Re: Sort in DBCS

From: Masayuki TOYOSHIMA (mtoyo@Lgjp0.Lit.hokudai.ac.jp)
Date: Thu Apr 18 1996 - 13:23:36 EDT

>Can anyone help me understand if it would be a good idea to sort
>Kanji characters in Unicode order,

  It is.

  In fact, a proposed draft of JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) on
  collation (tobe JIS X4051) demands to collate Kanji characters in the
  order of appearance in the ISO10646-BMP.

  But please note that that is not the ONLY way of sorting Kanjis.
  Kanjis may be sorted by their readings, which are (of cource) language
  and context sensitive.

>or for that matter what is Unicode order?

  Traditional radical-stroke order.
  Unfortunately, dictionaries do not agree on which Kanji should belong
  to which radical : so the Unicode order is not the ONLY possible order.

Masayuki TOYOSHIMA / Dept. of Japanese linguistics, Faculty of Letters,
Hokkaido university, Sapporo 060 Japan, FAX +81-11-726-0919 (24h)
mtoyo@Lit.hokudai.ac.jp, MHA00720@niftyserve.or.jp