The Unicode Consortium Discussion Forum

The Unicode Consortium Discussion Forum

Forum Home  Unicode Home Page Code Charts Technical Reports FAQ Pages 

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Proper character for Ukrainian apostrophe?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:17 pm 

I'm wondering about proper character to use as apostrophe in Ukrainian language.
Ukrainian apostrophe is defined as "nonletter orthographical mark" depicted as upper comma, and it cancels palatalization of preceding consonant in certain circumstances (when it would be palatalized by the following iotified character otherwise). It is also used same way as in English, to mark omission of one or more letters.
Its definition opposes him to the punctuation marks, so I even have no clue what is right category to look for "nonletter orthographical mark". May be Mo?
Section 7 of standard has no a single word about apostrophe usage in Ukrainian.

And here is current situation with characters used to represent that apostrophe:
In DOS/early Windows times straight apostrophe that later become U+0027 was most commonly used. But all Ukrainian keyboard layouts for Microsoft Windows prior to Windows Vista didn't contain any apostrophe at all, so it was common to use " or * instead. Starting with Windows Vista U+0027 returned back, and that is I guess currently most distributed character to represent Ukrainian apostrophe across the internet. Next step was done by Linux.org.ua community that introduced right single quotation mark U+2019 as default apostrophe on their Ukrainian layout, that afterwards became a standard for all Linux distributions. It was choosen due to the fact that was relatively good supported by both fonts and software (that was normalizing it to the same U+0027) and has proper visual.
Other alternative is modifier letter apostrophe U+02BC, that is defined as "glottal stop, glottalization, ejective". It's bit closer to what is needed (modifying letter instead of punctuation, not right in the terms of Ukrainian othography rulebook, but in Unicode terms it sounds quite right), but description is about something completely different, and it really lacks support of both software and fonts as considered to be belonging to really rare languages. E.g. googling words with U+02BC won't find anything typed with U+0027 or U+2019, that are already widely used. On the other hand, Ukrainian domain registrators pushed U+02BC to ICANN for the use in Ukrainian domain names.
So we're having real zoo with representation.

Throwing away support issues and backward compatibility, the question is: what is the right character to use? I can bet that is neither U+0027, nor U+2019. It can be either U+02BC, or some character both me and community missed, or completely new character because U+02BC doesn't fit.

Any ideas on the subject?
Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Proper character for Ukrainian apostrophe?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:58 am 

U+02BC is the character used in the Ukrainian Character auxiliary in CLDR.
It has the right properties. Its description is to be read by line:
    glottal stop, glottalization, ejective
    many languages use this as a letter of their alphabets
    used as a tone marker in Bodo, Dogri, and Maithili
    2019 is the preferred character for a punctuation apostrophe
The second line is relevant to Ukrainian.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:56 am 

Thank you. That makes sense.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:29 am 

U+2019 is the recommended character for contractions. On that basis, I would say that U+2019 is the correct character for Ukrainian. Note that the Ukrainian character is described as a 'nonletter'.