The Unicode Consortium Discussion Forum

The Unicode Consortium Discussion Forum

Forum Home  Unicode Home Page Code Charts Technical Reports FAQ Pages 

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quarter Tone Sharp and Flat: source of representative glyphs
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:35 am 

I'm curious about the source of the representative glyphs in the code charts for U+1D132 QUARTER TONE SHARP and U+1D133 QUARTER TONE FLAT: smaller versions of the sharp and flat signs with an angular loop above like a conjoined digit 4. Where did they come from? I have never seen these symbols anywhere else. Gardner Read, in Music Notation: A Manual of Modern Practice, shows four different systems of quarter tone accidentals, none of which include those. Kurt Stone's Music Notation in the Twentieth Century: A Practical Guide likewise does not include them (granted, he does not claim that his examples are comprehensive). Read's later 20th Century Microtonal Notation, which includes a list of examples of different systems used by a great number of composers, includes only the flat, only associated with the composer Barbara Pentland, whose quarter tone sharp symbol is formed differently. Pentland is pretty obscure, so she seems an unlikely source, and at any rate that only accounts for the flat. The closest I can find to the sharp sign with conjoined 4 above is the system used by David Eddleman, who uses a ¼ above the sharp or flat with the denominator attached to the accidental in that manner but does not use either without the ⅟ above.

The most common symbols for half-sharps and half-flats, according to Read's survey, are a literal half sharp symbol (a vertical line with two parallel diagonal crossbars) sometimes attributed to Giuseppi Tartini, and a reversed flat symbol. These are also the ones that Stone recommends as "other quarter-tone accidentals" (his preference is for accidentals with attached up and down arrowheads, separately encoded in Unicode).

FWIW, these systems also generally include symbols for three quarter tone sharps and flats, which are not currently included in Unicode.

Post subject: Re: Quarter Tone Sharp and Flat: source of representative gl
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:29 pm 
Engineer

Sorry, I just noticed this had no answer yet... The original proposal was written by Perry Roland (University of Virginia) circa 2006. The proposal itself is available here, and includes a list of references:

Original:
http://www.unicode.org/L2/L1998/98045.pdf

Commentary:
http://www.unicode.org/L2/L1999/99392-musym.pdf

There may be other documents in the register that are related to this, but those are the ones I can put my finger on right now.

Roland's original proposal at UV has been long since taken down.

I would be happy to discuss the issues via e-mail, if you have further detailed questions.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:58 am 

Thank you! It looks like I'll have to track down some of those books.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:01 am 

OK, I've now checked most of those references out, but I have not been successful in tracking down the source for those glyphs.