The Unicode Consortium Discussion Forum (CLOSED)

The Unicode Consortium Discussion Forum (CLOSED)

The forum has been closed, but prior postings are accessible for reading.
 Forum Home  Unicode Home Page Code Charts Technical Reports FAQ Pages 

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: I don't find the code of combined unicode characters
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:31 am 

Hello,
i want to combine the characters(ALPHA ,open e,u bar,open o ,turned e ) with diacritics (GRAVE,ALPHA ACUTE,hacek,macron, CIRCUMFLEX,umlaut) in order to write my language on a website using javascript.
I tried by combining the main code with the diacritic but it didn't work.I have already check the fonts also.
PLease could you help to have the code for the combined characters?
Regards,

Post subject: Re: I don't find the code of combined unicode characters
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:04 pm 

The codes for those characters are alpha/open e/u-bar/open o/turned e, followed by the combining grave/acute/hacek/macron/circumflex/umlaut. There are no precomposed characters for these combinations and will not ever be, as the NFC/NFD/NFKC/NFKD are stable for all existing characters. A combination of any already existing characters absolutely cannot be mapped to a new character. Computer architectures and communications protocols have now been built based on that promise, and it would be a disaster of nearly epic proportions to break it. Please use the combining marks at U+0300..U+036F and U+1DC0..U+1DFF with the regular, unaccented letters.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:34 am 

Thanks Van.Please do you know a font which could display these characters?I have looked for it since months and i cannot display it on the web.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:06 am 

Umm. Times New Roman has all of those characters. ɑ̀ ɛ́ ʉ̌ ɔ̄ ə̂ ǝ̈. It shows up just fine in this forum for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:06 pm 

vanisaac wrote:
Umm. Times New Roman has all of those characters. ɑ̀ ɛ́ ʉ̌ ɔ̄ ə̂ ǝ̈. It shows up just fine in this forum for me.

PLease Van , i am still unable to combined the marks with unaccented characters alpha/open e/u-bar/open o/turned e.
the marks follow the characters but it do not display the final accented character.
PLease could you provide only one example which work at your level ? i will proceed based on it .
Warm Regards,

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:18 am 

Have you tried Times New Roman? I am literally looking at perfectly formed letters using the default forum font. The most ubiquitous fonts should display this just fine. I copied the characters in my last message into OpenOffice, and get properly rendered examples in Aegyptus, Arial, Constructium, all the DejaVus, Gentium, Lucida Sans, Microsoft Sans, Microsoft Uighur, Segoe UI, Simplified Arabic, Tahoma, Times New Roman, and Unifont. Now, I'm sure some of those don't actually have coverage, and OpenOffice was simply displaying fallbacks, but that's still a good dozen actual fonts (I didn't list variants above) on my system that not only displayed each character, but placed all diacritics appropriately.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:24 pm 
Unicode Guru

Van, viewing your sample on XP with Firefox I see the first two characters with accents that are spaced too high, the next two are fine (one suspects a precomposed glyph being substituted) and the one after that has the circumflex shifted to the right. The last one shows fine again.

How do you view the forum?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:02 am 

I'm in Firefox Nightly running on Vista. I don't think the font I am using has Graphite tables, so I don't think that Nightly's Graphite support is somehow working wonders for me. It shows perfectly for me, and I am running an essentially off-the-shelf, three-year-old computer, with a free (as in lunch) web browser.

I tried viewing this page in IE - still works great. I really don't know what to say.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]