Re: switching ISO 2022 <-> Unicode

From: Martin J. Duerst (mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch)
Date: Sat Jan 18 1997 - 11:13:07 EST

On Sat, 18 Jan 1997 Michael Everson wrote:

> Glenn wrote:
>
> >The details of the additional planes are yet to be decided. WG2 is just
> >in the midst of drafting a scope document for the next part of 10646, i.e.,
> >10646-2, which will cover one more more additional planes (whether one or
> >more is still to be determined). Don't get too far ahead of the process
> >here.
>
> For what it's worth, I will support its covering at least Plane 1 and Plane
> 2. Plane 1 might contain something like what's at
> http://www.indigo.ie/egt/standards/iso10646/plane-1-roadmap-table.html ;
> Plane 2 might be nothing but CKJ characters (could they actually fill it, I
> wonder?)

Over time, if not all of it, a significant amount of such a plane
will be filled up to justify the allocation of an entire plane to CJKV
characters. However, to define each character, much work is necessary,
and any expectation to fill up the plane in due time for 10646-2 will
may delay its advancement.

Regards, Martin.