Should I laugh or cry?

From: Tel 34424 (Lazaros.TOSSOUNIDIS@DI.cec.be)
Date: Tue Dec 17 1996 - 11:04:15 EST

Misha wrote to Unicode@unicode.org:

> "I've just received this from a colleague ...Misha

The referred to message is:

">Misha

>fyi - it's a shame Brussels' software evidently does not support
>Unicode. I don't know if you have heard, but a European Commissioner is
>going to sit at a terminal today(?) to answer questions on line via the
>Internet. Questions can be in any language except Greek because "the
>Internet software can not support it".
>
>Phil "

My answer:

 "There isn't obviously such a thing as "Brussels' software " except perhaps for people ingoring either what sofware is or what Brussels is or
   - the most probable- what both are.
   What is meant here indeed is THE INTERNATIONAL SOFTWARE, mainly produced in the USA by well known vendors and actors in the computing buiseness and which thought for many years that the only existing language in the world was English/US Ascii/Ansi. Officials in the EC have been striving and struggling
   for the last 7 years to change this state of affairs and in many regards they have succeded. So, I understand, that this message is rather addressed to the
   - american - vendors of software (and hardware ?) than to the "European Commissioners". !

 Regards
 Lazaros TOSSOUNIDIS
 EC - Informatics Directorate
 Luxembourg