Re: Unicode & Han

From: Michael Everson (
Date: Sun Aug 11 1996 - 10:51:10 EDT

Huang wrote:

>[I] hope the day will come very soon so that I don't have to find out that
>some characters I want and must use (such as a character for a given
>location or in someone's name) is not in the Unicode and no place to
>turn for solving the problems in an urgent situation (such as writing an
>invoice). As a chemist, I already find that the characters for the
>elements above 100 or so are not in the Unicode character set.

The non-Unicode Apple Chinese software I have allows you to create bitmaps
of your own characters.

>So, from what you said which "character" got in Unicode depended on who
>put them in. Well, I hate to be Chinese now, because our representitives
>failed us badly.

I cannot comment on this. Life is long. Participate in the work!

>If you feel that I told you that you don't respect our culture, please
>accept my apology. I don't mean that personally. In fact, you are a
>better Chinese than I am -- I don't know how to play wei-chi and cook
>Sichuan style.

How did you know I liked Sichuan food? But unlike Glenn I don't speak
Chinese -- I've had to learn how to read Han characters and use Chinese
software in order to typeset some Chinese text. You can see how well or
badly I did in a paper I wrote on encoding the Yi script

>In my understanding on the character coding issue, there is already an
>existing American National Standard, EACC -- ANSI Z39.64, used by the
>libraries worldwide. Why, then, putting so much efforts re-inventing the
>wheel? The originator of the EACC, the CCCII already compiled 75,684
>ideographic characters (in 1989). Why couldn't we start from that and
>support that? Wasting precious resource is not one of the things a
>Buddhist should do.

"Come and look at this world. It is like a royal painted chariot wherein
fools sink. The wise are not imprisoned in the chariot." (Dhammapada 171)

We have what we have. We work to improve it.

Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta
15 Port Chaeimhghein Íochtarach; Baile Átha Cliath 2; Éire (Ireland)
Gutháin:  +353 1 478-2597, +353 1 283-9396