Re: Roadmap for the future allocation of UCS characters w/r

From: Alain LaBont/e'/ (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 09 1997 - 16:41:27 EST

At 13:11 97-01-09 -0800, unicode@Unicode.ORG wrote:
>Classification:
>Prologue:
>Epilogue:
>
>Right now the UTC is recommending that the IRG manage the allocation of Han
>characters in Plane 2.
>
>Lisa Moore

Thanks Lisa... It's been a long time since I heard about you.

I understand this but it would be nice if, within plane 2, or within any
eventual chunk allocated eventually in the BMP (plane 0), that it be
allocated by chunks related to radical/strokecount segments. After all we
know what is the number of radicals, we know the order of magnitude of the
number of characters in the most comprehensive Hanzi dictionaries and we
could even make provision for even more characters to be created.

It is desirable that allocation not be made randomly for such a huge
character set. For small numbers of characters, it would not matter for
ordering purposes at all, but for this one, otherwise we risk future
nightmares when making default ordering tables (by radical and/or
strokecount) in ISO/IEC 14651 for extra Chinese characters that will have to
be inserted in the nicely-ordered set of Han characters in the current
UCS/UNICODE.

Best Regards. I wish to see you once again soon in some meeting. Good
philosophical discussions in perspective, in particular if our common friend
Michael Everson is present (-;

Alain LaBonti
Quibec