Re: Character classification and casing and locales

From: Ulrich Drepper (drepper@myware.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de)
Date: Tue Nov 26 1996 - 20:58:42 EST

unicode@Unicode.ORG writes:

> There are two separate questions:
>
> 1. Is anyone working on Locale support for Unicode encoded strings?
>
> I suppose people are doing such things, but I don't have a definitive answer.
> There are some tables that the consortium provides for DEFAULT character
> classification, etc.

All implementation following the ISO C amendment 1 should be able to
handle Unicode characters. You only need the correct character set
description.

The code I wrote for the GNU libc works like this. You only need the
official POSIX locale and character set descriptions, compile them
using localedef and you are set.

This is for glibc-2.0, not 1.09.

-- Uli
--------------. drepper@cygnus.com ,-. Rubensstrasse 5