Re: Apple Copland Beta status

From: David Goldsmith (
Date: Tue Aug 13 1996 - 23:17:47 EDT

>Apple recently announced that the release of Copland would be delayed, and
>would take place in stages, rather than all at once as previously planned.
>I am in contact with Adam Samuels <>, who is in
>charge of the Copland Beta program to see whether some of us can get copies
>and try out some Unicode mail.

It's not necessary to get beta copies of Copland to try out Unicode
support; all you need to do is download CyberDog 1.1 (beta or final) from (you'll need OpenDoc as well, but the CyberDog
site points at it). CyberDog 1.1 has the necessary support.

I don't think the 1.1 version supports sending Unicode mail, as it was
added too late in the process to have a UI available. However, it
supports receiving Unicode mail and reading Unicode web pages (or at
least it should, I'm on a trip and haven't been able to check).

David Goldsmith
International Software Architect
Apple Computer, Inc.