annex #38

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.2.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-274]

[157-A18] Action Item for John Jenkins, Michel Suignard: Add additional property values for U+20063 and U+200DB based on feedack from Ken Lunde (August 2, 2018), in L2/18-274, for Unicode 12.0.

[157-A19] Action Item for Mark Davis: Change the hentaigana (U+1B002 to U+1B11E) to have Identifier_Type=Obsolete, based on feedback from David Corbett (August 7, 2018), in L2/18-274, for Unicode version 12.0.

[157-A20] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to David Corbett re feedback on hentaigana identifier type.

[157-A21] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Revise the section on choice of simplified versus traditional Chinese in UTS #39 by removing it, for Unicode version 12.0.

[157-A22] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Karl Williamson re feedback on UTS #39 (July 21, 2018).

Meeting adjourned for the day at 5:30.


Wednesday, September 19, 2018

(9:30 - 11:00 members meeting)

Meeting opened at 11:10 am.

7 members represented: Adobe, Apple, IBM, Microsoft, Facebook, UCB, Google (proxy).

On phone: Lorna Evans.

B.11.1 Issue 378: Draft UTR #53, Unicode Arabic Mark Rendering

[157-C8] Consensus: Approve Draft UTR #53 for publication as UTR #53.

[157-A23] Action Item for Lorna Evans, Editorial Committee: Prepare UTR #53 for publication.

[157-A24] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post UTR #53.

[157-A25] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #378.

B.15.4 Ad hoc report W3C i18n initiative

Oral report by Lisa Moore, Steven Loomis.

[157-A26] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Follow up with Markus Scherer, Richard Ishida, and Addison Phillips regarding possible new ICU break iterator support.

B.9 Unicode Locales Project (CLDR) B.9.1 Liaison report [Davis, Edberg]

Oral report by Mark Davis.

B.7 UC Berkeley Department of Linguistics - Script Encoding Initiative B.7.1 Liaison report [Anderson, L2/18-299]

Oral report by Deborah Anderson.

B.8.1 ICU Liaison report [Umaoka, Scherer]

Oral report by Markus Scherer.

B.10 Unicode Localization Interoperability (ULI) B.10.1 Liaison report [Loomis]

Oral report by Steven Loomis.

B.16.1 ICANN Meeting in Barcelona

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.3.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-274]

[157-A27] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Check wording in UAX #34 based on July 29, 2018 feedback from David Corbett. See document L2/18-274.

[157-A28] Action Item for Mark Davis: Create proposal for restructuring the information in tables in section 2.4 of UAX #31.

Lunch break and ad hoc meetings, 12:20 - 13:45

Members meeting continuation 13:45 - 14:00.

E.1.1 ESC Recommendations for 2018Q3 UTC [ESC, L2/18-307]

[157-C9] Consensus: Approve 36 new ZWJ sequences as RGI in emoji 12.0, as documented in L2/18-306.

[157-A29] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg: Add 36 new ZWJ sequences documented in L2/18-306 to Emoji 12.0 data files.

[157-A30] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg: Update UTS #51 as necessary for 36 new RGI ZWJ sequences documented in L2/18-306.

On Phone: Judy Safran-Aasen

[157-C10] Consensus: Change the representation of 55 RGI ZWJ sequences for people holding hands in Emoji 12.0 to the sequences listed in Appendix A of document L2/18-307.

[157-A31] Action Item for Mark Davis: Add 55 new ZWJ sequences for people holding hands to Emoji 12.0 data files.

[157-A32] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg: Update UTS #51 as necessary for 55 new RGI ZWJ sequences for people holding hands.

[157-C11] Consensus: Add three additional provisional candidates for Emoji 13.0, PICKUP TRUCK, HEADSTONE, and BELL PEPPER.

[157-A33] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg: Add three provisional candidates to the list for Emoji 13.0. See consensus 157-C11.

[157-A34] Action Item for Jeremy Burge, Emoji Subcommittee: Reconsider whether to add POTTED PLANT as an additional provisional candidate for Emoji 13.0.

[157-A35] Action Item for Jeremy Burge: Collect information on annotations and ordering for the three new provisional candidates. See consensus 157-C11.

[157-A36] Action Item for Jeremy Burge: Collect information on annotations and ordering for new ZWJ sequences.

C.7 Proposal to encode ADLAM NASALIZATION MARK for ADLaM script [Barry, et al, L2/18-282] C.7.1 General feedback [L2/18-274]

On phone Andrew Glass.

[157-C12] Consensus: Accept U+1E94B ADLAM NASALIZATION MARK with properties as given in L2/18-282R for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[157-A37] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to feedback from Eduardo Marín Silva regarding L2/18-282.

[157-A38] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add U+1E94B ADLAM NASALIZATION MARK to the pipeline.

