CJK.INF Version 1.1 (TOC Included Here)

From: Ken Lunde (lunde@mv.us.adobe.com)
Date: Mon Jun 12 1995 - 17:11:30 EDT

------- Blind-Carbon-Copy

To: lunde
Subject: CJK.INF Version 1.1 (TOC Included Here)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 95 15:11:30 MDT
From: "Ken Lunde" <lunde>

        Last Friday I made the Version 1.0 release of CJK.INF. I made
some minor changes over the weekend, and have just posted Version 1.1
at the following URL (same as before):

  ftp://ftp.ora.com/pub/examples/nutshell/ujip/doc/cjk.inf

This time I will show part of the header, including the full Table of
Contents.
        Regards...

- -- Ken Lunde
   Project Manager, CJK Type Development
   Adobe Systems Incorporated
   lunde@mv.us.adobe.com
   http://jasper.ora.com/lunde/ (WWW Home Page)

CJK.INF Version 1.1 (June 12, 1995)

Copyright (C) 1995 Ken Lunde. All Rights Reserved.

Online Companion to "Understanding Japanese Information Processing"
- - ENGLISH: 1993, O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., ISBN 1-56592-043-0
- - JAPANESE: 1995, SOFTBANK Corporation, ISBN 4-89052-708-7

        This online document provides information on CJK (that is,
Chinese, Japanese, and Korean) character set standards and encoding
systems. In short, it provides detailed information on how CJK text is
handled electronically. I am happy to share this information with
others, and I would appreciate any comments/feedback on its
content. The current version (master copy) of this document is
maintained at:

  ftp://ftp.ora.com/pub/examples/nutshell/ujip/doc/cjk.inf

This file may also be obtained by contacting me directly using one of
the e-mail addresses listed in the CONTACT INFORMATION section.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

  RESTRICTIONS
  CONTACT INFORMATION
  WHAT HAPPENED TO JAPAN.INF?
  DISCLAIMER
  CONVENTIONS
  INTRODUCTION
  PART 1: WHAT'S UP WITH UJIP?
  PART 2: CJK CHARACTER SET STANDARDS
    2.1: JAPANESE
      2.1.1: JIS X 0201-1976
      2.1.2: JIS X 0208-1990
      2.1.3: JIS X 0212-1990
      2.1.4: JIS X 0221-1995
      2.1.5: OBSOLETE STANDARDS
    2.2: CHINESE (PRC)
      2.2.1: GB 1988-89
      2.2.2: GB 2312-80
      2.2.3: GB 6345.1-86
      2.2.4: GB 7589-87
      2.2.5: GB 7590-87
      2.2.6: GB 8565.2-88
      2.2.7: GB/T 12345-90
      2.2.8: GB/T 13131-94
      2.2.9: GB/T 13132-94
      2.2.10: GB 13000.1-95
      2.2.11: OBSOLETE STANDARDS
    2.3: CHINESE (TAIWAN)
      2.3.1: BIG FIVE
      2.3.2: CNS 11643-1992
      2.3.3: CNS 5205
      2.3.4: OBSOLETE STANDARDS
    2.4: KOREAN
      2.4.1: KS C 5636
      2.4.2: KS C 5601-1992
      2.4.3: KS C 5657-1991
      2.4.4: OBSOLETE STANDARDS
    2.5: CJK
      2.5.1: ISO 10646-1:1993
  PART 3: CJK ENCODING SYSTEMS
    3.1: 7-BIT ISO 2022 ENCODING
      3.1.1: CODE SPACE
      3.1.2: ISO-REGISTERED ESCAPE SEQUENCES
    3.2: EUC ENCODING
      3.2.1: JAPANESE REPRESENTATION
      3.2.2: CHINESE (PRC) REPRESENTATION
      3.2.3: CHINESE (TAIWAN) REPRESENTATION
      3.2.4: KOREAN REPRESENTATION
    3.3: LOCALE-SPECIFIC ENCODINGS
      3.3.1: SHIFT-JIS
      3.3.2: HZ
      3.3.3: zW
      3.3.4: BIG FIVE
      3.3.5: JOHAB
      3.3.6: UCS-2
      3.3.7: UCS-4
      3.3.8: BASE64
      3.3.9: UTF-7
      3.3.10: UTF-8
      3.3.11: UTF-16
  PART 4: CJK CHARACTER SET COMPATIBILITY ISSUES
    4.1: JAPANESE
    4.2: CHINESE (PRC)
    4.3: CHINESE (TAIWAN)
    4.3: KOREAN
    4.4: ISO 10646-1:1993
    4.5: CODE CONVERSION TIPS
  PART 5: CJK-CAPABLE OPERATING SYSTEMS
    5.1: MS-DOS
    5.2: WINDOWS
    5.3: MACINTOSH
    5.4: UNIX AND X WINDOWS
    5.5: OTHERS
  PART 6: CJK TEXT AND INTERNET SERVICES
    6.1: ELECTRONIC MAIL
    6.2: USENET NEWS
    6.3: GOPHER
    6.4: WORLD-WIDE WEB
    6.5: FILE TRANSFER TIPS
  PART 7: CJK TEXT HANDLING SOFTWARE
    7.1: MULE
    7.2: CNPRINT
    7.3: ADOBE TYPE MANAGER (ATM)
    7.4: MACINTOSH SOFTWARE
  A FINAL NOTE
  ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
  APPENDIX A: INFORMATION SOURCES
    A.1: USENET NEWSGROUPS AND MAILING LISTS
      A.1.1: USENET NEWSGROUPS
      A.1.2: MAILING LISTS
    A.2: INTERNET RESOURCES
      A.2.1: USEFUL FTP SITES
      A.2.2: USEFUL TELNET SITES
      A.2.3: USEFUL GOPHER SITES
      A.2.4: USEFUL WWW SITES
      A.2.5: USEFUL MAIL SERVERS
    A.3: OTHER RESOURCES
      A.3.1: BOOKS
      A.3.2: MAGAZINES
      A.3.3: JOURNALS
      A.3.4: RFCs
      A.3.5: FAQs

RESTRICTIONS

        This document is provided free-of-charge to *anyone*, but no
person or company is permitted to modify, sell, or otherwise
distribute it for profit or other purposes. This document may be
bundled with commercial products only with the prior consent from the
author, and provided that it is not modified in any way whatsoever.
The point here is that I worked long and hard on this document so that
lots of fine folks can benefit from its contents -- not profit from
it.

CONTACT INFORMATION

        I would enjoy hearing from readers of this document, even if
it is just to say "hello" or whatever. I can be contacted as follows:

  Ken Lunde
  Adobe Systems Incorporated
  1585 Charleston Road
  P.O. Box 7900