Re: Character classification and casing and locales

From: Rick McGowan (Rick_McGowan@next.com)
Date: Tue Nov 26 1996 - 13:43:04 EST

There are two separate questions:

1. Is anyone working on Locale support for Unicode encoded strings?

I suppose people are doing such things, but I don't have a definitive answer.
There are some tables that the consortium provides for DEFAULT character
classification, etc.

2. Are there any better ways to do [upper/lower-casing, etc], and other locale
dependent character operations?

The Unicode FTP site, and the standard, provides a default upper/lower case
table. I think that this particular operation is typically the same
everywhere, with the exception of the dotted upper-case "I" in Turkish. You
could use the table as a default, if you don't have other information you'd
prefer to use.

        Rick