L2/19-008R

Approved Minutes of UTC Meeting 158
Mountain View, CA — January 14-17, 2019
Hosted by Google

UTC #158 Agenda
Revision date: May 3, 2019


Monday, January 14, 2019

Meeting opened at 10:25 am.

8.5 members in regular attendance. Quorum is 4.5.

8.5 members represented: Apple, Adobe, Emojipedia, Google, UCB, MS, Netflix, Facebook, IBM

L2 meeting opened by Craig

Introductions.

A.5.2.1 Review of open action items [L2/SD2]

Discussion.

A.6 Calendar review

Scheduled UTC #164, July 27-30, hosted by MS.

Short break.

B.11.1 Issue 379: Proposed Update UAX #44, Unicode Character Database
B.11.1.1.1 General feedback [L2/19-010
]
B.11.1.2 Document for review [Davis, et al, L2/19-026
]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.6 Issue 385: Proposed Update UTS #10, Unicode Collation Algorithm
B.11.6.1.1 General feedback [L2/19-010
]
B.11.6.2 Document for review [Jenkins, et al, L2/19-031
]

[158-C1] Consensus: Approve PU UTS #10 for publication.

[158-A1] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Prepare UTS #10 version 12.0 for publication.

[158-A2] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post approved UTS #10 version 12.0.

[158-A3] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #385.

B.11.7 Issue 386: Proposed Update UAX #31, Unicode Identifier and Pattern Syntax
B.11.7.1.1 General feedback [L2/19-010
]
B.11.7.2 Document for review [Davis, et al, L2/19-032
]

[158-A4] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Review PRI #386 feedback when finalizing the text of UAX #31 for Unicode version 12.0.

[158-A5] Action Item for Mark Davis, Deborah Anderson, Editorial Committee: Update Tables 4, 5, and 7 of UAX #31, based on the new scripts in Unicode version 12.0.

B.11.9 Issue 388: Proposed Update UAX #34, Unicode Named Character Sequences
B.11.9.1.1 General feedback [L2/19-010
]
B.11.9.2 Document for review [Phillips, L2/19-033
]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.11 Issue 390: Proposed Update a, Unicode Text Segmentation
B.11.11.1.1 General feedback [L2/19-010
]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.11.1.2 Proposed changes in the segmentation property values for fullwidth digits [Iancu, Heniger, Iancu, L2/19-055]

[158-A6] Action Item for Laurențiu Iancu, Andy Heninger: Look at additional full-width characters such as plus or minus, for word-breaking and sentence-breaking full-width numbers. See document L2/19-055.

[158-C2] Consensus: For the ten characters U+FF10 FULLWIDTH DIGIT ZERO through U+FF19 FULLWIDTH DIGIT NINE, change the Word_Break and Sentence_Break property values from Other to Numeric (from WB=XX, SB=XX to WB=NU, SB=NU). As documented in L2/19-055, for Unicode version 12.0.

[158-A7] Action Item for Mark Davis: Update WordBreak.txt and SentenceBreak.txt to change the property values of Word_Break and Sentence_Break for U+FF10..U+FF19 from Other to Numeric (from WB=XX, SB=XX to WB=NU, SB=NU), for Unicode version 12.0.

[158-A8] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Update the derivation of Numeric in Table 3 and Table 4 of UAX #29, to add FF10-FF19 for Unicode version 12.0.

B.11.11 Issue 390: Proposed Update UAX #29, Unicode Text Segmentation B.11.11.1.1 General feedback [L2/19-010]

[158-A9] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to feedback on PRI #390 from Eduardo Marín Silva.

Lunch 12:30 - 13:40.

B.11.5 Issue 383: Proposed Update UAX #14, Unicode Line Breaking Algorithm
B.11.5.1.1 General feedback [L2/19-010
]
B.11.5.1.2 UAX14 Improve Line Breaking Around Numbers [Heninger, et al, L2/19-013
]
B.11.5.2 Document for review [Heninger, et al, L2/19-030
]

[158-A10] Action Item for Liang Hai: Prepare a proposal for additional updates regarding tailoring of NNBSP for line-breaking.

[158-A11] Action Item for Andy Heninger, Editorial Committee: Update the text of UAX #14 based on feedback from Tomohiro Nakauchi in PRI #383.

[158-A12] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Tomohiro Nakauchi regarding feedback on PRI #383.

E.1.1 ESC Recommendations for 2019Q1 UTC [ESC, L2/19-019] E.1.2 ESC Candidate Recommendations for 2019Q1 UTC [ESC/Burge, L2/19-018]

Discussion. Oral report by Jeremy Burge.

