The Unicode Consortium Discussion Forum

The Unicode Consortium Discussion Forum

Forum Home  Unicode Home Page Code Charts Technical Reports FAQ Pages 

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Use this forum for technical discussion of UAXes 11, 14, 15, 24, 29, 31, 34, 42, and 44. Technical discussion of UTSes 6, 10, 18, 22, 39, and 46. Technical discussion of UTRs 16, 17, 20, 23, 25, 26, 33, and 36, as well as the related properties and files in the Unicode Character Database.

Post subject: how to create merged "unicode character database" ???
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:02 am 

I've read UAX #44 several times, but I still don't understand several important issues.

For my project, I need to create a single equivalent of the "unicode character database" in the internal format of my application. My database should contain all "potentially useful" properties for every character, which I assume includes pretty much everything except properties that only exist to help create other properties. My database needs to contain every character, even code points that are not [yet] defined or explicitly excluded (like maybe the low and high surrogates, private code points, and who knows what else).

No matter how many times I read UAX #44, I can't seem to figure out what steps need to be taken in what order to create a complete database with all useful properties. And I guess I need the equivalent process for the other ZIP file too (for CJKV/asian/chinese characters). Does this information exist anywhere? I'm willing to buy any book that contains a detailed explanation.

Post subject: Re: how to create merged "unicode character database" ???
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:33 pm 
Unicode Guru

Have you looked at UAX#42?

The XML format of the Unicode Character Database does a lot of the work for you in terms of presenting a single database.

And for the information re: the Unihan database you don't need any book, but only need to read UAX#38.

The link from where you can find all of these is http://www.unicode.org/reports, but you should also have seen references to these in UAX#44. (If those are missing or confusingly hard to find for you, please file a bug using the contact form accessible on the home page under "contact us").