Transformation Format

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Thu Aug 29 1996 - 13:24:49 EDT

Gentlemen,

Can we have shut of this deconstructionist analysis?

The engineers who will implement UTF-8 understand the
"transformation format" as a specification for an input
and an output. The ontological status of the "format"
is not at issue.

We will write algorithms that convert 16-bit (or 32-bit)
UCS representations into sequences of UTF-8 octet
representations and back, using the specification. Period.

--Ken Whistler
  Objector to Arbiters of Ambiguous Arboresence