E.1.3 ESC modified data files for L2/18-340 [ESC/Burge, L2/19-021]

[158-A13] Action Item for Peter Edberg: Add the phrase "in RGI" to L2/18-340, as appropriate.

[158-A14] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg, Editorial Committee: Update UTS #51 as documented in L2/18-340, for Emoji 12.0.

[158-A15] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg, Editorial Committee: Look at the bullet items in UTS #51 which have the structure "this is the subset of..." to see if they should be restructured for clarity, for Unicode version 13.0.

Short break.

E.1.4 Gendered Emoji Update II [Buff, L2/19-022]

Discussion. The UTC notes that the Emoji Subcommittee will consider this document when discussing gender neutral topics in the future.

B.13.4 Unicode V12.1

Discussion.

Short break.

[158-C3] Consensus: The UTC authorizes the release of Unicode version 12.1 for the addition of U+32FF for the new Japanese era name, incorporating new versions of the UCD files and code charts, and authorizes the release of the data files for UTS #10, UTS #39, and UTS #46.

[158-A16] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Release Unicode version 12.1, with release of the data files as soon as possible after April 1, 2019.

[158-A17] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Provide a font for U+32FF.

B.14.5 Proposed change in GCB property value for surrogate code points [Whistler, L2/19-049]

[158-C4] Consensus: Change the Grapheme_Cluster_Break property assignment of surrogate code points from gcb=Control to gcb=XX (the default) for Unicode version 12.0.

[158-A18] Action Item for Mark Davis: Update the Grapheme_Cluster_Break property assignment of surrogate code points from gcb=Control to gcb=XX for Unicode version 12.0.

B.14.6 Reconsidering gc and InPC values of U+119D2 NANDINAGARI VOWEL SIGN I [Liang, L2/19-050]

[158-C4a] Consensus: Approve the following properties for U+119D2 NANDINAGARI VOWEL SIGN I: "Mc", InPC = "left".

[158-A19] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Update the InPC property of U+119D2 NANDINAGARI VOWEL SIGN I from "top" to "left", for Unicode version 12.0.

Adjourned for the day at 17:10.


Tuesday, January 14, 2019

Meeting opened at 9:43.

8.5 members represented: Adobe, Apple, Emojipedia, Google, Microsoft, Netflix, UCB, IBM, Facebook(proxy).

B.11.3 Issue 381: Proposed Update UAX #45, U-Source Ideographs
B.11.3.1.1 General feedback [L2/19-010
]
B.11.3.2 Document for review [Jenkins, et al, L2/19-028
]

[158-A20] Action Item for John Jenkins: Update USourceData.txt based on UAX #45 feedback from Eiso Chan, for Unicode version 12.0.

[158-A21] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Respond to Eiso Chan regarding feedback on PRI #381.

[158-A22] Action Item for John Jenkins, Editorial Committee: Add a table to UAX #45 listing all the source identifiers, for version 13.0. See 2018-12-05 feedback on PRI #381 from Richard Cook.

[158-A23] Action Item for John Jenkins, Editorial Committee: Update the text in section 2.1 of UAX #45 to add status A & B and update status U, based on feedback in PRI #381 from William Nelson, for Unicode version 12.0.

[158-A24] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Respond to William Nelson regarding feedback on PRI #381.

[158-A25] Action Item for John Jenkins: Add A & B to the header of USourceData.txt, and also update "U". See PRI #381 feedback.

[158-A26] Action Item for John Jenkins: Raise the unifiability of UTC-00777 and U+6ECB to the IRG.

[158-A27] Action Item for John Jenkins: Update 3 entries in USourceData.txt, for version 12.0:
• UK-01320 status "E"
• UK-02830 status "B", U+238A7
• UK-02849 status "C", U+2A909

[158-A28] duplicate Action Item deleted.

[158-A29] Action Item for John Jenkins: Update the additional USource ideographs, as documented in feedback on PRI #381 from William Nelson, for Unicode version 12.0: UTC-00539, UTC-00531, UTC-00536.

[158-A30] Action Item for John Jenkins: Update any "U" status that should go to A, B, C, D, or E, as appropriate, in USourceData.txt for version 12.0.

[158-A31] Action Item for John Jenkins: Submit a proposed horizontal extension to the IRG consisting of all characters in UAX #45 whose status indicates that they are encoded but without a USource identifier.

B.11.3.1.2 Add one IDU character for the place name to UAX#45 [Chan, L2/19-011]

[158-C5] Consensus: Add the character documented at the bottom of page 2 to L2/19-011 to UAX #45, for Unicode version 13.0.