[157-A39] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+1E94B ADLAM NASALIZATION MARK to document requesting future additions.

[157-C13] Consensus: Because of the urgency of need for the Adlam Nasalization Mark by the user community, target U+1E94B ADLAM NASALIZATION MARK for Unicode 12.0.

B.11.3.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-274]

[157-A40] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Let David Corbett know that UTC will not be updating UAX #31 for Coptic Epact numbers in Unicode 12.0, but will plan for a more extensive revision later.

[157-A41] Action Item for Mark Davis: Investigate Not_XID listing in IdentifierType.txt for consistency, for Unicode 12.0. See the August 4, 2018 error report from Manish Goregaokar in L2/18-274.

[157-A42] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Manish Goregaokar re August 4, 2018 feedback.

[157-C14] Consensus: Change the Grapheme_Cluster_Break property of U+1B35 BALINESE VOWEL SIGN TEDUNG from Spacing_Mark to Extend, for Unicode 12.0.

[157-A43] Action Item for Mark Davis: Update GraphemeBreakProperty.txt for Unicode 12.0. See consensus 157-C14.

[157-A44] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to David Corbett's feedback of August 11 and 12, 2018 re Grapheme_Cluster_Break property of U+1B35 and UAX #31. Also Jul 22, 2018 on U+166D.

[157-C15] Consensus: Change the regular expression under A2 in UAX #31 to add a $L at the end as per /$L $M* $V $M₁* ZWNJ $L/ .

[157-A45] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Update the regex under A2 in UAX #31 for Unicode 12.0, as per consensus 157-C15.

[157-C16] Consensus: Change the general category of U+166D CANADIAN SYLLABICS CHI SIGN fron "Po" to "So" and make it Terminal_Punctuation=No.

[157-A46] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update UnicodeData.txt to change general category of U+166D CANADIAN SYLLABICS CHI SIGN fron "Po" to "So" for Unicode 12.0.

[157-A47] Action Item for Mark Davis: Remove U+166D CANADIAN SYLLABICS CHI SIGN from Terminal_Punctuation in PropList.txt in Unicode 12.0.

[157-A48] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Adjust the collation of U+166D CANADIAN SYLLABICS CHI SIGN so it is in the range of symbols rather than punctuation in DUCET for Unicode 12.0.

[157-A49] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to David Corbett's feedback on July 25 re Arabic confusables.

[157-A50] Action Item for Rick McGowan, Ben Yang: Discuss information on U+05C7 HEBREW POINT QAMATS QATAN, based on David Corbett's feedback comment of August 8, 2018 in L2/18-274 and provide a suggested resolution.

[157-A51] Action Item for Mark Davis: Review David Corbett's feedback on Inconsistent Identifier_Type values for excluded scripts from August 8, 2018 in L2/18-274.

[157-A52] Action Item for Deborah Anderson, Script Ad Hoc: Review David Corbett's feedback on Chakma maayyaa of August 8, 2018; and Indic Siyaq numbers of August 9, 2018 in L2/18-274.

[157-A53] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Inform David Corbett of disposition for feedback items of August 8 and 9, 2018.

[157-A54] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Stephen Davis' feedback of August 22, 2018 in L2/18-274.

[157-A55] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Henrique Peron's feedback of August 18, 2018 in L2/18-274 to say that Lithuanian is already supported.

[157-A56] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to feedback from François of August 27, 2018.

[157-A57] Action Item for Rick McGowan, Lisa Moore: Respond to Charlotte Buff's document L2/18-301.


Thursday, September 20, 2018

Meeting opened at 9:40.

6 members represented: Adobe, Apple, IBM, UCB, Google (proxy), Facebook.

D.2 Additional information on L2/18-084 TAKRI VOWEL SIGN VOCALIC R [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/18-247R]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

D.3 Syloti Nagri feedback [Srinidhi, L2/18-259]

[157-A58] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Contact Lorna Evans and request that she investigate Syloti Nagri issues in document L2/18-259.

D.5 Further remarks on the encoding model of Vedic gomukha characters [Sharma, L2/18-287]

[157-A59] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Ask Srinidhi and Sridatta for a formal proposal on Vedic gomukha characters. See document L2/18-287.

Short break.

C.5.1 A Glyph Error of 'Phags-pa Alternate YA(U+A86D) [Lo Dyih-Yuaan, L2/18-278]

[157-A60] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Create a glyph erratum notice for U+A86D PHAGS-PA LETTER ALTERNATE YA based on document L2/18-280 Table 5.

[157-A61] Action Item for Rick McGowan, Michel Suignard: Correct the glyph in code charts for U+A86D PHAGS-PA LETTER ALTERNATE YA based on document L2/18-280 Table 5, for Unicode 12.0.

C.4 Preliminary proposal to encode Book Pahlavi in Unicode [Pandey, L2/18-276]

The UTC is pleased to see the progress that has been made on Book Pahlavi.

