Re: The Surrounding Combining Class

Date: Mon Dec 02 1996 - 15:02:40 EST

Prologue: Notes Address: Lisa Moore/Santa Teresa/IBM@IBMUS
  VM Address: IBMUSM50 (LISAM)
  Internet Address:
  Phone: (408) 463-3152

The Surrounding class is very similar to the Enclosing class - it has the class
of base characters. They are combining characters that surround what they
combine with. The bullet under Combining Classes on page 3-10 of Unicode V2
should mention them as well as enclosing and spacing combining characters
("Enclosing characters and spacing combining characters have the class of base

Lisa Moore

        unicode @ Unicode.ORG
        12-01-96 01:06 PM
Please respond to

To: unicode @ Unicode.ORG@internet
Subject: The Surrounding Combining Class

The Unicode Standard 2.0, p 4-4, in Table 4-3, Combining Classes,
uses the subhead "Surrounding" for 06DD and 06DE. I did not find
an explanation of "surrounding" elsewhere in the book (though
I could well have missed it). What does it mean?

    Terry Allen Fujitsu Software Corp.
"In going on with these experiments, how many pretty systems do we build,
 which we soon find outselves obliged to destroy?" - Benjamin Franklin
  A Davenport Group Sponsor: