Re: Unicode, Cure-all or Kill-all?

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Sat Aug 10 1996 - 08:30:08 EDT

At 01:14 1996-08-10, Jonathen Rosenne wrote:
>A standard should be based on existing technology.

But ISO10646 and Unicode have, since their inception, been expanded, and
as-yet-unimplemented schemes have been standardized.

>Unicode, to the best of my knowledge, is based on prior implemented technology.
>Some of the OSI standards were innovations, and aren't getting very far
>especially when compared with the TCP/IP alternatives.

The sources used in ISO 10646 can be found in Annex L of the standard. The
sources used in Unicode pp. 645-649 of Volume 1.

>People should not expect standards to solve technology problems. Standards
>should be aimed at standartisation problems, i.e. when several products
>implement similar technologies in incompatible ways.

I disagree. If we can get standardization working efficiently enough, we
could (in some fields) lead implementations.

--
Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta
15 Port Chaeimhghein Íochtarach; Baile Átha Cliath 2; Éire (Ireland)