RE: Hyphenation Points

From: Murray Sargent (murrays@microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Jan 06 1997 - 14:40:24 EST

ANSI (and therefore Unicode) has the soft hyphen (U+00AD), which is a
normally zero-width character that can be used as a hyphenation point.
This is designed to fulfill your second request.

ZWJ has different semantics from a "don't hyphenate here" (ZWDH)
character, which is used to overrule hyphenation algorithms. ZWJ is
used to control joining of cursive fonts, and in principle might allow
hyphenation at such a point. I can't find any Unicode character that
means "don't hyphenate here", but I have found such a character to be
useful in word processing. It would be possible to mark such a
relationship using parallel rich text, but that does seem to be heavy
weight. In view of the presense of similar kinds of punctuation
symbols, e.g., ZWJ and ZWNJ, I think it would make sense to add a ZWDH
character to Unicode.

Murray