Re: HTML - i18n / NCR & charsets

From: Hohberger, Clive P. (cphohber@zebra.com)
Date: Mon Dec 02 1996 - 16:58:00 EST

Back when I was collecting coins... long ago...I heard another story about
how the
US Dollar sign came into use. This may be apocryphal, but here it is

During the mid 1800's US dollar coins used a stylized US with a narrow U
embedded
in the wider S. This became the $ WITH 2 LINES which over the years modern
typographers
gradually replaced with the SINGLE LINE $, which was often typeset as the
Spanish Blazon.

US ... into 2 lines... into 1 line... into $. Hmmmm.. sounds definitely
like currency devaluation to me.

Clive :-)}
 ---------