Re: I18N of HTML - Hebrew

From: Gavin Nicol (gtn@ebt.com)
Date: Mon May 06 1996 - 21:46:52 EDT

>>In the I18N draft group, we discussed whether they should be markup,
>>or codes, and decided on markup, because they are not really
>>characters.
>
>The way I see it, either you implement Unicode or you don't. I don't think
>you can pick and choose. This is what standards are all about - after a
>thorough and lengthy discussions, a concensus has been reached, and now
>we want to move on. I don't see why we should reopen this discussion.

Sorry, I should have been clearer (too many late working nights
recently).

The reason for making the BIDI formatting codes markup is that we
wanted to make the functionality they offer available in encodings
other than Unicode (the I18N draft does not require Unicode support
for anything other than numeric character reference resolution).