Re: Place of Prayer symbol

From: Terry Allen (
Date: Fri Jan 10 1997 - 19:06:21 EST

Thanks. I have used quite a few Qur'ans and concordances
in research on Islamic art, and I can affirm that there
is no glyph like this one in Egyptian printed Qur'ans.
However, I suspect that the glyph may not be what the
Egyptian national body originally intended: it looks as
though it stands for a mihrab (a physical place of prayer),
but perhaps what was intended is a spot in a text. That
would make it similar to the (Qur'anic) 06DD and 06DE.

    Terry Allen Fujitsu Software Corp.
"In going on with these experiments, how many pretty systems do we build,
 which we soon find outselves obliged to destroy?" - Benjamin Franklin
  A Davenport Group Sponsor: