Your Message Forwarded

From: Timothy Huang (timd_huang@mail.formac.com.tw)
Date: Fri Aug 16 1996 - 19:48:45 EDT

Hello, Gary Liu

Your message to the comp.software.international is posted as followed.
You do have a good point -- "How their product will shape the culture of
other nations". Many Western vendors some times ignored this is an
important issue. Some of them never thought about that yet. And some of
them just can not think.

As for the Unicode adopting the National Standards, they already did
that. However, that also caused a great deal of problems. Many national
standards were done by imcompetent government people.

Smiles,
Timothy Huang

***********************************
Hi,
I read your post about unicode on the USENET . I want to show my opinion
to the newsgroup too , but I can not post article from my computer now .
Could you be kind to post the following article to newsgroup
comp.software.international for me ?
thank you .

Gary Liu

----------------------------------------------------------------Subject:
current unicode standard -- a bad solution , thus a born loser

I agree with Mr. Timothy Huang , Unicode is not a good solution to
world-wide
computing , but a compromiss of some US computer giants -- those do not
even
care about how their product will shape the culture of other nations
before they sell so-called localized software to the world .

Suppose someday my computer says that this Chinese character can not be
displayed just because it is not a unicode character . I do not want
this kind of computer at all . I am wondering by cutting many characters
of other countries whether unicode could be called "uni" anymore .

I think a real useable unicode standard will at least need 32-bits ,
besides
it should accept other nations' national standards at first . Because
there
are already national standards in other countries such as China, Japan ,
widely accepted and used in the computer industry . Why doesn't unicode
adopt
other nations' standards besides ASCII ?

Here is my proposol , a 4-byte unicode takes the format as :
        Byte3 Byte2 Byte1 Byte0
        country code |<-- national code standard -->|

Gary Liu