The Unicode Consortium Discussion Forum

The Unicode Consortium Discussion Forum

Forum Home  Unicode Home Page Code Charts Technical Reports FAQ Pages 

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Character-glyph model
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:18 am 

When you need to change a character's posture or appearance, depending on the writing mode, you also need to know on which abstraction layer the conversion should take place, viz. on the level of characters or that of glyphs.

For example, as stated in GB/T 15834-1995, opening and closing, single and double quotes U+2018/U+2019 and U+201C/U+201D should be represented and encoded as U+300C/U+300D and U+300E/U+300F in China. It is important that, in principle, this conversion should be done on the level of characters, not of glyphs, regardless of whether it is done manually by the author/editor or automatically in a transcoding process in the system.

Also, such transcoding can have problems, unless it is predictable to all processes in the entire system of text processing. As far as Japanese text is concerned, I do not expect any situations of this kind of transcoding to frequently occur.

Just my thoughts . . . thanks.

Post subject: Re: Character-glyph model
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:33 pm 
Unicode Guru

+1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:36 pm 

Thanks, Eric.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:07 pm 

I don't have strong preferences but I'm not to opposed to your idea.

From what I guess what you wanted to say, sorry if this is my misunderstanding, but you're talking about Chinese' expectation of orientation for quotes, right?

There seems to be misunderstanding around in many MLs and twitters, but if I understand correctly, your concern was already resolved as you said, and what UTR#50 is discussing is different thing, so you should be relaxed.

For example, all Chinese fonts in Windows 8 RP do NOT have glyphs of U+300C-300F in place of vert for U+2018-201D, so it looks like Microsoft is in agree with you.

One point Microsoft and you are not in agree is that, these fonts have upright quotes glyphs in vert table, so Chinese expect U for U+2018-201D.

Your concern in this topic is valid and accepted, but that does not necessarily determine orientations of quotes.