[158-A32] Action Item for John Jenkins: Add an IDU character to UAX #45 for Unicode version 13.0, as per above Consensus 158-C5. See also L2/19-011.

B.11.3.1.3 Proposal to add one U-source ideograph [Chung, L2/19-043]

[158-C6] Consensus: Add the character documented in L2/19-043 to UAX #45, for Unicode version 13.0.

[158-A33] Action Item for John Jenkins: Add one character to UAX #45 for Unicode version 13.0, as per above Consensus 158-C6. See also L2/19-043.

[158-A34] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Respond to authors of L2/19-011 and L2/19-043 regarding dispositions of the documents.

Short break.

B.11.4 Issue 382: Proposed Update UAX #38, Unicode Han Database (Unihan) B.11.4.1.1 General feedback [L2/19-010]

[158-A35] Action Item for John Jenkins: Update kIRG_KSource and others per Ken Lunde's feedback of October 11 and November 6 in PRI #382, for Unicode version 12.0.

[158-A36] Action Item for John Jenkins: Update UnihanVariants.txt based on feedback from CNMan, November 7, 2018 in PRI #382.

[158-A37] Action Item for John Jenkins, Editorial Committee: Document the known issue of kHanYu property with incorrect casing in UAX #38, for Unicode version 12.0.

[158-A38] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Relay feedback to Eiso Chan on his feedback of November 8, 2018, in PRI #382.

[158-A39] Action Item for John Jenkins, Editorial Committee: Update the description of kIRG_USource in UAX #38 to list all four prefixes explicitly, for Unicode version 12.0. See PRI #382 feedback.

[158-A40] Action Item for John Jenkins, Editorial Committee: Update section 4.4 of UAX #38 based on December 5, 2018 feedback from Cook and Whistler on PRI #382, for Unicode version 13.0.

[158-A41] Action Item for John Jenkins, Editorial Committee: Update section 3.7.1 of UAX #38 based on feedback from open-air-quotes Anonymous Person close-air-quotes in PRI #382.

[158-A42] Action Item for John Jenkins, Editorial Committee: Update the description of kKorean in UAX #38, based on feedback from Jaemin Chung in PRI #382.

[158-A42a] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Respond to Jaemin Chung re PRI #382 feedback.

B.11.4.1.4 Revised Regular Expressions in UAX #38 [Jenkins, L2/19-014]

[158-A43] Action Item for John Jenkins, Editorial Committee: Update the regex for UAX #38 to accommodate Extension G, for Unicode version 13.0. See document L2/19-014.

B.11.4.1.3.1 Response to L2/18-281 (Comments on proposed Vietnamese Reading Marks) [Collins, L2/18-318]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Short break.

B.11.14 Issue 393: Proposed Update UAX #42, Unicode Character Database in XML
B.11.14.1.1 General feedback [L2/19-010
]
B.11.14.2 Document for review

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.12 Issue 391: Proposed Update UTS #39, Unicode Security Mechanisms
B.11.12.1.1 General feedback [L2/19-010
]
B.11.12.2 Document for review [Davis, et al, L2/19-035
]

[158-A44] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: In UTS #39 Table 1, clarify the exclusions for Not_XID, with particuar attention to those raised by Manish Goregaokar in document L2/18-274. For Unicode version 12.0.

[158-A45] Action Item for Mark Davis: In UTS #39 review the exclusions for Not_XID and propose changes for consistency, for Unicode version 13.0. See also immediately previous action 158-A44.

[158-C7] Consensus: Authorize publication of UTS #39 version 12.0.

[158-A46] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Prepare text of UTS #39 version 12.0 for publication.

[158-A47] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post UTS #39 version 12.0.

[158-A48] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #391.

Lunch break 12:15 - 1:30.

B.11.5.1.4 Linebreaks inside numbers [Muller, L2/19-042]

[158-A49] Action Item for Andy Heninger, Editorial Committee: Update UAX #14 to point to the CLDR tailoring, for version 12.0.

B.11.5.1.3 Linebreak property value of U+00AD SOFT HYPHEN [Muller, L2/19-041]

[158-A50] Action Item for Andy Heninger: Follow up with Eric Muller about document L2/19-041.

B.11.2 Issue 380: Proposed Update UTS #51, Unicode Emoji
B.11.2.2 Document for review [Davis, et al, L2/19-027
]

[158-C8] Consensus: Accept the changes in L2/18-340.

[158-A51] Action Item for Peter Edberg, Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Make UTS #51 updates as documented in L2/18-340 and all other final changes in emoji data for version 12.0.

