Re: Language identifier proposals request

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 04 1995 - 19:32:00 EDT

    Asmus> You wrote:
>> Asmus, thanks for the description.
>>
>> What was going to be our proposal to the UTC will now simply be
>> submitted to the mailing list after an internal review. Rick
>> McGowan kindly reminded me that language identification is not
>> really within the scope of the Unicode Standard.

    Asmus> There is growing recognition that there are subjects
    Asmus> closely related to the subject matter of the Unicod
    Asmus> Standard proper, for which a work-item in the UTC would
    Asmus> meet the interest of the membership. Let me make clear that
    Asmus> Unicode will consider these situations carefully, but is
    Asmus> open to proposals resulting in new work items. In case of
    Asmus> lanuguage identifiers, this discussion keeps re-surfacing
    Asmus> and therefore it might well become appropriate to consider
    Asmus> some form of Unicode publication, perhaps a technical
    Asmus> report. For this matter to make progress you would need to
    Asmus> find support in the membership as well as find one or more
    Asmus> volunteers to do the technical work in between
    Asmus> meetings. One thing I could see as useful would be to
    Asmus> publish a survey of existing schemes along with any new
    Asmus> proposal meeting the demands I outlined in my last
    Asmus> mail. Your mailing has generated some responses already
    Asmus> that might be useful.

Hmm. Some more work might make it reasonably complete enough to
submit to the UTC.

    Asmus> PS: were you planning to attend the Unicode Conference?

Yes. I'll be there.
mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu
Mark Leisher "The trick is not gaining the knowledge,
Computing Research Lab but surviving the lessons."
New Mexico State University -- "Svaha," Charles de Lint
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL
Las Cruces, NM 88003