Where precomposed characters came from

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Aug 30 1996 - 14:44:20 EDT

Johnathan commented:

>As far as I can remember, Unicode accepted pre-composed characters as part
>of the great compromise with ISO 10646.

To set the record straight, Unicode 1.0, prior to the great compromise,
already had precomposed characters, to wit, all of the Latin-1 set in
U+00C0..U+00FF, plus a considerable further set to cover European Latin
orthographies in U+0100..U+017E, plus misc. scattered elsewhere.

The additional Latin and Greek precomposed (or rather, "decomposable")
characters which arrived in Unicode as the result of the great compromise are
primarily those in the ranges U+01F1..U+0217 and U+1E00..U+1FFE.

--Ken Whistler