E.2 Proposal to add characters from legacy computers and teletext to the UCS [Ewell, et al, L2/18-275R]

Discussion.

Short break.

Google now represented in person.

[157-A62] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Schedule a phone meeting with authors of L2/18-275R.

E.3 Revised EXTERNAL LINK Proposal [Bayer, L2/18-303]

[157-A63] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to author of L2/18-303.

Lunch break and Mongolian ad hoc, 11:45 - 13:55.

B.15.1 Mongolian ad hoc report

Oral report by Liang Hai.

[157-A64] Action Item for Liang Hai, Roozbeh Pournader: Prepare a proposal for property changes to NNBSP for Unicode 12.0.

[157-A65] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Contact the Mongolian standards body regarding letters of invitation to the April 2019 Mongolian Working Group meeting, and posting to the e-mail list.

B.12.2 Working Draft of Proposed Update UTS #51, Unicode Emoji [Davis, Edberg, L2/18-308]

[157-A66] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Move the last three review notes under section 2.3a.2 (Multiperson Skintones) to a separate PRI document for posting.

B.11.3.1.1 General feedback [L2/18-274]

Oral report from Ben Yang regarding Qamats Qatan.

[157-C17] Consensus: Change the Identifier_Type of U+05C7 HEBREW POINT QAMATS QATAN from "Obsolete" to "Uncommon_Use Technical" for Unicode version 12.0.

[157-A67] Action Item for Mark Davis: Change the Identifier_Type of U+05C7 HEBREW POINT QAMATS QATAN from "Obsolete" to "Uncommon_Use Technical" in IdentifierType.txt, for Unicode version 12.0.

B.13.4 Authorize V12.0 beta

[157-C18] Consensus: Authorize the Unicode 12.0 beta.

[157-A68] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Release the Unicode 12.0 beta.

E.2 Proposal to add characters from legacy computers and teletext to the UCS [Ewell, et al, L2/18-275R]

On phone: Doug Ewell.

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.1.3.2 Additional repertoire for ISO/IEC 10646:2017 (6th ed.) CD, Revised [Suignard, L2/18-302]

Oral report by Michel Suignard.

B.1.6 Review of document requesting new additions [Anderson, L2/18-309]

Oral report by Deborah Anderson.

UTC thanks the host, Apple.

Meeting adjourned at 4:00 pm.

L2 continued.


UTC Attendance

Person Representing
Deborah Anderson U.C. Berkeley
Tim Brandall Netflix
Jeremy Burge Emojipedia
Chris Chapman Adobe
Lee Collins Netflix
Richard Cook Unicode
Matthieu Credou BZH
Craig Cummings VMware.
Mark Davis Google
Peter Edberg Apple
Behnam Esfahbod self
Liang Hai Unicode
Ned Holbrook Apple
Philippe Kimura-Thollander Facebook
Jennifer 8. Lee Emojination
Dongyuan Liu Apple
Steven Loomis IBM
Ken Lunde Adobe
Rick McGowan Unicode
Lisa Moore Unicode
Roozbeh Pournader Facebook
Markus Scherer Google
Jiali Sheng Microsoft
Michel Suignard Unicode
Tex Texin Xencraft
Ken Whistler Unicode
Ben Yang Panlex
   
By Phone
Lorna Evans SIL
Doug Ewell self
Andrew Glass Microsoft
John Jenkins Apple
Judy Safran-Aasen Microsoft
   

Members Represented

Full Member 9/18/18 9/19/18 9/20/18
1. Adobe Systems yes yes yes
2. Apple Inc. yes yes yes
3. Facebook yes yes yes
4. Google, Inc.  yes yes yes
5. Huawei      
6. IBM Corporation  yes yes yes
7. Microsoft Corporation yes yes yes
8. Netflix   yes yes  
9. Oracle America, Inc.      
10. SAP AG      
11. Shopify      
12. Sultanate of Oman, MARA      
       
Institutional Member      
1. Bangladesh, MSICT      
2. India, MICT      
3. Tamil Nadu, TVA      
4. UCB yes yes yes
       
Supporting Member      
1. Emojipedia yes yes yes
2. Monotype Imaging Corp      
       
Associate Member      
1. Emojination yes yes  
2. Emoji One      
3. SIL     yes
       
Individual Member      
1. Craig Cummings yes yes yes
2. Jennifer 8. Lee yes yes  
3. Liang Hai yes yes yes
4. Tex Texin   yes yes
       
Liaison Member      
1. Panlex yes yes yes
       


Members not in regular attendance: Bangladesh, Huawei, Tamil Nadu, Oracle, SAP, Shopify, Sultanate of Oman

Total full members in regular attendance: 7

Total institutional members in regular attendance: 1

Total supporting members in regular attendance: 1

Quorum: 4.5