Re: Unicode in Java

From: David Goldsmith (goldsmith@apple.com)
Date: Sun Sep 08 1996 - 01:03:49 EDT

>Can you give me a reference for this on the Web? What subset of Unicode
>characters is supposed to be supported now? When did the change become
>official? Are there any implementations of the new version? I have been
>going through the Java documentation at Sunsoft, which refers to Unicode
>character strings in several places, but gives no information that I can
>find on the relevant version of Unicode.

The Java JDK 1.0.2 implementation from Javasoft truncates everything to
ISO-8859-1 when drawing strings, because the implementation couldn't
handle anything else. This is mentioned in the Java 1.0.2 API
specification, which is available both at Javasoft's web site
(http://www.javasoft.com/) under the "Developer" section, and as a book.
The file I/O stuff that reads and writes UTF-8 work correctly, though.

This will be fixed in the JDK 1.1 release from Javasoft. Also, Netscape
Navigator 3.0 does a much better job now. It handles most of the scripts
the host OS supports now. The Mac version messes up if you have both
Chinese and Japanese installed; it doesn't handle the non-Japanese
Chinese characters correctly. Still, it handles Latin, Cyrillic, Symbols,
Japanese, and the compatibility area pretty well.

It's hard to implement Unicode rendering on platforms that don't support
Unicode directly, so it's taking a while for vendors to implement this
correctly.

David Goldsmith
International Software Architect
Apple Computer, Inc.