Determining "blocks" for rendering directionality

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 08 1995 - 14:57:15 EDT

Up to now, we have been pre-processing plain text on a case-by-case
basis to segment into "blocks" for the purpose of determining
directionality for rendering.

Before attempting something more sophisticated, we wanted to check for
approaches to this problem.

We would greatly appreciate any info or pointers to literature on this
(as long as you aren't giving away any trade secrets :-).

I understand there was a Scientific American article some years ago
that described the approach that Xerox used. Does anyone know
off-hand which issue that article appeared in?
mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu
Mark Leisher "The trick is not gaining the knowledge,
Computing Research Lab but surviving the lessons."
New Mexico State University -- "Svaha," Charles de Lint
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL
Las Cruces, NM 88003