[158-A52] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg: Make appropriate changes in final emoji data files for version 12.0.

[158-A53] Action Item for Mark Davis: Regenerate the final emoji charts for version 12.0.

B.11.2.1.2 ESC comments on 2019Q1 feedback from PRIs 387, 380, 392 [ESC/Edberg, L2/19-020]
B.11.13.1.2 ESC comments on 2019Q1 feedback from PRIs 387, 380, 392 [ESC/Edberg, L2/19-020
]

[158-A54] Action Item for Peter Edberg, Mark Davis, Editorial Comittee: Add the quoted text in Issue A of PRI #392 feedback in document L2/19-020 to version 12.0 of UTS #51.

[158-A55] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #392.

B.11.8.1.2 ESC comments on 2019Q1 feedback from PRIs 387, 380, 392 [ESC/Edberg, L2/19-020]

[158-A56] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Charlotte Buff feedback of November 18, 2018 on PRI #387.

[158-A57] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #387.

Short break.

B.11.4.1.5 Proposed Overhaul of kZVariant Data in the Unihan Database [Jenkins, L2/19-015]

[158-A58] Action Item for John Jenkins: Make sure that the Z-variant issue is discussed on the Unihan mail list and bring the results of the discussion back to the second quarter UTC 2019.

B.11.4 Issue 382: Proposed Update UAX #38, Unicode Han Database (Unihan)
B.11.4.2 Document for review [Jenkins, et al, L2/19-029
]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.3.1 Liaison report [Lunde, Jenkins, L2/18-322]

Discussion. Oral report by Ken Lunde.

B.11.4.1.3.1Response to L2/18-281 (Comments on proposed Vietnamese Reading Marks) [Collins, L2/18-318]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Short break.

B.11.10 Issue 389: Unicode 12.0.0 Beta
B.11.10.1.1 General feedback [L2/19-010
]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.2 Issue 380: Proposed Update UTS #51, Unicode Emoji
B.11.2.2 Document for review [Davis, et al, L2/19-027
]

[158-C9] Consensus: Authorize the publication of UTS #51 and its associated data files.

[158-A59] Action Item for Peter Edberg, Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Update version 12.0 of UTS #51 for publication.

[158-A60] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post UTS #51 version 12.0.

[158-A61] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #380.

B.11.15 Issue 394: Proposed Update UAX #9, Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm
B.11.15.2 Document for review [Davis, et al, L2/19-037
]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.9 Issue 388: Proposed Update UAX #34, Unicode Named Character Sequences
B.11.9.2 Document for review [Phillips, L2/19-033
]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.10.1.2 Comment on spelling of 11FD8 character name [Lodewijck, L2/18-336]

[158-C10] Consensus: Change the name of U+11FD8 from TAMIL SIGN UZHAAKKU to TAMIL SIGN UZHAKKU.

[158-A62] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Fix Unicode data files for the name correction for U+11FD8 TAMIL SIGN UZHAKKU and drive the regeneration process for version 12.0.

[158-A63] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Communicate the fix of the typo in the name of U+11FD8 to the Tamil expert community. See L2/18-336 and above consensus 158-C10.

B.14.2 Broaden the scope of what Unicode calls “properties” [Bynens, L2/18-337]
B.14.2.1 Comments on L2/18-337 - Broaden the scope of what Unicode calls “properties” [Saboff, L2/19-056]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Meeting adjourned at 17:25.


Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Meeting opened at 9:40.

7.5 members represented: Adobe, Apple(proxy), Emojipedia, Google, Microsoft, UCB, IBM, Facebook.

D.2 Proposal to encode LISU LETTER YHA in the UCS [Evans, L2/18-338R]

[158-C11] Consensus: Accept LISU LETTER YHA at U+11FB0, in block "Lisu Supplement" 11FB0..11FBF, for encoding in a future version of the standard. See document L2/18-338R.

[158-A64] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add U+11FB0 LISU LETTER YHA to the pipeline. See document L2/18-338R.

[158-A65] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+11FB0 LISU LETTER YHA to document requesting future additions. See document L2/18-338R.

[158-A66] Action Item for Lorna Evans: Provide a font for printing U+11FB0 LISU LETTER YHA to Michel Suignard.

D.4 Proposal to encode ORIYA SIGN OVERLINE in the UCS [Evans, L2/19-005]

[158-C12] Consensus: Accept U+0B55 ORIYA SIGN OVERLINE with ISC = "vowel dependent", InPC = "top" for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[158-A67] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add U+0B55 ORIYA SIGN OVERLINE to the pipeline.

