language and country codes

From: TE Khai-su (kaihsu@Ptt.m8.ntu.edu.tw)
Date: Sat Dec 21 1996 - 04:53:08 EST

> =2Ede Deutsch
> =2Efr Fran=E7ais

This piece of mail is slightly misleading. It tried to correspond ONE
language to ONE country and vice versa. This is not applicable to
non-nation states which has more than one language groups in each
country. There are two separate International Standards from ISO, one
for country names, one for language names. I don't have the ISO numbers
off the memory but you can find them out.

BTW, I still support these country/language codes to be mnemonic in the
language concerned instead of in some other language (e.g., English).

Khai-su