RE: KOI-8

From: Hohberger, Clive P. (cphohber@zebra.com)
Date: Sat Aug 31 1996 - 21:27:00 EDT

Dear Frank,
I can't comment on KOI-8 but I can assure that GOST-- now known as
Gosstandart RF in English
is alive and well (A/K/A "the All-Russia Institiute of Standards"). At least
it was when I gave a lecture there last April on a new barcode technology
which I had developed, Ultracode, which is designed to encode the entire ISO
10646-1 character set, with Unicode 2.0 as its default character set.

You might contact Dr Viatcheslav V. Vassiliev, Head of the Department of
Automatic Identification,
Gosstandart RF, 31 Nakhimovsky Prospect 117418 Moscow. Telephone +7 (095)
245-7028. As I recall, his English was very good. I'm sorry, but I don't
have an E-mail address for him.

I will ask my colleagues in Russia about KOI-8 and report back to the
Unicode mailing list what I learn.

(I promised that I will put in the index of Unicode products on the Web
Site, soon. For more information on Ultracode contact me off line at
 cphohber@zebra.com)

Clive Hohberger
Zebra Technologies Corporation