[158-A68] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+0B55 ORIYA SIGN OVERLINE to document requesting future additions.

[158-A69] Action Item for Lorna Evans: Investigate how the character U+0B55 ORIYA SIGN OVERLINE should be rendered if used with non-spacing vowel signs, such as U+0B3F.

D.3.1 Syloti Nagri feedback [Srinidhi, L2/18-259]
D.3.2 Syloti Nagri feedback on L2/18-259 [Evans, L2/19-023
]

[158-C13] Consensus: Change the Indic Syllabic category for U+A806 SYLOTI NAGRI SIGN HASANTA from "Pure_Killer" to "Virama", for Unicode version 12.0.

[158-A70] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Change the Indic Syllabic category for U+A806 SYLOTI NAGRI SIGN HASANTA from "Pure_Killer" to "Virama", for Unicode version 12.0.

[158-A71] Action Item for Deborah Anderson, Editorial Committee: Incorporate information from L2/19-023 and L2/19-024 into the core spec, for Unicode version 13.0.

D.3.3 Proposal to encode SYLOTI NAGRI SIGN ALTERNATE HASANTA in the UCS [Evans, L2/19-024]

[158-C14] Consensus: Accept U+A82C SYLOTI NAGRI SIGN ALTERNATE HASANTA, with Indic Syllabic category "Pure_Killer", for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[158-A72] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add U+A82C SYLOTI NAGRI SIGN ALTERNATE HASANTA to the pipeline.

[158-A73] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+A82C SYLOTI NAGRI SIGN ALTERNATE HASANTA to document requesting future additions.

Short break.

E.2 Proposal to add characters from legacy computers and teletext to the UCS [Ewell, et al, L2/19-025]

[158-C15] Consensus: Accept 212 characters from legacy computers and teletext in a new block "Symbols for Legacy Computing", 1FB00..1FBFF with names, codepoints, and properties as given in L2/19-025, and two arrows U+1F8B0 ARROW POINTING UPWARDS THEN NORTH WEST and U+1F8B1 ARROW POINTING RIGHTWARDS THEN CURVING SOUTH WEST, for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[158-A74] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add 214 legacy computing characters to the pipeline. See document L2/19-025.

[158-A75] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add 214 legacy computing characters to document requesting future additions. See document L2/19-025.

[158-A76] Action Item for Lisa Moore, Doug Ewell: Provide a font to Michel Suignard for 214 legacy computing characters. See document L2/19-025.

A.5.1.1 Approve UTC meeting 157 minutes [L2/18-272]

[158-C16] Consensus: Approve minutes of UTC meeting #157, as documented in L2/18-272 and amended in discussion.

E.5 Proposal for addition of mask work symbol [Shirriff, L2/18-339]

[158-C17] Consensus: Accept U+1F1AD MASK WORK SYMBOL for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[158-A77] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add U+1F1AD MASK WORK SYMBOL to the pipeline.

[158-A78] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+1F1AD MASK WORK SYMBOL to document requesting future additions.

[158-A79] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to submitter of L2/18-339.

Rollcall adjustment: Netflix is now represented. Apple is now represented in person.

8.5 members represented: Adobe, Apple, Emojipedia, Google, Microsoft, UCB, IBM, Facebook, Netflix.

C.7 Proposal for encoding the Yezidi script in the SMP of the UCS [Rovenchak, et al, L2/19-051]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

D.10 Request for clarification on historical conjuncts involving Chillus [Johny, L2/18-346]

[158-A80] Action Item for Liang Hai, Editorial Committee: Update the core spec based on section 2.2.4 of L2/18-346 for Unicode version 13.0.

[158-A81] Action Item for Michel Suignard, Liang Hai: Communicate with ICANN to make sure recommendations regarding chillu forms align with the text of the core spec.

Short break.

C.11 Annotation modifications for Miao block [Chan, L2/18-326]

[158-A82] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Update annotations for Miao, based on document L2/18-326.

D.5 Correcting the name and position of U+262C currently labeled as ADI SHAKTI but, is Sikh religion's symbol ☬ 'Khanda' [Singh, L2/18-313]

[158-A83] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update annotations for U+262C for Unicode version 12.0, based on L2/18-313 and the script ad-hoc feedback L2/19-047.

[158-A84] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Respond to submitter of L2/18-313 based on the script ad-hoc feedback in L2/19-047.

C.5.1 Annotation additions for U+2C71 LATIN SMALL LETTER V WITH HOOK [Chan, L2/18-324]

[158-A85] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Add an annotation to U+2C71 LATIN SMALL LETTER V WITH HOOK based on L2/18-324, for Unicode version 12.0.

