Re: Roadmap for the future allocation of UCS characters w/r

From: Alain LaBont/e'/ (alb@riq.qc.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 09 1997 - 19:30:23 EST

At 15:35 97-01-09 -0800, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
>If ISO/IEC 14651 is set up in such a way that establishment of a standard
>default order for Han characters can be so disrupted by the encoding of
>an additional Han character somewhere else "out of order" that Alain
>speaks of "future nightmares" for that standard, would it not make more
>sense to simply insist on publication of a defined radical/strokecount
>for each Han character in 10646 (as an annex to 10646?) and then have
>14651 simply designate the default sort order for Han to be by the
>radical/strokecount as defined in 10646? That information, if published
>in machine-readable form, would enable any implementer to adjust a
>radical/strokecount collation table fairly automatically as new Han
>character sets are added to 10646.

What an excellent idea! I applaude to it and am ready to support it...
however doing this is as much of a monk's task than the nightmare I was
talking about, with the burden of making it *in addition* for current
characters, but if the IRG does the task, I am ready to gladly accept it
immediately.

Alain LaBonti
Quibec