Re: Roadmap for the future allocation of UCS characters w/r

From: Doug Schiffer (dschiffer@servtech.com)
Date: Sun Jan 12 1997 - 23:15:21 EST

unicode@Unicode.ORG wrote:

> At 12:11 97-01-11 -0800, Doug Schiffer wrote:
> >Lookup tables are cheap these days, and we can easily
> >have a Chinese stroke order table, Japanese stroke order table,
> >Mandarin pronunciation table, Cantonese, Korean,......
>
> The problem is to make them, not to use them... If you have access to > such a
> table for all Han characters, I want to be among the first ones to > know it
> (: I would immediately use it to make ordering tables...

It's already been done. The unihan.txt file that is available on
the the Unicode.org site has the following fields (this is
taken from the header to the unihan.txt file):

kRSJapanese 64.13
 A Japanese radical/stroke count for this character in
 the form "radical.additional strokes". A ' after the radical indicates
 the simplified version of the given radical
kRSKanWa 129.6
 A Morohashi radical/stroke count for this character in the form
 "radical.additional strokes". A ' after the radical indicates
 the simplified version of the given radical
kRSKangXi 75.7
 A KangXi radical/stroke count for this character in the form
 "radical.additional strokes". A ' after the radical indicates
 the simplified version of the given radical
kRSKorean
 A Korean radical/stroke count for this character in the form
 "radical.additional strokes". A ' after the radical indicates
 the simplified version of the given radical
kRSUnicode
A standard radical/stroke count for this character in the form
 "radical.additional strokes". A ' after the radical indicates
 the simplified version of the given radical

I did a little count of the file, and here are the stats on how many
entries each field has:
RSJapanese 198
RSKanWa 158
RSKangXi 21108
RSKorean 20
RSUnicode 21204 (which is 100% of the characters)

Beware, however. The file is quite large! There are many, many
fields, and there are over 21,000 characters.