Lunch break and ad-hoc meetings, 12:20 - 13:40.

B.14.8 Extending the ScriptExtensions property of Ardhavisarga for Oriya [Shrinidhi, Shridatta, L2/18-330]

[158-A86] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Add Oriya to the ScriptExtensions property of U+1CF2 for Unicode version 12.0.

B.14.1 Properties of U+A9BD JAVANESE CONSONANT SIGN KERET [Liang, L2/19-004]

[158-C18] Consensus: Change the properties of U+A9BD JAVANESE CONSONANT SIGN KERET to gc="Mn", IPC="Bottom", ISC="Consonant_Medial", for Unicode version 12.0.

[158-A87] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Change the InPC and InSC categories of U+A9BD JAVANESE CONSONANT SIGN KERET to InPC="Bottom", InSC="Consonant_Medial", for Unicode version 12.0. See document L2/19-004.

[158-A88] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update annotations for U+A9BD JAVANESE CONSONANT SIGN KERET, for Unicode version 12.0. See document L2/19-004.

[158-A89] Action Item for Liang Hai, Editorial Committee: Update the description of U+A9BD JAVANESE CONSONANT SIGN KERET in the core spec, for Unicode version 13.0. See document L2/19-004.

C.5.2 Proposal to encode the LATIN CAPITAL LETTER AT for Koalib orthography and gender inclusive language in Portuguese and Spanish [Silva, L2/19-006]

[158-A90] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Relay script ad-hoc feedback to Eduardo Marín Silva, based on document L2/19-047.

C.9.2 Comments on three Arabic-derived letters [Lodewijck, L2/19-002]

[158-A91] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Investigate the background on document L2/19-002 and report back to UTC.

[158-A92] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Follow up on document L2/19-002 with Joe Becker.

E.1.2 ESC Candidate Recommendations for 2019Q1 UTC [ESC/Burge, L2/19-018R]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Short break.

C.3.2 Comments on L2/18-293 and L2/18-294 [Liang, L2/18-316]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.8 Revised draft for the encoding of an extended Egyptian Hieroglyphs repertoire First Tranche: Human, God and Goddess [Suignard, L2/19-052]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.1.2 ESC Candidate Recommendations for 2019Q1 UTC [ESC/Burge, L2/19-018R]

[158-C19] Consensus: Accept 11 provisional emoji candidates for Emoji 13.0, based on document L2/19-018R.

[158-A93] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg: Update and post the provisional candidate charts for emoji 13.0, based on document L2/19-018R.

B.12.1 Draft for Proposed Update UTS#46, Unicode IDNA Compatibility Processing [Davis, Suignard, L2/19-048]

[158-C20] Consensus: Approve the publication of UTS #46 based on document L2/19-048.

[158-A94] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Make final edits and prepare UTS #46 version 12.0 for publication, including comments raised during discussion.

[158-A95] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post version 12.0 of UTS #46.

B.11.11 Issue 390: Proposed Update UAX #29, Unicode Text Segmentation
B.11.11.2 Document for review [Davis, L2/19-034
]

[158-A96] Action Item for Steven Loomis, Mark Davis: Follow up on Georgian sentence break.

[158-A97] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Prepare UAX #29 for publication in Unicode version 12.0.

B.14.7 Feedback on Properties [Pournader, L2/19-054]

[158-A98] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Investigate document L2/19-054 for further additions to ScriptExtensions, for Unicode version 13.0.

Discussion of this document to continue later.

Meeting adjourned for the day at 17:30.


Thursday, January 17, 2019

Meeting opened at 9:45.

8 members represented: Adobe, Apple, Facebook, IBM, Google, Microsoft, Netflix, UCB

B.14.7 Feedback on Properties [Pournader, L2/19-054]

[158-C21] Consensus: Change the script property of U+0953 DEVANAGARI GRAVE ACCENT and U+0954 DEVANAGARI ACUTE ACCENT from "Devanagari" to "Inherited", for Unicode version 12.0.

[158-A99] Action Item for Markus Scherer: Change the script property of U+0953 DEVANAGARI GRAVE ACCENT and U+0954 DEVANAGARI ACUTE ACCENT from "Devanagari" to "Inherited", for Unicode version 12.0.

[158-A100] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Write a proposal about deprecation criteria. Also consider feedback from Charlotte Buff Oct 15 06:30:35 CDT 2018 in L2/19-010.

[158-A101] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Add annotations to U+0953 DEVANAGARI GRAVE ACCENT and U+0954 DEVANAGARI ACUTE ACCENT in the nameslist for Unicode version 12.0.

