Re: Language identifier proposals request

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 02 1995 - 15:23:39 EDT

    [elided]

    Asmus> To summarize: Any proposal needs to address these issues

    Asmus> - how the ID is designed (numeric, string, etc.)
    Asmus> - how one can tell from the id that 2 languages are substitutable
    Asmus> - how the ID is incorportated into a data stream (default
    Asmus> protocol)
    Asmus> - suggested initial assignments of ID values

Asmus, thanks for the description.

What was going to be our proposal to the UTC will now simply be
submitted to the mailing list after an internal review. Rick McGowan
kindly reminded me that language identification is not really within
the scope of the Unicode Standard.

Our approach details three of the four points you mentioned above,
but doesn't really discuss "substitutability" per se. That kind of
information can easily be encoded in our approach.

I can see the neccessity of "substitutablility"; particularly in the
context of many commercial systems that provide language support in
modular form.
mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu
Mark Leisher "The trick is not gaining the knowledge,
Computing Research Lab but surviving the lessons."
New Mexico State University -- "Svaha," Charles de Lint
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL
Las Cruces, NM 88003