Identifying languages

From: Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no
Date: Mon Sep 04 1995 - 02:38:53 EDT

Hello,
I got a CC of a message about a "Language identifier proposals request"
involving UNICODE.

I would just like to draw your attention to the RFC I wrote, RFC 1766, which
set up an open registry outside ISO for registering language codes while we
wait for the standards to be worked out.

This proposal was written for text-oriented media like E-mail; the procedures
for registering are, however, independent of the representation used, and, I
think, worth considering for any language scheme.

It would be great if we could achieve at least some commonality, so that any
language scheme would at least be possible to translate into the other.

              Harald T. Alvestrand