[158-A102] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Update the text of the core spec for U+0953 DEVANAGARI GRAVE ACCENT and U+0954 DEVANAGARI ACUTE ACCENT, in Unicode version 13.0.

[158-A103] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader, Norbert Lindenberg: Investigate potential changes to Indic_Syllabic_Category for Khmer characters mentioned in L2/19-054.

[158-A104] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Investigate potential changes to Indic_Syllabic_Category for U+0AFB GUJARATI SIGN SHADDA.

[158-A105] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Follow up with submitter Zachary Scheuren on properties for U+11C44 BHAIKSUKI GAP FILLER-1 and U+11C45 BHAIKSUKI GAP FILLER-2 and follow up with submitter of comments documented in L2/19-054.

B.11.10 Issue 389: Unicode version 12.0.0 Beta
B.11.10.1.1 General feedback [L2/19-010
]
B.11.10.1.2 Comment on spelling of 11FD8 character name [Lodewijck, L2/18-336
]
B.11.10.2 Document for review [L2/19-029
]

[158-A106] Action Item for Liang Hai, Roozbeh Pournader: Investigate David Corbett's feedback of Nov 25 and Nov 29, 2018 on the Unicode version 12.0 beta.

[158-A107] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to David Corbett regarding his feedback on the Unicode version 12.0 beta.

[158-A108] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Erik Carvalhal Miller regarding his feedback on the Unicode version 12.0 beta.

[158-A109] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Markus Scherer, Editorial Committee: Update the FAQ on collation per Marc Lodewijck's feedback of January 3, 2019 in PRI #389.

[158-A110] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Marc Lodewijck regarding his feedback on the Unicode version 12.0 beta.

[158-A111] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the general category of U+1E14F NYIAKENG PUACHUE HMONG CIRCLED CA from gc="Lo" to "So", for Unicode version 12.0.

[158-A112] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to David Corbett regarding his feedback on the Unicode version 12.0 beta.

[158-A113] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #389.

B.11.16.1.1 General feedback [L2/19-010]

[158-A114] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Update the text of UTR #36 to correct the discussion of PEP-383, changing some occurrences of D881 to DC81. See feedback from Tex Texin (Sat Jan 12 15:46:54 CST 2019) in L2/19-010.

[158-A115] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the nameslist for Old Hungarian letters, based on feedback from David Corbett (Mon Sep 17 12:52:48 CDT 2018) in L2/19-010.

[158-A116] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Respond to David Corbett regarding his feedback on Psalter Pahlavi number shaping rules; see L2/19-010.

[158-A117] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Fix subheader for U+0971 DEVANAGARI SIGN HIGH SPACING DOT as reported by David Corbett in L2/19-010.

[158-A118] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Make updates to definition of logical order in the glossary, based on feedback from Norbert Lindenberg (Thu Dec 13 23:07:02 CST 2018) in L2/19-010.

B.1.3.2 Additional repertoire for ISO/IEC 10646:2017 (6th ed.) CD, Revised [Suignard, L2/18-302]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.13.3 Approve Unicode V12.0

[158-C22] Consensus: Approve the publication of Unicode version 12.0 UAXes.

[158-A119] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close the open PRIs for UAXes for 12.0.

[158-A120] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post the UAXes for Unicode version 12.0.

[158-C23] Consensus: Approve the release Unicode version 12.0.

[158-A121] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Release Unicode version 12.0.

C.4 Suspicious identity of U+A9B5 JAVANESE VOWEL SIGN TOLONG [Liang, L2/19-003]

[158-A122] Action Item for Liang Hai, Editorial Committee: Draft text clarifying the history and usage of U+A9B4 JAVANESE VOWEL SIGN TARUNG and U+A9B5 JAVANESE VOWEL SIGN TOLONG for the core spec, for Unicode version 13.0.

C.9.1 Application to include Arabic alphabet shapes to Arabic 0600 Unicode character set [Khair, L2/18-344]

[158-C24] Consensus: Recommend that the carrier-less hamza above be represented by the sequence <U+0640 ARABIC TATWEEL, U+0654 ARABIC HAMZA ABOVE>.

[158-A123] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader, Editorial Committee: Document in the core spec that the carrier-less hamza above be represented by the sequence <U+0640 ARABIC TATWEEL, U+0654 ARABIC HAMZA ABOVE>, for Unicode version 13.0.

[158-A124] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Reply to Mohammad Khair about disposition of L2/18-344.

Lunch and Mongolian ad-hoc, 12:30 - 13:45.

