Re: Devanagari

From: Sandeep Sibal (
Date: Fri Jan 10 1997 - 02:48:12 EST

Unicode.ORG! wrote:
> You seem to under-estimate the requirements for compatibility with ISCII and
> at the same time over-estimate our ability to break new ground. The need for
> compatibility in translating existing data from ISCII to Unicode and back in
> as straightforward a manner as possible (i.e., one-to-one linear mapping) is
> extremely high.

I admit, I am unfamiliar with the inner workings of Unicode. Further,
to defend Unicode, outside of CDAC's GIST group that have established a
glyph set for their ISFOC fonts, there isnt much for Unicode to work
What I would like is for some such discussion to at least start
We may have missed the bus with Unicode, but perhaps there is value in
specifying a more elaborate encoding scheme for Devanagari on its own.

> If you can provide overwhelming evidence that these forms do represent graphemic
> distinctions (as opposed to merely allographic), then it is possible that your
> desires could be met. In the mean time, accept what is there as a given.

Is this standard procedure .. shoving alphabet soup at an outsider who
kicks up dust?!

Best wishes,

> Regards,
> Glenn Adams