Tibetan coding (Re: Version 2.0... #2)

From: John Clews (John@sesame.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 13 1996 - 05:11:32 EST

Tibetan coding:

I echo the concerns raised by Michael Everson on Tibetan.

If Unicode and ISO/IEC 10646 are to be code-point compatible, the body of
Unicode 2.0 should not have any tables that are not yet agreed by
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2.

However, it is obviously important that as many potential users as possible
get to know of proposals that could still be of interest to them.

There are two ways that this can easily be done by the Unicode Consortium:
(a) publish it as a separate document available separately, or
(b) as the Unicode Consortium did in April 1990 with the Version 1.0 preprint
    (ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2 N 609) to publish it as, or as part of, an
    informative annex at the rear of the document, with the actual
    hex and decimal mumbers not indicated for G, P, R or C octets.

In each case the top of the page should prominently state that at time of
publication this table does NOT form part of either the Unicode or ISO/IEC
10646 standards.

> At 19:09 1996-03-11, Mark Davis wrote:

The Unicode Standard 2.0 does contain sections that are not to final
amendment stage yet in 10646, such as Tibetan. The status of this material in
10646 will be clearly marked.

Michael Everson had replied:

--
John Clews (Chair ISO/TC46/SC2 & BSI/IDT/2/5: Conversion of Written Languages)
SESAME Computer Projects, 8 Avenue Road       tel: +44 (0) 1423 888 432