Re: switching ISO 2022 <-> Unicode

From: John Plaice (plaice@iad.ift.ulaval.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 16 1997 - 21:55:17 EST

> Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>
> > ISO 2022 has a mechanism to change to other encoding schemes. It would be
> > nice to have a certain control character in Unicode which do a similar
> > thing.
> > Comments?
>
> Actually, I think this is not such a good idea for Unicode, which was
> designed precisely to AVOID such things. If you need to support ISO-2022,
> perhaps you could just support it; and then invoke Unicode within it if
> you need to? It think there is an ISO-2022 invocation sequence for
> Unicode...some standards guru may know.
>
> And the CNS issue is something that the CJK IRG is working on, certainly,
> and eventually there will (likely) be a solution that satisfies the
> community which needs the said CNS characters. I wouldn't look upon
> this as a permanent disability of Unicode. If you have specific character
> requirements, you could forward those. I'm under the impression that
> Unicode's CNS coverage is already adequate for all but the most obscure
> situations.
>
> Rick

Be serious, Rick, there will ALWAYS be characters that are not encoded
in Unicode, for various reasons. The fact that Unicode does not provide
for other means for encoding other character sets ensures that people
who are forced to deal with such characters will have to come up with
ad hoc means for setting up character set changes.

John