D.6 Proposal for Bindi before Bihari in Gurmukhi [Singh, L2/18-319]

[158-A125] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Relay the script ad-hoc feedback to author of L2/18-319.

C.10.1 Comments and initial review of L2/17-337 [Anderson, L2/18-321]

[158-A126] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Relay the script ad-hoc feedback and document L2/18-321 to the Naxi Dongba experts. See also L2/17-337.

D.8 Comments on Public Review Issues (Indic Siyaq Numbers) [L2/18-274]

[158-A127] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader, Editorial Committee: Draft text for the core spec on how to write lakhs and crores, for Unicode version 13.0.

D.7 Comments on Public Review Issues (Chakma) [L2/18-274]

[158-A128] Action Item for Liang Hai, Andrew Glass: Sort out the problems with Chakma encoding. See script ad-hoc report, document L2/19-047.

E.4 Proposal to add the Open Four character to Unicode [Franke, L2/18-323]

[158-A129] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Relay the script ad-hoc feedback to the author of L2/18-323.

D.9 Takri [Anderson, L2/18-300]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Short break.

E.6 Pointing out a major inconsistency on past decisions to encode new symbols [Silva, L2/18-342]

[158-A130] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to submitter of L2/18-342.

E.3 Proposal for encoding symbols for visual acuity charts [Silva, L2/19-012]

[158-A131] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to submitter of L2/19-012.

C.6 Revised proposal to encode Old Uyghur in Unicode [Pandey, L2/19-016]
C.12 Bété script working documents [Anderson, et al, L2/19-044
]
C.13 New charts for Northern and Southern Palaeohispanic [Ferrer, L2/19-045
]

Oral reports by Deborah Anderson on C.6, C.12, C.13. UTC took no action at this time.

E.7 Proposal to Encode Znamenny Musical Notation in Unicode (Preliminary and Incomplete) [Andreev, et al, L2/19-053]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.1.6 Review of document requesting new additions [Anderson]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

UTC adjourned for the week at 15:40.


UTC Attendance

Person Representing
Deborah Anderson U.C. Berkeley
Dragan Besevic Netflix
Jeremy Burge Emojipedia
Shane Carr Google
Nebojša Ćirić Google
Florencia Coelho Emojination
Lee Collins Netflix
Peter Constable Microsoft
Richard Cook Unicode
Matthieu Credou BZH
Craig Cummings VMware
Jennifer Daniel Google
Mark Davis Google
Peter Edberg Apple
Kara Fong Facebook
Chester Fung Netflix
Liang Hai Unicode
Ned Holbrook Apple
Marek Jeziorek Google
Huang Junliang self
Jennifer 8. Lee Emojination
Steven Loomis IBM
Ken Lunde Adobe
Rick McGowan Unicode
Lisa Moore Unicode
Roozbeh Pournader Facebook
Badral Sanlig Bolorsoft
Murray Sargent Microsoft
Markus Scherer Google
Jiali Sheng Microsoft
Michel Suignard Unicode
Tex Texin Xencraft
Ken Whistler Unicode
Shawn Xu Netflix
   
By Phone
Lorna Evans SIL
John Jenkins Apple
   

Members Represented

Full Member

1/14/19

1/15/19

1/16/19

1/17/19

1. Adobe

yes

yes

yes

yes

2. Apple Inc.

yes

yes

yes

yes

3. Facebook

yes

yes

yes

yes

4. Google, Inc.

yes

yes

yes

yes

5. Huawei

6. IBM Corporation

yes

yes

yes

yes

7. Microsoft Corporation

yes

yes

yes

yes

8. Netflix

yes

yes

yes

yes

9. Oracle America, Inc.

10. SAP AG

11. Shopify

12. Sultanate of Oman, MARA

Institutional Member

1. Bangladesh, MSICT

2. India, MICT

3. Tamil Nadu, TVA

4. UCB

yes

yes

yes

yes

Supporting Member

1. Emojipedia

yes

yes

yes

2. Monotype Imaging Corp

Associate Member

1. Emojination

yes

yes

yes

2. SIL

yes

Individual Member

1. Craig Cummings

yes

yes

yes

yes

2. Jennifer Lee

yes

yes

yes

3. Liang Hai

yes

yes

yes

yes

4. Tex Texin

yes

yes

Liaison Member


Members not in regular attendance: Bangladesh, Huawei, Tamil Nadu, Oracle, SAP, Shopify, Sultanate of Oman

·Total full members in regular attendance:  7

·Total institutional members in regular attendance: 1

·Total supporting members in regular attendance: 1

·Quorum: 4.5