RE: Re: Unicode, Cure-all or Kill-all?

From: Geoff Back (geoff@autocue.MHS.CompuServe.COM)
Date: Tue Aug 13 1996 - 09:54:15 EDT

With all these discussions about whether characters that have separate
codepoints and identical glyphs should have been merged, there is one factor
that no-one has mentioned. Semantic analysis.

Taking the example below, if I am performing semantic analysis on raw Unicode
text for, say, spell checking, there is a clear and vital difference between
Latin "A" and Greek "A". This is where the Unicode definition of a character
comes into it's own.

In the case of Chinese and Japanese ideographs, I don't know a great deal
about the subject, so I can't say much. However it seems to me that given
the apparent need for immense numbers of codepoints, we shouldn't be trying
to get them all into the Unicode set - they should be in 10646, and thus
available to people that need them. Certainly in our application (broadcast
media) the Unicode set is acceptable to our clients using Chinese and
Japanese.

Cheers,

  -- Geoff.